Start by marking “Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voyagers (Voyagers, #1)

Voyagers

(Voyagers #1)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  962 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Ex-astronaut turned physicist Keith Stoner knows the signals picked up at his space station are not random. The message is heading straight for Earth, and Stoner will do anything to be the first man to confront the enigma, even if he loses his only love.
Published August 15th 1989 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Voyagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyagers

Andria
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
Minor spoilers below, but not enough to hide the entire review.

***********

When I first read this in high school, I enjoyed it immensely. I love hard sci-fi, the characters are complex, and there was a woman astronomy student who was making it to the top.

Then I grew up to actually become a woman astronomer. Rereading this novel where I am in my life now, I find it disgusting it was that Bova's only woman character sleeps her way to the top - that is the only way she thinks of getting there, and
Tony duncan
May 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hard core sci fi readers
Shelves: audio, sci-fi-fantasy
I would actually give this 2 1/2 stars. I found much of it boring. But it was well written and the characters were fairly interesting. it just seemed to spend too much time developing this small elements of the plot line.
And maybe the characters were just too predictable and straightforward.
also here is a science fiction book about alein contact and it is not until the last 2 chapters that there is any alien contact.
I would want more before reading the next in the series.

Also, I guess it was a
Josh Zeringue
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is sexist, boring, and boorish.

There is a big plot hole in the climax. The hero "sacrifices" himself in order to convince the people of earth to work together. In order to do this he ignores everybody else's advice and better judgment. In other words, in order to convince people to work together, he refuses to work with anyone. Epic fail.

Also, sexism is rampant in this novel. For example, if you fantasize about being a professor and convincing (coercing?) a pretty, young graduate stud
Kaylon Tuttle
Jul 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011, own
I read this as a light read after finishing something heavier. I wanted a romp with action and adventure, maybe a little light romance. This book had all that and still managed to suck. It's a bit like a Bond movie with Roger Moore, full of great ideas, lacking a bit in execution. It was an easy read and if you want actiony guys with names like Keith Stone and really whorish ladies.... this is the book for you. If you want anything else, like believable and likable characters, you might look els ...more
Monica
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
no plot and v sexist
T.L. Evans
Oct 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Voyagers by Ben Bova is an alien contact book that serves as both volume one in the Voyagers series, and as a stand-alone(ish) novel. Set in the 1980's, and somewhat dated by its politics and technology, it is a first contact novel that focuses on the personal and political wrangling that occurs when an alien object is detected heading towards Earth. Though it had great potential, the somewhat two dimensional aspects of the characters, and the blatantly sexist depiction of one in particular, dim ...more
Balkron
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: space, reviewed
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Acke
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Ben Bova seems to have a dark view of human kind since almost every one in the book was driven by less then honorable reasons and quite a few of them where lying, scheming and bordering on antisocial behavior. The book actually was a bit depressing in the way there was no one to really cheer for. I hope the other books in the series is better in this regard so I'll give number two a shot at least.
• Tom •
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: series
ok, I've listened to about 1 hour of the book (out of 9) so far, and felt compelled to give a review before I finish it.
I find the character depth to be quite shallow , and the plot too boring as well.

And in the audiobook version, there is a bible thumping preacher that is read so loud that it hurt my ears.

I put the book aside while I thought about continuing it later, but have decided that there's nothing drawing me to this book, so this will serve as my final review.
Gabriel
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I do rather enjoy some of Bova's later stuff, but this one is wildly sexist, and pretty dull to boot. I kept hoping the cliché revivalist preacher character would do something interesting, but... nope.
Meghan Ewald
This was ok. Carl Sagan's "Contact" did it better.
Rudy Bauer
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointed. But not because of the Story Line. That was actually thought provoking at least on Books 1 and 2.

Disappointed with the Author. I read many of Ben Bova's books. Some are classics.
Voyager Series is not a classic. Well, maybe if you are one of those people who love books that perpetuate stereotypes.

Consider:
* Religion is bad. Holds scientific and human progress down. Except for Christianity which even on its worst form is benevolent. Others Religions are evil even in their best form.
Wade Watson
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Randomly pulling unread novels from my bookshelf I found myself reading two similar 80s novels about alien objects suddenly appearing in the Solar System and how contemporary Earth fold deal with the matter. The other was Niven and Pournelle's Footfall. While I was not a fan of Footfall, at least it was a fairly memorable read. Having read Voyagers several months ago, it left little impression on me. It's pretty much a string of scenes where scientists sit around and talk about the space object ...more
Thomas
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bova, Ben. Voyagers. Voyagers 1. Tor 1989.
Voyagers, I believe, is what happens when a writer really, really wants to write a best-seller at all costs. First, you steel from writers you admire, like Arthur C. Clarke and Robert Heinlein. And then, you pull out every trick in the TV-movie book to construct romantic domestic drama—which your science fiction idols were not much good at. It is a shame. Bova has excellent science chops. I like the idea that some species out there would send a corpse lo
Kelly Gimmler
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Though this isn't right up every student's alley, it is perfect for any students interested in science, and especially Space! These "voyagers" need to decide whole will do what job and need to use all the skills they can to get their project (alpha) done. These people determine what will happen in humanity's future, and they're given a big mission to accomplish to keep our safety. This is definitely sci-fi and is good for grades 5-8...it is the first in a series of 6.
Durval Menezes
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: should_reread
Just remembered I've read this back in the early 90s while reading another novel (from another author) with some similarities. Do not remember anything near it all, but it's amazing that I can still remember so much after all those years...
Tex-49
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bellissimo libro, sia per il lato fantascientifico che politico nonché per come sono delineati i personaggi
Cary
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
boring
w1ndsor
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit out-of-date but still pretty good.
Pauline F Cornelius
A thought provoking read.

