Start by marking “The First Gift of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The First Gift of Christmas

The First Gift of Christmas

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  402 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Through "The Christmas Box, " our understanding of family and the quick passage of time was enlightened. Millions of hearts were touched by its warmth and wisdom.Now, in "The First Gift of Christmas, " Richard Paul Evans takes us to the next level of understanding, inviting us to search our souls for the true meaning of Christmas.

In four seasons of Christmas--The Advent, T
Published September 1st 1996 by Gibbs Smith Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The First Gift of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Gift of Christmas

Wendy
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a Christmas gift from a very good friend and I will cherish this book forever. I love Richard Paul Evans but this book means so much more to be because of the person who gave it to me. What a beautiful gift to give.
Clareece
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A quick read and a GREAT Christmas story.
Tess
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's just a cute little book to read during the Christmastime!
Sharon
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very short sweet book about the Christmas we should all be focused on and the traditions we should be passing down to our kids. Nothing complex or complicated just loving and sharing and caring and remembering the first Christmas and the wonderful first Christmas gift to all mankind !!
L Sue
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, Loved, Loved this one!!! Especially the Fourth Season of Christmas - The Night... made me hope for my girls, that I've instilled these feelings in them as they journey forward in their lives!!
Danita
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Simple book but does remind us of why Christmas is important.
Carolyn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written as all his are, and a valuable reminder for this time of year - or any. Thanks, Pat.
Jeni
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I feel a little guilty for counting this toward my 2012 challenge of reading 75 books - it's very small and really is only a couple of poems. But it's got pages and a cover (and I'm closing in on the end of the year) so I'm counting it. A nice gift book, perhaps, for someone who is not really a reader. But I have to wonder about a publisher putting the expense of publishing this with so little between the covers. Obviously, the name recognition of the author is what it has going for it. I read i ...more
Greg
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
Very different from his other books, and not especially to my liking. Overall, it seemed forced to me, as if he were trying too hard to be profound. The poetry in the first section was immature and unpolished...he is not a poet, and shouldn't try to be one until he has had more practice. Better yet, stick would be to the prose his readers love so much. The best part of the book was in the preface where he described his motivation for writing it. That little piece prompted more thought and reflec ...more
Dad
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a short but good reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. I feel that the love of Christ is the true meaning of Christmas. Hopefully, our other celebrating brings that out in our children. One thought intrigued me: "That the only promise of childhood is that it will end. And I wonder what I have given (them) to take its place. And is it enough?"
I wonder with my children in their 30's, did I give them enough? Now we must work with the grandchildren to do what we can.
I am glad I read
R
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
..."The wanting is often better than that hoped for,
The journey better than the destination...."
Just this quote from the "Third Season of Christmas", really is so true. If one knows me, one knows I ADORE CHRISTMAS. I find it a Holy Day of great complexity and at least one dessert I had to try forcing down my family (yep, did a fruit cake".
This tiny book, if four poems that I can totally understand (though, from different point of view for Season Four).
If you hate it, ya didn't waste many minu
Elsha
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not that impressed with this little book of basically two poems and a 'thought'. I think I might have had warm fuzzies while I read it but it went by so quick I don't remember. Don't bother checking this out from the library or buying it either. Take two minutes to pull it from the shelve and read it where you are. It took me longer to read the author's forward then it did to read the rest of the book.
Annalisa
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a book comprised of 4 poems covering 4 Seasons of Christmas: The Advent "What Christmas Asks", The Eve "The First Gift of Christmas", The Morning "Christmas Morning", The Night "Is It Enough?". It is a nice short book that gets you in the spirit of Christmas and encourages you to remember what it is really all about.
Jackie
The First Gift of Christmas is a thought-provoking sentiment that surely all parents feel. Do we impart to our children the true meaning of the holiday packaged within the gifts, decorations, and trimmings of the Christmas season? A lovely little book to reflect upon one of life's greatest treasures...the gift of giving from the heart.
Brisbride13
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Being as it was written by Evans, I didn't look to see what it was when I put it on hold at my library. I wasn't really a fan! this book is under 60 pages and starts with a forward and is then divided into four seasons of Christmas; which is really just four poems about advent, Christmas eve, Christmas day, and Christmas night.
Karen Hartshorn
Just a simple little book of Christmas poems.not the best but not the worst either--there are only 4 of them. But good illustrations will always, for me anyway, bring up the rating. I love those vintage illustrations...
Stephanie
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Four short poems and an introduction. The poems are thoughtful and sweet but not especially inspiring or well written. After the huge success of "The Christmas Box" I'm guessing the publisher was pressuring him for another Christmas release to put his name on.
Denise
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Short and sweet about Christmas and the meaning. Thoughts of what was and what is at Christmas.
Mariana
Dec 04, 2009 rated it liked it
interesting look at Christmas as the day unfolds broken up into four seasons. It was a quick read, in poem style.
Theresa
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was sweet and simple but there was something about it that I just couldn't connect with.
Mandi Murphy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Poetry...not really my thing.
Keith
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Christmas Eve
Glenette
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
A quick little Christmas read that contained poems and the author's thoughts about Christmas.
Sally
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
The best part of the book was the illustrations. They were ones I remember from childhood with fond memories. Too bad the poem wasn't more nostalgic.
Cindy
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very quick book to read but it does bring us back to the true meaning of Christmas.
Victoria
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
short thoughts on meaning of Christmas
Susie
Jul 25, 2010 added it
Non-fiction
Amy Kitchell-Leighty
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
A simple, inspirational book.
Judy Adams
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Richard Paul Evans has a way of writing a book, whether it's a novel or a small book like this. He makes you think about Christmas in a different way, is the way we celebrate enough.
Stacy
This is a collection of the authors thoughts on the true meaning of Christmas. It is full of poems and beautiful illustrations.
  • The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza (Bookshelf)
  • A Very Marley Christmas
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Maybe This Christmas (2-in-1)
  • Carl's Christmas
  • Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • On This Holy Night: The Heart of Christmas
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In Love & Trouble: Stories of Black Women
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel