Start by marking “Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)” as Want to Read:
Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)

Martin the Warrior

(Redwall #6)

Finally, the long awaited tale of Martin, the Warrior mouse of Redwall

As a child, Martin was brought to the stronghold of Badrang the Tyrant, forced into enslavement behind its massive walls. But he was strong. He was brave. And mere escape was not his plan as long as his father’s sword rested in Badrang’s ruthless fist…
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published September 30th 1999 by Ace (first published October 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Martin the Warrior, please sign up.
Kimberly If you wanted to read this series in chronological order, you could definitely start here and everything would make perfect sense.…moreIf you wanted to read this series in chronological order, you could definitely start here and everything would make perfect sense. (less)

Start your review of Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
Kogiopsis
One of the things I came across when I was young and completely obsessed with Redwall was a quote from Brian Jacques, in the introduction to 'Redwall Friend and Foe' where he stated, emphatically, "Goodies are good!" I can't help thinking about that when I think about this book, because here's the thing: while on its surface Redwall can look like a series with black and white morality, where certain people are good and others are bad, the stories themselves often overturn those expectations, and ...more
Annie Hawthorne
I think I will just find a blankie, and a corner to cry my heart out in.
Stephan Sevenyoln
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Martin the Warrior is probably one of the best Redwall books. While the writing is decidedly clunky at best, you never notice once you get into the book. Martin the Warrior has everything; it has the drama, the sadness, the love and hate of The Lord of the Rings.
It also has the revenge and hate of Felldoh, and off course the sadness of the death's of some central characters.
I felt the difference between Martin and Felldoh strongly; Felldoh was imprisoned all his life, and was forever changed
Josiah
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
"It's a long hard road ahead for you, little warrior. Enjoy a happy day while you can."

—Boldred, Martin the Warrior, P. 267

"Don't think about what you could have done, concentrate on what you plan to do; it is more useful."

—Boldred, P. 335

The ability of Brian Jacques to create an entirely new world that is bursting at the seams with deep, suspensefully plotted adventures, characters overflowing with originality and life, and epic, imaginative quests that could appeal to even the most
Nikki
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hadn’t thought of rereading these seriously until I realised that reading a childhood book was on the list for a reading challenge, and then my sister returned all my copies to make room on her shelves for her own books. Then I thought, well, why not? I remember that I found the books getting a bit repetitive as the series went on (and on, and on) but Martin the Warrior was the first I read, and it’s obvious why it hooked me as a kid. It’s a little bit deterministic — rats are evil, mice are ...more
Kevin Xu
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, re-read
This was the book that got me into fantasy, and fill in love with reading. My teacher in grade school loved the story, and all my friends read the series. So I gave it a try on audio, and felt in love with audio and this series. This is my favorite book of the Redwall series. I just love the character of Martin the Warrior. This origin story really shows how he came from nothing into the one of the greatest leaders and warrior in the land. The ending of the book is the cause and origins of ...more
Joseph Leskey
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
This was extremely well written and entertaining. I enjoyed it vastly.
hedgehog
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
These books are Chicken Soup For The Anthropomorphic-Animal-Loving Soul and I could not get enough of them. Still comfortable nostalgia reads! This made better use of the Redwall formula than most, partly because the semi-sympathetic treatment of a couple of the vermin characters gave that side a bit more nuance, partly because there's a real melancholy running through Martin's story. Knowing his legacy ups the poignancy factor of seeing him here, at the beginning of his journey.

(view spoiler)
Eric Starr
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A classic, definitely one of the best Redwall stories out there. Even if you've never read a Redwall book, this one gets you started on one of the oldest and most important of the stories, centering on the great warrior mouse, Martin. It may not be the first in the series, though these books do have a wonderful way of functioning perfectly fine no matter which one you start with (I've found). Adventure, love, courage, tears, humor, the Brain Jacques-experience.

The story itself, without spoiling
B.J. Richardson
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book to read over the Thanksgiving weekend. There is plenty of feasting, song, and gratitude shown. The first two are elements in all of the Redwall series. For those unfamiliar with Brian Jacques, he writes an of an animal based world that brings memories of Narnia or Watership Down. Martin the Warrior is the sixth book written but I believe the second one if you are to read them chronologically. This one, like all of his books, is what a children's story should be. The ...more
Edward Davies
This wasn't bad, but like much of the historical Redwall books I felt like this was just a bit of filler, retreading many of the same beats from previous books.
Tim Milligan
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
It gets off to a bit of a slow start, I thought, but it all pays off pretty well, especially in the character of Brome. Also has plenty of anything characters, such as The Warden.
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
So, this is possibly the best Redwall book that Jacques ever wrote. It’s focused (no random sideplots that have nothing to do with the main one), it has a lot of characters but doesn’t jump between them too much a la Salamandastron, it has unique features that depart from the formulas of previous books, and the ending is simply fantastic (but also sad).

And the number one reason why this book is so great is:

(view spoiler) WHHHHHYYYYYYYY?

(view spoiler)
Oz Barton
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Like many, I grew up adoring the Redwall series, so it pains me to give this two stars now.

This past summer I found my collection of Redwall books — I have the first dozen — and chose to reread this one because it was, in my opinion at the time, the best of them.

And frankly, it isn't all that great.

The writing itself is depressingly mediocre, the plot (like all of them) meandering and predictable. The colloquial quirks of the different animal species (molespeech, the shrews, etc.) and the
Rick Davis
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques

I had been pretty burnt out on the Redwall books after Mossflower, Mattimeo, and Salamandastron. Redwall was a creative and fun book, but it seemed that all its successors were progressively formulaic and uncreative. Martin the Warrior, however, is a return to the same creative spirit of the original book, and, in my opinion, improves upon it.

