Start by marking “Hunger” as Want to Read:
Hunger

Hunger

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In Erica Simone Turnipseed's captivating follow-up to A Love Noire, heartache fans the flames of lust when freethinking Noire and Innocent, her urbane African ex, reunite.

Noire and Innocent are both having a thirtysomething crisis. His former identity as a successful investment banker and eligible bachelor has disappeared. A beleaguered graduate student, she's got no money
Published August 22nd 2006 by Amistad (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunger

Mel
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Erica Simone Turnipseed's writing style. I wasn't expecting a happy sappy ending. A lot of relationships don't have them. But Noire and Innocent's relationship made no sense to me. I can understand being drawn to someone, and that being the only thing holding you together. That attraction. Or trying to sustain a relationship. But, being divided on issues such as class, and background. It just seemed like (in both books) Noire and Innocent's relationship was much more dramatic and complica ...more
Victoria Kennedy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The romantic in me wanted a fairy tale but the writer in Turnipseed delivered a real tale of the ebb and flow of love. As in her debut novel, the prose is eloquent and tight. Noire and Innocent didn't do everything I wanted them to do but they held my attention, my hopes and my desires for them down to the last line. I was left with a yearning that could only be filled by another installment. And if that never happens, Turnipseed's writing will be enough to sustain me, no matter what story she c ...more
Tequila Lotus
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I guess that I understand where she was going with this book but I could connect to it emotionally, like I did with A Love Noire. Also I didn't like the direction the novel took but I still have the most respect for Erica's writing skills even though I was disappointed with how things turned out for Noire and Innocent.
Faith Nunley
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I love how the characters developed from the previous novel, Love Noire. While I was saddened by the outcome, it was realistic. Not your typical love story, but a thoughtful and invoking read.
Afiya
Dec 12, 2007 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book because I really liked her first book. This book seemed a bit crowded with various story lines. I think she may have tried to talk about too many issues in this one book. Yet, i would still recommend this book.
Robin
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noire and Innocent

I felt their pain, their love, their discoveries, and their growth. This is truly a love story. I'm so glad that I started the new year with this book.
Chevronda
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this sequel as much as I enjoyed the first. Maybe I was looking for a happily ever after...go figure.
Sydelle
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Very well written. Delves into the reality of grown up issues in relationships. Fantastic job by the writer.
Nikki
Aug 04, 2008 added it
Loved It! Waiting to see what will be her next creation
dani
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
i enjoyed this and her first book, A Love Noire. the story was good; i loved the different language and culture references.
Kenitta
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was the needed next step from "A Love Noire". It needed to finish the exploration ... It is the journey we are all on, discovering differences beyond the surface.
Tammy
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful follow-up to Love Noire not what I expected but still VERY enjoyable.
Ashley-Dior
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is just as good as the first. Loved it!
Mariette
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to a love noire ....read this book in about two hours. *spoiler alert* the two main characters do not end up toegtehr which drove me crazy!!
Danni
Mar 06, 2012
Andrea
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Erica Simone Turnipseed's debut novel, A Love Noire, won the Atlanta Choice Award Author of the Year from the Atlanta Daily World. In addition, Turnipseed was nominated for Breakout Author of the Year for the African American Literary Awards Show Open Book Award.

A philanthropist, Turnipseed founded the Five Years for the House Initiative, a fundraising drive for the Afro American Cultural Center a
More about Erica Simone Turnipseed