Start by marking “Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)” as Want to Read:
Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)

Children of the Vampire

(The Diaries of the Family Dracul #2)

It is Amsterdam, 1871, twenty-five years before the start of Stoker's novel, and twenty-five years following Arkady Tsepesh's flight from his family's ancestral castle with his wife and young son, Stefan, after learning that he and his family are bound by an ancient covenant to serve their ancestor, Prince Vlad Tsepesh, who is also known as Dracula. For Vlad is a vampire, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published October 2nd 1996 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Ltd. (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Vampire

Start your review of Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
Benjamin Thomas
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, vampires
The second book of the “The Diaries of the Family Dracul” trilogy continues the tale of Vlad Dracul and his descendants that began in book one, Covenant with the Vampire. The first couple of chapters take place in the immediate aftermath of that first book (1845) but then the plot takes a 26 year jump forward in time to 1871 where the rest of the novel takes place. Most of the same characters return although Vlad’s role this time around is much reduced from book one. I was happy to see the major ...more
Sarah Mac
3.5 stars.

There's good stuff in here (several delightfully macabre scenes of vampire lust & bloodspray, particularly the last third) but there's also a lot of filler. Though I can't be certain, as I haven't read #3, I'm thinking this would've been much tighter had the overall arc been split into two books instead of a trilogy, thus eliminating the unnecessary travel details, already-known backstory, & repetitive emoz.

...But I enjoyed it anyway, so there you go. :) These are classic vampires in
S. Rutherford
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic, to-reread
It's Dracula and somewhat accurate to the history, but it throws in Elizabeth Bathory at the end of the series (which is awesome!). It's a very good read but I will warn you, it's even a bit angsty and twisted. It's the evil Dracula that we're taught about in school (or rather, I was). It even has Van Helsing, or one of his children--it's a good twist of a story.
Shanae
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children of the Vampire

Several years ago I read the first book in the series and recently re-read the book because this is a series that I have always wanted to complete. Being a huge fan of Kalogridis and having enjoyed several of her works in the past (historical fiction), I wanted to give this series another go. This is the most raw unadulterated witty writing that I have read in a long time. There is great detail of Vlad's the sadist favorite past times of torture in such gruesome vivid deta
Amanda
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in this series, full of secrets and deceit. Zsusanna seeks Stefan to continue their Covenant and Arkady along with Bram are trying to save him. Great loss and sorrow are the prices paid in this tale with a sorrowful ending, can’t wait to read the final book and hopefully see the destruction of Vlad, which will redeem the Tspesh ancestors.
Christina
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
The family curse destroys everything and everyone in this story that compares with the original "Dracula" method of story telling......the diaries of the family. This book fulfills the fears and horror of the first book and leaves us eager to read the third book of the trilogy.
Glamma  Taylor
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t wait to read #3

Really enjoyed this one as much as the first. I find it rare in series for the second book to be as good as the first usually the second in a series often seems rushed by the author. I found this to be quite the page turner.
Anna
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great continuance of a story. I'm still caught up in it. And the perspective, that started with Arkady in the first book, eventually changes to Bram , his son. And yes, a good amount of the book later on is taken on his story but then, he is going to take the story farther.
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every bit as captivating as the first book! The twists left me gasping in surprise. I can't wait for the reread!
Jessica
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
If you liked Covenant With the Vampire, you'll definitely like this book. It does, however, have a lot more tragedy in it that Covenant did.
PurplyCookie
Both a prequel to Bram Stoker's ”Dracula” and a sequel to Kalogridis's own ”Covenant with the Vampire”, this second novel in a projected trilogy suffers by comparison to both. "Children of the Vampire" is a weaker book than the first in the series; parts of it drag on and on, especially in the middle. It felt mostly like setup for the final book in the trilogy; like the author was moving all the characters and plot lines to where they needed to be for the last book.

Arkady Tsepesh, the protagonis
Lilian Bascuñan
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I should say that since I read Bram's Stocker Dracula's, I become adicted to that book in particular and to the vampire genre in general (minus the Twiligth saga obviously). So when one day I was in the book store looking for something to read, I found this book on a shelve and read the back to see what was about. I didn't know the author, so my curiosity get the better of me when I read at it was a trilogy that filled all the holes in the Dracula book plot, like ¿where those vampi ...more
Leeanna
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Diaries of the Family Dracul #2: Children of the Vampire, by Jeanne Kalogridis

A sequel to "Covenant with the Vampire," "Children of the Vampire" continues the Dracula prequel with diaries by Arkady, Zsuzsanna, and two new characters: Stefan and Bram Van Helsing.