What would you do, faced with life not knowing, or perhaps temporary death and revival, or permanent death? I would travel to the stars.
John
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting enough but horribly dated and it feels like even for its time kind of misogynistic.
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
How would our world react if we were suddenly given incontrovertible evidence that we were not alone in the universe; that there were other intelligent beings out there? Would the nations of Earth unite, or would there be even more discord as different governments tried to lay claim to the benefits that might arise from such a meeting? These are the questions that Ben Bova addresses in his novel Voyagers .

An old radio telescope at a small American university, a telescope operating at a much low
Kate Rauner
Nov 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ben Bova is an award winning science fiction author, has been on the editorial staff of Analog and Omni, and has written a ton of books. I thought it was about time I read some of his work. Voyagers, first published in 1981 and now available as an ebook, was the first one I found. The book rates 3.5 stars on Amazon with 22 reviews, but sadly, I cannot recommend the book.
The book opens with a university professor sexually harassing and intimidating a "helpless" and "trapped" female student knowin
Ippino
Insomma, non è che sia poi un granché.
Innanzitutto di fantascientifico c'è poco: le ultime cinquanta pagine, ma per il resto no.
La fantascienza è più una "cornice" entro cui infilare un romanzo di avventura, un thriller... avrebbe potuto scriverlo Crichton, oppure Cussler.
La storia in sè è molto dilatata, non succede molto in realtà, e si risolve in un modo ridicolo, con un colpo di scena banalissimo.
I personaggi sono inverosimili, a partire dal protagonista che è ex-astronauta, ex-fisico, cintu
Todd
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
The 80s-style first contact story at the heart of the book is entertaining enough, despite a couple of plot holes and pointless diversions (what's the deal with the evangelist storyline, anyway?), but OH MY FSM the sexism. Women in this book exist for three basic reasons:
-to do stupid things
-to do evil things
-to give the men somewhere to put their penises
I remember enjoying this book when I first read it way back when, apparently teenaged 1980s me was not nearly as in tune with this topic as 40-
Steve Comstock
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Vijai
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh
Not impressed. The juicy bit of this book starts way too late (the actual lift off to meet the goddamn alien ship) and ends abruptly like a hot chick dumping you on your second date.

Jo, the Pope, Cavendish and Jeff had no business being in the book. Come on! why bring the love angle when it is as unnecessary as the Oscar's? everyone knows what the important part of the story is and want to just get on with it but no Mr. Bova needs to pull that supposed hot chick and do a bad job of it with all
Amanda
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who read this when younger, then returned to it and was put off by the sexism and the oddly inconsistent plot.

The main character is a man who has no common sense, is a massive security risk at the height of the cold war, is selfish and definitely has a messiah complex. His love interest is a younger women, who manages to get a place on a project by sleeping with the boss. She seems to have no motivation beyond what's good for the main character. The only
Stella
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
The introduction of the first and second character was off-putting. He described the young college woman like a lecher would, the way her clothes hugged her, etc. That has been mentioned twice. I suppose the first time may be because the purpose was to show what a pig the old professor was. Just getting started.
I could not finish this. I am disappointed cause I think the book may have a lot going for it as far as the story goes. But the continuing debasing of the woman character, again when she
B. Jay
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is an entertaining read about First Contact set in a Cold War era cloak and dagger world of scientists, astronauts and spies. There is nothing revolutionary in this book, and for my first Ben Bova novel I am underwhelmed so far. But I have Voyagers II on my bookshelf and it promises to be more cosmic and forward-looking to the future. Some readers may have been turned off by the romance and side characters, but I found the interrelations to help propel an otherwise flat and unoriginal ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Cover, Edition for 3 12 Aug 20, 2017 09:01AM
  • The Web Between the Worlds
  • Slave Ship
  • The Visitors
  • The Star King (Demon Princes, #1)
  • Children of the Thunder
  • The Deep Range
  • Skyfall
  • Predator: Big Game
  • The Identity Matrix
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • The Morpheus Factor (Stargate SG-1, #4)
  • The Lifeship
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo

Voyagers (4 books)
  • Voyagers II: The Alien Within (Voyagers, #2)
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)
  • The Return (The Grand Tour, #19; Voyagers, #4)