Start by marking “Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)” as Want to Read:
Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)

Basil in the Wild West

(Basil of Baker Street #5)

Headed for the Grand Canyon to investigate a mystery at a hotel, Basil finds himself involved in dangerous adventures as he tries to foil the schemes of a ruthless smuggler.
Published January 1st 1982 by McGraw-Hill Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Basil in the Wild West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basil in the Wild West

Start your review of Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)
Yukiraking
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of cheesy word play in this one that I just loved. I enjoyed the new characters, the bad guys were a touch one-note, but the mystery was interesting (almost reminding me of an Agatha Christie feel to the mystery and the sheer number of potential suspects). There were so many hints at another book that I started to second guess myself, and maybe "The Lost Colony" actually is a sequel to this? I'm so confused. Maybe the future plots that were hinted at were never published? I'll ...more
Chris
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a really fast-paced, very enjoyable and really well-written children’s mystery adventure novel. It had really excellent illustrations, really great characters, really exciting adventure, really well done mystery, really nice humor and a very interesting story. I’m also really looking forward to read Basil’s final adventure, “Basil and the Lost Colony.” I would recommend this book to both children and adults.
Mayda
Basil, the great mouse detective, heads west to capture the nortorious J. J. But like his hero Sherlock Holmes and his quest to defeat the nortorious Moriarty, sometimes the fight must continue on another day. The delightful series is marvelously narrated by Ralph Lister whose various voices add much to the telling of the mystery.
Rebecca Dupont
This Basil books actually seemed more like two books, a mexico criminal hideout and a hotel mystery joined together by a horse trip. It made the book feel a bit disjointed. I think if it had just been the hotel case, which I found more interesting and amusing, it would have been a better book.
Sarah Westgate
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Mystery
This book would be great for grade level 2nd and up. One unique feature of this text is the pictures included in the chapters. The pictures really add detail to the story! There is also a table of contents and Cast of Characters page.
Selah Pike
This entry in the series is either extremely disjointed, or bad at holding my attention. Basil solves the mystery by being a snob 2.75 stars ...more
Hillary
I loved this book and series.
treva
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sid
This is Sid's 4-star rating, for the record. :)
Luisa Knight
I adore Eve Titus's characters, and when you combine her stories with Paul Galdone's illustrations - you get excellent entertainment!

Sherlock Holmes has a protege - a mouse, Basil of Baker Street. Like his human counterpart, he solves all kinds of daring mysteries that your family will enjoy. Clean, fun and makes a great read-aloud!

Reading Level: 1st - 4th grades

Cleanliness

Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 2 Incidents: By Jove!, Poppycock
Religious Profanities - 1
Kathleen
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Basil of Baker Street and The Great Mouse Detective are my CHILDHOOD, okay, so I adore them. Notably, reading them again as an adult, the Suck Fairy is almost entirely absent. They're still smart, they're still full of love, and I still love them.

This one in particular is a lot of fun. Villains teaming up! Basil putting the smack down upon people! Shakespeare games! Basil being really offended that one villain dared to (view spoiler)! I just. It is
C.G.
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute children's book by Eve Titus. The only downside is that the ending was left open for a follow up story, but this is the last book in the series, so that's a little frustrating (for readers who like tidy endings). However, a great, easy-to-read, short chapter book for new readers, and yet another great introduction to the fantastic Sherlock Holmes of the mouse world.
S. J.
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Really big fans of Basil of Baker St.
Recommended to S. by: Library
See my review of another Basil book for my thoughts on these "lets travel the world" stories.
My Review
Corey
Nov 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (Captain Underpants, #10)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (Captain Underpants, #7)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)
  • Ben Franklin's in My Bathroom! (History Pals, #1)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 32: Two of a Cunning Kind (The Prince of Tennis, #32)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 36: A Heated Battle! Seishun vs. Shitenhoji (The Prince of Tennis, #36)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 33: Kunimitsu in Kyushu (The Prince of Tennis, #33)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 34: Synchro (The Prince of Tennis, #34)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 35: Farewell, Hyotei Academy (The Prince of Tennis, #35)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 31: A Surprise Strategy: Eiji Plays Singles (The Prince of Tennis, #31)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 37: The Terror of Comic Tennis (The Prince of Tennis, #37)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 39: Flare-up! Barbecue Battle!! (The Prince of Tennis, #39)
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 38: Clash! One-Shot Battle (The Prince of Tennis, #38)
  • Paintball Punk
  • The 39-Storey Treehouse
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.

Basil of Baker Street (10 books)
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)
  • Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off (The Great Mouse Detective Book 6)
  • Basil and the Royal Dare
  • Basil and the Library Ghost
  • The Great Mouse Detective Crumbs and Clues Collection: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony
  • The Great Mouse Detective Mastermind Collection Books 1-8: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony; Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off; Basil and the Royal Dare; Basil and the...