Start by marking “Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)

Wicked Fix

(Home Repair is Homicide #3)

Do-it-yourself killer fixes small-town thug . . .

For ex-Wall Streeter Jacobia Tiptree and her teenaged son, Sam, September promises tranquil days winter-proofing their rambling handyman's special of a home in Eastport, Maine. But there's nothing idyllic about this Down East autumn. For starters, the return of truly vicious native son Reuben Tate stirs up the town. And when
Published April 4th 2000 by Bantam

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this one more - the mystery was intricate enough, the suspects led the main on a merry enough chase through the town interviewing....but there seemed to some sense of lack of urgency. I didn't want the innocent guy to stay in jail and be sentenced to prison, but beyond that I couldn't focus on emotions other than the logics of it. It doesn't help that there isn't any humor, relationship spark, and that most of the characters get along so well.

It's an already
Gwen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghastly ghostly

Sorry but the overdone description caused me to skim and scan, losing focus. Too many twists and turns made it seem unrealistic to me. SOS
Renee
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love, love, love Jacobia Tiptree. I love -- in theory -- Easport, Maine, where she lives. (I say "in theory" because I'm pretty sure that, after just one winter there, I'd be begging to go somewhere -- perhaps anywhere -- else.) I love the way Jake keeps working on her very old house, I love the townspeople of Eastport, I love the culture of downeast Maine. And, perhaps above all, I love Sarah Graves for her writing and ideas that have given me all of these things to love.

I'm already reading t
Karen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable mystery, set in a favorite town of mine, Eastport, Maine!
Margaret
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the first two books mildly entertaining. I especially enjoyed the depiction of the setting, Maine. This book may be the last one I bother with from Sarah Graves. The story is a stretch for credulity in a few ways, but my issue with this book is the author’s repeated, completely unnecessary and offensive description of one character in particular.

The plot revolves around a bully and the fallout from being cruel to others. Ms. Graves isn’t satisfied with a transient character being a mean
C
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Jacobia lives in "down east" Maine (across from Campobello Island, NB) in a small fishing/tourist town. Her ex-husband has settled there as well and they are trying to live harmoniously while she fixes up her historic home.

However, Victor (her ex) has been charged with the murder of the town's local bully and Jacobia and friends try to solve the case and prove Victor's innocence.

I liked the descriptions of the town and the surrounding area. It made rural Maine and NB sound so quaint and, if I d
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it

Reuben Tate, Eastport bad boy and all around troublemaker has come back. He has no friends just plenty of enemies. Reuban is found dead shortly after his arrival and the number one suspect is Victor!

Victor is arrested and put in jail. Jacobia knows Victor did not kill him and sets out with help from her friend Ellie to find out who really killed Reuban (and Weasle). So many people have motive and someone is also trying to scare Jacobia into stop looking for the real killer.

This is book three i
Lynn Pribus
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third in this not-new series I have just discovered and I'm tickled by them. Set in the author's hometown of Eastport, Maine, which is on the coast near the Canadian border. Almost a cozy, but there are bodies and bad guys.

Written with charm, with what one of my writers' groups used to disparage as "chicheys" (chiches) but they are always in dialogue, and occasional (and I'm sure deliberate) overblown adverbs, ("she said worriedly and he replied worriedly").

I guess I'd term it a tong
Carlin
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I adore this wonderful mystery series. I know I've read many of these books in the past (before I began using Goodreads) but this one was definitely new to me, and such fun! The team of Jacobia "Jake" and her friend Ellie are great sleuths. The other characters are also fully realized. The mystery in this case had its roots in Eastport, Maine's past when those who lived there as children were bullied by Reuben Tate. Reuben has returned to the island stirring up old ghosts. When Jake and Ellie fi ...more
Beverly
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies, mystery
Enter Stage Left one Reuben Tate, Eastport's worst bad seed and bully. He's been away for awhile but since it's the yearly Salmon Festival he has decided to come back to his home town. Unfortunately for the entire town, this isn't just a friendly visit to say 'hi' to everyone. Instead he's here for a more nefarious reason and one that is going to lead Jacobia Tiptree into a web of horror unlike any she has ever witnessed before.

Sarah Graves can weave a tale with twists and turns that take the re
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was almost a 3 star. It’s just not quite there for me yet. There’s SO much going on in this book, in all different directions. Then we get so many new characters with not much of a description or back story.. or much of a feel from our main character. Then they all just kind of blend together or you forget about them.

