Start by marking “Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)” as Want to Read:
Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)

Covenant with the Vampire

(The Diaries of the Family Dracul #1)

A sensual, terrifying, incredibly accomplished first novel, this fascinating prequel to the classic and most popular horror novel of all time, Dracula, focuses on Dracula's great-nephew, who inherits the job of managing his great-uncle's estate...and his appetite. Written in diary form as Dracula is, this compulsively readable book has revelations that will shock and delig ...more
Published September 1st 1995 by Dell (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Covenant with the Vampire, please sign up.
CARLAS L MADRIGAL I've had The Historian for years and have read it twice. It is from a different point of view of this book, and the stories occur in different time pe…moreI've had The Historian for years and have read it twice. It is from a different point of view of this book, and the stories occur in different time periods. Covenant with the Vampire occurs before the time in Bram Stoker's Dracula. The premise of The Historian is basically that some secrets are better left undiscovered and spans a lifetime in the telling. It's a great book, and this one is great as well! Not to let to much go, but Covenant is told from the point of view of those closest to the count. :-)(less)

Start your review of Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

We're doing a Halloween 2016 Reading Challenge in the Unapologetic Romance Readers group and one of the categories is a romance novel with blood on the cover. This proved surprisingly difficult, because while 80s and 90s vampire romance novels were content to own up to their gothic horror roots and splatter their covers with blood, modern day vampire romance novels are much more coy and more likely to feature a woman in a prom dress bein
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally a fan of horror. Not that I don't like the genre, but I just never really found an author or horror novel that really made me want to find more books in the same genre.

Then I read The Historian and found that horror can be about more than just shock moments and blood. That book melded historical fiction (one of my favorite types of fiction) with vampire lore and myths about Dracula and yeilded a book that's one of my favorite reads to date.

Amazon recommended the Family Dracul bo
Lisa Proulx
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book by my favorite author of all time!

I simply could not put this book down. It read like music to me and when I was finished I emailed the author. She and I wrote back and forth several times and she was not only kind and geniune, but offered me sage writing advice that helped me in my own writing career!

Cynthia  Glissadevil
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, vampire
3.7 stars!

“Is there anything more horrible than death?”
― Jeanne Kalogridis

In my search for the "Scariest Vampire Novels Ever", this book popped up on my radar. Published in 1995, "Covenant With the Vampire" is an old school novel with a gorgeous "touchy feely" cover.

The year? 1845. Prequel to Dracula, told via diary entries by Dracula's descendants. Kalogridis's writing echoes late 19th century Gothic. However, a discerning eye can tell it's not authentic 19th century prose. Fans of Elizabeth K
Debbie
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, Kalogridis writes an entertaining vampire story. It was a quick read that kept my interest throughout. It's so nice when you find authors that are good at keeping vampire stories more "believable," rather than just coming off as corny. I liked the little bit of historical information weaved into the narrative--not quite as in-depth as Kustova's "The Historian," but still nicely done. I find that exploring the origins of various superstitions throughout history adds to the depth of the tale ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, vampires
I’ve tended to shy away from vampire fiction in recent years although I am a huge fan of the original Dracula by Bram Stoker and stories that take place in a similar vein (no pun intended). In other words, I enjoy the historical fiction aspects of Dracula, vampire lore, etc. much more so than the blood/guts, sexual innuendo/love triangles etc. that seem so common today.

This novel is the first of a trilogy and fits my preferences very well. It takes place over the course of just a few weeks in 18
A.M
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book started off well, but I found myself liking it less as it went on. Everything seemed like a rehash of Stoker's novel and the events progressed in pretty similar ways. The history of the Tepes line incorporated into an early conversation was very interesting, although anyone who has read 'The Historian' will be treading familiar ground.

