Start by marking “Jess” as Want to Read:
Jess

Jess (American Girl of the Year)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  531 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
With her first step off the airplane and into bright tropical sunlight, ten-year-old Jess McConnell begins an adventure. She and her parents are spending five months at an archeological dig of ancient Maya ruins in the Central American country of Belize. It's Jess's first time out of the United States. It's her first time being home-schooled. And it's her first trip withou ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Jess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jess

Kristine Hansen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a meaty little book, full of adventure and a lot about a brand new country you don't see often in books - Belize. I loved getting to know Jess and think it's a real shame that there aren't more books to this story. I would love to follow her journey much farther.

Laura Rogers
This is a book in the American Girls series. It is very uncomplicated and easy to read. I think young readers would enjoy the story, but third grade and up will probably find it too simplistic. I was also annoyed by the portrayal of this character as a "homeschooler". I was hoping for a story to hand out to homeschooled children that they could relate too, since most American Girl stories rely heavily on plots that center around school and friends they meet there. Jess isn't really homeschooled, ...more
Tchipakkan
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls
Shelves: fiction, juvinile
It's as good as I've come to expect from the American Girl books. This one has the theme archaeology, as usual with a 10 year old spin. I like that they address the issue of tomb robbers. There was enough adventure to keep interest without getting to fantastic to be believed.
Bookchick
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
My favorite of the American Girl Today books. Young readers learn a fair amount about Belize, archaeology and the Mayans and experience Jess's wide range of emotions as she takes part in a unique and exciting adventure.
Megan
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Kaitlyn mathies
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was heart warming about friendship and adventure. Jess and Sarita bring a brilliant view of the mayas sites.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of the American Girls series of books, but is not part of any of the standard series.

Jess is 10 years old and her parents have taken her to the country of Belize. Her parents are archaeologists and they are exploring Mayan ruins.

Jess finds that she has to get used to a country that is very different, weather that is a lot hotter, and a jungle that can hide some very nasty surprises. She makes friends there, though, and even ends up helping to raise a baby parrot. She learns about the
$hanel
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Jess McConell is about to start an adventure right when she steps off the plane on to the land of Brazil. Jess`s parents are archiologists and are trying to discover the ancient Mayan ruins. This is Jess`s first time being home-schooled and being away from the United States (well never mind her parents are archiologists so she has been to many places.) The reason why I gave this book only three stars is because it was a little bit too challenging for me to read. Many of the words were different ...more
Emily
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
American Girl books are great. I don't think I ever read them growing up, but I'm enjoying them now. I love learning about the different time periods and "cultures" of the times in an easy to read format. With little kids constantly interrupting everything I do, it's nice to be able to learn some history without carefully studying.
Jamie
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I basically read this book because I am planning a trip to Belize. I grew up reading American Girl books, and when I discovered that there was one about a girl from Michigan traveling to Belize, I knew I had to read it! This is a very cute and also informative book, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a light read, child or adult.
Lola
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was never one to buy the Girl of the Year doll (except Mia because I love her), but I always read the stories. Jess's is a particular favorite of mine. I love to travel, and getting to study on an archeological dig site sounds fascinating. Good story, good characters, and still has a place on my bookshelf. Recommended!
Rachel
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Jess is a ten-year-old who goes with her archeological parents to a dig in Belize. She makes a friend takes, care of an orphaned parrot, and makes a few discoveries of her own. I quite enjoyed this book. Looks like American Girl was really getting good stories for their annual dolls.
Kelly
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ag-books, own
I loved it! It was great how it felt like you were basically exploring Belize alongside Jess. Great insights to the culture and lay of the land.
Trisha
Nov 07, 2016 added it
adventurous
Meg
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
When Jess goes to Belize,she never expected to make a new friend, discover a Maya cave, and have looters steal. She went on some adventure!
PWRL
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
hee hee hee
Taylor
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jess has her very first steps on a real airplane! She is going to the tropical
Cynthia
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because this girl seemed soo nice and i could relate to her a lot!
Logan
Nov 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Maggie
Shelves: american-girl
I am very excited to read this book!:-D
hhertzof
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Very similar in plot to Lea, but I liked Jess better.
Ella
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really overly good!!!
Nikki.f
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
suprizingly i realy liked this book!
Cairn
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
great
Victoria
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i liked it!
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jess makes amazing discoveries as she learns about archaeology and makes a friend in Belize.
lily:)
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ag
This was a good book where Jess finds out who she is inside and has a few fun and/or dangerous adventures. I liked it... It's one of the better American Girl books.
Laurenne c
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I learned to expect the unexpected
Rizz Ann
Oct 18, 2011
Arrianna
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2015
  • Kailey
  • Marisol
  • Nicki
  • Mia
  • Lindsey
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly, #7)
  • Lanie
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Thief in the Theater: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Tangled Web: A Julie Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library A
More about Mary Casanova...

American Girl of the Year (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Lindsey
  • Kailey
  • Marisol
  • Nicki
  • Thanks to Nicki
  • Mia
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Chrissa