Start by marking “The People Shall Continue” as Want to Read:
The People Shall Continue

The People Shall Continue

Told in the rhythms of traditional oral narrative, this powerful telling of the history of the Native/Indigenous peoples of North America recounts their story from Creation to the invasion and usurpation of Native lands. As more and more people arrived, The People saw that the new men did not respect the land. The People witnessed the destruction of their Nations and the e ...more
Paperback, 40th Anniversary Special Edition, 32 pages
Published October 9th 2017 by Children's Book Press, an imprint of Lee & Low Books (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The People Shall Continue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People Shall Continue

Jasmine
Works well as an introductory history book, but a bit dated and american-focused. Still though, when I think about the history on this subject I learned as a kid, and how radically different this would have been, it's filling an incredibly important niche I wish there were more books in.
Lorilin
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I'm giving this one four stars, mostly because there aren't many books like it out there. Most children's books sugarcoat how white settlers came to North America and took over. I understand why--good grief, the truth is dismal--but I do want my kids to understand (at least part of) what really happened.

I'm still taking off a star, though, because there are too many words on each page for little kids to read. I also don't like the font used or the way the words are formatted on the page. Paired
Alicia
The updated edition of its 40th anniversary captures a cursory look at the Native American experience as the Nations united but then were broken apart and abused by white settlers. It showcases names and tribes as well as the devastation of their tribes when it was thought that they would be "better off" assimilating.

Great stepping stone text.
Michelle Leonard
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story of truth about Indigenous People, maybe more important today than when it was originally published 40 years ago.
Morgan Wright
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
This is a great story to tell students around Thanksgiving. So many teachers tell the Christopher Columbus version of European settlement of the Americas, which is a very skewed version of the truth. This book gives the Native American perspective of the settlement and how they felt about being pushed off their land. It does have a negative attitude towards the white settlers, which is something that you should discuss as a class. I think it would be great to read a common Christopher Columbus b ...more
Mary Ann
Ortiz uses the rhythms of traditional oral storytelling to share the history of Indigenous peoples of North America. He begins with Creation: "Many, many years ago, all things came to be." As the People were born, they came to live across the land. The leaders, healers and hunters all had special roles serving and caring for the People.

Throughout, Ortiz recognizes that life has always been hard. This struggle is part of life, essential and yet not romanticized. Elders told the People: "We should
Barbara
With illustrations created in pencil and ink and then digitally enhanced, this picture book describes the resilience of Native Americans or "The People" as they have endured for centuries. Despite the trauma and tragedies they have endured, Native Peoples still remain hopeful and concerned about the world around them. Although the book was originally published 40 years ago, the events described here and the urgent need to care for the good green earth and its natural resources is undeniable. The ...more
Kate ☀️ Olson
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am BEYOND blessed to have received a review copy of this title from Lee and Low ~ it is such an important narration of the "epic story of Native American People" as described on the back. If you add any children's book to your home library, classroom or actual library this fall, it needs to be this one. It's a re-issue but just as impeccably told and relevant as it was 40 years ago. And in my personal opinion, if Thanksgiving, Columbus or Westward Expansion are mentioned or taught in any way i ...more
Olivia
"The People Shall Continue" tells the history of the Native Americans. I thought this was a very educational look at the Native Americans throughout the history and what their lives truly were like. I rarely see books that reflect the Native American accurately, but this book is one of the few that I think represents their culture very well. I think children should read this story to get an accurate depiction of the Native Americans.
Jorge Hervas
Este texto nos expone a la lucha que El Pueblo ha encarado por cientos de años en el suelo Americano. Nos enseña como se adaptaron a las circunstancias y cómo El Pueblo ha podido mantener su identidad, su cultura y su historia. Aunque la historia de los Estados Unidos casi siempre ha sido escrita desde la lente etnocéntrica Europea, es enriquecedor leerla desde otro punto de vista: el de los Nativos Americanos. Al final nos muestra un lindo mensaje: Todos somos Pueblo.
Marianne
The back cover of this picture book originally published in 1977 states that this is “The only existing overview of American Indian history for children written by an American Indian.”
This is still a superb overview of Native American Tribal history told in the beautiful rhythms of the oral storyteller. Sadly some of the repressive themes of this history remain relevant today as we witness all those Peoples who continue to be victims of inhumanity.
Kim
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Europeans tried and failed to wipe out the indigenous tribes in North America. It is up to all of us to let the next generations know how there was a systematic attempt at destruction by our government. This is not just historical as the government is trying to push through the Pipeline through Sioux territory today. A great alternative to Thanksgiving reads.
Meepelous
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite art style but the choice to depict a wide array of indigenous people in different settings and outfits was awesome. The framing of history is an important one and the writing is good.
Erin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and incredibly powerful because of it.
Laura Shovan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This powerful book speaks to our times. Have tissues on hand.
Chacha Centeno
This should be used in schools!
Rani
Natives owned without possessing. When the colonials came, they possessed and converted everything to privilege. A poignant recollection. Must read!
Jillian Heise
Instead of books on Columbus, read this for Indigenous Peoples Day.
A must-have for any elementary school library collection that gives perspective and context to the Native Nations in the U.S.
Maria Caplin
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Long text good information
Quetzallida
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goodness what an incredible book yo have and share with young people!
Ellie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A must-read. The 40th Anniversary Special Edition includes an author's note regarding the fight against DAPL.
Liz
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-blog
This poem, by Acoma Pueblo poet Simon Ortiz, is the story of The People, from creation to modern times. The People are the group formed by all the tribes of North America, the Shawnee, the Lakota, the Pima, the Acoma, and many more.

