Start by marking “On Sparrow Hill” as Want to Read:
On Sparrow Hill

On Sparrow Hill

(The Oak Leaves #2)

Two time periods—Victorian Ireland and contemporary England—are again woven together in this sequel to "The Oak Leaves." Rebecca Seabrooke is a commercial manager for Quentin Hollinworth's family manor and is focused on two things: running the best historical home in the country and forgetting about the childhood crush she's had on Quentin ever since her father worked as t ...more
Published January 17th 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about On Sparrow Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Sparrow Hill

Jane
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, on-kindle
Where I got the book: free on Kindle at publisher's discretion. Maureen is a friend in real life.

I zipped through On Sparrow Hill even faster than through the first book in the series, The Oak Leaves so I guess you could say I was engaged in the story. Or rather, stories. The novel uses the same alternating-chapter structure as the first book to follow two story lines, one in the modern day and one in the 19th century. This time there are also two full romance arcs, unlike in the first book wh
Joyce
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Library copy.

This book picks up the thread of The Oak Leaves. It's been awhile since I read it, but I know they are both about the Fragile X babies. Both books are multigenerational stories, in the present day and from family history. I love the way the author weaves it all together.

That aside, it is just one more well-written story on so many levels. Maureen Lang is one of my favorite authors, because she uses several elements with equal strength in her stories. I love the history, the strong v
Myra Blake
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This was a wonderful book. Having read The Oak Leaves, I was familiar with some of the characters in this book. There were also new characters introduced who were thoroughly enjoyable to get to know. This book was an absolute joy to read.
Melissa
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I first received my Kindle, I read the first book of this series by Maureen Lang entitled The Oak Leaves. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Cosima from Ireland but wasn't as caught up in the story of Talie in the U.S. Nonetheless, I had enjoyed the first and the series and was eager to read the second.

The second did not disappoint. I loved the story coming from the letters of Berrie to Cosima as much as I loved the story of Dana (Talie's sister) and Rebecca. I love the way the family histor
Kathy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up this sequel to Maureen Lang's 'The Oak Leaves' knowing that I would get absorbed in the story and enjoy a long weekend of reading. Lang weaves together two tales within a family's lineage, one from present time with one from generations past. On the surface one could say it is a love story (actually several in one book) that predictably ends 'happily ever after'. Yet there are deeper themes of unconditional love, servant-heartedness, bravery amidst oppressive control, and faith in Go ...more
Barbara
Maureen Lang has a talent for combining two stories from different times in history into a coherent whole that keeps the reader involved. Two romances, a school for those who have fragile x, the struggle for acceptance when dating someone from a different social class, and accepting a pregnancy with a 50/50 chance of a severely disabled child all factor into this interesting saga. It will mean more if you read book 1, The Oak Leaves, first. There is definitely background necessary to fully grasp ...more
Jennifer Cain
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This was not a bad book. It addressed the not only parents facing the birth of a child with the potential of a life impacting genetic disorder, SPARROW HILL also had a romantic element. Although I enjoyed this title, I might not read the other titles in the series. I just didn't connect with the character on a level where I craved to know more.
Penny
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because it shows us Special Needs Children in the 1800's and today. Hopefully, there was some truth to these comparisons, because it was interesting to learn what was done in the early days for these children; basically to love them & to show them there was always Hope & they were able to learn according to their own abilities & timetables.
Cathleen
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting story. Reader learns about fraigle X genetic disorder in the context of history as well as present day advancments . I dont usually read Christen stories but I not only enjoyed this one, I learned something. Writing style was great. I not only read the book, I experanced it as well. I may need to read other books by this author. Easy to read. I finished it in 2 work days.
Elizabeth S
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Maureen Lang is one of my favorite authors so this book was long expected. I love Rebecca and even though I did not like Simon very much I warmed up to him by the end. Great book!
Bethany Wilk
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
While it never actually mentions heaving bosoms, praise be, there are a few too many "broad shoulders" and "firm holds" to suit my tastes. It is a Christian book as well as a romance, and the combination is just...weird. (If you like either of those genres separately, it may be right up your alley.) What I did like was the historical fiction segment, as told in 150 year old letters, where a young woman starts up a school for children with special needs. She is inspired by her nephew with fragile ...more
Sharon
Excellent series. Did not know about this genetic disability. Very interesting to hear how disabled children were cared for during this time period. Enjoyed the dual time line of both books in the series.
Sandy Duke
I enjoyed this book even more than Maureen Lang's first book. As an educator, I was especially interested in her description of early efforts to educate children and adults with special needs.
Lacy Williams
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Shelves: great-reads
Reviewed by Lacy J. Williams - originally posted at www.armchairinterviews.com .

Some readers might think reading two time periods at once would be confusing, but Lang handles these interwoven stories with finesse.

