Start by marking “The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)

The Renegades of Pern

(Pern (Chronological Order) #22)

As long as the people of Pern could remember, the Holds had protected them from Thread, the deadly silver strands that fell from the sky and ravaged the land. In exchange for sanctuary in the huge stone fortresses, the people tithed to their Lord Holders, who in turn supported the Weyrs, whose dragons were Pern's greatest weapon against Thread.But not everyone on Pern was ...more
Published September 10th 1997 by Del Rey (first published November 1989)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,203 books — 2,272 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerMatilda by Roald DahlThe Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Best Books of the Decade: 1980's
1,952 books — 2,229 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan Kennedy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an fantastic book. There is so much happening and so many different stories within that you never grow bored. There are quite a few characters, but those from other books that you continue to follow. There are great characters and one terrible villain. There is continent hopping and history being uncovered. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

It's funny, reading through these books has been a lot of fun. Reading in chronological order has been fun. It has been so long since the first couple o
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is a comfortable book which ties together many different plots and people from all over Pern and ultimately links them to the Southern continent. It is also the book that sets up the latter stories in the series, since in the later part the Pernese discover the sites of 'the ancients' on the Southern continent and start excavating them, leading to latter books.

This book contains probably the most number of separate plots, discrete plot lines and the largest suite of characters of any that I
notyourmonkey
Dude, even McCaffrey got bored with her own new (deeply boring) characters halfway through the book, chucked the whole Holdless plotlines for huge swathes, and went back to focusing on Piemur and Toric and the politics of the Southern continent. It irks my sense of order that huge chunks of the through-narrative from the original (in my mind) six books/two trilogies has to be continued here before being picked up as the A story once again in All the Weyrs of Pern again. It seems a poorly put-tog ...more
Jerry
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Definitely not the best of the series.
Gillian Murrell
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Although I enjoyed this book it felt like two different stories mashed together, along with bits and pieces of the other books thrown in. The reason for that I guess is that it was over a long period of time. Piemur and the continuing excavations in the south were fascinating but I kept wishing they would come across a Dictionary as it would help immensely.
Trish
This isn't one of my favourite dragon books - its very bitty until the last third, because its covering such a long period of time. The last third is key to what follows, though.
Karlie Lucas
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a fan of Pern and its many wonders. Thella is such a great character in regards to villains. You seriously want to see her maimed or dead, you dislike her that much. And I love the details of other things going on in the world of Pern at large, especially things pertaining to the Southern Continent. Those bits are actually probably my favorite.
Katie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the entire book had been about Piemur and the continuing excavations of Landing I would have enjoyed it much more. The continuation of Aramina's story from The Girl Who Heard Dragons was interesting but mixing the two plots made for a rather disjointed book.
Dianna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up getting really interested in the characters introduced in this book. At first they seemed like a distraction from the story I was impatient to get on with, but by the end they had important places in the story and I really liked some of them. Oh, and there's more Piemur. If you're thinking of skipping this book, I would say don't. As well as being quite well written (compared to some of the other co-authored books I've read in the series—ugh), there are key plot points revealed that y ...more
Anne Wingate
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Core Books of the Pern Sequence

I have loved this entire series from day one. If you haven't already done so, begin with the first book and read forward. Although Renegades is terrific as a stand-alone, it is far more memorable and meaningful when read in its place in the Dragonriders of Pern sequence.
Recommended for everyone.
Evelynn
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed the intertwining stories of this book. The progression of plot is a little spotty and the climax a bit late, but the relationships between the characters involved is just as interesting.
Kaylabee
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved it! Yes there were slow parts and yes there were a few too many names to remember. But the STORY, omg, the STORY.

I looooove how some books deal with the same timeline/plotline as otherbooks but tells it from other perspectives, adding depth to the world and story as a whole.

This book covers the same time period as the very first three of the series but tells the stories from the point of view of various Renegades (holdless (re: people who are not in charge or living in a Hold) of Pern.
Max Ostrovsky
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, fiction
I like fantasy. I really do. I'm really starting to not like this Pern series.
Every time I pick up a Pern book, I sigh with reluctance. Every time I pick up a Pern book, I would rather pick up my phone to play a time wasting game like solitaire or Sudoku.
I think it's the writing style. It is awfully dry.
Then the plotting. The ending of the primary plot about the primary protagonist and antagonist (I think primary) was telegraphed from the very beginning, down to the weapons.
Then, there is ab
Casey
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragons, 1980s, fantasy
The Renegades of Pern is a disjointed entry in the Pern series. The time in this book covers the time in Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon, the novella The Girl Who Heard Dragons, and the Harper Hall trilogy.

Renegades reads liked a deleted scene reel. It gives some backstory, but putting it all together for its own side story doesn't work well. Because this book parallels the time in the others, it's forced to skip forward to whatever parallel plot plot is happening.

Renegades focuses
Lady ♥ Belleza
I thought I had read all the Pern books, but I don’t remember this one. This is the same time period of “The Dragonriders of Pern” but told from the perspective of those outside of the Weyrs, the Lord Holders, those under the Lord Holders protection and those who fell between the cracks, the holdless and those who preferred to be on their own, such as the traders.

