Start by marking “Jillian Jiggs” as Want to Read:
Jillian Jiggs

Jillian Jiggs

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  1,293 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Jillian Jiggs-- who spends most of her time making up games and playing dress-up-- is much too busy to clean her room!
Published July 1st 1988 by Scholastic Trade (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Jillian Jiggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jillian Jiggs

Monique
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read as part of the Young Adult Quarterly Challenge #21 (March 1-May 31, 2016) - children's book

5 million, trillion, bazillion stars - legitimately how I rated awesome things as a kid.

This is technically a re-read for me as it was my favourite childhood book - my nana gave me this for my 4th birthday and she wrote a lovely inscription inside.

Before I even picked this up to read again, I could hear the sing song rhyme of "Jillian, Jillian, Jillian Jiggs, it looks like your room has been lived in
Ashley
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbgs-1-choice
Favorite Book! This is the book that my dad used to read to me when I was a little girl over and over again.
The pictures are life like from the people to the household items seen through out the pages. There is great color and each picture is framed, creating the illusion that a person is looking at a photo album.
The rhyming of the last word of every line with the previous line adds a rhythm to the book.
Also, I love the fact that this book takes four lines and repeats it enough that they stic
Elfdart
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this is a great story, both to read out loud and to read alone. it’s about a girl whose mother wants her to clean her room, but her friends come over and they end up playing instead. her mother tells her a few times to go clean her room and she seemingly goes to do it, but she takes her friends with her, as well as her baby sister, and they get distracted by their imaginations, so we get to see them pretending to be a bunch of different things. at the end though her mother puts her foot down and ...more
Nola
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
I loved this book so much I actually don't know how it ends because in my very early youth I ripped the last few pages out. Now my niece and nephew love it too (and they don't know the ending either - it's the same copy!) The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the rhyming is very catchy. This is a kids bookshelf staple and I can't for the life of me understand why it hasn't retained its popularity.
Debra Doxer
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter's name is Jillian. She loves when I read this to her. Luckily, I like reading this, too. Great book.
Susan
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
Overall 2.5 stars but I rounded up because I did like the protagonist, Jillian Jiggs.

On the positive side, I enjoyed that the story starred a very imaginative, spirited little girl. There were some good rhymes and illustrations along the way.

On the other side, the mother seemed to have some issues - really, crying and fainting because her child's room is untidy? Also rather than trying to stifle her child, it would likely be better all around if the mother had supported her daughter's imaginati
Emily
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Jillian Jiggs is the queen of make-belief! Jillian’s mother tasks her with cleaning up her very messy bedroom, but there is just always something more exciting to do. Jillian leads her friends from one crafty project to another, creating elaborate make belief worlds for them to play in.

This was one of my favourite books when I was a kid. I could really relate to Jillian’s wild imagination, as well as her lack of passion for tidying. I sometimes find that rhyming stories can feel a little forced
Jessica
Identifying the appropriate genre: Picture Book

Review/Summary: Jillian Jiggs is a great book that follows an imaginative and spunky little girl. It draws readers in with sentences like "Jillian, Jillian, Jillian Jiggs! It looks like your room has been lived in by pigs!" Jillian’s mother tries so hard to get her to clean her room but her imagination keeps getting in her way.

Writing Trait: Jillian Jiggs includes a couple of writing traits:

Word Choice: The words and phrases used in this story crea
Jillian
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
My mom used to read this book to me all the time as a child! Who doesn't love seeing their name in a book?!

Jillian Jiggs is asked to clean up her messy room. She starts to do it, but then she finds a toy, which leads to distraction. Then her friends come over to "help" her clean, and new adventures ensue.

So many kids can relate to this book, I can still relate to it as an adult. The vocabulary isn't difficult, and it even has some made up silly words. It's also a very predictable book being that
Reyanna
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I STILL know this book by heart, and I probably received it over 20 years ago. A favorite book of children who know how fun it is to play and *not* so much fun to clean up after playing. Phoebe Gillman does a fabulous job with the rhymes, "Jillian's mother came in with her mop, took one look around, and... fainted KERPLOP!" (How cute is that?!) And it's another one of those books that has fabulous illustrations, a captivating story, and super-fun rhymes. I love reading this over and over and ove ...more
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
Great story! I could sit and read Jillian Jiggs all day! Jillian being too busy engaged in her imaginary play to clean her room tickles my funny bone and makes me giggle. I'm not much of a tidy upper myself; I'm too busy reading! And this is the great thing about Jillian Jiggs, the rhymes draw you in, but the stories are ones adults and kids alike can relate to. I will always read Jillian Jiggs to my students! They never protest :)
Elevetha
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elevetha by: Mum
Jillian Jiggs (gotta love that alliteration) was a favorite of mine when I was child. Of course, now I like certain things about it that I never noticed before. Such as that Jillian's mom has the best exasperated/ticked off expressions that she wears in every single illustration of her. I also really liked Jillian's very cute younger sister who, I believe, is in every picture. She reminds me a bit of one of my little cousins.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good friends, good intentions and an unstoppable stream of creativity: this infectiously upbeat tale of disarray, distraction and blissful disobedience makes us glad we chose the adventure that is family life. We can’t imagine a childhood without it.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Tiffany
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
One of my favorite books as a child, Jillian Jiggs! Her name is awesome! Her pigs are awesome! DIY pigs at the end!

