Start by marking “Rabbit's Gift” as Want to Read:
Rabbit's Gift

George Shannon

Rabbit's Gift

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Snow is coming, coming soon, so Rabbit needs to find food fast. Just in time, a turnip turns up, and a second one, too. Who in the woods wouldn't want to tuck away an extra turnip for the long winter? Not Rabbit. He chooses a different path--and starts a wave of generosity that spreads among all his forest friends.
Admired picture-book team George Shannon and Laura Dro
Published November 1st 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit's Gift

Jacquelyn
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Folktale Reading level: Ages 3-7
Re-gifting, frowned upon during birthdays and holiday times, finds respect in this Chinese folktale. Rabbit is cold and hungry and knows that he must find food for the coming winter. When he finds a great treasure, an extra turnip, he graciously decides to share it with a friend. Donkey isn’t home, so Rabbit leaves the gift for him to find upon her return. Donkey is surprised by this generous donation, but feels that there might be someone who needs it more
Nke
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Chinese folktale where Rabbit is cold and hungry and knows that he must find food for the coming winter. When he finds a great treasure, an extra turnip, he graciously decides to share it with a friend. Donkey isn’t home, so Rabbit leaves the gift for him to find upon her return. Donkey is surprised by this generous donation, but feels that there might be someone who needs it more than she. Again, it is left outside the door for Goat is away. Goat fears that the turnip may have been lo ...more
Hyeryeong
The rabbit is getting ready for winter and finds two turnips but she was so considerate and gave one of her turnips to another animal friend. Then the other animal who was also warm hearted like her and gave the turnip to the other friend. Finally the turnip ends up at the rabbit’s house and they share the turnip altogether. This is a cute story but the story is too obvious to appeal to students so that teacher may be hard to motivate students, and this tale from China but I could not find any p ...more
Melissa Newton
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Rabbit’s Gift: A Fable From China

Author: George Shannon

Illustrator: Victor Juhasz

Genre: Non-European Folktale

Theme(s): Kindness, Paying it Forward, Friendship

Opening line/sentence:
Rabbit twitched his nose in the cold, damp air.

Brief Book Summary:
When Rabbit senses that snow is coming, he quickly finds food that he will be able to eat before going home. He finds two turnips, and decides to leave one on Donkey’s doorstep after realizing that Donkey may not have been able to find a meal
Michelle
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice art and has a really nice message
Philip Carlson
This short fable involves a group of woodland animals and their generosity of putting others first as they attempt to find food before the falling snow accumulates. The story begins with Rabbit finding two turnips prior to the snowfall. While Rabbit eats the first turnip, he can't help but think about Donkey on the nearby hill, and wonders if she's found enough to eat. Deciding to share his last turnip with Donkey, he rolls the turnip to her door, but she's not home. Rabbit leaves the turnip an ...more
Maggie
CIP: " Woodland animals, each thinking of his neighbor, share a turnip left on their doorstep."

Rabbit's act of kindness is reciprocated by his woodland neighbors, and eventually comes full circle. A beautiful retelling of an ancient Chinese tale based on caring and compassion, and the gorgeous illustrations are a delight all their own. Appropriate for ages 3 up to 8, Rabbit's Gift would be useful in a project on compassion and sharing.

SLJ: Favorable review: "A terrific seasonal storyhour selecti
Fjóla
As I opened the book I recognized the style of Laura Dronzek, a style we really liked in Birds. She's also drawn rabbits for Kevin Henkes (see Oh!). This is a very sweet tale of sharing. I like how the generosity replicates and spreads like a wave. While I didn't like it as immensely as Birds, in which the colors of the acrylics are just so satisfying, I really liked the message and it's definitely a book to recommend.
Angela Hutchinson
This is a book that could be used to teach children about sharing and manners. I loved the story about the Rabbit that did not want to feel greedy so he sets out to leave a turnip for his friend Donkey. Donkey had found a potato and felt that was plenty for him to eat, so he took the turnip to the goat. Goat had found some cabbage which was enough for him, so he took the turnip to Deer's house. Deer had found a carrot and that was plenty for him. Deer takes the turnip back to Rabbit. When rabbit ...more
Veronica
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

I am definitely putting this book on my list. Not only that, but I absolutely loved it! The illustrations were beautiful, the story was different than most fable/parables/etc. Truly an originally creation.

It follows one kind deed that gives way to another and another. It could be interpreted as representing an ideal community/society(bit of a stretch, but...), but I think the main poi
Lenise Jones
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs642
Shannon, G.& Dronzek, L.(2007). Rabbit's Gift Florida: Harcourt Books.
Picture Book Soak
Story about a Rabbit who discovers the meaning of paying it forward. Excellent book to teach K-3 about the importance of being a good citizen. While this picture book utilized words, the design of the illustrations make it possible for students to understand the story without reading the words. I loved this book and am thinking of buying it to save for my classroom when I become a teacher!
Traci Bold
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and kind book showcasing kindness to others and giving unselfishly. I love how this book first and foremost goes into thinking of others on the first page and goes from there.

Pay it forward on and on and it is heartwarming.

Written by George Shannon, illustrated by Laura Dronzek and published by Harcourt Inc.

#PB #giving #PB #animals
Shelby Holloway
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
In this book the rabbit is preparing for the winter and searching for food. The rabbit finds one more nut that it needs so it displays kindness by sharing what he didn't need with other animals. In the end every animal shows kindness by passing the extra food to one another and it ends up back with rabbit.
Jenny
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
I've read a version of this story before. I enjoyed this version as I felt it didn't use too many words to tell the simple story of characters thinking of others before themselves. It is sweet and fun for a little one to fill in the words that are repeated in the expected spots because everyone leaves the turnip on a neighbor's doorstep.
The Reading Countess
This is a new book to the school library read to my youngest son's class for parent reading. The story of friendship and "pay it forward" is seen in this sweet story about animal friendship. Passing along a precious turnip, the animals discover that they are all one big family. The colorful yellow bird on most pages makes this a delightful book to share.
Dolly
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Lovely Chinese fable about kindness and giving to others who are in need. The acrylic paint illustrations are colorful and the characters are cartoonish.

We liked seeing the Chinese characters and appreciated the translation at the end of the story. It's a short and simple tale and we enjoyed reading it together.

Adriana Guillen
This cute little fable was enjoyable to me because it teaches anyone about sharing and how to grow as a caring and considerable person. If you care for others, others will care for you. I enjoyed reading it to my son, it is a great story to read to kids.
Nichole
This is my favorite children's book i have read this semester. I would use this book in younger elementary school students to teach about sharing and caring about your neighbor. This book is a great way to teach good citizenship and caring to your young students.
Amy
Another book for kids that adults can appreciate. The message is about giving & sharing. The story takes place on a wintry night when animals are looking for food. Very pretty illustrations make this a cozy bedtime book for a winter night.
Kirsten Murphy
Re-read 2015 as a kickoff to a challenge with kinder - 4th to spent the month of January practicing generosity by giving gifts from the heart. The simple ways the students have planned to show kindness, friendship, and concern for others are amazing!
Anne Levy
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
The rabbit in this story starts out with an extra turnip, and winds up with a lot of friends.

read the rest
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picture book is creative because it teaches us to share (when we have more than enough for ourselves) in a gentle, happy, and fascinating way. What's great in the end notes is that we learn this is a centuries old story that has crossed cultures. We also learn some Chinese in the book!
Meredith
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folk-tales
Super cute story, even with turnips being the vegetable of choice. A great story about sharing with really nice pictures.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was a simple but effective story illustrating how kindness comes back to the one who gives it.
Mary
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute pictures.
Ashley Salisbury
Adorable!
Mia
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the Rabbit is cute
Bree
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
book about giving that isn't preachy
illustrations are beautiful
Kirsten
This is a very simple fable about sharing. Comfortingly repetitive text, lovely, simple illustrations. A nice read-aloud, but not spectacular in terms of audience engagement.
Karen
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is sweet, and competently told, but it is the utterly charming illustrations that steal the show... er... book.
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Mouse's First Snow
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • Sweet Dreams Lullaby
  • Duck Soup
  • I Am the Dog
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Tico and the Golden Wings