Before the Europeans came, each tribe had its own creation story, each tribe had its own set of skills, and each tribe acknowledged the earth as the source of life.

Then Europeans came and settled on tribal land. They did not respect The People. They did not respect th
Ginta Harrigan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multi-cultural
“The People Shall Continue is about the progress Native Americans have made from the time of creation to the present day.

I loved this book. I read this book with my students. This is an extremely well written factual story of how Native Americans were forced to give up their land, lifestyle and even their culture. I am sure Native Americans who read this story will appreciate the cultural authenticity and specificity of the book.

The author writes of the Native American peoples’ great respect fo
Carolynne
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian, picture-books
_The People Shall Continue_ tells the story of American Indians from the beginning to the present day from the Native point of view, including the traumatic events when white men began to arrive and take Indian lands and took their children to schools that tried to eradicate their Indian identity. It is a "teaching story," powerfully and simply told in a measured, poetic voice, as it might come from an Indian storyteller , adjuring today's Indian children to maintain their identity. Poet Simon O ...more
Elizabeth
May 22, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: seen on Korri's GR
The text-to-illustration ratio feels high to me, but it has the rhythm of an oral text.

The story starts with Creation, and I think it does a good job of telling the story of European invasion and continued mistreatment of native peoples in an age-appropriate way without being so negative as to put off readers who've grown up with the Good European narrative.

I think it's a neat touch that the white people are literally white in the illustrations -- versus the colors of the People and the land.
Vj
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artwork is dated (1970s), but the message is still a good one. Would be a good one to use during Native American Heritage Month (November).
Nicole Misra

• When I Was Eight
  • When We Were Alone
  • I Am Not a Number
  • 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
  • Frederick's Journey: The Life of Frederick Douglass (A Big Words Book)
  • Malcolm Little: The Boy Who Grew Up To Become Malcolm X
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
  • Shin-chi's Canoe
  • A Place Where Sunflowers Grow (砂漠に咲いたひまわり) Japanese/ English Bilingual
  • Wangari Maathai: The Woman Who Planted Millions of Trees
  • Take a Picture of Me, James Van Der Zee!
  • Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton
  • Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah
Simon J. Ortiz is a Puebloan writer of the Acoma Pueblo tribe, and one of the key figures in the second wave of what has been called the Native American Renaissance. He is one of the most respected and widely read Native American poets.

After a three-year stint in the U.S. military, Ortiz enrolled at the University of New Mexico. There, he discovered few ethnic voices within the American literature