Start by marking “The Soul of Anna Klane” as Want to Read:
The Soul of Anna Klane

The Soul of Anna Klane

God bless sweet Anna's soul...

She's the golden darling of a wealthy genius. A child-prodigy. Yogi adept. And dying of brain tumor. She wants to heal herself, but the courts and the doctors cry "no" - and enter her brain with an incredible million-dollar probe that cures her body, while it splits her soul -- and sends it hurtling into a psychic hell...

Only Anatol Klane kn
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published September 12th 1978 by Ballantine Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul of Anna Klane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul of Anna Klane

Paul Roth
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A friend recommended this book to me, years ago, and it brought me the knowledge that we know very little about the brain, mind, and soul. This novel shakes apart the reader's assumptions of what it means to be yourself. In 2008, as the topic of cloning continued to infiltrate news reports instead of just science fiction novels, the story asked questions that seemed eerily topical. While examining the possibility and implications of the soul, the author allows us to see the viewpoints of the rel ...more
Katie
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Undoubtedly one of the best books I have ever read. I borrowed it from my boyfriend and went out and bought my own copy in hardback as soon as I'd finished. Thouroughly thought-provoking, I sat with my mouth open in awe most of my way through this book.
Debbie
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read this when I was about thirteen years old. It had a profound effect on me and I've read it several times over the years. The book poses some questions about the idea of a human soul, and that aspect of the story takes a science fiction story to a very moving place.
Romaney Berson
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps my favorite book of all time. I don't even know how many times I've read it. It is so thought provoking on so many levels. I am so glad I own a copy
Kathleen Dixon
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, philosophy
I picked this book up from somewhere-I-don't-know-where last year because the blurb fascinated me...:
Anna Klane entered hospital gifted, intelligent, precocious - the ten-year-old daughter of a genius. But on the operating table, as they probed her brain for the tumour, somehting in her died. When she came out she was different. She passed all the intelligence tests, but deep down something was missing... her soul.
Anatol Klane knew it immediately he saw his daughter. And he knew there was only o
Sharon
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book the first time when I was about 13-14 & for me it was profound. To investigate the theory of "Soul" at such an age was to change the way I thought of myself, the people around me & the world in general.
It is a book that changed the way I thought & made me a book lover for life! It is one of my favorites & I go back and read over & over...30yrs & counting!
Daniel Kaufman
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
2 chapters of this book were used in the great popular philosophical collection "The Mind's I". This book is full of big ideas. It's fascinating, mind-expanding stuff, and it's conveyed in a gripping thriller/courtroom drama. This is a book everyone in my family has read and we've loaned it to many people.
Davide
Mark
Jun 10, 2012
Greylorn Ell
Feb 15, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone curious about nature of human mind, purpose of existence.
Recommended to Greylorn by: no recollection
This story was originally titled, "Deus Ex Machina," which for those of us who've not studied Latin, means, "The God From the Machine." My editor explained why that title sucked, and suggested "The Soul of Anna Klane" as an alternative. This meant that I had to change the name of the story's victim to Anna, from Aleill.

He also insisted that I remove all Russian spies from the story, and terminate it at the end of Klane's trial. I agreed, but I lied. The spies are gone, but the crux of the story
Michael Fessler