Start by marking “The Witches of New York” as Want to Read:
The Witches of New York

The Witches of New York

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  8,725 ratings  ·  1,190 reviews
The beloved, bestselling author of The Birth House and The Virgin Cure is back with her most beguiling novel yet, luring us deep inside the lives of a trio of remarkable young women navigating the glitz and grotesqueries of Gilded-Age New York by any means possible, including witchcraft...

The year is 1880. Two hundred years after the trials in Salem, Adelaide Thom ('Moth'
Published October 27th 2016 by Orion (first published October 8th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Witches of New York, please sign up.
Marilyn Boyle-Taylor It's not necessary to do in order to enjoy this book. The novel stands on its own merits, although it may pique your curiosity enough to go back and…moreIt's not necessary to do in order to enjoy this book. The novel stands on its own merits, although it may pique your curiosity enough to go back and read The Virgin Cure after you've finished The Witches of New York.(less)
Amanda - Go Book Yourself Book bloggers and reviewers are sometimes sent advanced review copies.

Diane S ☔
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Victorian age, late 1800's, a time when many were very attuned to their dead. They took photographs of them, fashioned jewelry from their hair, and tried to contact them in the great beyond. Many were there to take advantage of them, in any way and means possible. Charlatans abounded, but were there actually some who had the magic the power to see and communicate with the deceased?

In a little tea shop, three women know they can, all have powers to a different degree. One in fact Adelaide, wa
Brina
On a windy, autumn day, Ami McKay's Witches of New York turned out to be the perfect seasonal read. Last year I was captivated by Rules of Magic, so there is something about witches and New York City that is just, for lack of a better term, magical. McKay takes readers back in time to 1880 New York where witches were no longer burnt at the stake but were still persecuted for being different, powerful women. This is the scenario that McKay has created for her protagonists as well as the secondary ...more
Vikki VanSickle
As a lover of all things witchy, this book is totally up my alley. I loved how McKay looks at women's histories in The Birth House and The Virgin Cure but I think this is my fave of her books. Adelaide, Eleanor and Beatrice are three independent women in a time and place (1880s NYC) when it wasn't exactly easy to be an independent women. They are brave, vulnerable, prickly, resourceful, stubborn, and utterly charming. I desperately wanted to visit their tea shop, have my leaves and maybe my pal ...more
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this one; the characters are well developed and the plot is interesting. The book is beautifully formatted, with lots of drawings throughout and pictures of old newspaper clippings inserted between the chapters.

This is a pro-witchcraft, feminist tale about two witches, Eleanor St. Clair and Adelaide Thom, helping a new witch, Beatrice Dunn, find her place in the world. Beatrice comes to New York in September 1880 to make a new life for herself, little knowing she has acquire
Kathleen
I enjoyed reading THE WITCHES OF NEW YORK by Ami McKay and found it interesting, engaging, informative and well written. I liked the historical references, and was intrigued by the three main characters and Perdu, who looks like a raven, but is not a bird.
Adelaide Thom, claiming to be a mind reader, and Eleanor St. Clair, a keeper of spells, have a tea shop specializing in cures, potions, and palmistry and cater to Manhattan's high society ladies. When Beatrice Dunn, a girl of sixteen and inter
Erin
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 magical stars

The story
New York City 1880. Highly enjoyable. Three witches that become the target for a fantatical member of the clergy and demons all around.

Readers are once again introduced to Moth(from The Virgin Cure) going by the name of Adelaide Thom. Adelaide has opened a shop with another witch by the name of Eleanor St. Clair. Both are relieved to have the help of Beatrice Dunn, a young witch just learning her powers.

My thoughts
I love Ami McKay's storytelling and the way she inf
ⓐⓥⓡⓔⓔ ☞ The Bookish Blonde
Unfortunately, I Cannot Recommend

I wanted to love this book so bad, but instead...

I wanted to give up numerous times—the only reason I followed through upon completion of this book is it was a birthday gift from my, very observant, husband who knows I enjoy all things Gilded Age New York. I wanted to quit but because the tome was so akin to the kinds of places and times that I liked to be whisked off to I was desperate to salvage what aspects I did enjoy.

As for its vices—let’s just say “it’s no
Brittany
This could have been awesome... but it was too preachy for me. Preachy about everything in it from the "religion" side to the "clairvoyants" to the "feminists" and "he-man woman haters". Is there truth in this? Appallingly so, however the presentation could have not berated the reader in the way that it did. Instead of letting a reader get immersed in the story, I felt as though I was constantly being poked to try to rouse me into a state of anger, shock and frothing of the mouth.

Were there goo
LeAnne
Oct 29, 2017 added it
DNF at only 16 minutes in. A first! Screeching 1880s preacher complaining about women acting unseemly, a demon in the congregation whispering a spell that starts the witch hunts, and a couple of cutesy witchy women who sell charms from their tea shop. No offense, but NOT my cup of tea. Chick lit, magical realism, and at least one cartoonish character.

