Start by marking “The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena

The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena is an exploration of the zone that lies between the known and the unknown, a shadowy territory that''s home to the lake monsters, combusting people, teleporting frogs and man-eating trees. Taking a Fortean path between dogmatic scientists and credulous believers, the authors trace tales of wonder back to their sources, drawing from ...more
Published September 3rd 2007 by Rough Guides

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to Unexplained Phenomena

Siobhan
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
If the truth is to be told, this book doesn’t fall into my usual reads.

The book was handed to me by a relative as a general interest kind of read, as something she thought I might enjoy. It was interesting, I will say that, but I cannot see myself going out of my way to read it again and again or to read that many more books like it.

It was simply something different to pick up and read.
Britt
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this book back when I was 22. There's a lot of unique stories and good info on pure weirdness. It was an enjoyable read and led me to research some of this stuff I had read over in the book itself.
Isidore
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I found this book both useful and enjoyable, I want to make clear that it is not a detached, dispassionate, agenda-free survey of the unexplained––caveat lector!

It should really be entitled "The Rough Guide to Forteana". Co-editor Rickard (whose voice seems dominant) selects and analyzes subject matter from the perspective of a doctrinaire Fortean (that such a thing should exist seems paradoxical, but BR appears to have managed it). In other words, material which can be fitted in with
Ian
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a magnificent collection of weird shit. From A (for Abominable Snowman) to Z (for Ernst Zundel and his chronicles of secret Nazi Polar Expeditions) this is an amazing compendium of the weird, wacky and wonderful. Phantom ships, Flying Saucers, rains of fish, frogs found entombed in stone (alive) and most meticulously referenced. Anyone with an interest in Fortean phenomena needs to have this book. The perfect addition to any toilet bookshelf.

This is a book that deserves to be left open and
Lisa
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs
This book has short stories of unexplained phenomena (hence the title). For instance, is Big Foot real or simply imagined? When you read this book, you'll find helpful insight into this question and more. I have to admit, I didn't read the whole book but the few stories I did read were quite informative and I would truly recommend this book to others. I hate saying this, but it's a nice "bathroom read". And you know what happens after a book crosses that threshold . . . don't share it with your ...more
Suzanne
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't read everything in this book, but most of what I was interested in. While the book seemed biased in certain areas to explaining things in a specific way rather than leaving it open to interpretation, it was still a great book and I learned a lot of little, unusual things that I'd never heard of before. Certainly a great starting point for anyone interested in the unexplained mysteries of the world.
Steve Wiggins
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to get you thinking. My only disappointment was that some of the references were less than critical sources. Still, overall this was eye-opening and enjoyable. See a more complete review at: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Lisa
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely love this book. It's loaded with many stories sure to peak anyone's interest. From aliens, crop circles and UFO's to fairies, hauntings, spontaneous combustion, and time travel. A must read.
Arthur
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's actually a 4.5, I've never found such an easy to read guide of thing Fortean and beyond that's so comprehensive. It's not too rough of a guide and it's a very good one to the area of unexplained phenomena, one that I find perplexing.
Regina
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
WINGED KITTIES ARE ZIII BEST!
Heather
Nov 09, 2007
Misty
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-read to anybody who loves paranormal stuff :)
Peter V
Jun 22, 2013
Nathan Eden
Apr 02, 2018
Andrew Hague
rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2017
Jp88
Sep 22, 2011
Ricardo
Mar 29, 2010
John Frederick Carden Michell was an English writer whose key sources of inspiration were Plato and Charles Fort. His 1969 volume The View Over Atlantis has been described as probably the most influential book in the history of the hippy/underground movement and one that had far-reaching effects on the study of strange phenomena: it "put ley lines on the map, re-enchanted the British landscape and ...more
More about John Michell