One thing the author did very well was build atmosphere. The only thing I remember wishing was different about Stoker's novel was the time spent by Hark
Grace Jensen
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, Dracula fans
Recommended to Grace by: I don't remember!!!
This series is excellent! It captures a historical voice, but doesn't waste words or time. This series makes Bram Stoker's Dracula looks like just a ring on the hand of an exotic princess. So many things that didn't make sense, make sense now. I enjoy all three books, the original Dracula and Coppola's movie so much more!
Thomas
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2019
This book is another pseudo-Abyss title. It was published right around the time the imprint began to lose steam, and it was horror, but it lacks the Abyss logo and name. I remember getting it when the imprint was still in existence, though, so I added this title to my Abyss project.

As for the book itself, it's not that bad. Kalogridis' style is easy without being simplistic, and the story she tells is engaging. Her characterization skills are good, and while she doesn't re-use any of the main ch
Lindable
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
review will for tomorrow!
Leeanna
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Diaries of the Family Dracul #1: Covenant with the Vampire, by Jeanne Kalogridis

"Covenant with the Vampire" is the first in a trilogy about the family Dracul, and is a prequel to Stoker's classic "Dracula."

Arkady Tsepesh and his wife Mary journey to Transylvania from London; Arkady is returning to his childhood home after the death of his father. He must take up his father's duties as the caretaker of Vlad, Arkady's uncle. Incredibly eccentric, Vlad shuns daylight and human contact, but welcome
Christine
Aug 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I actually would like to give this three and a half stars...

I really enjoyed the story, with the new take on the Dracula legend. It's a great interpretation on the legend, and a way to make it fresh again. The diary concept was also great--there was such an internal element to all of the events that if you had had only one person giving a first person account, so much would have been missed. The characters were compelling, if a little dense at times, and the scenery was well imagined.

I had a few
Brian Steele
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
There a lot (too many) vampire books on the market right now. Works like those by the brilliant Anne Rice are being ignored since they are just as much "historical" as they are "Vampirific" Indeed, a number of novels have tried to attached themselves to the Dracula legacy started by Bram Stoker. Few deserve mention... this book is an exception.

Written in the same style of letters and journal entries that the original Stoker novel was composed in, the prose echoes the time period in mood and sens
Gina
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
The author does a good job of creating atmosphere and mood. However, through the first 300 pages the story unfolds maddeningly slowly, then she crams so many developments into the last 50 pages that your head will spin. The ending seemed rushed and contrived. And then to find out that the whole book is just the set-up for the sequel made me want to scream.

I have learned something about myself. Apparently, I like my vampires to be self-loathing and relatively harmless. Which means I like Anne Ri
Cobradawn
May 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: vampire admirers
Recommended to Cobradawn by: it was decided for our May book
Shelves: read-bookclub
reading for May's bookclub meeting.. I started it yesterday and have only 129 pages to go (out of 352). It's a quick read so far, not a challenging vocabulary. So far it can be summed up as "a guilty pleasure read".

5/8/08

Ok So I finished, and I'm disappointed. It seems as if the author was in a rush to meet her deadline and crammed way too much into the last 40 pages or so. There was some unnecessary graphic content that didn't do anything to further the plot. All in all, I was left confused a
Shannon
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book eons ago, I had taken it out from the library, and years later I couldn't for the life of me remember what the title was and its been driving me crazy because I wanted to read it again.
The series is a really original take on an old story and I've finally been able to find it again and re-read it. Its just as awesome the second time around! I'm so glad I found it again!
S. Rutherford
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic
It's Dracula and somewhat accurate to the history, but it throws in Elizabeth Bathory at the end of the series (which is awesome!). It's a very good read, but I will warn you, it's even a bit angsty and twisted. It's the evil Dracula that we're taught about in school (or rather, I was). It even has Van Helsing, or one of his children--it's a good twist of a story.
Janet
I spent the first 320 pages yawning and comparing the characters to those of Stoker’s famous tale. I’m glad I managed to finish the book—talk about a surprise ending! I still don’t care about the characters, but I want to see that slimy bloodsucker get his just desserts.
Kimberly
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful and horrific tale of the Tsepesh/Dracul family; otherwise known as family of Dracula. A must read for those who love gothic vampire tales.
Ghost of the Library
Now this was a pleasant surprise!