What was I thinking?? Somebody put the mojo on me :/
Kirstin
The Witches of New York was too fluffy for me to love. I adore this kind of witchcraft and was charmed by the herb lore and spells but there is no grit to this book. I'm pretty sure New York City c.1880 had some grit. 2.5 stars rounded up.
Wendy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in New York City in the 1800's this novel focuses on the lives of three witches.
Eleanor, descended from a long line of witches, Moth (now Adelaide) a see-er, and 17 year old Beatrice who is just beginning to realize her powers.
Although flawed, the witches are enchanting and heroic. They cater to Manhattan's high society ladies, specializing in cures, palmistry and potions. They support one another and their secret potions to support women's health concerns.
With many threads to follow this is
MaryannC.Book Fiend
A charming winsome tale of witches with a clever, talking, somewhat opinionated raven named Perdu who was my favorite.
♥ Sandi ❣
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥ Sandi ❣ by: BT group read

An atmospheric read about 3 witches in the 1880's in New York City. Having opened a small tea shop, Adelaide and Eleanor had their own style of witchery. Then Beatrice enters the picture as an apprentice and all hell breaks loose.

I enjoyed parts of this novel. The descriptions of New York in the 1880's, the explanation of a womans life during that era, the account of the gritty city during those years, all made for a great read. The development of the three main characters was very goo
Lauren Davis
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It's magical, alluring, beautifully plotted and full of fabulous characters, both human, and not-so-human (Oh, Perdue, you lovely raven you!). Plus, let's not forget that Victorian setting. Think of the child Edith Wharton might have had with Charles Dickens. In fact, McKay has used many of the Victorian Penny Dreadful tropes to splendid effect.

Three women -- witches all -- in their shop, "Tea and Sympathy", a marvelous confection of place, as full of fairies (Dearies) as her
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books, arc, canadian
i really like and respect ami mckay! i love how she digs deep into history, then spins it for fictional purposes. she's great at creating evocative places and times, and interesting characters. her previous novels - The Birth House and The Virgin Cure - were books i deeply enjoyed. The Witches of New York has us revisiting main character, moth (now 'adelaide'), from the virgin cure. so... all of this to say i was, of course, hugely and keenly anticipating the new novel. i tried very hard to keep ...more
Jessica
Originally posted at eternal escapist.

Disclaimer: I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.75 Stars

First off, if you're looking for a book with a strong plot and a fast pace, then The Witches of New York is not going to be the book for you. However, if you're in the mood for something more atmospheric, then you're going to love this one.

The Witches of New York followed the tale of three witches: Eleanor St. Clair, who came from a long line of witches; Ad
Ola
It was a very mediocre read for me. I didn't love it nor did I hate it. It was jus all right, and I'll probably forget about this book soon. It had it enjoyable moments, and at the beginning of the story I was hooked, the writing and the scenery were marvelous and I just wanted to read and read about those three witches of New York - Eleanor St. Clair, Adelaide Thom, and Beatrice Dunn. Eleanor and Adelaide run a tea shop in NYC, and Adelaide secretly posted a job announcement in a paper to look ...more
Jennifer Eagle
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I waited a long time for this book to come out as I am an Ami McKay fan, however it simply did not capture me. I found the book very broken up by all the ads and historical material, whether fictional or not, interspersed with the story. It made, for me, a very choppy read. I also felt the author was attempting to write a book about how intellectual, sexually independent, strong, women were mistaken as witches- but we also got into the supernatural. I would have liked her to stick to one storyli ...more
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Also reviewed on my book blog:

"What is the weight of a soul? Where does it go when we die? Are there such things as ghosts? Can they speak to the living? What of spirits, demons, fairies and angels? Can dreams hold portents, visions, foretellings? Are witches real? Does magic exist?"

I've never liked it when witches are portrayed as ugly old evil hags. After all the accused were real women who burned at the stake. I believe the reality deserves respect.

When
Thebooktrail
Booktrail the locations -Come to Witchery New York
Full review :

This was a feast for the eyes, ears and everything in between. If I wasn’t fully immersed in the gritty, dirty streets of New York, the buzz of the city and its gothic looking architecture, I was mesmerized from the very beginning by the world of witchery and witchery goings on. I don’t think it would be too much of a cliche to say I was spellbound would it? Well, I make no bones about it – I was. So much so I spent far too much tim
Maud
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
I got an arc from the publisher in exchange for my honest review, all opinions are my own.

This book was so much more fun than I expected it to be!

