Start by marking “A Perfect Day” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Day

A Perfect Day

Robert Harlan has three loves: his wife, his daughter, and his writing. But when his thirst for success causes him to lose focus on his happy family life, ambition begins to consume him. When a stranger appears with a mysterious message about the brevity of his future, he discovers the truth about himself: who he has become, what he has lost, and what it will take to find ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Signet (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Day

Paula  Phillips
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever achieved something that you wanted so badly and then once you got it, it only ended up ruining your life instead of making it happier ? For Robert Harlan, he always dreamed of becoming a writer and eventually four years later when he lost his job, he finally finished his book A Perfect Day , a book based on the last few months his wife Allyson and her father Carson had together before he passed away with Cancer. Robert sends out the book to twenty-five publishing agents and one fin ...more
Purple Osprey
Oct 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Primitive. Even for christian literature this is primitive.

Basically a guy gets rich and his wife becomes whiny biatch because of that, although for the first half of the book it was repeatedly established that they had perfect marriage.
Anyway.. now he's rich and goes to business trip and she's sooooo unhappy, but - you guessed wright- it's all his fault. Nowhere in the book does it say what he did to offend her so badly (other than go to work), but everything is his fault (because majority of t
Christine
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tammy, Emily, Merry, Rachel
I've read all of Richard Paul Evans books and this is by far my favorite. It's not as sappy romantic as his others and it made me cry. It's about a guy who loses his job then finally fulfills his dream of writing a novel. He quickly finds huge success then realizes how hard it is to balance family and his touring. He meets a man who knows intimate details of his life and tells him he's gonna die on New years and it makes him start to re-prioritize his life. It's a tear-jerker so be warned!
Kevin Symmons
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Somehow my written review got deleted which is a good thing for Mr. Evans should anyone take my reviews to heart. Those who have read my reviews of JPEs work know I love most of what he writes. I thought "The Last Promise" and "The Carousel" were top notch. While I found much of this novel interesting (since like the hero I am an author with a first novel just released) I felt two things that kept me from embracing this work. First, I thought the hero was far from sympathetic. Despite his hard w ...more
Erin
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of clean romances
Recommended to Erin by: picked it for a reading challenge
I know a lot of people who would probably really like this book, but it actually left me not quite satisfied. I really liked the premise of the book; it was just the execution, and the ultimate resolution, that bugged me. I don't want to say too much so that I don't give the end away to those who might read it, but I will say that I think the author copped out of a potentially really strong ending. I do applaud him for trying to do it creatively, but I just didn't buy it.
As for the rest of the b
Michelle Polk
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book by Richard Paul Evans! It is a book about learning what your priorities are and should be. A man has his dreams come true with a best selling book about his wife's life. What looks like the best thing that could ever happen to him isn't all that great. He loses his priorities in the middle of his new exciting life. It goes down hill from there for him but the sweet twist that brings this book to an end is great! I recommend it for everyone.
Kristin
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite "Richard Paul Evans" book that I have read. I think his style has evolved over the years and his storytelling is drawing me in. (I didn't care for and quit reading his earlier works right after Christmas Box House). The lesson and unexpected twist at the end of this book has stayed with me over the years reminding me what is really important to me in my life.
Mj
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book. Flows well. Easy to read. Good message. Didn't rate as high as Richard Paul Evans' other books because there were aspects of the story that were a bit of a stretch and there really wasn't much depth to the book. Nonetheless it is worth reading and would be a good pick me up read for a leisurely weekend.
Bonnie
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book that I have read by this author... I cried during both... and really enjoyed both! I tend to get A.D.D. when I am reading but this book really made me feel like I was a part of the story!
Kristin
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm kind of embarassed giving 5 stars to a Richard Paul Evans book, but I really, really enjoyed this one! As it is a RPE, it's a very easy read, but I was intrigued by the story and it had a great moral to it, too.
Joy
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful!
Gayle
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A different type of story from his normal. Great story line and love story.
Gregandemy
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
His books are so enjoyable. Just quick, nice reads with good messages. Perfect for vacation or around the pool.
Jill
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good message
Recommended to Jill by: me
This book made me cry. We get so caught up in life/success that we forget what really matters. Good message in this book.
Kaitlin
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this during Christmas break and it was a perfect book to read for my weeks off of school. I cried!!! It was a perfect book for a perfect day!! :)
Afton
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite book by Evans. I love all his books, especially when I need a good cry. I walked away from this one with more love in my heart for the awesome guy I married.
Susan
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Xmas happiness

Sweet Christmas read. It was a sweet read for the season. Book so much better than movie. Author has a nice voice and style.
Mike Coe
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great story about the challenges of unexpected success and fame. Even in the good times we must keep balance in our lives. Learn from the past, embrace the present, hope in the future.
Rachel
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Book with an important message about putting family first. Quick and easy read.
LyndaIn Oregon
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you like sappy, predictable stories with poorly developed characters and a by-the-numbers plotline, this might be the book for you.

