Start by marking “Conversations with J.K. Rowling” as Want to Read:
Conversations with J.K. Rowling

Conversations with J.K. Rowling

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  4,594 ratings  ·  110 reviews
The name J.K. Rowling is one that is on the lips of millions of readers worldwide, but before 1997 few people knew the brilliant woman behind the phenomenally successful Harry Potter books. And now, four books into the series, few yet know the real story of Ms. Rowling's childhood and career as a writer. This is the first and only true telling of Ms. Rowling's history beca ...more
Published October 2001 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Conversations with J.K. Rowling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversations with J.K. Rowling

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Conversations with J.K. Rowling
PurplyCookie
If you're a Harry Potter fan who knows a lot about J.K. Rowling, then you won't find much new in this slim, large-type book. But younger kids (and Muggle grownups hoping for some insight into the world of Harry Potter) will learn quite a bit about this phenomenally successful series and its unassuming author.

Divided into roughly three sections, "Conversations with J.K. Rowling" begins with some fairly general questions about the author's early childhood ("Tell us about your grandparents" is wher
Amy
Feb 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I love Harry Potter, and since this is the only "official" J.K. Rowling biography, I headed for it first. I learned a few "behind the story" items that were interesting. The middle section is just a summary of the books, so if you've read them, just skip to the last few pages where they highlight media interviews. Since this only encompassed books 1-4, I would like to see something more now that she's finished writing all seven.
Joan
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice book meant for kids, published by Scholastic, capitalizing on the earlier HP craze. However, it had a nice informative interview with Rowling that I enjoyed a great deal. Verdict: Not tossing this book, yet at least! Now, on to find some book I don't want in this house!
Book Concierge
This is the ONLY authorized biography of J. K. Rowling. It’s basically divided into three parts. The first half of the book are questions posed to Rowling – the sorts of questions her legions of fans might want to ask. This covers her life from childhood to her unimagined success as a writer. The middle section deals with the books; only the first three had been published when this was written, though book # 4 was ready and is discussed (no spoilers). The last section revisits some of the interv ...more
Kayrene Smither
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-bio
This is a sweet little book about J. K. Rowling. If you've read and loved the Harry Potter series, this book gives you a lot of insight and tidbits about how she came up with the story and characters. Really interesting, and thoroughly enjoyed!
Sarina
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love reading about J.K. Rowling and her life which led me to think that this book was for me. Nope, not really.

The questions were generic, like "Did you watch much television as a child?" or "Do you enjoy the book tours?" It was fun to read some of J.K. Rowling's favorite things when she was younger but other than that, it read like a Wikipedia page minus a good portion of the details. I certainly wouldn't go to this book to find details about Rowling's life. To add insult to injury, this boo
Molly Lighthart
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just an inspiration. This is what I wanted to start 2019 reading, the clean slate and goals. Plus it’s so weird reading it so many years later and in this only books 1-4 were out!
Adri G.M.
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Short and cute, written for kids, I believe, problem is it only left me wanting more!!!! I want a real authorized biography now!
Reeny
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The first third of the book was a conversation with JKR. It's interesting to see her thought process/what she says circa 2004/GoF. The middle section of the book was summaries of the first 4 HP books. Why????? Who is going to be interested enough in Harry Potter to pick up the author's biography that hasn't read the books??? The last bit was media sound bytes and quotes.

UPDATE: I legit forgot I had read this and I saw it ion my bookshelf recently and excitedly picked it up for a quick read. I g
Jennifer Datus
May 05, 2010 marked it as to-read
I will like to know more of J.K. Rowling and this book will help me do that.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog Craft-Cycle

Good book, quick read.

Growing up, I was obsessed with Harry Potter (let's be real, I still am). I am sure I read this book a few times growing up, but I didn't remember much from it, so when I came across my old copy of it, I figured it was time for a re-read.