It was a good story to tell but it was just SO dragged out that I found myself zoning out at parts. Then something would happen and I’d have to back track because I had no idea
Kathy
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to read this before I sent in on to someone who wanted it. This is the 3rd in a series, I think I have read a couple of others. I don't care that much about it, guess I am just not into her fixing up her house all the time.

In this book Jacobia's ex husband is accused of murdering a man in a very violent way. Because she still has financial investments involving him, she and her friend set about investigating who really killed the man and why. Could be because he had been a rotten, evil
Peter Barr
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wicked Fix is the third in the Jacobia Tiptree series by Sarah Graves. Jacobia Tiptree is renovating an old house in easternmost coastal Maine. She has friends and family and solves murders that fall in her lap. This one has her ex-husband arrested for a gruesome homicide of a bad character who had returned recently to town. Jacobia Tiptree has to find out the killer to save her nest egg which is tied up in her ex-husband's business. It is a pretty good read.
Tim Dooley
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enthralling book...

I've read the first three books in A Home Repair is Homicide series and have enjoyed them. I'm very pleased to need to spend several hours to read each rather than finishing them under an hour as is the case with many cozies. Thank you, Sarah!
Tina
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Jacobia (Jake) Tiptree and her gal pal Ellie are once again thrust into a murder mystery in the small Maine town of Eastport. The victim is a man everyone in town hated, and the prime suspect is Jake's ex-husband, Victor.
Rhonda
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good
Trudy Gleason
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book, I feel sorry for the little girl.
Ed Graves
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read

Entertaining and with a great cast of characters that kept engaged with the story. I enjoy Sarah Graves style of writing.
Victoria
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of it I had figured out early one, and one or two things I didn't but I do like these for work on audio.
Susan Beyerle
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun, light, like the main character
Jean Bolan
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A typical Sarah Graves: the usual formula but fun.
Marcia Frederick
Twista and Turns!!

Excellent read! Complex plot line tied up with well developed characters! It was hard to put down, so I didn't!
Tina Miller
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
So far, so good ... nothing repetitive about the plots and the characters keep changing and growing.
Stacy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-romance
This was an audiobook ....I really enjoyed this mystery it held my interest all the way through.
Avid Series Reader
Wicked Fix is the third book of the Home Repair is Homicide mystery series by Sarah Graves, set in modern time on the easternmost point of the US: Eastport Maine.

Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree used to be a financial wizard on Wall Street, married to brain surgeon Victor. After they divorced, she happened to stop in Eastport while on a business trip, and fell in love with the small town environment, so different from Manhattan. She purchased an historic old house complete with ghost, that takes all her
Barbara
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Love this series. Well thought-out, well crafted and well-written mysteries.

Yes, Jake (Jacobia Tiptree), and her best friend and partner in crime, Ellie White, do stick their nose into the murders that occur in the small town in Maine where they reside. (Remind you of Murder She Wrote for this particular detail? – Trust me; this series is better.) Jake is a recent transplant to the town, with her teen-age son, Sam, while Ellie is a native and her family has a long history in the town.

These are
Sharon
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Third in the series. Love the voice. Good writing and plotting. Characters are interesting, descriptions vivid and the flavor of the location is great. The story is compelling, I will probably not forget this book, but that's both good and bad. Didn't figure it out ahead of time.
Sara
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Single mom Jacobia Triptree has her hands full, raising a teenage son, dealing with an ex-husband, and performing some much needed home repair on her very old house. But soon life becomes even more complex as town thug Reuben is murdered and Jacobia’s ex husband is arrested. While Jacobia has no love lost for her ex, he is the father of her child and she intuitively knows that despite the evidence, her ex is not a murderer.

Through the locals, Jacobia starts learning the vile and vengeful histor
Lori Gronewold
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I love reading/listening series because there is a history with the characters. What I hate is when the history is forgotten or changed. At the end of the first book, Ellie's mother was arrested for a murder, her and her parents lived across the street from Jacobia and Ellie's family was broke. Also, Jacobia, was going to give Ellie money left to Jacobia by a friend.

In this book Ellie's parents were dead and left her enough money for her to invest, how did this happen?

Also, I am so confused abo
Lisa
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best in the series so far.
Play Book Tag: Wicked Fix - Sarah Graves - 4 stars 1 11 Jul 11, 2016 06:21PM
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Tucker's Last Stand
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Third Strike (Brady Coyne/J.W. Jackson #3)
  • The Captain
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder on the House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Cat in a Yellow Spotlight (Midnight Louie #26)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)