Start by marking “Homecoming: Star Trek Voyager (Star Trek: Voyager)” as Want to Read:
Homecoming: Star Trek Voyager (Star Trek: Voyager)

Homecoming: Star Trek Voyager

(Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #1)

After seven long years in the Delta Quadrant, the crew of the Starship Voyager now confront the strangest world of all: home. For Admiral Kathryn Janeway and her officers, Voyager's miraculous return to planet Earth brings new honours and new responsibilities. For some there are reunions with long-lost loved ones, while for others such as the Doctor and Seven of Nine, ther ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

Start your review of Homecoming: Star Trek Voyager (Star Trek: Voyager)
Jimyanni
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is not a bad story, aside from two large flaws.

The first large flaw is, of course, that it's just the BEGINNING of a story; as anyone who has read a number of my reviews probably knows, I almost always dock a book one star for failing to tell a complete story within its pages. If you like "contuinued next time, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel" stories, feel free to consider this a four-star review, although I'll admit to being even MORE annoyed with the fact that this book failed to be a co
Sharon
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek. Sc-Fi fans
I am reviewing this together with The Father Shore. The two books contain a single story.

Many television viewers were dissatisfied with Voyager's final episode 'Endgame'. It was too abrupt. We should have seen families reunited, celebrations and cheesy hoopla. We got none of that.

Fortunately Christie Gold gave fans a more satisfying ending to the journey. We see them come home, meet their families and friends and observe as they struggle to adjust to normal life. They learn about the Dominion
Taaya
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Erica
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I really, really like this book. Christie Golden does an amazing job with taking Voyager past the last episode and continuing the story beyond that.

To begin with Golden starts the book off in what I would say was a very emotional and strong way. She captures the moment of Voyager coming home after all these years so beautifully. I felt that all of the major characters got their place and time in how they felt and how they were affected by finally reaching what had been Voyagers destinat
Felicia Latoya Brown
Tpiac
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Captain Janeyway and her crew but man alive! Welcome to the world of inconsistencies that is Trek. Still, it had it's moments.
David
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is the big deal! This two-parter continues the story where the TV show leaves off! Gawds but I loves me my Voyager!! Forgotten how much I loved that show. It's totally restored my equilibrium that's been out of wack since Trump became President. I have faith in humanity's future again. I watched every episode when they first aired but I've never rewatched Voyager. Until now. I almost think it's my favorite Star Trek show. It's neck and neck with Picard's Next Generation. Anyways. This is a ...more
Chris Munro
I don't know that now was the right time to be reading about a Borg virus. I had read the previous book and enjoyed this one as much. Not earth shattering and they rarely deviate from established character traits, but Star Trek books are a pleasant enough diversion.
Spencer Bounds
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Donna
I love the fact that they continued the story because the series ended without a real conclusion. The book was great, I'm reading the second book now. But this one set that the stage for the crew to come together once more to save some of their own along with the human race. The mystery is, where is the threat really coming from, and the second book reveals that!! Love my Star Trek!
Heylin
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The first half of this book is engrossing in so far as it fills in the gap from canon and satiates my desire to see the Voyager crew reunite with their friends and family. The last half is sustained by a rushed mediocre plot: everything happens too fast too conveniently, and the EMH revolution and its awkward parallel with slave rebellion are laughably contrived.

I rate this book a 2.5/5 for the heartwarming reunion but otherwise am not impressed with this lazy, hackneyed writing.
Liz
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeri Taylor
A proper review will be up if, and when, I re-read this turkey.

For now, here is what my twelve-year-old self hated about this book:

* Lazily undoing everything that happened in the Series finale, so nothing comes of the future technology Voyager gained, or Seven and Chakotay's relationship, as well as lazily doing away with any Maquis related tensions (how appropriate for this series...) Basically, the WORST case of the "Voyager Reset Button" in history.

* ....and all to make way for another reh
Rose
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, sci-fi
Oh, this really should probably be three stars. It's somewhat choppy, in its way. There's three major plot lines going on at once: B'Elanna Torres's search for her mother, a hologram-uprising for which the Doctor is blamed, and a mysterious plague affecting random Earth inhabitants. The latter two plot points, which do form the basis of the novel, don't even really get going until about halfway through. It is, in some ways, a bit messy.

But maybe that's realistic. Golden had the thankless task of
Erik
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you were disappointed by how Star Trek Voyager ended and not being able to see the characters get home and resolve a lot of the loose threads, this book will scratch that itch perfectly. Christie Golden really likes and understands the characters from Voyager and handles the post-show wrapping up of Voyager's loose ends very strongly. Even awkward elements like the eleventh hour Chakotay-Seven romance are wrapped up surprisingly effectively. The plot itself involves a potential Borg virus on ...more
Darwin Eng
I am a Star Trek buff. I live and breath it. I was pleasently surprised to have stumbled upon this book, as it continues the saga of Star Trek Voyager.
This book was just plain good and fast paced. There were no really "big themes" besides the idea of corruption. Before I go into an intense rant on the story line and the universe of Star Trek, the story has multiple plots interweaving with each other. One of them includes a secret organizatition hidden beneath a well respected organization, and
Berry
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fate's Lady
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
When I ran across a Voyager book at my local library and realized that the series continued in novel form, I was delighted. Homecoming is a decent novel with a few really interesting plots and at least one very tired one. I've got some guesses as to what happens in the conclusion (this is a two-part story) and who the villain is. I'm very excited to find out, so it definitely has me hooked!
Adam
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
The first 50 pages was solid. Like - SOLID! Just what I wanted that the last ep didn't give. And then it went downhill fast. The writing slacked and the plot got stupid.

