Start by marking “We're Going on a Bear Hunt” as Want to Read:
We're Going on a Bear Hunt

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  36,850 Ratings  ·  1,244 Reviews
Come along on a bear hunt in this award-winning classic from Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury. We’re going on a bear hunt. We’re going to catch a big one.. Will you come too? For more than twenty-five years readers have been swishy swashing and splash sploshing through this award-winning favorite. Join in the fun!
Published January 1st 2003 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about We're Going on a Bear Hunt, please sign up.
Maria Fernanda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kirk
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Masochists
Recommended to Kirk by: Masochists
A Scathing Review of We're Going on a Bear Hunt, aka "The Children's Guide to Passive Suicide"

Before we go any further, a little context:

There are plenty of children's books about self destructive impulses. In The Cat in the Hat, the children are seduced into destroying their entire house, which they know full well will result in mother's unbridled scorn. Franklin the Turtle is always doing stupid shit and then whining about it when he gets caught. I don'
Brendon Schrodinger
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We're all going on a bear hunt,
Why are we hunting a bear?

For fur?
To eat?
To play marbles with?
We never find out. It keeps me awake at night.

There was no gun. They bought the whole family. Maybe the bear is their uncle?
Matt
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this repetitive story, the reader is taken along on a family’s hunt for a bear. Walking through the grass, traversing a river, and pushing through a snowstorm are only a few of the obstacles they must overcome (each with their own sounds) in order to make it to the bear’s cave. Once they reach the cave and come eye to eye with this bear.... they quickly change their minds and rush back through all the obstacles to the safety of being under the covers. Quite the tale and Neo enjoyed all the od ...more
Suzanne
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect mix of rhyme and repetition, with a good measure of suspense thrown in.
Even better is the ease with which this can be read and performed; you can walk around and have fun with it, and this is exactly what we need in my household. I used this book as part of my storytime assessment at TAFE. Throw on a hat and a pair of binoculars and we were off! It's a great book to engage with youngsters and hopefully start off with a life long learning of books. Reading is meant to be fun an
Cheryl
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I'd think of this now, if I were reading it for the first time. But my kids and I sure did love it when they were young and younger. So fun to read aloud, with all the drama. I certainly never got tired of it over several dozens of reads.
..........
Just read Bear's Day Out which, as I said there, is not nearly so wonderful... but it did help me remember details of this, and more of why I love it. This is the brilliant book that belongs in every child's personal collection. Oh th
Casey
I know this book off by heart due to the amount of times I’ve read it to the children at the pre-school I work at...I wanted to rate it🤷🏻♀😂 ...more
Vivian
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Tips on sharing this as a read-aloud with a group...

I begin my story times with this chant:
Hello everybody let’s clap our hands, clap our hands, clap our hands.
Hello everybody, let’s clap our hands, clap our hands today.
… (begin with clapping hands, slap knees, --as many actions as needed to create energy and get everyone together— end today with “fasten our seatbelts” & “start the engine” & “say, “Are we there yet?”.

• Begin by saying, “Do you know where we drove?” Open to the first d
Mehrin Ahmed
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
‘We're going on a bear hunt.
We're going to catch a big one.
What a beautiful day!
We're not scared.’

A superb read-out-loud book about a family who decide to embark on a venture to find a bear. In the process they encounter and must go through many different surroundings like long wavy grass, a deep cold river, thick oozy mud and many more.

Michael Rosen skilfully repeats some phrases and the use of onomatopoeia as the family experience each surrounding (‘splash splosh’, ‘squelch squerch’). This no
Dale Harcombe
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I remembered this book from when my daughter was young. In fact my son quoted it back to me recently, so obviously it struck a chord in his memory too. This book is currently celebrating its 25th anniversary. For a book to be around for 25 years it has to have a lot going for it. For this reader the attraction is the catchy rhyme and the repetition of we’re not scared as well as repetition of the other repeated phrases about not being able to go over it or under it but have to go through it.

So
Matt Linzey
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A simplistic story that follows a family on a journey detailing what they see and come across. The story is written in a repetitive pattern which encourages children to join in whilst being read to as they quickly pick up the pattern. Putting actions to the words made the story very interactive whilst also acting as a behaviour management strategy keeping the children focused and listening.

I read this book to my Reception class the day before we went on a school trip to the 'Build a Bear Factory
Zaynab Modaykhan
I remember reading this book many times to children in Nursery during my Teaching Assistant days. I loved reading this book! Its about a family who go out in search of a bear and during their travels they encounter different dilemmas. They go through a storm, make their way through long grass, swim through a river and many other adventures. I like this book because it contains a lot of action words and the children would say the words out loud too and make the actions. So for example the part in ...more
Bianca
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is another classic book that many adults would remember from childhood. Its melody element and use of repetition is catchy and engaging. The use of decriptive words and prepositions are useful in literacy lesson in developing sentences. The use of exclamations are useful in getting children to understand intonation and pitch and how to use these in speech as part of the Speaking and Listening key areas of Early years. This book could also be useul in Geography, as you follow the family's Be ...more
Danielle Elston
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have always adored this book, particularly as a child. This story provides an opportunity for children to get fully involved with the events in the book. Uses lots of repetition and can almost be read through a song.

The illustrations are simplistic and colourful and tell the story. This book can also develop children's problem-solving skills: we can't go over it, we can't go under it. What shall we do?

Lots of descriptive words used as well as onomatopoeia.

This story also works really well fo
Nicoleta
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: citite-2018
Trasc! o noua interjectie.
Ursul pesterilor, specie disparuta. Pestera Ursilor.
Tara O'
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We’re going on a bear hunt written by Michael Rosen is one of my most cherished childhood books. How could I forget it…

We’re going on a bear hunt.
We’re going to catch a big one.
What a beautiful day.
We’re not scared!