While the narrative goes in a straight line chronologically, the story jumps around from one place to another, from one persons view
travelgirlut
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Where I thought Moreta and Nerilka should have been combined into one book, this one felt like it should have been two separate books. There are two very different stories haphazardly crammed into one. It's kind of a mess. It jumps all over the place in location and time and point of view. And every time I read one of the love scenes, I just roll my eyes. They are so awkward and forced! I am beginning to ask myself how McCaffrey became so famous when she was turning out books like this.
Kendra
Reread
Kessily Lewel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Renegades of Pern is a fun book and it always feels to me like it has a different tone from the earlier pern books. The first Pern books were all fantasy. Showing us a medieval world complete with Lords and dragons and then we got a prequel that opened up a big secret-- the people of Pern arrived there on spaceships from Earth. The dragons were genetically engineered and the complete absence of technology in their world was partly a choice of their ancestors, but mostly because of a series of ca ...more
Joey V.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Fluffy
This book is a bit difficult to break down but essentially of all the Pern books in the main series this one struggles to match the others in pace and attraction. This is pretty frustrating as it contains the game changer for the dragonriders and the rest of Pern.

I took a long time with this one partly because I've had less time to read and partly because the majority of this book is hard to get through. It only really picks up at the end. And does it pick up!

This one is an important part of the
Vista Townsend
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is unique in that its timeline runs parallel with several other novels in the Pern series. It has a two-fold purpose. One is to tell a new story of the trader Jayge trying to protect Aramina, the girl who hears dragons. Interwoven through their story are glimpses of important historical events taking place in Pern society which were seen in other novels, but retold this time through new eyes.

At the beginning section of the novel, I was unsure how McCaffrey was going to tie in the man
Lila Diller
This is one of my least favorite of the Pern series. It's not essential in order to enjoy any of the other books in this series. However, I did enjoy the ending more this time, as I had forgotten a lot of it.

I hate getting into Thella's POV. And I felt that switching back and forth from Jayge & Aramina's story to Piemur's story didn't help the overall suspense. I felt that there wasn't really one overarching theme or plot. It's just a bridge showing the back story of Sharra from the White Dr
Connie Moore
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting continuation of the Pern storyline, but not my favorite of the books to this time. The story jumps from scene to scene and year to year although, it is all in the 9th pass of Thread. The story's main characters are Jayge and his traveling band, Thella and her murderous band of thugs, and Aramina who can talk/hear dragons even though she is not impressed. I will say, IMO, Aramina played a minor roll in the story even though she was hyped up as a major character. Her presence does furt ...more
Carley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beka
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this about 3.5 stars. I still enjoy it, but for the most part Thella dragged it down. Her Pov bored me. I also didn't buy the Jayge Aramina love. He'd only seen her a couple of times before he saved her. I feel like it was almost more of a Lust that might have turned into love over the years of living together. Loved the stuff with Pieumer. I never did get to read Dragon Drums, but I've always enjoyed his character. I liked seeing the different pov's on things we'd seen in other books. ...more
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was the weirdest book in the middle of the long-term series. It was all over the map, literally. Two continents on this new planet. Ecological dangers of all sorts. Unhappy aristocrat family members. Even more elite dragon rider culture. A hundreds characters in 5-10 different settings right off the bat. The last 100 pages were as hard as the first 100. Then they discovered their space-faring ancestors. I don't even know what the purpose of this book was. Maybe it was all the plot points le ...more
Gareth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
While not a bad book, not a great book either, especially compared to most of the other Pern novels. To begin with the antagonist seemed quite an interesting one, but quickly turned into a one dimensional over the top villain. Also to begin with seemed to start getting a different view of all the events that had been covered in the other novels, which was interesting, but this was soon discarded as well. The Southern Continent bits, while interesting, and certainly set the scene for the next boo ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book covers nearly twenty years, beginning shortly before the beginning of the Ninth Pass of Threadfall, and ending during the seventeenth Pass. Therefore it overlaps several of the other books, adding details from a different perspective, often that of the dispossessed, some of whom become renegades, some by choice, others by force of circumstance. Several stories overlap, with much of the action taking place on the Southern Continent, especially towards the end of the book. As always with ...more
Michelle
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread again and again and again

This may be the first time that I’ve submitted a review for this book and for this series, but I’ve read it at least a dozen times as part of the dragon riders of Pern series. It’s one of my favourites as it introduces AIVAS and the solution to the Thread incursion as an airborne menace, and neatly rounds off the the other “threads” from introduced characters to date.
Will always highly recommend Anne McCaffrey and all her stories:))
Mazil
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Some important plot points and threads (heh) converge in this book, however it involves frequent jumps between a cast of old and new characters and some retelling of other books’ events from different perspectives.

This was hard to keep track of at first, and a little disruptive and tiring throughout. I hope this won’t be a new norm for the series... but I’m hooked enough to continue for now!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • The Winds of Darkover (Darkover, #16)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Brightly Burning (Valdemar, #8)
  • The Ship Avenged
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)