Start by marking “Nicki” as Want to Read:
Nicki

Nicki (American Girl of the Year)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Nicki Fleming is a 10-year-old girl who is a natural with animals. She lives on a working Colorado ranch with her parents and younger brother. She is optimistic, generous, and compassionate, and she loves skiing almost as much as she loves animals.
Nicki has a hard time saying "no" to people. Whenever anyone asks for her help, she's ready to lend a hand. When Nicki says "ye
Published March 1st 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published December 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nicki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicki

E
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Am I the only one who finds these contemporary American Girl books painfully boring? Sorry, but "I lack the self-confidence to say no!" doesn't really seem all that exciting when compared to Addy's escape from slavery and saving her mom from drowning, for example.

I think the spotlight on service dogs was admirable, but was otherwise irritated and disappointed. Nicki lives on a pig farm. I noticed that how the animals are treated and how they are ultimately killed for food was largely skated past
Sam T
Mar 31, 2016 added it
I read Nicki by Ann Creel. This is about a girl who loves to be helpful. Nicki lives on a ranch with horses and pigs. She also has a brother, dad, mother, and soon they have twins in the family.

Nicki helps her mom ( mother of twins) train a service dog. Sprocket is about 8 months old. Sprocket makes a big improvement in his training throughout the book. As well, Nicki becomes friends with another girl called Kris's while there planing for the end of the year Galla.

I would reccomend this book to
Casey
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl who has to train a service dog. But when her mom goes on bed rest she has to take over. Will she do it? Read this book to find out.

This book is amazing.

I recommend this book to girls who loves dogs.
Sierra
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nicki's mom is going to have twins and is bed ridden. Her job is to train dogs to be serves dogs. Nicki's mom ask her to train her next dog. This dog is a challenge and a lot of work can Nicki do it
Olivia
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-books
It was a great book!
Holly Vanco
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-girl
People ask me what is the one book I can't get enough of. Well, let me think... Oh, that's right it's “Nicki” by Ann Howard Creel. This book is fiction, but provides a lot of factual information about service dogs and how to become a "puppy-raiser". The main character in this book is Nicki Flemming. Nicki needs to learn how to say “no”. First off, every night she gets asked to do a bunch of chores she doesn't have time to do, but you know Nicki she says, "Yes". Then her mom finds out that she ( ...more
Taylor
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Nicki Fleming has a gift with animals. When she is asked to train a dog to be a service dog she can't say "no," even if it means taking on more responsibility and having to give up some things she LOVES doing. When the puppy sprocket arrives nicki is releaved by his cuteness, but that means nothing when it comes to training. Sprocket is a HUGE handfull, and he uses all of nicki's compassion to keep on with his training. She knows that one day procket will make someone's life a lot better, and th ...more
Kristine Hansen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not being able to say "no" can get you into all kinds of commitments - as Nicki has learned. Wow, could I relate to this girl. The emotions she feels and the situations she finds herself in all really ring true in this story about a girl raising a service dog - one of those projects she just couldn't say 'no' to.

I like how she grew and changed in this book, and think every girl who has trouble saying 'no' would benefit from reading this story.
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is about a girl who can't say no. Many adults have the same problem. My issue is her parents can't seem to understand her lack of saying no and that they, actually, end up piling more on the poor thing. Beyond that, I didn't much care about training a service dog, but I suppose I learned something new through reading this one.
Gnoua
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nicki is qa natural with animals. when the chance to train an animal she never ever says No.
i think she can`t say no to anything even if it will be harder! when Sprocket the puppy turns out to be a handful, it takes all Nicki`s compassion to keep on the training.
she knows that one day, his dog will leave her but she wants to take the risk/
Rachel
Meg
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nicki Has so many tasks to do, and has trouble saying "no" when she's asked to do more. She is now having chores at home, friend problems, and is know training a service dog/puppy! What is a girl supposed to do?
Disan
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think most pre-teen girls will enjoy this book about a young girl, Nicki, learning the value of saying "no" at the right time and the right place. Well written. Not too forced or pretentious. Worthy of being "An American Girl" book.
Kayla
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i had to do this book for a book report and i loved it sooooooooo much.
Bridget
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book.
soo good!
Emily
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nicki seems like a great person. I really enjoyed reading her story and looking forward to the next one.
Reader Girl
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: jf
A typical, predictable children's chapter book.
anne
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
its britty good
Mary
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a really good book. The dog was so cute.
Samantha
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It teachs you about caring for animals and training service dogs.
Hannah Hutcherson
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
For kids under 10 i would say , i read this book a LONG time ago! haha
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
An inspiring story about a girl who takes responsibility and helps others all the time.
Cynthia
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
i liked this book a lot! lol nicki loves her horse, jackson! When she and her mom decide to train a puppy, but with mean girls and family in the way it gets hard to do everything all at once!
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, childhood-books
Anna
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girl of most ages
Recommended to Anna by: Nannie
it is good I am tring to predict the ending it is kind of hard Because I just started it yesterday
Sarah Parker
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
not so great
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Jess
  • Kailey
  • Marisol
  • Lindsey
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly, #7)
  • Lanie
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)

American Girl of the Year (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Lindsey
  • Kailey
  • Marisol
  • Jess
  • Thanks to Nicki
  • Mia
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Chrissa