Start by marking “The People Shall Continue” as Want to Read:
The People Shall Continue

The People Shall Continue

Told in the rhythms of traditional oral narrative, this powerful telling of the history of the Native/Indigenous peoples of North America recounts their story from Creation to the invasion and usurpation of Native lands. As more and more people arrived, The People saw that the new men did not respect the land. The People witnessed the destruction of their Nations and the e ...more
Paperback, 40th Anniversary Special Edition, 32 pages
Published October 9th 2017 by Children's Book Press, an imprint of Lee & Low Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The People Shall Continue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People Shall Continue

Start your review of The People Shall Continue
Ms. B
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the 40th Anniversary edition which includes what I believe to be an added note from the author, Simon J. Ortiz He gives us a summary of the history of the People (or what many think of as Native Americans). This book is the perfect mentor text to introduce young students to the struggles of the People because of the American colonists, settlers or citizens who did not keep their promises or treaties.
What I liked best about this book is that Ortiz ties the People's story to the story of al
Abigail
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: (With Caveat) Readers Looking for an Indigenous View of North American History
An indigenous view of the story of North America, with text by Acoma Pueblo scholar and poet Simon J. Ortiz, and illustrations by Shawnee, Ojibwe and Dakota artist Sharol Graves, The People Shall Continue begins with Creation, as understood by a variety of Native American peoples, introduces the diversity of cultures to be found on the continent, and then chronicles the coming of European conquerors and settlers, and the long and (mostly) unsuccessful struggle of the indigenous peoples to mainta ...more
Jasmine
Works well as an introductory history book, but a bit dated and american-focused. Still though, when I think about the history on this subject I learned as a kid, and how radically different this would have been, it's filling an incredibly important niche I wish there were more books in.
Lorilin
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I'm giving this one four stars, mostly because there aren't many books like it out there. Most children's books sugarcoat how white settlers came to North America and took over. I understand why--good grief, the truth is dismal--but I do want my kids to understand (at least part of) what really happened.

I'm still taking off a star, though, because there are too many words on each page for little kids to read. I also don't like the font used or the way the words are formatted on the page. Paired
Alicia
The updated edition of its 40th anniversary captures a cursory look at the Native American experience as the Nations united but then were broken apart and abused by white settlers. It showcases names and tribes as well as the devastation of their tribes when it was thought that they would be "better off" assimilating.

Great stepping stone text.
N
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book centers on Native American people in what is now the U.S. It does not start with the colonizers. It does not start only just before the colonizers. It starts with the Native people. And it keeps the focus on them. I am definitely donating this book to my library because we need more books like this.
Calvin Read
Great story, great cultural context for the effects of colonization.

I appreciate the sentiment that young children deserve to hear stories of history de-colonized, and to see indigenous people being resilient and not just "eternal sufferers."

The language and format were not suited for a picture book. Large walls of text ended up bleeding into each other, so the weight of the words didn't have it's full effect. The language was also complex for a picture book. This is probably more of a commentar
Michelle Leonard
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story of truth about Indigenous People, maybe more important today than when it was originally published 40 years ago.
Mary Ann
Ortiz uses the rhythms of traditional oral storytelling to share the history of Indigenous peoples of North America. He begins with Creation: "Many, many years ago, all things came to be." As the People were born, they came to live across the land. The leaders, healers and hunters all had special roles serving and caring for the People.

Throughout, Ortiz recognizes that life has always been hard. This struggle is part of life, essential and yet not romanticized. Elders told the People: "We should
Miss Ryoko
I really liked this book. I have Native American ancestry and while I don't claim it often because I am mostly a white woman (and it really makes me angry when white people say "oh I'm Native American too!"), I definitely do feel like some of the Native ways of thinking and ways of life have been passed down through me because it just is who I am as a person (believing that the Earth, plants and animals should be treated with respect, believing we should not fight over differences but try to fin ...more
Morgan Wright
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
This is a great story to tell students around Thanksgiving. So many teachers tell the Christopher Columbus version of European settlement of the Americas, which is a very skewed version of the truth. This book gives the Native American perspective of the settlement and how they felt about being pushed off their land. It does have a negative attitude towards the white settlers, which is something that you should discuss as a class. I think it would be great to read a common Christopher Columbus b ...more
Barbara
With illustrations created in pencil and ink and then digitally enhanced, this picture book describes the resilience of Native Americans or "The People" as they have endured for centuries. Despite the trauma and tragedies they have endured, Native Peoples still remain hopeful and concerned about the world around them. Although the book was originally published 40 years ago, the events described here and the urgent need to care for the good green earth and its natural resources is undeniable. The ...more
mindful.librarian ☀️
I am BEYOND blessed to have received a review copy of this title from Lee and Low ~ it is such an important narration of the "epic story of Native American People" as described on the back. If you add any children's book to your home library, classroom or actual library this fall, it needs to be this one. It's a re-issue but just as impeccably told and relevant as it was 40 years ago. And in my personal opinion, if Thanksgiving, Columbus or Westward Expansion are mentioned or taught in any way i ...more
Maura
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. How have I been a teacher for two decades and have never read this book until this year? I feel like I need to apologize for all the years I taught anything adjacent to history before reading this book.