It is a fabulous light hearted story about a family who set out on a bear hunt.
During their adventure the family encounter many different terrains along the way: long wavy grass, a deep cold river, thick oozy mud and many more. The family must go through each terrain and this is where
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I remember this as a campfire skit. Captured oral traditions always disappoint me, as they never exactly match the story and wording you learnt - and so it is with We're Going on a Bear Hunt. Also the written word doesn't indicate the sing-song rhythm of the original, and doesn't provide an indication of all the relevant movements. These elements were always critical to the success of the skit, and may be lost in this book form.

Political correctness has modified the story over the years. I suspe
Sharlene
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
'We're Going On a Bear Hunt'by Michael Rosen, practically sums up my reading experience in primary school. This 'join all in' picture book, was read during a whole school assembly. i remember the excitement myself and the other children would feel when asked, " what are they going on?" And we would all shout out, really loudly "A BEAR HUNT!!!".

This happy go lucky picture book, allows the children to run free with their imagination. the use of onomatopoeia words, help the children use their sense
Rianna (RiannaBlok)
47/45 books read in 2017

NL: Een van mijn vriendinnen is nu een mama, dus kocht ik het kleintje een boek :)
Dit was een van mijn favorieten toen ik klein was (en ook een favoriet van mijn zusje), dus perfect geschikt als een cadeautje. Het liefst geef ik een kinderboek dat ik al gelezen (of herlezen) heb & dit verhaal geeft me nog steeds een warm gevoel. Het is zeker grappiger om het te lezen als een volwassene, maar de spanning is nog steeds aanwezig en het rijmschema geeft het een geweldig
Zoe Wood
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Helps children to learn rhythm and rhyme for phonological processing
Joy (joyous reads)
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun and a slightly scary book about a family hunting bears. Moral of the story: Don't hunt bears. Lol.

I love the format. Each picture has a slide out feature that lets your child change the images! Very cool.
Bronwyn Marrison
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book as a child and is always exciting to read! I even read this book to children now!
Jessica Jeffs
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A classic book, that never goes out of fashion! A must read with your class.
Everyone will remember the words! - 'I'm not scared!'
Darlene
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this to my kids. Loved it. I need to find it at the library and relive good times!
Aliya Farooq
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We're going on a Bear Hunt has been a huge part of my career at a special needs school for the last two years, and today, at university, I rediscovered my love for this book and found myself chanting to the book during a lesson, knowing all the words.

A family of four travel far and wide in the hopes of finding and catching a glimpse of a bear.. a simple task they think! Along the way however, they encounter many adventures and many obstacles.. do they overcome this and do they finally get to see
Darren Shoneye
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hesitated to write a review on this book, because it has been overtly read in the Early Years Foundation Stage, so I didn’t want to write a review on something that people had read many times before, and reviewed many times before.

For the number of people that have read this book, and I believe it is many, I steered away from writing a review, just for the sake of writing a review, (because that isn’t the point of this exercise, and that would be rather idle, and not very thought provoking!).
Kim Cerri
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to meet the great children's author Michael Rosen when my own children were young. They loved his books and they opened up a world of adventure for them.

We're going on a bear hunt, is one of many books written by Michael Rosen. The illustrations by Helen Oxenbury are a mixture of black and white as well as colour images. These encourage children to use their own imagination to fill in the details of the settings.

It tells the audience of an exciting adventure taken by a family
Chloe Avery
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those children's stories that is always a favourite and is read constantly. The book is very cleverly written and onomatopoeia and alliteration are used throughout the book. The repetition in the book makes it very interactive and children can be encouraged to participate with sounds and actions. The story starts with a family who decide to go on an outing in search of a big bear. Throughout the book the family travel through various settings oozy mud, a deep cold river and a dark ...more
Ugo Norcaro
We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury

This recognised children’s classic was lent to me by an experienced Primary School teacher friend and then used as part of a Geography lecture on the Primary PGCE course I am studying at present, so I felt duty bound to review it.
The illustrations are beautiful, with the characters almost jumping off the page, as well as clearly exhibiting a range of expressions and feelings. The text is ideal for reading out to the class and for engagin
Aisha
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Michael Rosen’s ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt’ tells the story of a family who decide to go on a bear hunt but face many different obstacles along the way, including long wavy grass, thick oozy mud and a swirling whirling snowstorm. The book is very descriptive and as readers, we feel as if we go through the journey together with the characters.

Having used this book on both of my placements, I find it is very popular amongst children and it provides teachers with a great resource for further clas
Anita
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this book and will enjoy reading it to children in Early Years Foundation Stage and early Key Stage 1. It is very interactive with lots of audience participation through making sounds and actions. This makes it very memorable- I could still remember many of the words! The only issue that may arise when reading this book to children is that the problem of the scary bear is not resolved as the children decide to run away. This may be frightening for some children.

‘We’re Going on
We're going on a bear hunt 1 6 Aug 31, 2018 03:35AM
1001 Children's B...: July 2014: We're Going on a Bear Hunt 17 36 Nov 04, 2015 05:50PM
  • Mr. Gumpy's Outing
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • The Gruffalo
  • Elmer
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Owl Babies
  • I Know a Rhino
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Rosie's Walk
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato
  • Rumble in the Jungle
  • The Wheels on the Bus
Michael Rosen, a recent British Children’s Laureate, has written many acclaimed books for children, including WE'RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, and I’M NUMBER ONE and THIS IS OUR HOUSE, both illustrated by Bob Graham. Michael Rosen lives in London.