Because Vlad broke the covenant he made with the Devil in the first book, he still owes the soul of the eldest son to purchase his continued immortality. Now that Arkady is a vampire, Vlad must find Stefan, Arkady's son who was spirited
Arielle Crowell
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was the sequel to Covenant with the vampire, and like the first, it was very engaging. It picks up where the last book leaves off with the main character still trying to protect his family from Dracula. What is interesting about this book is that it introducees Abraham Van Helsing, which makes for very interesting reading when we discover his connection to Dracula. You begin to sympathize with him very much for the things that he must face alone in order to save his family, just as the ...more
Barbara ★
Arkady has been turned vampire and "lives" to end the existence of his uncle Vlad and his sister, Zsuzsanna. His son, Stefan and his wife, Mary have successfully escaped Vlad and Arkady is desperate to find and protect them. Thinking Arkady dead, Mary has married Jan Van Helsing and adopted a child (Bram). It takes 26 years for Arkady to finally find them and then all hell breaks loose. Stefan is enthralled and kidnapped by Zsuzsanna and his brother Bram is ensnared by Arkady to help rescue him. ...more
Zachariah N. Allison
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The 2nd book in "The Diaries of the Family Dracul" series, "Children of the Vampire" picks up the pace of where we were previously left and continues with the same hauntingly beautiful narrative as before. Along with new characters, there are also new elements that cross into the fantasy genre, which in a world of vampires, really isn't a stretch. The characters are still vivid and alive, not just stock caricatures. You care for them and what happens to them.

Gone are the romanticized versions o
Christy
Keri
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Continuing along with the Diaries of the Family Dracul, this is the second book in the series.

We find ourselves following now Mary, who has married the doctor Jan Van Helsing and is raising two boys: Abraham and Stefan. When Arkady comes to warn his son of the Covenant, things start to go wrong.

To tell you anything about this novel feels really kind of spoiler-ish so I'm just going to say that the twist is one that you probably won't see coming. I enjoy twists like that.

Out of the whole series
Janet
I could barely force myself to finish the first entry, and now I could hardly get to the end of this book fast enough. The first book, I think, was simply to set the stage and provide a historical background. Now that the reader is up to speed, Kalogridis is free to gallop along with the action. The characters are a lot more sympathetic this time around, probably because there are more than just Vlad, Zsuzanna, Mary, and Arkady.
Kelly
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural, horror
If you are looking for a true vampire tale with lots of gothic trappings (rather than angsty vampires in love), this trilogy is for you. In the second of the series, we learn that father was made vampire while saving his son. Fast forward to when son is now a family man himself and completely unaware of his family history, only to be found by his malevolent aunt. Bram's life completely changes as a result. Lots of chills and thrills. This is not a tale with a happy ending.
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This was the 2nd book in the series and it was very entertaining. A little slow in the beginning and a little predictable in a couple of parts but when I reached the "forest" section - that was THE best part of the book for me! Definately worth reading and looking forward to the last one in the trilogy!
Greg
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
None of these glowy vampires. We're dealing with Count Vlad and family here!
Part two is as good as part one. How about that for an origin story for Dr. Van Helsing, eh?
Romance always goes well with vampire stories, but this is less romance and more about love through sacrifice.
On to the third book!
Olga
May 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampire
I wasn't very happy with this book. It moved slow and it had to many character shifts. The book kept shifting perspectives which started to bug me after a while. The story line was kind of boring and predictable. Plus the story line kept going of on strange tangents. Anyway, I didn't like it.
liirogue
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to liirogue by: Melody
I am really enjoying this series - Kalogridis is a good writer and you can picture exactly what she is describing. It is also very interesting how she is weaving her series in with Bram Stoker's Dracula, which adds a whole 'nother level for me.
Christine
Not as good as the first one. I don't think I'm going to read the third. The "twists" were too coincidental to be enjoyable, and it was really just a bridge book to get to the third (and final, I think). Stop at number 1 and you'll be just fine.
Sherri
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favorite "drac" series by far!!! Highly recommend!!! And yes, sorry Ms Rice, I enjoyed much better than your series.....but I still love your series...this just holds a bit more...I don't give away spoilers for fear of being attacked...just read and enjoy!!!
Kandice Theriot
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and the second one started of on a good note. Halfway through it kinda switched styles and introduced things like auras and secret cults. I had to force myself to finish it. I don't think I'm going to read the next one.
Renee
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a fantastic sequel to the first book. this is a great backstory for Dracula and has a major twist that I didn't see coming. i love what she came up with and can't wait to see how this all ends. another must read for vampire fans.
Katie
Sep 10, 2015 added it
A most excellent prequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula, and an engaging sequel to Covenant With the Vampire, this second book in The Diaries of The Family Dracul trilogy, does not disappoint with it's vivid and gripping story, and strong, well thought out, and endearing characters.
Tia
Jun 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yes
This book was intriguing, yet I felt it was a rush in Kologridis excitement to get to the last book in this series.
The Gothic Novel ...: Children of the Vampire 2 8 Mar 18, 2016 11:00AM

• Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • Alice Through the Looking Glass
  • The Lost Days (Emily the Strange, #1)
  • Thou Spleeny Swag-Bellied Miscreant: Creat Your Own Shakespearean Insults
  • Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3)
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Stranger and Stranger (Emily the Strange, #2)
  • Taken by a Vampire  (Vampire Queen, #9)
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic
  • I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire (Ravenloft, #7)
  • Curse of the Werewolf Boy (Maudlin Towers #1)
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • The Last of the Spirits
  • Mister Creecher
  • Kiss of the Vampire
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
Jeanne was born in Florida , and has been interested in books ever since. Her interest in language led her to earn an M.A. in Linguistics. She taught English as a Second Language for eight years at The American University of Washington, D.C., before retiring to write full time.

She now lives in California with an overly adored Labrador retriever. Her outside interests include yoga and reading ever

The Diaries of the Family Dracul (3 books)
  • Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)

News & Interviews