Start by marking “I'd Kill for That” as Want to Read:
I'd Kill for That

I'd Kill for That

On the banks of the Truxton River lies Gryphon's Gate, a gated community built by Henry Drysdale where the rich and privileged live, work and play. Tempers flare when Henry's ex- decides to develop the adjoining land and environmentalists, developers, residents and the media clash. Then the violence turns ugly--a dead body is found on the golf course and Detective Diane Ro ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I'd Kill for That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Kill for That

Start your review of I'd Kill for That
Sheila
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
A serial book of mystery and murder that takes place in a gated community named after a mythical creature. 13 female authors wrote this book by passing their chapter on to the next in line. Great character development and suspense up to the last few pages. While Marcia Talley edited this book, two great authors made me pick this up to read: Lisa Gardner and Kathy Reichs. Each of them have written over 10 books and are very good writers with excellent continuing characters from book to book. I re ...more
Book Concierge
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is a cooperative / team effort among thirteen women mystery writers, each one writing a different chapter.

I thought the characters were over the top, and there was little character development. I thought there were far too many murders, almost as if each author needed to add a murder in her chapter. I thought the final critical scene where all is revealed was unbelievable, though I won’t outline my reasons here as that would be a major spoiler.

I would have abandoned it but it satisfied a c
David
Mar 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Easily the worst book I have read this year. This is a serial novel where a number of different authors contribute a chapter. Having been burnt before, I am not sure why I continue to read these collaborative novels. Obviously I get suckered in by the big-name contributing authors - in this case Reichs, Gardner & Fairstein (amongst others). Yet again I was let-down by a meandering and farcical plot-line, characters that lacked character and novel completely lacking in any sense of consistent dir ...more
Iza Brekilien
I bought this book because I'm running out of novels written by Lisa Gardner - I've read them all, so I'm picking pieces here and there !
This story is a round robin, one chapter = one different author. And there lies the problem for me, they were not equal and there were incoherences in facts and in characters.
I was hoping to take a look at how each writer works : there are fairly famous authors in there, some I haven't read but am willing to try. Each chapter is not signed, so it's tedious : yo
Raquel Bruce
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Fairstein is a psychopath, a liar a poor excuse for a human being. She put 5 innocent children in prison because they were black and she thought she was above the law. Their lives did not matter to her. She is a sorry excuse for a lawyer and a writer and no one should buy her stupid books. She came to fame on the broken lives of 5 black boys and their families! Shame on you Linda! #Centralpark5
Trish Goodgame
Multiple authors - Gayle Lynds, Rita Mae Brown, Marcia Talley, Lisa Gardner, Linda Fairstein, Kay Hooper, Kathy Reichs, Julie Smith, Heather Graham, Jennifer Crusie, Tina Wainscott, Anne Perry, Katherine Neville
Each author writes a chapter to continue on the story. Published as a fundraiser for breast cancer. I read this several years ago so I'm a bit vague on how the story panned out, but there are some good authors here in this lineup.
LyndaIn Oregon
This "serial novel", written round-robin style by a baker's dozen of authors, is basically a hot mess, with way too many characters, most of whom you wouldn't invite home for tea, despite their wealth and social status. There are several bodies and multiple suspects, but there's no heart and very little coherence to this tale.
Geanie
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The only reason why I’m giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is because i love a murder mystery. This book was awful. I really feel like these authors got together and were like, let’s have a competition on who can make the biggest piece of shit character! I get why they did it. So that everyone would be a suspect but oh my god.
B.
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a serial novel. Some chapters are great, some are super cheesy, and others are not so great, depending on who is writing for the given chapter. It's about what you'd expect for a novel of this type, and while it will never win any awards, it was a fun little read.
Kathy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept ... Have 13 authors each write a chapter of a mystery. Fun!
Barb Johnson
Mar 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nope
Jill Frederickson
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uneven due to the multiple author process, this felt scrambling at the end as they attempted to conclude the story.
Suzie Quint
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I don't know why I read these collaborative novels. Okay, that's not quite true. Usually it's because one of my favorite authors wrote a chapter. In this case, that would be Jennifer Crusie. And when I hit chapter ten, I could feel the tension that had been building inside me with every successive chapter suddenly ease. Crusie wrote with her usual clarity, painting pictures in my mind with the subtlety of her prose. I felt like I'd come home to an old friend. The rest of the book was not so good ...more
Mir
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A light mystery by many authors. I liked the idea of having the authors take turns writing passages, but in practice I found that it made it difficult for me to keep the many characters straight, as I didn't have the stylistic cues to help me. And since pretty much all the characters were wealthy, white, early-to-late middle aged people who were self-centered and had dirty secrets and lived in the same complex, I found them all too similar to begin with.
Colleen Lahey
Mar 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a collaborative novel by 13 authors. Individually I like the writings of these authors. Together, the book lacks cohesiveness and the characters lack depth. This should have bee a typical who done it but with so many characters and no way to decipher the clues, the reader is left floundering. I had a super hard time finishing and will not be reading any more collaborative books any time soon.
Chris
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an anthology edited by Marcia Talley.