In it, a wannabe novelist hits the big time after appropriating his wife's story of her last days with her dying father, and their supposedly perfect union begins to dissolve under the pressures of celebrity. He goes off on a four-week book tour (which probably ought to be banned by the Geneva Convention) and finds he enjoys the perks while she stays home in Utah
Laura Beasley
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book. Richard Paul Evans writes books that make you think. Robert loses his job and his wife encourages to write to finish the book he is writing. The story is based on the death of his wife Allyson's father. He finishes the book while working with his brother putting in irrigation systems and sends the book off to publishers. After many rejections he gets a call. They want to publish his book. He has to go on tour to promote his book and this begins the problems in his marriage. Su ...more
Diana
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
When he is laid off from work, Robert Harlan decides to finish the book that he has been writing for years. He sends the manuscript to many publishers and finally his book is published. He goes on a tour to push the book.
The first time he has a book signing, the only person who even talks to him is someone who needs to know where the bathroom is. Then the book gains big popularity and Robert's personal life goes down hill.
Robert meets a stranger who knows all about him and tells him he has
Lisa Weber
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
In "The Walk", I felt as though Evans sometimes skirted the edges of sappiness, but never fell into that hole. In "A Perfect Day", he fell in. The premise was good, if obvious. The time Allyson spent with her dad was about as sticky as you could get. I found it irritating and unrealistic. Later, after his success, Robert changes in ways that are unprecedented and in my opinion, not true to character, therefore not very believable. His wife's reactions, although often unreasonable, are not questi ...more
Rachel Graft
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Richard Paul Evans is a great author. The story line is very unique. I wonder if there is a touch of what happen to him in real life. He gives such a wonderful perspective of a new author. I have only been to 1 book signing in real life & it was a family member. Her book was good too. Don't let fame change you & the people that believe & live you. This applies to most things in life, jib's, career, & dreams. I would recommend this book to most anyone but especially to a new buddi ...more
Carol Ann
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tina
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed Richard Paul Evans books and this one did not disappoint. Easy read and enjoyable. Makes one think about what and who you are in the now and what our possible purpose is in the future. Anytime a book is one that makes you think more is a bonus to me. Also loved that it showed that you can pick up an interest or a goal and it is possible at different times of your life. Though getting the fame may not be the best thing in life.
Abby Meyer
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book very much. It had some redeeming parts to it. This book was about Robert Harlan has three loves: his wife, his daughter, and his writing. But when his thirst for success causes him to lose focus on his happy family life, ambition begins to consume him. When a stranger appears with a mysterious message about the brevity of his future, he discovers the truth about himself: who he has become, what he has lost, and what it will take to find love again.
Nathan Feld
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. Evans clearly has the basics mastered and can stir emotion like a meal in a pot. The plot is simply enthralling and still surprised me after the second time of reading the book. His grasp of human emotion is expertly and he can evoke realistic anger not only in the characters but in the reader. A simple yet evocative novel that is sure to get readers reading it repeatedly.
Teri Rainey
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Remember the adage of be careful what you wish for because you just might get it? Well this is it ! Rags to riches story about a man who loses his job, follows his passion to become an author and things go downhill from there. The moral of the story family is so important...more and more Richard Paul Evans is becoming one of my favorite authors.
Kathleen Payne
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it is 107 degrees outside and I'm caught up on all of my chores, then it is the perfect day to read a book in a day. I never have time to do that, but this book was the perfect one. It was a pleasant, somewhat sappy, romantic read that I enjoyed.
Indeed a top 3 22 Dec 06, 2012 03:50AM
  • The Cross Gardener
  • Where the River Ends
  • Daisy (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • So Much of Life Ahead (Hearts of the Children, #5)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Snow Angel
  • Letters for Emily
  • Dancing in the Light (Keane-Morrison Family Saga, #3)
  • The Lighthouse Keeper
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Forgotten Notes
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
“You want to know what hell is? What brimstone and burining really is?"
Hell is the perfect recollection of every evil thing you've done in your life, every thoughtless word, every cruel, evil thought or action. It's knowing that you could have helped your brother and didn't. Hell is clarity, Bob. It's nothing more than clarity." He leaned forward as if to confide in me, his gaze intense. "Do you want to know what heaven is?"
I was locked into his gaze. "Yes."
His voice was barely above a whisper, "It's the same thing.”
45 likes
“. . .and every native has a story of winter – stories that usually begin, You call this a storm? And grow in the telling like battle tales shared by graying war veterans. It’s a peculiar character flaw to those of us from cold climates that we feel superior to those who have the sense to live elsewhere.” 10 likes