While overseeing his historic family manor, commercial manager Rebecca Seabrooke struggles with a secret crush on her boss, aristocrat Quentin Hollinworth. Rebecca is thrown into a tailspin of emotions when they share a kiss. She knows Quentin’s mother will never accept someone of Rebec
Jennifer Taylor
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love the unique and complex subject matter that Mareen Lang has chosen to write about in her book On Sparrow Hill. She and I have something in common--a special needs child. While my daughter's issues are different, I understand the challenges her characters face, as well as their loved ones.

Lang has combined a contemporary story with the discovery of a beautiful historical woven into one book. As a reader who loves to read and write historicals and does genealogy research, I thought this book
writer...
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-ereads
I stayed up past my bedtime on this one!
Thanks, Maureen!

Historical and contemporary plots played out simultaneously; ramifications of the historical impacting the contemporary 160 yrs later.

At some points the one story seemed and interruption to the other, but the further into the situations I became engrossed the more I wanted to discover the next installment of the other. Differences in laws and definitions that had once been acceptable and now decidedly offensive; opportunities for women and
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, ebooks
When I downloaded this ebook to my Nook, it was free from BN.com. I appreciate the opportunity to read a new-to-me author.

I liked how two love stories are told by this author. Rebecca Seabrooke is attracted to her employer Quentin. When she finally admits Quentin likes her too, she can still justify her reasons why this relationship will not work. The story of Berrie and Simon McFarland is told as Rebecca transcribes historical letters. I like the way Lang introduces the Christian elements into
Ruth
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Maureen Lang is such a good storyteller, whether dealing with more serious subjects or writing a straight romance. On Sparrow Hill has two timelines. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like this, but I should have trusted her storytelling abilities. I was quickly caught up in both heroines' stories. Lang's use of language is so good: the Victorian era heroine sounded old-fashioned and formal enough; and the modern day heroine sounded properly British. Two great heroes to complement these hero ...more
Katherine
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story. Interesting characters, a bit of a mystery, some romance, realistic conflict and reactions. My favorite quote came in the last chapter. "God has already given us the strength we need, we just have to get rid of all the layers of doubt covering it up. That's what tests do." I guess I needed that.
Kimy Nalder
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
On Sparrow Hill by Maureen Lang is an intriguing book. At first I was frustrated that the story kept going between the different times, but once I got used to every chapter flipping from current to history and back I was able to enjoy the flow. I enjoyed the characters. I will read this book again.
Janeice
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book like the first one The Oak leaves is very good, it gives an idea of what it is like for a person to have this disease fragile x. How hard it is to face our worst fears and how God can see us through it not matter what the circumstances are. I highly recommend reading this book.
Audrey Grant
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I liked this one even more than the first one! Thank you for the second that tied the ends of the story together. I love the story from the past even more than the one from the present in some ways even though it was more choppy and left some questions. Good books!
Carman
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Though, for some reason, it took me forever to finish. I like what she said about surrendering, how everything is in God's capable hands. I liked that. Good book, really liked Quentin too. ;)
Marietta Waters
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lesson for faith.

Sometimes it is a struggle with our confusing thoughts of life to see what the real truth lies before us. If only we could realize that if we would put our faith in God, our answers word come more easily.
This book is a great illustration of faith in God.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I really enjoyed this book, the way that Maureen Lang weaved a story out of the present day and the past using old letters was very interesting and the first time I had read anything like that and it was a very good story.
Sandy Sandmeyer
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of The Oak Leaves series where we learn what's happened since Cosima moves to America and Berrie starts her school. We, also, learn about what happens with Dana and Talie when they meet their English cousin.
Lindameredith07
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Parallel stories in different time periods dealing with the same medical problem. Nicely done.
Mimi
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Content-wise, it was too tame for my taste but I see how it could appeal to a rather prudish bunch. The book was confusing to follow and I couldn't finish the last thirty pages.
Cindy
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-l-m
An excellent book. A romance novel but also a story of the emotions of Fragile X being inherited through years and years.
Susan
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a nice inspiring story. I like the life lessons that are interweaved.

• The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Delivery
  • Before the Season Ends (Forsythe, #1)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • The Dead Saint
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
  • Beyond All Price
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Clear Blue Sky (Midtown Blue #4)
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)

Maureen Lang

Maureen Lang has always had a passion for writing. She wrote her first novel longhand around the age of 10, put the pages into a notebook she had covered with soft deerskin (nothing but the best!), then passed it around the neighborhood to rave reviews. It was so much fun she's been writing ever since.

Most of her books are historical, with an emphasis on faith and romance.

Maureen liv

The Oak Leaves (2 books)
  • The Oak Leaves (The Oak Leaves, #1)