The book explores the early life of Martin the Warrior after he has been made a slave by Badrang, the cruel tyrant of
Cindi
Excellent stuff! We will be reading more of the Redwall books. The cast for the audio version was excellent with the bulk of it being read by the author himself (always a treat), plus a whole crew of talented actors.

Martin is brave, strong and everything a hero should be. The bad guys are really bad. The clash between them is almost on par with "The Lord of the Rings," except the story has forest animals as the main characters.

How I love summer road trips. We accomplish so much "reading" this
Alice T.
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
By far the BEST book in the Redwall seiries. Martin is amazing. I listened to the tape when i first heard it but if i had read it i would not have been able to put it down! really great story. i loved it. Rose is really cool also. It is all about how they save a bunch of slaves from searats and other pleasent animals. Really amazing book. Sad at the end but then cheers up. Martin is really cool. You really have to have a certain taste for Brian Jaques style, but most people would like it. The ...more
Angela Mondragon
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Andrew
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: a, literature
The story is pretty thin and the there are a lot of boring parts. I hate that every meal needed to be described in excruciating detail - although it did add to the immersion of the world. Martin the Warrior was cooler when he was just a legend shrouded in mystery.
Joshua Tooth
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also a great read! Really Good Book!
Sarah TheAromaofBooks
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really didn't anticipate getting choked up over the death of a mouse.
Tom Gaetjens
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It's interesting to return to the Redwall books as an adult. They are still as fun-loving and adventurous as I remember even if the characters sometimes feel a flat and archetypal.
Gus
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very exciting story of both loss and victory. After having his father killed by the searat Badrang, Martin must watch as everything he knows is taken from him at a young age. When Badrang and his crew arrive to the coast Martin and his village reside on death and destruction soon follow. Badrang kills all that oppose him and the ones that don't are soon sold into slavery. The slaves then suffer as the turn their once beautiful land into a vicious territory controlled by their ...more
Sunil
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, redwall
Whilst Redwall was very fresh, I found this one a bit of a slog. Martin is a slave to a tyrant who didn’t come across as that scary. The set pieces were ok but lacked the impact of previous versions of the book. The biggest problem with a lot of prequel stories is that you know how things will end in advance.
Chaitea43
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book was a little bit too childish for me, to be honest. I had started Jacques' series years ago as a 12 or 10-year-old, and liked it then, but even then it was a little too easy for the characters, a little too simple-minded for me.

Now it is even moreso since I'm an adult, however...this book does what it sets out to do. It is a heartwarming tale, written in simple yet pretty prose. Jacques' descriptions of landscapes are captivating; he knows how to set a scene. His eating and food scenes
Brigitte
This book is about a mouse named Martin. He lives in a world were all "unworthy" animals are slaved to an animal overlord. Martin, like all of the other slaves hated this overlord and all of his followers. It is Martin's quest to escape his slavery with as many other animals as he can, and defeat the evil overlord. It is all up to Martin to save the slaves.
There are many external conflicts in this book. Many of them are Martin vs. the overlord or one of his followers. One of the more frequent
Ally
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Martin the Warrior is by Brian Jacques. It is fantasy because animals are talking.The main characters are Redwall, Martin, Grumm, Captin Tramun, and Rose. Redwall started out as a small mouse but now he is a hero and is adventurious. Martin is grey mouse with heroic skills. Grumm is a wise mouse and can try to act funny and heroic.Rose is Martin's sister and she is heroic too. Captin Tramun is the bad guy they run into him and he has a bunch of scars. They go to a bunch of places during the ...more
Odhran
Ah, Redwall. A source of much enjoyment to me as a young leveret. Oh the feasts! Oh the adventure! Oh the villains!

Obviously, it doesn't hold up well. I mean, I'm rarely one to be overly focused on poor writing if there are some redeeming features (a good plot will allow me to excuse bad style), but Brian Jacques isn't a very good writer. I know children's books are very often clunky as all hell, but that's not good enough. I can understand wanting to tone down themes a bit for youngsters, but
Kelsey Hanson
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Spoilers ahead!

This one was always my least favorite Redwall novel growing up largely because of its bittersweet ending (But it was still a Redwall book so I still really liked it). Now I have a better appreciation for this novel. Martin is an awesome character and the mythos surrounding him is a driving force throughout the series. I really enjoy the novels that focus on him and his past. Plus I've always enjoyed books that feature the little guy fighting back against an impossible foe. A big
Zheena
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy adventure
Shelves: owned
How does one even begin to relate this epic tail without making this sound like every other Redwall tale? You'll just have to take my word when I say everyone should pick this book up and give it the read it deserves. Martin the Warrior is the sixth installment in the Redwall series and mainly focuses on Martin and his story of becoming the renown warrior we have all heard epic tails about.
There is a little adventuring in the story but the main focus of this tale is the battle of Marshank.
The Dog Ear: Martin the Warrior 1 2 Nov 29, 2018 04:11PM
Am I the only one who loves this book? 28 100 Aug 28, 2014 11:53AM

• Redwall The Graphic Novel
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Hatchling (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #7)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • Fire Bringer
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain, #5)
  • The Shattering (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #5)
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • Miss Nelson Has a Field Day
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • School of Wizardry
  • I Know An Old Woman Who Swallowed A Fly
  • Five Children and It / The Phoenix and the Carpet / The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #1-3)
  • Silver on the Tree
  • Ombra
  • I pattini d'argento
  • Luce
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)
“Throughout his life the memory of that happy day stayed locked secretly in (his) heart.” 45 likes
“It's a long hard road ahead for you, little warrior. Enjoy a happy day while you can.

—Boldred”