She spent the whole book making her adorable pigs, and at the end she couldn't part with them, so she taught people how to make their own.

I design crochet patterns, so it's the story of my life.
Diana
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really 4.5. Adorable, thoughtful illustrations (I love looking for Jillian's little sister tagging along), creative, hilarious rhyming with an almost musical quality, and an imaginative, potentially trouble-making heroine all combine into a gorgeous package and very entertaining read. This book (and the subsequent series, really) was a favorite when I was young, and stands the test of time.
Katharine_ann
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 5-star
This is such a cute story! Jillian’s mother wants her to clean her room, but Jillian keeps getting distracted by playing games! I really like how big of an imagination Jillian has, and all the different things that she creates. With fun ideas like dressing up and playing make-believe this book a big winner with me.
Shanae Lewis
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations of this book are so fun. They are so interesting and colorful, they never get boring to look at.
Even though Jillian may make messes every once in a while, I dare you not to fall in love with her spunky character and her creative imagination.
My Grandma gave me this book as a gift when I was young and I had it memorized in a week!
Munro's Kids
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read aloud not only because of its sing-song rhymes but also due to Jillian and her mother's increasingly dramatic declarations. The lively story and detailed illustrations (each page's costumes are worth examining - and you'll notice the younger sister is always a step behind everyone else) make for an engaging read.
-Angela
Christine
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was one of my favorites as a kid, sometimes I like to read again once in while. Jillian Jiggs is a funny little girl with huge imagine who can't seem to stop making a mess, which makes her mom crazy as Jillian constantly promises to clean up. But every time she does, she comes up with another idea making an even bigger mess!!!!
Caitlin
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a fun picture book
I used to love this book! I would read it over and over, studying the illustrations, and imagining the whole scene in my mind.
I wonder what happened to it? I guess we read it til it fell apart. I think I'm going to have to buy another copy.

Lisa
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVED this book when I was a kid. I read it and re-read it and made my mom read it to me 100 times a week. I don't know what the draw was, but I'm pretty sure I either thought I was Jillian Jiggs or I desperately wanted to be her.
Msor
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
my daughter loves the jillian jiggs books--the engaging illustrations, the rhyming text, the simple and funny stories. as the parent of a daughter, i appreciate that these stories feature an active, creative, kindhearted girl who is a leader amongst her peers.
Heather
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
29 month - picked this up on our trip home to Canada. I like to find Canadian authors when I can and this one seemed a good choice as O and Jillian are very similar... Creative and messy. :D. This has a good rhyme, is cute and funny.
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another favorite as a child, and maybe still now as my room is almost never clean (any other room in the house I can clean but its that darn bedroom that gets me every time!). A funny and creative book filled with childish imagination.
Marc
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-again
Read this many times to, for and with my youngest daughter, Jillian (nicknamed Jiggsy). Love it!
Julie Isen
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, I just adored her. Maybe worshiped is a better word for it...
Angela
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adore Jillian Jiggs, the stories are creative and the illustrations have so much going on, it's a good conversation book for the younger ones.
Katie
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite picture book of all time. It brings back childhood memories of being read to, and my girls love me to read it to them now. Hard to find, but worth the effort!
Jen Haddad
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-teen, own
You can't help but love Jillian's imagination!
Anne
Jul 19, 2008 added it
My favorite childhood book EVER
  • David's Father
  • Red Is Best
  • A Promise is a Promise
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Stella, Star of the Sea
  • A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas
What can I tell you about myself? I like to make up stories and draw pictures. I like to go ice skating, to the movies and I love reading books.

I was born and grew up in the Bronx, New York. My Mother loved to read so it was only natural that my brothers and I got our own library cards as soon as we were able to print our names. My favorite books were fairy tales. When the pictures didn't match t
More about Phoebe Gilman...