Start by marking “Woman in the Mirror” as Want to Read:
Woman in the Mirror

Woman in the Mirror

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Among the significant projects of the last year of his life, Richard Avedon (1923-2004) completed a book of his photographs of women. Always transcending categorization-he was both a fashion photographer and known as a "poet of portraiture"-Avedon was interested in seeing how elemental facts of modern life and human existence were reflected in his work. And what could be m ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Woman in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woman in the Mirror

Tom
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting photography retrospective. Most of this is fashion photography, but there are some portraits in a more photojournalist style akin to Dorothea Lange. It is interesting how some people are really able to capture emotion and soul in a photograph. It seems rather ineffable to me, but some people just have the skill.

The afterword by Anne Hollander was rather interesting too.

This was a roaming around the library, killing time, selection.
Jaimie
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Many of these protraits are familiar to me, since I've seen quite a bit of Avedon's wor through other books, but I really like that this diverse collection is brought together thematically. Women in general have always been a big inspiration for Avedon, so it is no surprise that throughout the periods of his work these was always a feminine focus. What is surprising (and shocking to some) is the inclusion of a few men within the book; gay men, but men none the less. Elton John's portrait, with t ...more
Joelle
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
The photographs are beautiful. I was very drawn to his portraits of everyday people - the street performer, the carnie, etc. I wish there was some background presented for each of the photos. It's definitely eye candy!
Cody
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Found an interesting link to Cape Breton when I saw the photograph of June Leaf taken in Mabou. She and her husband, photographer Robert Frank spend time there and Avedon must have visted them and photographed both. Extremely surprising!
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't typically look at art books, but I love Avedon. In book form, this was a good collection of his work, but I think I'll stick to gallery/museum showings, I prefer that atmosphere.
Brigitte
I'm mostly putting this here because I think I'll want to look at it again one day, so I need to remember. Interesting stuff in the essay by Anne Hollander.
Jereme
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Big, beautifully reproduced images. Great motion and interest in the first 2/3 of the book, but it fell a bit flat for me after that.
Crystal
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2010
It was wonderful to look at this book after going to the Richard Avedon exibit held at The Detroit Institute of Arts. What a wonderfully talented man.
Imrose Medhora
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good read
Tania
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although he's best known for being a fashion photographer, I actually prefer his portraits of ordinary women - he seemed able to pull these expressions that are just great.
  • A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits
  • Twilight: Photographs by Gregory Crewdson
  • Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs
  • Jazz Age Beauties: The Lost Collection of Ziegfeld Photographer Alfred Cheney Johnston
  • The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography
  • Street Photography Now
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson: Masters of Photography Series
  • Tim Walker Pictures
  • The Bone House
By capturing American ideals of celebrity, fashion, and beauty in the 20th and early 21st centuries, Richard Avedon helped to establish photography as a contemporary art form. Avedon’s distinct style of portrait photography is nothing short of iconic. While the portraiture of his contemporaries focused on single moments or composed formal images, his stark lighting and minimalist white backdrops d ...more
More about Richard Avedon...