One of the worst ST books I've ever read. It gets 2 stars only due to the first 50 pages.
Jamie
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb!! I loved how the Borg were such a threat to the people of Earth! Good to see some post -Endgame books!! I wished that there was more action in the Paris/Torres arena as I am an avid P/T'er but other then that the book was quite entertaining.
Dana
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Voyager ended rather abruptly without a really satisfying ending, so I was super excited when I saw this book (and its three sequels, which you should also read). This book did not disappoint, it was a very satisfying ending to the show.
Chad
Dec 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Not really sure where all the love for this book is coming from, maybe nostalgia. I've read a lot of really bad Star Trek, and this is pretty bad. It's a painful read, and I'd recommend it only for the completionists out there that have to read the whole series.
Michael
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the closure you never got from Voyager's finale, wrapped up in an intense conspiracy story - I've heard a lot of negative things about Christie Golden's brief run on the Voyager relaunch, but regardless of where it ends up, it got off to a hell of a start.
Isela
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After re-watching the television series, I was happy to have found this book and all of the subsequent novels. They are well written and give insight to all of the things that happened after Voyager's return home and the struggles they had adjusting back to 'normal' life.
Kimberly
Jan 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I found the writing and storyline extremely stale. The only part of this entire series that I liked was B'Elanna's storyline - it's the only part that remained at least somewhat true to character.
Arco
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: voyager, 2018, star-trek
Being a longtime Star Trek fan and avid reader, I only recently started reading Star Trek novels. Twelve books later, I don't know why I didn't start sooner. It is great to read about characters you got to know so well in the series. This is my first foray into the Voyager relaunch novels. I can only concur with the other reviews that Voyager ended too abruptly and could have used a number of episodes set at earth to conclude the story. Fortunately we have the novels to fill the void.

Christies w
Matthew
The completely lacklustre ending of the Voyager TV show left a lot of questions about what happens next. If you want a semi-official answer then then this series of "relaunch" novels are for you. 'Homecoming' picks up right from where the show ended and lets us see the emotional effects of the crew arriving back home after seven years away. (It also quickly ends the ridiculous and abrupt romantic coupling of Seven and Chakotay, thankfully.)

I was surprised at how fulfilling this was. I never real
Sewingdervish
Justin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Voyager as it should be written.

I was impressed with this book. I felt like I’d been transported back to the early 2000s and just finished the Voyager season finale, except it wasn’t the finale at all. This book keeps the series alive and in perfect health.

It was good to read about the characters we know and love out of their normal element and back on earth, as a part of Starfleet. After seven years it’s hard to imagine there’s more to learn about this team, but this book proves t
Sarah Crawford
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Voyager and its crew, finally home after years in a hostile quadrant. Feted by all, praised by all. The Doctor's discoveries sung from the rafters. Starfleet overjoyed at all the information they have. Even Seven of Nine welcomed.

Not.

Instead, there is almost no celebration of their return. They meet open hostility. Before long several of the crew are actually in prison, not even charged with a specific crime. Kim's would-be girlfriend? Basically a spy for a bureaucrat.

The Doctor praised? Not qu
Jadetyger Sevea
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-voyager
I really enjoyed this. I know it's retconned later, which is a shame, but what can you do? Still, it was great to see how the Voyager crew deals with their return home, and all the struggles that brings emotionally.

The plot is solid and engaging. I thought the setup was really well done. The book did seem a bit scattered at times, though. Not only are we dealing with the Voyager crew, we are dealing with all of their family/friend connections back home. I'll just say that I'm unsure where some
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • A Pocket Full of Lies
  • Atonement (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Architects of Infinity
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Fusion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #2)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn

Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming (2 books)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)

News & Interviews

“Janeway had thought her heart full, but now it overflowed. For the rest of her life, she knew, she would remember this: walking down the seemingly endless line, sharing laughter, hugs, handshakes, slaps on the back. She tried to brand every face into her brain, every word, every expression. Whatever her own new voyage held for her, it would be hard-pressed to measure up to the exquisite, painful joy of this single precious moment. *” 1 likes
“Voyager was my collective. I knew I was safe there. I trusted all of you; I knew all of you. I could. . . I could try to learn to love. But all that’s changed. We’ve returned to Earth. I’m a—an oddity.” “Seven, that’s not true,” 0 likes