Murders take place in a high class gated community on a marina in Maryland.

It never seemed like different voices writing this book, the story flowed and kept me guessing through to the end!

I think that the use of different authors gave this book more depth to each character and situation.
Francine
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
With so many authors writing a single chapter, I wasn't sure if this book would flow smoothly. It flowed very well. I was intrigued and everytime I thought someone was the murderer or could not be the murderer the authors would set doubts in my mind. I was hooked from the begining until the very end. I can say that I hope my final breaths do not come on the toilet.
Eleanor Thompson
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen writers collaborate by writing a chapter at a time. This leads to inconsistencies in character motivations as well as continuity in places. The book takes some completely unbelievable twists at chapter 12 and concludes with every stereotype imaginable including incest and an Indian burial ground. What started out somewhat promising (albeit gimmicky) ended in a complete mess.
Tanya
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I've been looking all over for this book and could not wait to read it! I was excited to see how 13 different authors would write one book together! It was AWESOME! I am looking forward to the future and any other books that may be like this!!!
Shan
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. Mostly because of the different writing styles of each chapter. It was a fun read. Each author wrote one chapter and then handed it off to the next to add to it.

It is a fun mystery.
Maurean
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book; written by 13 different authors, seven of whom I read with regularity, so not suprising that I enjoyed it. The *idea* is fabulous, and I will certainly look for other serial novels.....what a fun idea. and the storyline was entertaining as well.
Linda
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I thought all the authors did a good job and that the story flowed very well. At times it seemed like there were too many characters and I had trouble keeping them all straight. I really enjoyed the ending as I had no clue until then who the murderer was.
Jeannie
I found this book to be very interesting....each chapter was written by a different writer (all women.) It is my first "round - robin" book. At times it does not seem to read smoothly, but then it meters out.
Patrice
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-action, mystery
This book was surprisingly good. Just from reading it, I would not have known that each chapter was the work of a different author. It meshes together very well. The end seemed a little rushed though.
Deborah
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea of this book, 13 authors each writing a chapter of a mystery novel, but the story overall just wasn't very good.
Some chapters (authors) were better than others, and it was interesting to read the different styles compiled together like that.
Suzen
Sep 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2011
It was so obvious it was written by several writers. Some wrote well. Others I did not enjoy as well. They did not pull the story together at all. It was poorly edited and there was hardly any effort at pulling the story together. It was like a casserole. A bad one too.
Melissa
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
There are 12 different authers writing this book. Interesting concept but it seemed like every author was trying to outdo the others by adding new and exciting characters. It was just too much craziness in the plot. It was interesting idea but too over-the-top for me.
Susan Thompson
A serial novel written by 13 authors. I chose to read it because I loved reading Lisa Gardner's mysteries. At times I found this book interesting but other times found it disjointed and quirky. I also found it difficult to keep track of the oh so many characters.
Jill
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This was confusing.. I suppose it was meant to be, but it was just too hard to follow for me most of the time. If you sat down to read it in one setting then the characters might blend a little bit better, but I kept confusing them, which is NOT good in a mystery book!
Nancy
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Serial story - each chapter written by a different author, building on previous chapters. Crazy story, fun to see how different authors change the characters in each chapter.
Play Book Tag: I'd Kill For That / Marcia Talley, Gayle Lynds, et al - 1* 1 7 Oct 31, 2019 04:59PM

• The Other Daughter
  • Guilty Wives
  • The Theory of Death (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #23)
  • Bone Box (Peter Decker/Rina Lazaru, #24)
  • Without Mercy (Body Farm, #10)
  • Murder 101 (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #22)
  • Frantic (Detective Ella Marconi, #1)
  • Dreaming of Zhou Gong (The Timekeepers #1)
  • Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)
  • Sphere: Blackwood Security Book 9.5
  • Serpenti (The Royals #2)
  • Tails From A Dog Rescue
  • Black Heart (Detective Dan Riley, #1)
  • Obsession
  • The Marriage Trap
  • One Little Secret
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • The Perfect Wife
Marcia Talley is the Agatha and Anthony award-winning author of DEAD MAN DANCING and six previous mysteries featuring amateur sleuth, Hannah Ives who, like the author, is a breast cancer survivor.

Marcia is author/editor of two star-studded collaborative novels, NAKED CAME THE PHOENIX and ID KILL FOR THAT set in a fashionable health spa and an exclusive gated community, respectively. Her short sto