Start by marking “Computer Organization and Design, Fifth Edition: The Hardware/Software Interface (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design)” as Want to Read:

This textbook provides a basic introduction to the fundamentals of current computer designs. As the title suggests, the text skirts the border between hardware and software. After an overview of the subject and a discussion of performance, the book launches into technical matter such as instruction sets, how they are constrained by the underlying processor hardware, the ...more
Published October 10th 2013 by Morgan Kaufmann (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Organization and Design, Fifth Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computer Organization and Design, Fifth Edition

Start your review of Computer Organization and Design, Fifth Edition: The Hardware/Software Interface (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design)
Rex
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardware
I remember when I first learn computer architecture in China. The book we used is terribly complicated. I once thought computer architecture as a subject with random things to memorized.

Fortunately, I study this book years later in the US. It goes through the fundamental philosophy of computer architecture design and it gives lots of examples, pictures, and exercises to help you understand the concept.

The book not only talks about simple examples, it also break the real machine down to show how
YouKneeK
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-textbook
This textbook was required reading for my Computer Organization and Architecture university course. Sometimes it can be difficult to give a textbook a fair review because, in a typical course, students are rarely required to read the entire book and they may be given reading assignments that are not in sequential order. This means it’s not easy to judge the progression of the material as presented in the textbook from beginning to end.

Such was the case with this textbook. In my class, we skipped
Nikoleta
Probably the best textbook I've ever read. Everything is actually explained and the examples aren't overbearing. The content itself can get a bit dry but still very useful. However, the amount of typos is ridiculous.
Stefan Kanev
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good textbook, but I would recommend picking it up unless you have a lot of time (or you are studying it in a course). I started reading it because I realized my understanding for processors was ancient and wanted to update it a bit. It does go into the new and fancy stuff, but it definitely helps you get a good overview. After you've finished it, you'll have a good idea how to (conceptually) build a basic computer. Two major caveats: the writing is a bit boring and academical (to be ...more
David
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Used this as my textbook for ECE425 - Computer Architecture and thought it explained a lot more than what the professor tried to teach. I would recommend reading this a few times before listening to the professor go over whichever topic you're covering and I'm sure it'll help you.

I recommend also watching these videos throughout the course

Passed Computer Architecture
Ayush Bhat
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is almost a standard book for computer organization but takes a lot of time per page.
This is kind of a prerequisite to read the Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach from the same authors.
Brock Pereira
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I understand why this book is the “hallmark” of hardware design textbooks, but I couldn’t help but want to bang my head off the desk during this class.

Otherwise - great book, easy to read and understand
Samuel
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs
Machine structures course.
سليمة
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential book for anyone interested in computer architecture
Fahad Ghouri
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insight into basic computer architecture and design! Very good for getting a basic understanding and making you ready to work through higher concepts.
بلال مہربان
This was my course book in Software engineering 4th semester. Every thing in the book was so detailed that most of the time i did't needed my professors help to understand the concepts.
Collen Jones
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly solid overview of system architecture with excellent sections on history and common fallacies but also a bit of a slog at times.
Victor
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science

Very good introduction and reminder for computer architecture, reviewing all topics such as instruction decoding, memory hierarchies, pipelines, I/O, computer clusters, vector computers, GPUS, energy consumption. In my opinion some previous knowledge must be got before reading this book, since it omits many implementation details. Appendix are added so that you can extend your knowledge in more advanced topics.

For those understanding Spanish, I strongly recommend this other book: Conceptos
Ibrahim Al-bluwi
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read
This was the textbook of a university course that I took during my BSc. Although I am not a big fan of hardware and assembly languages I enjoyed studying from this book to a great extent.

The book is very well written and very well organized. I found the presented information clear and I liked the way the authors emphasize what is important, elaborate with examples, and keep extra details to the end of each chapter.
Ben Haley
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book drew abstract mathematical concepts down to their underpinning hardware implementations. In doing so, it clarified the practical concerns that drive the development of new software systems. Patterson, who is brilliant in his straightforward execution does a great job of revealing that the land of information does have a bottom where it grinds up against a land of silicon and copper. For me it's a relief.

Jonas
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, english
A solid introduction at the freshman level, but just not all that inspiring. The basic chapters, especially the one on assembly languages and the appendix on logic design, are very good; the later chapters unfortunately feel a bit rushed and really only cover the barest essentials. Additionally, some pretty important content, e.g. on GPUs and Verilog, is only available online.

The exercises are numerous and quite good.
Muhamamd Daneshgar
This book is one of my most hated books. Its prolix style make your mind exhausted with loads of jejune materials. I know it's a very famous academic textbooks and scholars applaud it. Perhaps it's catered for professors rather than for engineers and true learners.
In a nutshell, the efficiency of this book is very poor. You learn very little in expense of wasting a good deal of your precious time.
Dilshan Jayakody
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
Even this book is recommended to use as a textbook I use it as quick reference. All the chapters are well organized and up to date. Most of the chapters are based on modern hardware platforms like ARM and x86.

Highly recommended as textbook for computer architecture and related courses.

up to now the only bad thing which I notice in this book is some of the content are in the supplied CD-ROM, which is bit annoying sometimes.
João
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I am currently teaching a BSc-level course using this book. It is very well structured for either "hardcore" hardware-related courses or more software-inclined (or at least not so low-level hardware) courses. I have mixed feelings towards the approach of anticipating some issues of multicore architectures (e.g. cache coherence) w.r.t. to the description of the corresponding architectures in Chapter 7.
Szymon Wylezol
A great and easy to follow book, and certainly the most comprehensive one on computer architecture. The only drawback is the material on the included cd - there is too much of it to print it, and reading it all on screen is not very comfortable. Perhaps it's time to split the book into two volumes. Otherwise a great buy. [my review from amazon]
كوثر الشريفي
I had no idea about the MIPS assembly language, nor did I know much about designing processors..etc. This book really helped me in understanding the various steps involved in designing processors and so many other concepts that any beginner needs. The examples and problems are really good, as well as the explanation.
Adam
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Another of my college texts. Although I have not found a need to reference this book since graduation, it was useful in developing an understanding the components within a computing system and how they interact, possible problems, and how to address them at design time.
Daniel Apatiga
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This computer organization and design textbook was interesting from chapter one to the very end, including the appendixes. I think I could have learned all that I learned from my computer organization teacher from this book alone, however, that was not always the case.
Parastoo
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few required text books for my courses which I actually enjoyed while reading, I learned a lot and it gave me a whole new perspective of what is a computer. I would suggest this to all undergraduate computer students.
Colin
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, solid introduction to Computer Architecture. I flicked through it this time, because I've read it before. My one niggle is that it has a tendency to use analogies which I don't think really help. Possibly this is because I'm boring an technical, though.
Tony Poerio
Standard CS/Eng textbook. Gets the job done. Word of advice: don't get the digital version, they layout is almost unreadable. Got the Kindle version, then ended up using my friend's hard copy all semester.
Maxim Perepelitsyn
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very good introduction to computer architecture. The GPU coverage is a plus. Make sure to check out all the online materials for this book.
Justin Smith
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know how Assembly and Computer works this is probably your best bet. You'll know what a stack and heap really are and where things are in memory.
Hawk
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best CompOrg/CompArch textbook I've encountered thus far.
Haytham Lashin
I'm currently reading chapter 7 , and it's really a very good introduction to the Computer Architecture course .

• Operating System Concepts
  • Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective
  • Signals and Systems
  • The C Programming Language
  • Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Digital Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »