Start by marking “Cosmic” as Want to Read:
Cosmic

Cosmic

Liam is too big for his boots. And his football strip. And his school blazer. But being super-sized height-wise has its advantages: he's the only eleven-year-old to ever ride the G-force defying Cosmic rollercoaster - or be offered the chance to drive a Porsche. Long-legged Liam makes a giant leap for boy-kind by competing with a group of adults for the chance to go into s ...more
Published July 30th 2008 by MacMillan UK (first published May 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cosmic, please sign up.

Betsy
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Close your eyes. Lean back. Take a breath. Now think. Think about the books you read when you were a child. Think about the ones you loved. The ones you still think about sometimes. The ones that encouraged you to consider the world around you.

Got them in your head? Great. Now just pluck out for me the ones that took place in outer space. Go on. I can wait.

What’s that? You can’t think of any significant children’s books that took place in space? Would The Little Prince count? I guess so, but th
Justine
I read this with my 10 year old son for his book club run through a local independent book store, and we really enjoyed it!

It is a genuinely humorous and well-written middle grade book. No surprise as the club facilitator is an absolute book genius when it comes to kids and YA titles.

I don't know whether to be surprised or not to find that none of the other parents read the book. Am I unusual for reading the books my kids are reading? Genuine question. I just like to enjoy the books with them a
Monica Edinger
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Monica by: Kelly
Here's my blog post:

A few years ago I fell hard for Millions, Frank Cotrell Boyce’s first book for children. The outlandish situation (two boys feverishly spending large amounts of money), the characterizations (particularly of the two boys and their father), the subtle handling of the big emotional and theological themes (of grief and faith), the laugh-out-loud humorous moments (my favorite being the playground economy), and the remarkable voice of narrator Damian (the younger of the two boys)
Lee
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book aloud to my nine year old daughter and Cosmic was in parts 'totally cosmic'.

This was a strange book, the main character is a 12 yo boy who is very tall, has some facial hair and often gets confused as an adult. The characters are from a small town called Bootle in England, which is somewhere near Liverpool I believe. So I needed to watch a bit of Red Dwarf to practice my Liverpudlian accent before we started. The young lad enters a competition with Drax World, a mobile phone co
Cheryl
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for fiction club, children's books group

What a hoot! Easy to suspend disbelief despite ridiculous premise. Mostly funny, both clever and slapstick. Also some tender & wise & exciting bits. So glad I was alerted to this; hope to read more by the author.
Anna Mussmann
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is what happens when you take a Roald-Dahl-style premise and give it a heart. It's warm, humorous, and told in a fantastically convincing middle grade voice. In an unusual turn for a middle grade novel, it's also a reflection on fatherhood, and as our young protagonist attempts to be "dadly," (why? long story) readers are reminded of how awesome dads really are.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I've had this ARC sitting on my shelf for a few months now, and if I'd known how much fun it would be and how much I'd like it, I would have read it as soon as I got it. But it's a new author for me, and the blurb didn't make it sound all that interesting. Since this North American edition is due out early next year, I thought I should probably get reading. And it turned out to be just what I needed: a funny, laugh-out-loud, wistful and rollicking ride that reminded me at times of Roald Dahl (mo ...more
Lisa the Librarian
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 3-6th graders - especially boys
Recommended to Lisa by: Molli Craghead
I think the author was counting on the fact that nerds from different factions don't mix. Meaning that reader nerds don't play online games and gamer nerds don't read kids' novels.

Well as an elementary school librarian children's literature is my business (and fortunately for me also my passion). My husband is a big gamer and I play with him. So I guess I qualify as that rare (possibly statistically non-existent) double nerd who both reads children's books and plays an online game.

The main char
Marcia
Naar de maan is een super schattig boek over de twaalfjarige Liam die met zijn lengte iedereen voor de gek houdt. Hij is zo groot, dat mensen denken dat hij een volwassene is. En zo belandt hij aan boord van een ruimteschip. De schrijfstijl is heel grappig en het verhaal vertederend. Echt een leuk kinderboek!
Een uitgebreide recensie volgt.
RhiannaH
A hilarious story about a young boy who finally feels at home in himself and his unusual size. Cosmic illustrates the extreme consequences of lying as well as the immense power that comes with responsibility and friendship.
Owen Conway
liam-Critical Thinking-he males some very important decision when they are needed
Mrs G
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Funny, adventurous and educational. Might have to read this one whole-class.
Minli
It's a coincidence I began this on the night of the lunar eclipse, or maybe I just have space on the brain? Actually, not really. It's up to me to note books that get stars from major trade publications, and this book has a whopping SIX.

Cottrell Bryce owes a lot to Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I say this in the best way possible. One, they're both British. Two, they live for caricature and the funny. Three, their books are just whimsical enough, and serious enough, to hit
Amy
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This is a middle-grade book, about a boy who is a lot taller than he supposed to be since he's only 12 years old! Then he went on a space ride! That's all I can say about this book. This book is funny, I laughed out loud a few times. It's funny when people mistaken him as an adult, and he did some pretty crazy but cool stuff because of this. And of course, he did get himself into trouble because of this. I think Liam's character developed a lot, especially the second half of the book. He've grow ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kaethe by: Elizabeth Bird
All the best books about parenting are written for children.

There's a contest and a tour, so a strong homage to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Boyce makes his kid characters okay despite the horrible parenting they receive though, so that's nice.

The best thing, though, is that the kids manage to lark about and have fun, and also get stuff done. Liam makes a great dad, although it's clear he'll enjoy going back to being a kid. Whereas Charlie is deserving because despite his unspeakable pover
Julia
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This story is truly cosmic. Cottrell really has a great sense of humor and writes in a way that made me laugh out loud. The main character Liam is easy to relate to, even if you're not a 12 year old bearded boy. Even though it is not likely that a middle school boy can pose as an adult and get launched into space on a crazy mission, I was so absorbed in the story that I believed it could happen!
LauraW
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tween
This book was enjoyable enough, but didn't quite make it for me. Too much "Golly, gee, I have to act like an adult".
Kate Schwarz
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read (well...listened to) this book because my fourth grader's teacher is reading it to his class. He recommended I read it, and I am so very glad I did! What. A. Book! The plot is clever, it is incredibly well written, parts are laugh-out-loud funny, and the author does a great job of capturing that funny time when a child wants to be older but still needs the comfort and security of their parents.

The story: Liam has a growth spurt of epic proportions. This puts him a head or two above his cl
Fred
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, I didn't love it. It was entertaining and for the most part held my attention, but there were places where I got bored. It wasn't because of a slow pace, or Mr. Boyce's writing style--both were good--it was because I never really liked the protagonist and I had zero interest in his goal. This was partly due to the fact that I was unsure of his goal for most of the book. The story had a tendency to ramble directionless. My impression was that Mr. Boyce was trying to emulate Terry Prat ...more
Heidi
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took a pretty out-there premise and just had so much fun with it. Our narrator/protagonist, Liam, is delightful. It was super sweet to watch him gain an appreciation for and emulate his own father's "dadliness."

Also, kind of wild, but this book is quite a bit less out-there now than it was when it came out 10 years ago. I described a character to my husband and he was like, "So basically, that's Elon Musk." Yep.
Meredith
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Extra star for the narration. I looked forward to driving places so I could listen to this in the car. Great main character and original plot.
Maryn M.
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cosmic is a very adventurous story. A young 12-year-old boy who is 6 feet tall is mistaken for being an adult. He can trick anyone because everyone thinks he is a true grown up. He wins a competition for an opportunity to be one of the best dads in the world by taking their child to space, so he takes his friend with him as his child. 3 other dads won and took their sons with them, and the kids want a dad to come in space with them, so the dads compete for the spot. So much more happens in this ...more
Alex Peachman
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! As usual with Frank C-B it is full of comic set-pieces, that could be little short stories on their own. But it also has emotional depth, and the ending is brilliant. A joy to read, especially out loud.
PranoyF
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the Best books I have read or even the best, it is science fiction.
Eden
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book it was a little of a slow start but amazing in the middle. I was really addicted to this book and the plot. I recommend this book to who likes sci fi and anyone 9+because of the vocabulary might be advanced for some younger kids.
Peter
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I loved the storytelling and the humour, but most of all I loved the space scenes and the description of that experience of seeing the world from far far above. I think it nails what that must feel like emotionally.
Katie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recap:
Liam doesn't quite fit in. He is twelve-years-old, but he looks... well... like a dad. A lot of the time, this works to his advantage. On the first day of middle school, his principal thought he was a teacher and introduced him in the school assembly. Once he went to a car dealership, and the salesman almost let him take a Porche out for a test drive.

When Liam finds out he has won a contest to be the first on a brand new thrill ride at an amusement park, he's ecstatic! So what if he has t
Grace Gotelaere
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book. I loved the characters and the whole story behind him going to space.I really enjoyed this book and I hope everyone who reads it does too.
Kieran Fanning
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first discovered Frank Cottrell Boyce through his movie, Millions. I later went on to read the book which was very good but somehow, for me, failed to live up to the movie. Framed however blew me away. When I finish a book I like to rate it out of 5 and this book was definitely *****. The hilarious story is a family drama set in a small Welsh town, where nothing ever happens. Until the day the entire contents of the National Gallery are moved into the local slate mine for safe keeping while Lo ...more
Lamont Whiteside
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good reads book Review- cosmic
In my high school American literature class we were asked to do a book review at the end of the marking period on Good reads. So this quarter I was having a little trouble getting a good book to read, but my brother was reading a book called Cosmic. At first I did not think that this would be a good book for me because it was about science and I’m not that good in science. But after reading this book it showed me a lot about myself, it also showed me how much we ca
  • Crunch
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
  • Science Fair
  • Keeper
  • The Secret of Zoom
  • Liar, Liar: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Deception (Liar, Liar, #1)
  • A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)
  • Griff Carver, Hallway Patrol
  • The Adventures of Nanny Piggins
  • The Defense of Thaddeus A. Ledbetter
  • The Dunderheads
  • Lucky Breaks (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • Full of Beans
  • Operation Yes
Frank Cottrell Boyce is a British screenwriter, novelist and occasional actor.

In addition to original scripts, Cottrell Boyce has also adapted novels for the screen and written children's fiction, winning the 2004 Carnegie Medal for his debut, Millions, based on his own screenplay for the film of the same name.
His novel Framed was shortlisted for the Whitbread Book of the Year as well as the Carne
“There are more stars than there are people. Billions, Alan had said, and millions of them might have planets just as good as ours. Ever since I can remember, I’ve felt too big. But now I felt small. Too small. Too small to count. Every star is massive, but there are so many of them. How could anyone care about one star when there were so many spare? And what if stars were small? What if all the stars were just pixels? And earth was less than a pixel? What does that make us? And what does that make me? Not even dust. I felt tiny. For the first time in my life I felt too small.” 14 likes
“We walked on the moon. We made footprints somewhere no one else had ever made footprints, and unless someone comes and rubs them out, those footprints will be there forever because there’s no wind.” 12 likes