I was weeping halfway through. My 7-year old son had tears rolling down his cheeks as we read it. It is beautiful, and heartbreaking, and infuriating, and unapologetically political, and inspiring, and SO important.

If your school library doesn't have it, please get them to order it. Read thi
Tanya
I feel this book could have been stronger with an afterward of resources that inspire action. Reading the story, one can understand the injustices that have occurred. And even the 40 year edition holds up with the information included such as about the pipeline protests. But I wanted more as a call to action rather than just a history. The tile implies that despite that hard times, they will survive. It just doesn’t capture how and it does not feel like in current times or will be possible to co ...more
Olivia
"The People Shall Continue" tells the history of the Native Americans. I thought this was a very educational look at the Native Americans throughout the history and what their lives truly were like. I rarely see books that reflect the Native American accurately, but this book is one of the few that I think represents their culture very well. I think children should read this story to get an accurate depiction of the Native Americans.
Marianne
The back cover of this picture book originally published in 1977 states that this is “The only existing overview of American Indian history for children written by an American Indian.”
This is still a superb overview of Native American Tribal history told in the beautiful rhythms of the oral storyteller. Sadly some of the repressive themes of this history remain relevant today as we witness all those Peoples who continue to be victims of inhumanity.
Tyler Garries
This is a book about the struggle of Native Americans to survive in a changing and sometimes hostile world. The main theme is that the people (the Native American) even through all the hardships that they go through, survive, continue on, and remember in stories their history. The book is well illustrated but the text is dense and the subject matter is grim. I would give this to probably an older student maybe 5th or 6th grade solely because of the length of some of the text.
Kim
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Europeans tried and failed to wipe out the indigenous tribes in North America. It is up to all of us to let the next generations know how there was a systematic attempt at destruction by our government. This is not just historical as the government is trying to push through the Pipeline through Sioux territory today. A great alternative to Thanksgiving reads.
Jo Oehrlein
The history of the People in North America and the invasion of people from Spain, England, the Netherlands, and France. It's a history in which treaties are made and broken and where the newcomers take away land and culture and all that the People hold sacred.

Should be mandatory reading for Indigenous Peoples Day.
Meepelous
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite art style but the choice to depict a wide array of indigenous people in different settings and outfits was awesome. The framing of history is an important one and the writing is good.
Maureen
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous short text. I would absolutely use this as a way to introduce the study of Native Americans to upper elementary students. It covers from Spanish invaders in current-day South America through European colonizers, even the DAPL controversy. The text is accessible but still heartbreaking.
Hannahcarlson7875gmail.Com
Discusses the harsh realities of the history between the Native people and Americans. I really enjoy how this book displays the Native people's resilience. I would recommend this book for grades 2-5.
Brandy
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great way to introduce the realities of American history, of the lives of indigenous people in an early elementary setting. Definitely higher level needed for full comprehension but the poetry of the book was beautiful and loved the Own Voices author and illustrator.
Susan
A classic story, told in lyrical prose that's easy to remember and sticks, about all the original peoples of the Americas, their wisdom, their suffering, and their sense of connection with everything, which we so desperately need.
Laura Shovan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This powerful book speaks to our times. Have tissues on hand.
Chacha Centeno
This should be used in schools!
Ellie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A must-read. The 40th Anniversary Special Edition includes an author's note regarding the fight against DAPL.
Rani
Natives owned without possessing. When the colonials came, they possessed and converted everything to privilege. A poignant recollection. Must read!
Maria Caplin

• The Forever Sky
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • I Can Make This Promise
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • All the Way to the Top: How One Girl's Fight for Americans with Disabilities Changed Everything
  • Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
  • Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag
  • Natsumi!
  • Birdsong
  • Thank You, Omu!
Simon J. Ortiz is a Puebloan writer of the Acoma Pueblo tribe, and one of the key figures in the second wave of what has been called the Native American Renaissance. He is one of the most respected and widely read Native American poets.

After a three-year stint in the U.S. military, Ortiz enrolled at the University of New Mexico. There, he discovered few ethnic voices within the American literature