Start by marking “The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)

The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords #1-3)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  2,219 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Contains: Woundhealer's Story / Sightblinder's Story / Stonecutter's Story

Young Kasimir was the custodian of Stonecutter, the sword which could hew mountains or diamonds with equal ease. But now, Stonecutter has been stolen, and Kasimir must recover it before it causes irrevocable damage.
Published 1989 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Swords

Benjamin
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Saberhagen was a prolific author of both fantasy and science fiction. Most of his science fiction is related to or part of the Berserker series, which had widespread effects in the world of sci-fi movies especially. His fantasy books are largely sword-and-sorcery epics related to the stories of twelve swords of power created by the gods. This book tells the story of three of those swords. Saberhagen has a matter-of-fact style that doesn't do much to stir the reader's emotions. But the storytelli ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is an omnibus, so I'll be adding reviews as I finish the books.

Woundhealer's Story:

We meet up with the main characters of the Books of Swords (Mark and Ben and their families) about ten years later. Mark's a ruling prince, his firstborn son is blind and epileptic, and he decides to go chase down Woundhealer to cure him. In the meantime, his nephew Zoltan takes over the young adventurer role and wanders off on his own.

The framing of this series is a little odd - the book is not really much
Dann Todd
Nov 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I have read the Complete Book of Swords many times over the years. It is a fantastic book. I have also read a fair amount of Mr. Saberhagen's other work and been equally satisfied.

I picked up this book at a used book store thinking that it might be as good as the "Complete" was. Or at least be close.

Not so much.

Where the "Complete" tells the story of the swords as they wend their way through the world by flashing to different characters and interactions, The Lost Swords is really pretty linear.

T
Patricia Hamill
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
I recommend reading The First Swords before the The Lost Swords: The First Triad. Things will make much more sense to you if you do. All are worth fetching a copy.

This volume combines the first three volumes of the Books of Lost Swords and continue some years after The First Swords leave off. The gods and goddesses who put the swords into play are long gone, but the swords still wreak havoc in the world.

Colin
While this series is supposed to be a "classic", I was a bit disappointed . . . and the more I read about the backstory, the more I find it an ill-fitting mix of post-apocalyptic sci-fi and fantasy. It wasn't bad, it just didn't appeal to me as much as I had hoped.
Rusty
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Mark seeks Woundhealer to heal his blind son; The Ancient One takes over an island fortress in a big lake and Mark and Ben challenge him using Sightblinder; Stonecutter is stolen from the desert prince Mark lends it to and the great detective Wen Chang tries to get it back
Kevin Driskill
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Loved this collection of stories. It smacks simultaneously of Greek myth and Lord of the Rings. Wildly inventive and fun to read the development of the characters as the stories progress.
Travis Kerr
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
one of the more interesting takes on sword and sorcery fiction, where the weapon itself and not the character wielding it is the main focus. I found it to be an excellent read
Jonathan
Mar 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I read half of the first novel but when the hero used the macguffin to do what the whole plot was about AND it didn't work, I lost interest. Maybe I'll try it again in the future.
Evans
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Great stories. Woundhealer took a few to get into, but it ended up pretty good. Shockingly my favorite was Stonecutter. Give it a shot.
Leon
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Good old classic (epic) fantasy with some nice twists, like a decent home cooked meal, it might not be haute cuisine, but it's still damned good.
Kevin
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fred Saberhagen has not let me down so far with his Sword series! From the very first line to the last word.
Adam
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Obviously something I devoured as a boy, but, much like The Complete Book of Swords, a rereading offers little more than nostalgia.
Bill
May 03, 2012
Cassablanca
Nov 12, 2009
Goodreads Librari...: Possible merge 2 13 May 04, 2017 04:33PM
  • The Elric Saga Part II (Elric Saga, #4-6)
  • Swords' Masters
  • The Sword of the Shannara and The Elfstones of Shannara
  • Myth-ing Persons / Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #5-6)
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • Return to Mars (Barsoom, #4-6)
  • Beyond Sanctuary
  • Thieves' World: First Blood (Thieves' World, #1-2)
  • The Sword of Truth Gift Set (Sword of Truth, #1-5)
  • Monster Manual (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2009)
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • Master of the Five Magics
Fred Saberhagen was an American science fiction and fantasy author most famous for his ''Beserker'' and Dracula stories.

Saberhagen also wrote a series of a series of post-apocalyptic mytho-magical novels beginning with his popular ''Empire of the East'' and continuing through a long series of ''Swords'' and ''Lost Swords'' novels. Saberhagen died of cancer, in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Saberhagen was
More about Fred Saberhagen...

Lost Swords (8 books)
  • The First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story (Lost Swords, #1)
  • The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)
  • The Third Book of Lost Swords: Stonecutter's Story (Lost Swords, #3)
  • The Fourth Book of Lost Swords: Farslayer's Story (Lost Swords, #4)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
  • The Sixth Book of Lost Swords: Mindsword's Story (Lost Swords, #6)
  • The Seventh Book of Lost Swords: Wayfinder's Story (Lost Swords, #7)
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)