Start by marking “My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)

Read Book

My Man Jeeves

(Jeeves #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  32,167 ratings  ·  1,927 reviews
Who can forget our beloved gentleman's personal gentleman, Jeeves, who ever comes to the rescue when the hapless Bertie Wooster falls into trouble. My Man Jeeves is sure to please anyone with a taste for pithy buffoonery, moronic misunderstandings, gaffes, and aristocratic slapstick.

Contents:
"Leave It to Jeeves"
"Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest"
"Jeeves and the Hard-boiled Eg
Published May 10th 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 1st 1919)

To ask other readers questions about My Man Jeeves, please sign up.
Caitlin You can tell that Douglas Adams was inspired by Wodehouse's clever play on words. Both authors are a pleasure to ready simply because of the…moreYou can tell that Douglas Adams was inspired by Wodehouse's clever play on words. Both authors are a pleasure to ready simply because of the language...and the wacky characters thrown together. The biggest differences (aside from genre) are that Wodehouse planned his plots painstakingly, while Adams seemed to throw plot twists together haphazardly. (Although, Adams is much more politically aware...hmm.) Either way, both authors provide wonderfully fun and lighthearted reads.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dianne Yes quite a few of PGW's books run along similar lines. But the pleasure is the witty language and the hilariously described situations that follow.…moreYes quite a few of PGW's books run along similar lines. But the pleasure is the witty language and the hilariously described situations that follow. I've just finished the Psmith series and simply loved them. (though Journalist is not exactly the best of them).
And do read Code of the Woosters. A novel that does not have the same theme. But the most hilarious one!
(less)

·  32,167 ratings  ·  1,927 reviews

Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
'Sir?' said Jeeves, kind of manifesting himself. One of the rummy things about Jeeves is that, unless you watch like a hawk, you very seldom see him come into a room. He's like one of those weird chappies in India who dissolve themselves into thin air and nip through space in a sort of disembodied way and assemble the parts again just where they want them.

Most people today probable associate Jeeves with the man that has all the answers not because they have read P.G. Wodehouse, but because they
Evgeny
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This book is a big improvement over the first one, The Man with Two Left Feet and Other Stories. This one contains 9 stories with 5 of them telling Jeeves and Wooster adventures in New York. The first one was decent enough, but nothing to write home about; the next one finally delivered: it was amusing, clever, and the way Jeeves dealt with yet another difficult situation finally made me his big fan. I also need to mention that these 5 were all good: some better some worse, but in general good.
Bradley
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-shelf, humor
Slapstick Aristocracy? I guess that pretty much sums it up. The butler is always smarter and more ingenious than anyone else in the book. :)

It's pretty and pretty much the beginning of all other similar writings and imitators, and for that, I really appreciate it. Moreso, it's funny and still relevant even if it's just a tad dated. We've still got tons of historical novel interest, but this one was timely for its day in 1919.

The timing and the idiocy and the fairly complicated plotting in the ba
Apatt
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
What ho! This Goodreads review lark is a rummy thing. Here I sit, drinking buckets of tea, that indispensable tissue restorative, waiting for the old muse to come up with something, squeezing the old bean until it turns purple, and the blighted screen remains stubbornly blank. What is a frightful chump like me to do? How interesting it must be to be one of those animal-trainer Johnnies: to stimulate the dawning intelligence, and that sort of thing.

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, best portrayal of J
Sean Gibson
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re in the throes of dark days, you’ve got three main options to turn to in order to get you through: mind-altering substances, food, and P.G. Wodehouse. While there are very few things a good Old Fashioned and a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies can’t improve, Wodehouse might be the most effective remedy of all.

As noted in a review of another Wodehouse classic, Jeeves and Wooster stories are highly formulaic, and the delight in reading them comes not from plot, but from Wodeho
Trevor
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, literature
One of the things Good Reads is particularly good for is answering strange little questions about ourselves. Questions we might not think to ask otherwise, but then when we do ask make us wonder how else we would ever have known… For example, the other day it struck me that I don’t really read any Wodehouse in the Summertime. And I’ve been able to check when I read all my Wodehouse's and it is true. I guess the reason for that is that I don’t need his warmth and sunlight and laughter in the Summ ...more
Fabian
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Stories of rich men being nice to their fellow rich friends, or deceiving their rich families. That there is an inherent goodness in Wooster (or his doppelganger, Pepper--Wodehouse switches protagonists & they are pretty identical other than by name, which is indeed part of the theme that all aristocrats are equally dim) may be the takeaway here, in these modern times. Jeeves is the perpetual Everyman, trapped in a world he's too good for, being appreciated & always adulated by the Gods; ...more
Jason Koivu
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, wodehouses
I've read this all before! I know I sometimes complain that once you've read one Wodehouse story you've read them all, but no, I mean I literally have read all these stories already. Ah well, I've also seen every episode of shows like All In The Family or Are You Being Served? about half a dozen times, so why not give these wonderful words a rerun read through?

Well the answer would be because this is not Wodehouse's best effort at joining up words in a pleasing manner. He's had better goes at it
Rebecca McNutt
I'd seen the 1990's British show Jeeves and Wooster back in junior high, but this was my first time actually reading the stories. I loved them, especially the way the character Jeeves himself breaks every stereotype of the mindless lapdog valet, proving himself to be extremely intelligent and unexpectedly resourceful despite his constant dedication to his job. There's tons of weird humor in the stories and all kinds of small adventures, not to mention wacky versions of the rich and strange and a ...more
Jaya
3-faithful-to-nostalgia-stars
Re-reading childhood favorites may not always be a good idea.The caricatures images of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie will forever be etched in my mind as Jeeves and Wooster (can't imagine anybody else in the role of these two characters.) I don't know whether that is a good thing or not...
The stories did manage to make me giggle and break out into a chuckle once or maybe twice...can't say much beyond that. In all honesty it was just an okay read, which will be a 2 star
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Jeeves - my man, you know - is really a most extraordinary chap. So capable. Honestly, I shouldn't know what to do without him. On broader lines he's like those chappies who sit peering over the marble battlements in the Pennsylvania Station in the place marked 'inquiries'. You know the Johnnies I mean. You go up to them and say: 'When's the next train for Melonsquashville, Tennessee?' and they reply, without stopping to think, "Two-forty-Three, track Ten, change at San Francisco." And ...more
Samadrita
The downside to acquainting yourself with Wodehouse, at a ripe old age, is that you don't glean anything else out of his writing other than the humor and that too appears to be strangely contrived in ways. And the repeated usage of words such as 'chappie', 'rummy' and 'chump' end up annoying you more than you thought was possible.
Another author I should have read as a teenager. *sigh*
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

My Man Jeeves collection felt like an appetizer to me, small bites of petit-fours and cucumber sandwiches that serve best at wetting my appetite for the main course.

1) Leave it Jeeves . Introduces the reader to the omniscient nature of Jeeves, "the brains of the establishment" as Bertie candidly admits. From picking the right clothes to sage advice about betting on the horse races, Jeeves is infallible. And when he's not 100 % successful, as in this opening short story, he can turn defeat into
Sarah Grace Grzy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 16+ for interest
4.5 stars.

This was awesome.

British? Check. Hilarity? Check. Quirky characters? Check. Sidesplitting descriptions and dialogue? Check.

I just *love* all the British-isms in both dialogue and descriptions. Some I had to google to know what they meant, but that just made it all the more fun. Oh, to talk like a Brit! I have so many highlights on my kindle.

Bertie is a hilarious and quirky character, and his narration is just so fun to read. The situations he finds himself in are so amusing. And Jee
Katie Lumsden
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these stories - very good fun, a nice amount of silly, and I can't wait to read more Jeeves books!
Tammy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned me this book, having read the entire series, and I found it to be very funny and delightful! My "to read" stack is so high, I didn't feel like continuing with the series but I may take it up again someday. Great characters...
Melindam
What Ho!

The Jeeves&Wooster stories were jolly good (but there was 3 of them only, the rest were about Reggie Pepper) & P.G. was a ripping chap and not a blighter, doncherknow, but it is not his best collection, which means he made me smile a lot even though there were only a few LOL moments.

Toddle-oo.
Florencia
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-and-ish
I’m not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it’s Shakespeare—or, if not, it’s some equally brainy lad—who says that it’s always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping. There’s no doubt the man’s right. ("Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest")

"Jerome, are you there?" That’s what I thought after reading the first pages of Wodehouse's My Man Jeeves. Their styles seemed
Liz
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for a laugh.
Shelves: reviewed
This is a collection of eight short stories written by P. G. Wodehouse. Four of them are Bertie and Jeeves stories, and four of them are about another character, Reggie Pepper. The Bertie and Jeeves stories are always very formulaic, in that each story involves one of the main character’s friends (or the main character) getting into some sort of scrape, which they then must find some ingenious way to get out of, which inevitably goes horribly, horribly wrong. Many hilarious hi-jinks ensue, but o ...more
Vivian
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-odyssey, humor
This is absolutely ridiculous and very amusing. Bertie Wooster is a an English gentleman of comfortable means who having mucked up an errand given by Aunt Agatha is hiding in New York City and enjoying a life of restrained pleasure. Not being the brightest bulb in the pack, he is fortuitously accompanied by his man Jeeves. Bertie is a helpful chap, and always extends an offer of assistance to friends; he provides emotional and financial support while Jeeves is the planner.

