Start by marking “Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)

Meet Molly: An American Girl

(American Girls: Molly #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  8,246 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
While her father is away fighting in World War II, Molly finds her life full of change as she eats terrible vegetables from the victory garden and plans revenge on her brother for ruining her Halloween.
Published September 1st 1990 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published August 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Molly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Molly

Daniella
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls, and grown-up girls who read it when they were young
I used to love these books when I was a kid. Felicity was my particular favorite, though, with Molly ranking somewhere behind Samantha and Addy, and possibly also behind Kirsten. Sorry, Molly. But at any rate, I think I can safely point to the American Girls series as being the catalyst for my lifelong love of historical fiction, and this is book especially stands out in my mind. It's a cute story, with an Obvious Message, though not so Anvilicious as to turn off the target audience, I don't thi ...more
Renata
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
We didn't even talk about this one on the podcast and I re-read it just cuz. OH MOLLY your life is very chill compared to Addy's but I still love you.

Valerie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
So I starting this book once upon a time because I thought the girl had my name, I was maybe 7 at the time so you'll have to forgive me. Finally finished this many years later and it wasn't as boring as I thought it was. It's very nice and simple. Molly is a normal girl growing up in the middle of WWII, her father is away and there is a mentioning of food rations. She doesn't like her brother and her older sister is acting like she's a grown up now (basic sibling stuff) while she can't figure ou ...more
Logan
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Maddie
Shelves: american-girl
It was really good! I liked the part when they went trick or treating!:)
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I don't really care for Halloween or Halloween stories. And I don't quite understand Molly. She's kind of mean. Allison just wants a friend, she's a lonely only child. But Molly treats her like she acts better than everyone when she doesn't much, Molly actually acts like she's better than everyone else at times. Trying to be Cinderella and make her friend be the "ugly.... Oops I mean stepsisters"
When Ricky and Molly started this whole prank war I thought the punishment was pretty fair that the
M.C. Crocker
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was not too long ago that I came upon some very sad news, American Girl Dolls get retired. I was shocked and saddened by this when I learned that great characters such as Felicity, Kirsten and Samantha have all been retired. Yet, saddest news of all is next up to be retired is Molly McIntire! Why is this the saddest news of all? Molly is my favorite American Girl from the entire collection! In a lot of ways I felt like I was Molly because she was the girl with stick straight brown hair that s ...more
Panda Incognito
I was a big American Girl fan when I was a little kid. I never owned any of the dolls, but enjoyed every series of chapter books and give them partial credit for my love of historical fiction. Not only were they well-written, engaging, and historically educational, but the books present balanced, healthy views of a myriad of topics. One of them is gender: I love how each girl had a different personality, circumstance, and set of interests.

The American Girls consist of no "ideal female" cookie-c
Liliane
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a child, I used to read the American Girl book series and I really enjoyed doing so.I believe that 4th/5th grade students will enjoy reading these types of books. As I reread this book, I noticed how Molly's story can be used as a connection to what American families went through during WWII. In Molly's story, we learn how her father is serving the country by being a doctor somewhere in Europe. We also learn what families used to do back home to help support their troops. For example, familie ...more
Olivia
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading this series now with my daughter. Her grandmother, who was born in the late 1940s and is fascinated with all things WWII, gave her the set. It's a great way to introduce concepts of recent, global history and social science because Molly and her story are engaging and relatable to a 21st century girl. Looking forward to the other books!
Drew
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book. I'm not even gonna write a proper review. All I'm going to say is that, if not for this book, I wouldn't be a voracious reader.
This was the first novel I've read and I wanted to keep it so badly that I stole it from our school's library. Luckily, our librarian wasn't too keen on checking out missing books from the shelves...so there. I know. I know. That was bad of me.
Kelly
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was written so well. It's the first of the American Girl books that I have read and I was pretty impressed. It was meaningful and not superficial at all, as I somewhat expected (to be honest.) I look forward to reading more and hopefully sharing these with my daughter someday!
Michelle
I'm revisiting my favorite American Girl stories.
Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue)
I was volunteering at the library shelving books in the children's section and I decided to pick up the American Girl series on a whim again. I enjoyed reading the first three books in Kirsten's collection and wanted to explore the other decades. They didn't have the whole collection at once, so I just chose Meet Kit, Samantha, and the first two books for Felicity.

I read these books in elementary school and I loved them. I fully support giving girls a strong female influence and empowerment thro
Lexie Haarsma
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popular-series
This is easily my favorite book I have read so far in this class. This story is just very heartwarming and lovely. Molly McIntire is living in America during World War 2. It is autumn and Molly is very excited about Halloween. Her family must make sacrifices though because of the war. Mollys father is away at war. This is where we learn about the victory garden. Molly must eat turnips for dinner and she is upset about this. Wasting food was considered childish and "unpatriotic". This was a commo ...more
Emily
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our book club was challenged to read books from our middle grade years. I remember obsessively reading The American Girl stories, especially Molly, Samantha, Felicity, Kirstin, and Addy. I am going to revisit my favorites, Molly and Samantha. Side note, it takes no time at all to read them as an adult. I love Molly's spirit. The antics with her brother were humorous. I also remember loving the full page illustrations and wondering how they chose which scenes to depict.
Kathryn Bergeron
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was growing up my parents bought me all of the Samantha books. The ones that I really wanted were the Molly books. I'd borrow them from my friends or the library so I could read them. I remember them more than the Samantha books, even though I owned those.

Anyways, I love them. And they really hold up better than I thought.
Erin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-uns
I loved reading American Girl books when I was younger, and I still read them sometimes now since I love historical fiction. This one was my favorite because it was set during WWII, and it's a great way for kids to learn about what the homefront was like during the war, and the different sacrifices each family had to make, no matter how small.
Lauryn
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book 12 years ago and found it again tonight! Sweet little book. The "Looking Back" section has a lot of good information as an introduction to World War II. Any young kid interested in history should definitely check these out!
Kelly
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ag-books
It's a very simple story and book overall, but that's what makes it great. The events are realistic, and the history isn't forced. It's a very feel-good story.
Morgan
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a childhood favorite <3
Molly Lighthart
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's just so sweet and my childhood! It's good they add the history of the story at the end as well! I don't care how old I am I still love these ❤
Abigail
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nostalgia
Molly was always one of my favorites alongside Felicity, Kirsten, Addy, and Samantha.
Zenash Haile
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meet-molly
I think it is sad for her dad to go to the world war 2 and she will get revenge on her brother because he muss up her hallowen time yeah I did not read a lot of this book I want to read it.
Liz
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yael
Teaches about the war
Kathleen
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-girls
Nightly read with my 6 year old. Cute story set in a time just before her Grandmother was born so she finds it fascinating learning about how things have changed.

Tiffany
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audio version.
Helen
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
cool book but not my fav
Danielle
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A dull and cringy introduction. Molly begins as a very unlikeable character with little personality. Hoping the books improve.
Anna
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this series many times when I was younger. I'm now listening to them on audiobook for the first time!
Claire
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had the molly doll :) Oh we had so much fun :) I adore these books
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (An American Girl: Addy, #2)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t

American Girls: Molly (6 books)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Molly: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Molly, #4)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Changes for Molly: A Winter Story (American Girls: Molly, #6)