The reason why I did not give it 5 stars is because apparently some of the characters are from another book by this author. This doesn't seem to be a series but I did feel like I would have enjoyed the novel more if I had read the other book first (The Virgin Cure). I don't know how well I would have gotten to know the characters if I had but it did f
Mary
How do I describe this book? Magical, dreamy, and enchanting. I adore Sarah Addison Allen's books and McKay's story had a similar vibe. Perhaps The Witches of New York has a darker feel and more of a paranormal twist to accompany the magical spells, but I loved it just the same. The characters are lovely, especially the Dearlies, Twitch and Bright. Who doesn't love mischievous faeries? The Dearlies were an unexpected surprise. There's also a clever raven named Perdu, who stole my heart and is an ...more
Makenzie
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The charm of The Witches of New York lies in its blend of reality, magic realism, and fantasy. As a fan of anything related to witches, this seemed like the perfect book to read around Halloween, and although it took me a lot longer to read than expected, I was so delighted by this book. The obvious feminist undertones, both the dark and the hopeful, were what the sold the book for me:
the help they gave to women in need at a time when contraceptives were illegal, the nods to the treatment of wo
Bj
3.5 "Gilded Age America/Witches" Stars for the story and 5 Stars for the narration.

Interesting in its account of religious persecution of witches in the Gilded Age in New York, as well as, high societies' use of witches to fix all types of ailments and concerns (in the late 1800s). However, it jumped back and forth quite a bit (even between secondary characters) and I had a bit of trouble with it keeping my attention.

If you're debating reading or listen, I recommend listening as the narration by
Evelyn Medina
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great book!
It takes place in New York in the 1800’s which gives way to amazing and intriguing world and character building! I loved the strong female characters who happened to be the witches and I loved the psychotic reverend who was trying to rid the world of “evil by getting rid of witches. It’s so easy to get lost in this world of dynamic characters and it was such an interesting journey. I did knock off one star, however because the pace did slow down quite a bit in some pa
Michelle Morrell
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, read-2018
I picked up this book and within three pages it had me hooked, utterly and completely charmed by this tale of witches in NYC right before the turn of the century.

I've heard it compared to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, but where I remember that book as cold, sharp, silvery, this book was warm, full, golden. The difference between magic weilded by men as opposed to magic crafted by women? Perhaps.

I have spent the last few days enamored with the idea of magic woven all around us, in the subtl
Debra
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
At times I loved this book. Other times I did not. I liked the various witches and the different love interests. I did not like when the story moved towards something I thought was going to be exciting, but after a second of excitement, it detoured to something else.
Tasha
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read, perfect for this time of year (October). Lots of fun characters and the setting was made real with interesting snippets of odds and ends throughout the book. It introduced me to an interesting (and probably very creepy) place and a unique historical voyage. It definitely ended in a way that sets things up for a sequel, which I think would be fun. I haven't read any other books by the author and it seems to those who have read her other stuff this one is not as strong.
Cathy Austin
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ami McKay is a superb storyteller. This is a most enjoyable fiction: historical, fantasy, literary. It is impossible not to get caught up in the lives of three remarkable witches, Eleanor, Adelaide and Beatrice who reside and run a tea-shop (tea-shop and sympathy, actually) in 1880 New York.
This New York is blossoming into a city of wonders, when the Great Obelisk, Cleopatra's Needle is to be erected in Central Park and when the Torch Lady (Lady Liberty) is a focal point and meeting place in Ma
Diane
This book is about a voyage of self discovery. The scene is set in New York City in 1880. Eleanor is a witch, inherited from her mother. Adelaide used to be known as Moth (from The Virgin Cures, McKay's second book) and she has abilities also inherited from her late mother. Beatrice is a young woman who decides to take a job at the tea shop that Eleanor and Adelaide run in lower Manhattan and discovers that she, too, has abilities, the ability to see and speak to spirits. Most of the book is abo ...more
Play Book Tag: The Witches of New York, (LISTOPIA) by Ami McKay - 4.5 stars 5 20 Oct 29, 2018 11:32AM
Retro Chapter Chi...: October 2018: The Witches of New York 39 19 Oct 28, 2018 09:34AM
Witchy Fiction: Final Discussion Topic 3 1 4 Oct 09, 2018 08:28PM
  • Crimes Against My Brother
  • Emancipation Day
  • The Age
  • October
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • When We Were Good
  • The House at the Edge of Night
  • The Emperor of Paris
  • The Lost Souls of Angelkov
  • Look Out for the Fitzgerald-Trouts
  • Valley of Ashes (Madeline Dare, #4)
Ami McKay’s debut novel, The Birth House was a # 1 bestseller in Canada, winner of three CBA Libris Awards, nominated for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, and a book club favourite around the world.

Her new novel. The Virgin Cure, is inspired by the life of her great- great grandmother, Dr. Sarah Fonda Mackintosh, a female physician in nineteenth century New York. Born and raised in
“When do I get to do that, Maman?", she´d asked. "When do I get to say whatever I wish?"

"When it pains you not to," her mother had replied.

"What if I´m too scared?"

"All the more reason to speak your mind.”
7 likes
“She’d always adored autumn storms, from the quiet that came before the rain, when the birds and bugs went silent, to the raucous cracks and grumbles that echoed between the clouds, rife with the possibility of goblins and ghosts.” 4 likes