Stories included:
"Leav
Girish
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The first Jeeves-Wooster short story collection is akin to the wright brothers aircraft - surely a piece of genius but way ruddier than how you've grown to love them. My first audio book as well, this was a different experience.

The book is complete with all the buffoonery, muddled up scenarios, slapstick wit and wry English humor. A collection of 8 stories - 4 of which featuring Reggie Peppers who seems like the earlier version of Bertie, always trying to help his friends. Reggie Peppers is said
Nathan Eaton
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, short-stuff, funny
I was a bit worried about this one. I knew Wodehouse was always considered one of the great comedy writers. Two of my favorite authors (Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett) both listed him as an influence to their work. There were plenty of signs that I shouldn't have worried. So why did I? Just a few reasons.

- Comedy doesn't generally seem to stand the test of time as well as other genres. I generally don't find older comedy films all that funny. I'll get some flack for this, but I didn't find An
Anne
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it

Pretty good set of short humorous stories.

This is the first thing I've read by Wodehouse, and from what I can tell from other reviewers, this isn't even his best stuff.
Looking forward to getting my hands on more!
Forrest
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's P.G. Wodehouse, so why not five stars?

Well, here's the scoop. I love Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. One of the most clever duos to have ever graced the printed page. Between Jeeve's restrained resourcefulness and Bertie's self-admitted idiocy, there is a lot of potential for misadventure, and Wodehouse delivers it in droves.

Half of the short stories in this volume are Jeeves and Wooster material. The other half is from what I glean as earlier material, with a main character named Reggie Pepper
Gorab Jain
By Jove!
These chappies leading a rummy life sipping in their stiff b.-and-s.
And all of a sudden Woosh! Jeeves and Bertie disappear to give way to Reggie and co.
Eh? What the deuce?
Overall this was bally awful!... what?
Allison Tebo
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, buy
Wodehouse, you are my kind of guy.

Full review to come!
Judy
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This early collection, published in 1919, contains several Jeeves and Wooster stories, together with some featuring a character called Reggie Pepper, which were later reworked as Jeeves tales. It's all highly enjoyable. Wodehouse's style feels effortless and is so light and entertaining, with plenty of dry one-liners that had me laughing out loud. These early stories are already quite formulaic, with plots that are often predictable, but if anything that adds to the comic charm.

I was interested
Randee Baty
Hugh Laurie states the case admirably "The first thing you should know, and probably the last, too, is that PG Wodehouse is still the funniest writer ever to have put words on paper." I couldn't agree more.

"I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare-or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad-who says that it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of
Nigeyb
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.G. Wodehouse is the funniest writer of the past century. Wodehouse defies superlatives. He is, quite simply, the best comedic writer to ever put pen to paper. I am a confirmed Wodehousian and revel in the man’s comedic genius. I have read numerous books by the great man and all, to one degree or another, are a delight.

Sadly, My Man Jeeves, whilst perfectly fine, is not amongst his best work. Despite the book’s title, the book is not wall-to-wall Jeeves and Wooster, and half of the stories fea
Emily
The Bertie stories in this collection are phenomenal, but the Reggie Pepper ones are tiresome.

Upon reflection, I think I prefer Bertie to Reggie because Reggie doesn't have a foil; he thinks he's very clever, and of course ends up bungling everything. Bertie is self-aware enough that his troubles are amusing, as he's not creating them by attempting to be too smart. And Bertie doesn't worry too much about his own intelligence:

I was stunned by the man's resource. "It's brain," I said; "pure brain

• Miss Mapp (Lucia, #2)
  • The First Rumpole Omnibus
  • A Bit of Fry & Laurie
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Three Men on the Bummel (Three Men #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Nonsense Novels
  • The Complete Saki
  • The Thurber Carnival
  • Wodehouse: A Life
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)
“What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”
442 likes
“I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare -- or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad -- who says that it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping.” 73 likes