Start by marking “Sharpe's Trafalgar (Sharpe, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sharpe's Trafalgar

Bernard Cornwell

Sharpe's Trafalgar (Richard Sharpe (chronological order) #4)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  8,392 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
It is 1805 and Ensign Richard Sharpe is on his way home from India. His ship is riven with treachery and threatened by a French warship, the Revenant, which is carrying a treaty that could ignite India into a new war against the British.
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published February 1st 2001 by Chivers Audio Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sharpe's Trafalgar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharpe's Trafalgar

Jason Koivu
Like a fish out of water, British soldier Richard Sharpe takes to the sea!

Seems as if Bernard Cornwell was itching to tackle this most epic of all British naval battles and to do so he manufactured his hero Sharpe into the action. I can't blame him, it's one of the biggest events of the Napoleonic War, and if that's the backdrop to your series it stands to reason you'd want to showcase this particular battle in some way.

Contrived as it may be, Sharpe's Trafalgar is one of Cornwell's better effo
Glen
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book, the first thing that came into my mind was the old movie, "The wackiest Ship in the Army."

Sharpe, a soldier, is on a ship in the Indian Ocean. Also on the ship is a Lady, and an old opponent. Pirates come in the picture, and of course, the old opponent helps them take over the ship.

Pretty good. It was different seeing an sea-borne adventure from the viewpoint of a landlubber soldier.
Jim
The actual battle is just the last bit of the book, which is fine. Sharpe has to take a ship back to England & Cromwell paints a logical picture of why Sharpe, an army soldier, would wind up in this battle. He admits he had no real business there, but it works well & gave me a visceral picture of life on board the ships of the time as well as covering this pivotal battle of the era.

Life on a ship of this time was rough. Sharpe, as an ensign, is in the perfect position to show us all aspe
Nate
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Aqua-Sharpe! would have been a cooler title, but this was still good fun. This is an obvious departure for the series, and one I was kinda skeptical about but Cornwell just knows how to spin a well-paced story. I really have little to no interest in naval stuff but I kept turning the pages so it's all a credit to his ease with storytelling. I mean, the plot alone sounds really terribly boring: it's basically about Sharpe's boat ride to England during which he becomes involved in Trafalga ...more
Susan
OK, I give up. Listened to 6 discs and for the most part found myself not anxious to keep listening. Some of the story was interesting, and I appreciate the historical details the author presented, but I just couldn't muster enough interest to finish it. I really enjoy the Sharpe televised stories but I think that will be as far as my interest in the Sharpe world go.

One funny thing - Richard meets up with a Captain Chase...who has blonde hair and enjoys coffee. In another universe, his name migh
Brad
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I had a cracking time reading Sharpe's Trafalgar. Not quite as polished as the works of Patrick O'Brian, Bernard Cornwell's naval Sharpe adventure still managed to be exciting, suspenseful and fun.

And if you are to read the Sharpe books in chronological order, Sharpe's Trafalgar marks the moment when Sharpe can be seen as nothing other than anti-hero bastard extraordinaire. He is a murderer, pure and simple, and we can't help loving him for it and pulling for him all the way.
A Bald Mage** Steve
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I've been meaning to review these for ages, I read all these books a long time ago and I think I would have to re-read them to remember every story line. That's the problem with trying to review books you read over ten years ago. When I read these books it was a happy time for me as I received all the collection including the short stories as a wedding present ten years ago and as I celebrate my tenth anniversary of being married to my beautiful wife, I wanted to save my overall review of the se ...more
Nancy
Great fun and informative as well, but loses points for anachronisms. "Lord Horatio Nelson" is unforgivable.
Carol Storm
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's how to read this book. Start on chapter ten, right where Sharpe is waiting for the battle to start. Read right though to the end of the book, because it's non stop brutally graphic combat action at sea. Except for some incredibly tense scenes between Lord William and Lady Grace. When you reach the end of the book, go back and skim through the first few chapters just to find out how sharp got mixed up with Lady Grace and what happened to Braithwaite.

This is definitely a great book, but th
Kate Sherrod
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'll admit, I've been putting off reading this one just because the very idea of it seemed ludicrous and forced to me. As has been very firmly established, our man Richard Sharpe is a daring, lucky and resourceful infantry officer. Infantry. The guy can barely ride a horse, but he's the devil in a red coat on foot. But see, Trafalgar was a naval battle. As in between ships. Admiral Nelson. Sailing maneuvers (or lack thereof: just go right at 'em). Ramming. Boarding parties. Being on the wate ...more
Sharpe Books: Your Favorite 5 18 Jun 15, 2015 10:30PM
  • The Generals (Revolution, #2)
  • Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
  • The Mauritius Command
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother, who was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his birth mother's maiden n ...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...

Richard Sharpe (chronological order) (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Sharpe's Tiger (Sharpe, #1)
  • Sharpe's Triumph (Sharpe, #2)
  • Sharpe's Fortress (Sharpe, #3)
  • Sharpe's Prey (Sharpe, #5)
  • Sharpe's Rifles (Sharpe, #6)
  • Sharpe's Havoc (Sharpe, #7)
  • Sharpe's Eagle (Sharpe, #8)
  • Sharpe's Gold (Sharpe, #9)
  • Sharpe's Escape (Sharpe, #10)
  • Sharpe's Fury (Sharpe, #11)
“Just remember, Braithwaite. While you were learning to be a fool at Oxford I was learning to kill men. And I learned well.” 0 likes
“You don’t buy a dog and bark yourself,” 0 likes