Anyone who's been bothered with taking a peek at my profile will know that i mostly, greatly, favor non fiction for reading material or classics by people long departed from the world.
However, every now and then, i get too tired of 500 page books on more "serious" topics and will ocasionally hunt a few good old fashioned novels to read as a distraction - and if one happens to have vampires in it, even better!
I'm a long time fan of that wonderful classic by Bram S
Shaitarn
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Set 40 or 50 years before Dracula, this novel shows that the wily old count was up to his dirty tricks before Jonathan Harker was a gleam in his father’s eye. In fact the whole ‘lure traveller, kill them, repeat’ cycle is clearly shown here as something that Dracula has been doing for centuries – rather than Harker’s visit and intended fate being shocking, he is one of many naïve Englishmen lured to their deaths; one can only feel sorry for the other members of the family, who are very much inno ...more
Mcf1nder_sk
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series of books was recommended to me by @thevampireariella, and for that I have to say "Thank you, Katina". This was an incredibly well-crafted novel, written in diary form, similar to Bram Stoker's original Dracula.
Arcady Tsepesh is the great-nephew of Vlad Tsepesh, but is unaware that his relative is not just an 80-year-old prince, but the original Vlad the Impaler, 400 years old and a true vampire. Now Vlad wants Arcady to join the family business. With the diary entries of Arcady and
Jo Besser
The last fifty something pages were the best part of the book. I think because I knew I was reaching the end. The rest of the book, the three hundred pages before were just dragging on...

For a horror novel, there wasn't a lot of horror in it. There was no gore and it was just depressing. Unless the "Horror" aspects were necrophilia and incest. And that's not horror that's just really nasty.

I also couldn't believe that the author kept referring to a character by their first initial. It was just a
Anna
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For any book that I've read(and thus reviewed it on here), I really don't know how I'll like it. I could love the book or just not get into it at all. I believe I initially got this when I was involved with a book club over twenty years ago(Columbia House I think) and while I read all three books, I did get rid of them. So once I recalled the series, I got them all eventually and as I did back then, also got Bram Stoker's Dracula. I honestly was pleasantly surprised with this. I got caught up in ...more
Karla
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the multiple viewpoints of the book.. painting an all around picture of each character and all that occurred. I also enjoyed that this book's ending was complete, yet still left an opening for the next in the trilogy. If you don't read the rest of the series, you aren't stuck on a cliffhanger. A few chapters seemed a little too odd for my taste, but overall it was an interesting spin about Dracula.
Linda
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Admirable retelling of the Dracula heritage done in diary form. The style and tone are a nod to Stoker's original, but more fleshed out. I enjoyed this telling and look forward to the next in the trilogy. There is one rather gruesome scene I might have skipped. Much better than the newbie vampire tales.
Amanda
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book, I am rereading this series in between new books I am reading. Love the layout of the book and how we see what's going on in Arkady, Zsuzsanna and Mary's point of view. Very well written!
Kathryn
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I couldn't put it down! What a great vampire novel. I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.
Maggie May
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Covenant With the Vampire plays with the story of Dracula in a fun way. It keeps the tone and format of the Bram Stoker’s novel so it feels like a legitimate prequel.
Isabel Garcia
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! It kept me interested and I wanted to keep reading! I don't think that the diary format was the greatest though that's why I gave it 4 stars. Other than that it was great!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Gothic Novel ...: Covenant with the Vampire 18 26 Aug 29, 2017 01:06AM

• Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat: A Graphic Novel
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Servant of the Bones
  • The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
  • Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
  • Dracula the Undead
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Drawing Blood
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead
  • Lost Souls
  • Servant of the Bones and The Feast of All Saints
  • Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)
  • Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories
  • The Witches' Companion
  • To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee
  • Belinda
  • Necroscope (Necroscope #1)
Jeanne was born in Florida , and has been interested in books ever since. Her interest in language led her to earn an M.A. in Linguistics. She taught English as a Second Language for eight years at The American University of Washington, D.C., before retiring to write full time.

She now lives in California with an overly adored Labrador retriever. Her outside interests include yoga and reading ever

The Diaries of the Family Dracul (3 books)
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)