Good book overall. I especially enjoyed the interview section in which Rowling talks about her life. From there, the book is just a lot of summary of the first four books. It is interesting re
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being an avid Harry Potter reader I of course love knowing more about the author! This book was published just after the 4th book came out so it's definitely outdated (my copy came from the school book fair where I bought it for my sister as a gift if that gives you an idea of how old!) but it's so nice reading a candid conversation about J.K.'s life and interests. J.K. Rowling was a single mother who taught English classes and dreamed of being an author. The whole time she's giving the intervie ...more
Anna
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I laughed when I found this in my childhood bedroom - I don’t even remember getting this book! It’s an interview and review with JK Rowling from the time when the 4th book had just been published and none of the movies had come out yet. It was wild to read a review from back when the movies hadn’t been filmed and the characters had yet to be cast! I wouldn’t buy it because it’s so outdated, but there are little bits of trivia I hadn’t known before in the interview, so that was pretty neat.
Myriam Codry
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit disappointed. I really expected to learn more about my favorite author. But nothing new here. Though it was nice getting some answers directly from JK, I kind of knew the answers to most questions already. Simply put, if you're a big HP fan like I am, you won't find much in this book that you didn't know already. If you're fairly new at this, I think this is a nice way to introduce the series and the spirit of the series. For muggles only ;)))
Italy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Conversations With Jk Rowling” by Lindsey Fraser and JK Rowling herself, is a biography. I read this book because I finished all 7 books in the Harry Potter series, and I wanted to learn more about the author, JK Rowling. This book was separated in categories like childhood,school life, career, and more! I would recommend reading this book after reading some of the books because, this book does reference to the books a lot and you can get a clearer understanding of the book. I would recommend t ...more
Britt Kunkle
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re looking to find out a bit more about J.K. Rowling or a little bit about the making of Harry Potter this book is a really great quick read to give you some more information into her life and how Harry Potter came to be.
Abbie | epochnovels
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring, short, and sweet book about J.K. Rowling's life, as well as her writing. I've been in a slump lately, and this was a nice little treat to pull me out of it. Now, I want nothing more to go and write to my heart's content.
Lynda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-teens, easy-read
Though written in 2000, when J K Rowling was only half-way through writing her stunning series, this little book is still a great insight into Rowling's passion, inspiration and life. Written in a question-answer format, it should interest all Harry Potter fans.
Tamara Zann
Good interview with insides into Rowling's life
Quincy Richardson
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. Great little interview based biography with fun facts. Perfect for younger readers that want to know more about the master mind behind the wonderful world of Harry Potter.
Autumn
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
This would be a nice book for elementary students to read if they are fans of Harry Potter. It doesn't have an overwhelming amount of information, just snippets.
Melissa
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love anything Harry Potter. I enjoyed learning more about J.K. Rowling and where her characters came from. Very short, quick read.
Jessie
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Even thought it was a really short book, I really enjoyed it. Many of the facts in this book are very well known or easy to find online. However, if you are like me and you are a HUGE Harry Potter buff and you enjoy just reading a ton of fun little facts all assembled in a small book. I would suggest picking up this book.
Nour Hariri
Sep 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Do you want to know how J.K Rowling had the idea to come up with the book series, Harry Potter. This book is like you reading her diary. J.K Rowling is an author who had a lot of experience in her life. "I think Miss. Shepherd might have believed I could be a writer but I don't think she expected it of me. I always, always wanted to be a writer but I never shared my burning ambition with anyone.” This page has 96 pages. This book was a little challenging.
Feraca Grant
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love this book because she is the creator of one of my favorite characters ever.
Isabella Vega
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The book Conversations with J.K . Rowling is packed with information and even the small details are in this book. It talks you though her whole writing life and the life before that. J.K. Rowling was very influential and a big contribute to the world. I learned in the book that she contributed thousands of dollars to charities. I recommend this book to people who like harry potter.
A.D. Mercer
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.K. Rowling is without doubt one of, the most successful writers of all time. Of course this was not always the case, indeed her beginnings were pretty ordinary and, like most successful people, there are many biographies already written, or in the processes of being written. And yet considering Rowling’s books are aimed primarily at children, although now read by everyone, there are no biographies aim at children. There is where 'Telling Tales - An Interview with J.K. Rowling' is so good.

The
jazz-ee2
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I took the opportunity of a couple of spare hours and a lovely sunny day to read this book at Ollerton Heath. It's interesting to read retrospectively, being based on an interview conducted in 2000 when Rowling had still only written and published the first 3 Harry Potter books, and just the first film. Having the knowledge that she has since gone on to be even more successful is a little like having information that the author doesn't have!

A simple book intended as an overview/for younger peopl
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to reading this - although it was only short and published just after the Goblet of Fire came out so isn't up to date, it's the only biography of JK Rowling available, and being a huge HP fan I had to read it.

I was disappointed to find that the actual conversation with Rowling only lasted half of the book (about 50 pages) and I didn't learn many new things. I was shocked and appalled to find mistakes in the book, when, during the synopsis of the books, the author say
L12aliciacarrera
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: info-bios
This biography was meant to be read as if you were having a conversation with J.K. Rowling. Instead, it felt more like a very brief introduction to her. I was interested in finding more about the author that created Harry Potter, but I was disappointed when I didn't learn much more about her than what I already knew. There were very few facts that weren't already very well known about her. There was a total of 96 pages in this book, and the majority of it was a quick overview of the Harry Potter ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • Mugglenet.Com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
  • Harry Potter: Film Wizardry
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
  • Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book: Based on the Film Phenomenon
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe