Start by marking “The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)

The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm

(World of Warcraft #8)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  4,026 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
His eyes were open now, watching the path of the tiny flame. If you continue your path, little spark, you will cause great harm.I must burn! I must live!There are places where your glow and heat are welcome. Find them, do not destroy the dwellings or take the lives of my people!For a second, he seemed to wink out of existence but then blazed back with renewed vigor.Thrall ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Shattering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattering

Markus
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, warcraft, fantasy
The Shattering does a great job of leading the reader into the Cataclysm, and it’s definitely one of the best Warcraft books so far. Mostly because it actually made me feel something.

First of all, I have a new addition to my ever longer list of favourite characters. He’s a bull. And for the first time, I actually want to start playing as a bull because of the awesomeness of this particular bull. All hail Cairne Bloodhoof, ladies and gentlemen.

Second, I want to go back in time to pre-invasion Dra
Ernie Jr.
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was fortunate in a way in reading this novel by Christie Golden. My wife became pregnant with twins in March of 2009 and I shut down my WoW account just before making it to Icecrown in the game. This means I have not played Cataclysm yet. As a high school teacher and a parent of twins, I really don't even see much of the gaming world these days except for the occasional Hearts or Minesweeper game during my off period.

The Shattering took me back into that world, advancing an already terrific st
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft #8), Christie Golden
Chris
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Any review of The Shattering, like a review for any franchise novel, has to be written with a big caveat: Do you have any interest in the franchise?

I am a Warcraft guy. I play regularly. I've read several of the books. I am fairly, though not 'religiously' well versed in the lore.

As Warcraft books go, The Shattering is excellent. Well written, nicely paced, and there are some compelling details and insights for those of the lore nerd persuasion.

If you have followed the widely available pre-Catac
Adrian Faulkner
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
As a rule, I don’t have a problem with Tie-In Fiction. I’m very much in the “you like what you like” camp and don’t think you should ever be ashamed of your reads.
The argument against tie-in fiction is often that it is of a lesser quality, that because it is work for hire, authors don’t give it the same attention they would their own creation. I don’t think that’s necessarily true any more.
However, I have encountered more than a couple of tie-ins which fail to capture the spirit of the property
Brian
I really don't understand how this has so many positive reviews. I mean, there's not too much that is good in this book. I'd say maybe people who read Blizzard books have very low standards, but I ready "Heaven's Devils" and that was pretty good. This isn't. Some of the parts with Thrall are interesting, and that's about it. The biggest problem with this book in my opinion is Anduin. The book spends WAY too much time on him and he is the least interesting character in the story! It's been severa ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
With the World of Warcraft expansion looming on the horizon, I thought it prudent to give this one a read before the cataclysm descends upon us all. As it turns out, my timing couldn’t have been better. Elemental invasions and other pre-Cataclysm events are unfolding on the live servers even as we speak. Since the novel deals with important WoW characters and their struggle to understand the increasingly unruly behavior of Azeroth’s elements, I felt it complemented my in-game experience nicely.

T
John Carter McKnight
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A gripping, superlatively well-told fantasy - set in the Warcraft universe. This could easily stand alone as an excellent story, but WoW players and lore geeks will adore it. The political upheavals of Cataclysm are set in an entirely sensible context, with every character rendered as complex and fully-nuanced, even fan fave-hates Garrosh and Varian.

Impressively for a fantasy novel, teenage prince Anduin Wrynn is presented as a genuine, complex young man, not a Hero of Destiny or a Cute Precoci
Lorena
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, game-books
This is the best book that I have read in September, no doubts (for now lol). I really enjoyed the way Mrs. Goldie writes, how poetic it is - mostly in Thrall parts - , sometimes, I'd say.

Once again I'm admitting that I'm a fool, fool for not reading this before, when I started play World of Warcraft. I'm so regretful that I didn't enjoy to know the story while I played the game :( But, I think It isn't late, so here I am.

I'm absolutely in love with Thrall and Aggra love, the way he leads the H
Abhinav
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
You can read the full review over at my blog:

As far back as I can remember, the first video game that I owned, good and proper, was the Game of The Year edition of WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness. An elder cousin, on holiday from college in US, got me the game and I was hooked on it immediately. It was my first real taste of a fantasy game like this. I finished both campaigns, Human and Orc, in short order (a few weeks or something), and spent several weeks
Anurag Sahay
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third Warcraft book I've read, and all three happen to be by Golden herself. This one was *much* more enjoyable than Arthas, which just rehashed a story that was done better in the video game itself.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the book. One of the bigger surprises was how well the book was able to make me empathise with Anduin. The large number of viewpoints and the flat characterisation of some people (hint, hint: Varian) does make the book not as enjoyable, but this book achieves it's
Josh
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was not prepared for how much I enjoyed this, especially considering it was a gift and not something I would immediately pick up myself.

I was immediately drawn into the story because I was instantly familiar with all the characters and settings; Jaine Proudmoore in Theramore, Thrall in Orgrimmar, Anduin and Varian Wrynn in Stormwind ... these are all places and people that I have interacted with while playing World of Warcraft. Having forged my own journey in this incredibly complex world thro
Navi
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, for-the-fans
Protip: You are not going to understand half of what this book is talking about if you don't play World of Warcraft. Cause, well, most of the stuff that is referenced in here is in the game. And it doesn't really explain itself because they expect that you play the game or at least have a decent amount of knowledge about it.

Seriously, though, if you're willing to look past that or you play World of Warcraft, The Shattering is actually really, really good. I do wish that they had taken some time
Tyler James
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Laini
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So World of Warcraft: The Shattering tells the story of the lead up to "The Shattering", where Azeroth is attacked by Deathwing. I was expecting it to be about the events of the Shattering, ie the world falling apart, however it turned out to be more about the polotics of Azeroth than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't disappointed by this at all, I relished finding out more about Thrall and even about the Alliance side in Ironforge. As a Horde player myself, I have to admit, I don't kn ...more
Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If you're a World of Warcraft player you'll know what this book is about before you start, although perhaps not predict which of the actual events leading up to the Cataclysm are in it.

One of the things that most annoyed me with the way the Shattering was handled in the World of Warcraft game is that, overnight (with a content patch), the story jumped forwards an undisclosed amount of time. The events described in The Shattering happened, only explained by a few quest lines here and there. Sudde
Theresa
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Its so hard to read Warcraft books. I wish I didn't get so enormously attached to the characters. I mourn so deeply when any of them die that I don't want to continue reading the story.

This book encompasses three huge arcs that that tie together.

1. Thrall going back to his homeland because of Azeroth's elements being in turmoil.
2. Magatha trying to take over the Tauren.
3. Moira coming back to take over the Dwarves. And subsequently her holding Anduin prisoner.

I absolutely hated reading about C
Luxorien
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than Lord of the Clans, which I also enjoyed. I read Christie Golden before she was cool (Vampire of the Mists BAM) and I knew when she turned her hand to a media tie-in it would be a real novel. I've read some of the other authors who have done work for Warcraft. They aren't novelists. Christie Golden is. It's a shame she's such a traitorous HORDE LOVER, but what can you do?

I already liked Anduin and she made me like him more. I've always hated Garrosh and I still do, but he's a bit more
Jeremy
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Warcraft Universe
I found "The Shattering" to be pretty entertaining, but I definitely felt as if the book was not a standalone offering. Unless you are a fan, and more importantly pretty knowledgeable of the Warcraft universe, this book would be both muddled and confusing to you. Some issues kept it from garnering a higher rating in my appraisal... the primary issue was the feeling of moving from scene to scene in a disconnected fashion, a push and pull that detracted from the smoothness of the piece. But the vi ...more
Stephen Roode
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a huge warcraft nerd and I adore the lore HOWEVER the tie in books are frankly terrible however Golden really has a passion for the property she writes in her Fae of the jedi series is fantastic. I do not believe in giving tie ins 5 stars because they are not original they have a backdrop already However while nowhere near as beautifully written as Arthas it is probably the best since Rise of the Horde.

Pros; well described, vivid and a real sense for the world

Negative; pages 100-200 are a
Angie
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
So I play World of Warcraft, and recently I've begun reading the novels because I'm interested in the background and lore of Azeroth. I have to say that this installment is quite a bit better than the previous one, Stormrage. As a hardcore WoW fan, I enjoyed learning more about King Magni and the dwarves, Jaina Proudmoore's role as diplomat, how Hellscream came to lead the Horde, and how Aggra came into the picture. That said, I'm not at all convinced this would be a compelling story for anyone ...more
Nick
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Matt Vandermeulen
If you enjoy wow lore and played the game, this was a good book to lead into cataclysm. If you have never played the games I wouldn't recommend this necessarily because it seems to be a supplement to the game and requires some background knowledge.
Conor Warren
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some parts dragged a little but overall a solidly entertaining book.
Larper
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book which describes the events that led to the Cataclysm.

I love the emotional side of the book. I've cried two times, once when Garrosh speaks with Baine and once at the end.

My only beef with the book is how Garrosh didn't decide to help Baine take down Magatha, and the fact that Thrall hurried off to the Maelstrom immediately after returning. I believe it would be in is character if he went to Orgrimmar to confront Garrosh about Cairne so that we have at least some closure between the
Brian
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Good Linking Story

This book covered the events between the Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm expansion sets for the World of Warcraft MMORPG. For fans of the series, and especially those who played the game during that era, this was a fun romp to gain more understanding of the sweeping lore changes between the two sets. There were a few parts that dragged, but I enjoyed the walk down memory lane and the added clarity.
Kramer Thompson
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Another pretty good Warcraft book. As usual, the writing is fine but not amazing. Sometimes there are awkward bits, but that's to be expected. Some bits were a bit slow, but others were interesting and exciting. My only major complaint is how the tauren storyline ends here. This isn't necessarily Christie Golden's fault - because she may not design these larger story arcs - but I found the outcome utterly absurd and frustrating. Still, a fairly engaging read overall.
José Martínez
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
La verdad que me gustó mucho cuando lo leí (En mis tiempos de jugar a wow) me encantó conocer la historia de thrall cuando ocurrió el cataclismo y todo lo que pasó entre expansión y expansión. Muy bueno.
Alex Ball
Apr 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written and does not correspond fully to the story being told in the game. This one is for the purists only and frankly, even then I struggle to recommend it as the game has moved on a lot since this book was written.
Kirill Stankevich
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best book
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Tides of Darkness
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde
  • Tides of Darkness
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“Destruction is easy. But creating something that lasts is a challenge.” 8 likes
“It is arrogance to believe you can know all things. Perhaps you are right. But perhaps you are not.” 5 likes