Start by marking “The Dance” as Want to Read:
The Dance

The Dance

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  603 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In this poignant evocation of the father-daughter relationship, the author of the bestselling The Christmas Candle tells of a man who watches his daughter dance through every stage of her life. Full color.
Published October 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance

Nathan Burgoine
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, are you feeling weepy? Are you feeling like your day could only be improved by blubbering, full on ugly-cry-mode complete with nose bubbles and choking noises? Need to be blotchy and incoherent with sheer sadness?

Have I got the book for you.

Now, I'm not a sucker for family stories. At all. In fact, they generally leave me cold (and a bit frustrated for those of us who didn't have anything of the sort), but this story doesn't project an "all dads are like this" nor an "all daughters are like
Katie Tatton
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Inside my hope chest, tucked way in the back next to my wedding album and my children's baby books is perhaps the most beautiful children's book ever written (certainly the illustrations are breath-taking!). I keep it in my hope chest because I cannot read The Dance without crying, and I don't want to lose that. Written by Richard Paul Evans and illustrated by Jonathan Linton, The Dance is the story of a father who watches his daughter dance her way through the stages of life, and while she cann ...more
Erica Anderson
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I cry almost every time I read this book to my children. My step-father tried to read it to my child and about halfway through I came into the room and with tears in his eyes, he handed me the book, too choked up to finish reading. Very touching book.
Janice
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dancing marks the rites of passage in a daughter's life and that of the father who loves her. From her first carefree twirling in the flower-dotted yard, to her first solo performance in The Nutcracker, to the waltz of her wedding night, her father is there watching, silent and unobserved. And he smiles.

This tender story of the bond between a father and a daughter, told straight from the heart by the best-selling author of The Christmas Candle and illustrated with exquisite, lush paintings, evo
Luann
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Luann by: Leslie G.
Shelves: 2011, picture-book
This is a tear-jerker! It may be one of those picture books that mostly adults love, but I don't think most children would dislike it. They just wouldn't quite understand the depth of the story. I could see this as a wonderful book for fathers to read to their daughters since it portrays such a loving father-daughter relationship. I particularly loved the illustrations. My favorite is the first picture with the little girl wearing a flowered hat and beads and dressing up her cat in a pink frilly ...more
Sheri
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
A beautiful book with wonderful illustrations. It was such a sweet story and my voice broke several times while trying to read it to McKenna. I'm thinking that Richard Paul Evans' children's books are written more for adults than for kids. McKenna liked the book mostly because it talked about a little girl dancing, but I think the main significance of the story was lost on her. But in my own opinion, five minutes well spent.
Jannah
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The sentimental side of me that loves the song "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle and the book "I Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch really liked this book.
The side of me that lost its innocence when people commented on how creepy and stalkerish ILYF was, was equally creeped out by this book.
I understand the idea of a hands-off but supervising father seeing his daughter grow up, but the way each section ends with a comment on her dad just passively watching her felt weird. :\
Roseanne Wilkins
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful picture book, especially when you know the front cover is a painting of a girl who died not long after the picture the painting was based on was taken. It's a book about the ties between a father and his daughter. My husband rarely cries, but he couldn't stop the tears when he read this book.
Judith
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great pictures as it is a children's book. I didn't have much contact with my father growing up so at first this was hard to accept. Then I realized I'm not guilty he was. It's amazing how personal we take books and that's the purpose of Richard Paul Evan's books to begin with. In the end I loved the book.
Tiff
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Richard told this story one night as we traveled in the dark on the bus in Italy. It was so wonderful to hear the cadence of his voice, with his interpretation of what he intended when he wrote this story, along with the the background explanation of why he wrote the book. Very emotional experience.
Mel
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all dancers big or small.
I personally found this book to be quite moving, and quite honestly have to admit that I choked up reading the story. At first I was not quite sure how my lil one would feel about it for I thought that it was "too old" of a story line, but she was soooo in tuned to this very touching story that she told me over and over how much she loved it.

Ashleigh
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
A child's book...wasn't prepared for that. Pretty predictable and a little cheesy. The best part about the book was the explanation of the picture on the cover.

Shenn bought it for me for Christmas thinking it was a regular book. Oh well I guess I'll keep it.
Olivia
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This book presents a consistent and loving father who's joy is to watch his daughter dance. It has gorgeous pictures and teaches of life after death and hints at the eternal nature of families. The paintings are gorgeous. I would definitely read this to a daughter who loved to dance.
Lisa
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dads & daughters
A must read for any dad and his daddy's girl.
Alli
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love to read this book to my daughter who love to dance. She doesnt' yet understand why I cry every time.
Anna Motteler
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure my mom gave me this book when I was in fourth or fifth grade, I think, and it was a really beautiful book.
Linsey
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is very tender and has a great story behind it. Another great daddy daughter book. I actually read it just before my own dad passed away and now it is a great treasure to me.
Naomi Campbell
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought I was getting a regular one of this books, like a novel. This was a children's book, so I just read it as a bedtime story to the kids. It was heartfelt, sad, but happy.
Ashlyn
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I can not read this book without crying!
Danni
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
amazing
Angela
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I didn't personally read this, Richard Paul Evans shared the story live at an event I attended. I really want to get a copy of this book. It was so great, he was so great.
Lori
Dec 29, 2013 added it
A favorite of my daughter's and mine!
Juanita
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I bought two of these and gave them to my girls for Christmas after their father passed away. They loved it.
Jeanene
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Kasey
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very heart warming. I loved reading this book with my daughter.
Kaileen
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a book my Dad and I share. We both love it. I love all the pictures. They are all so beautiful.
Tani
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book will forever remind me of my mom and my grandfather.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

Sweet little story.
Sarezh Zyad
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
brilliant heart touching story
tender story of the bond between a father and a daughter .
and very nice Book print and painting :)
Danay Riggs
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is just a little kids book that by dad bought me years and years ago. But i love it because it reminds me of me so I read it a lot! its a cute book =]
  • Daughter of a King
  • Rough Weather Ahead for Walter the Farting Dog
  • Annika's Secret Wish
  • Big Anthony and the Magic Ring
  • Draw Me a Star
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here