Start by marking “Who Is Coming to Our House?” as Want to Read:
Who Is Coming to Our House?

Who Is Coming to Our House?

A modern Christmas classic about how the animals prepare a cozy welcome for the baby Jesus.

"Who is coming to our house?

Someone, someone," says Mouse.

As Pig makes room, Lamb cleans up, Goose stacks the hay, and Duck lines the crib with eiderdown, Mary and Joseph are on their way by donkey. All the animals are eager to welcome the baby Jesus to their home.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 24th 2001 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Who Is Coming to Our House?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is Coming to Our House?

Start your review of Who Is Coming to Our House?
Annette
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians everywhere
I like this one because it's the nativity with a different twist. It's told from the barn animal's points of view. They all work hard to prepare the barn for their special guests. It's surprising what one can learn from a simple Children's book, I think the subtle message here is: "What are WE doing to prepare for the Savior"?
Samantha
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, read-w-d
All the animals are making room for Baby Jesus to come to their house. Good to read to 18 months- to 4 yr olds.
Oceana
Jan 26, 2020 added it
Shelves: childhood-reads
I remember reading this with my mom as a child. Such good memories.
Stina
Book #77 for 2017
GenreLand: December - Fantasy
Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge: A book set more than 5,000 miles from Fort Collins
PopSugar (max. 3):
- A book with a cat on the cover
- A book from a nonhuman perspective
- A book with pictures
Better World Books:
- A book under 200 pages
- A book of poetry
My Personal Reading Challenge:
- An illustrated children's book
- A story told from a nonhuman POV
- A book with a cat on the cover

Another holiday story-time selection, this is a different take on the
David
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Who is Coming to Our House? (paperback] by Joseph Slate, illustrated by Ashley Wolff follows the animals who get the stable ready for Joseph and Mary, and their blessed event.

Wolff's detailed drawings of single and double page spreads focus on the animals and what they do to get ready for Joweph and Mary. My favorite images are mouse & all animals, goat, sheep telling hens to dust, Geese stacking, duck plucking, hen laying, peacock, and last three illustrations.

Goat butts aside a cart, Pig
Taryn
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story about the animals in the stable where Jesus was born, preparing for Mary and Joseph to arrive. Very sweet. Excellent read-aloud. Great way to talk about anticipation and preparation, which is what Advent is all about. I also appreciate the way the animals want to clean every part of the stable (even the spider wants to make new webs!), which symbolizes (for me) preparing our hearts for Christ. Advent is a penitential season.

Yes, I may be reading too much into this story,
Angie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: ""Who is coming to our house?

Someone, someone," says Mouse.

As Pig makes room, Lamb cleans up, Goose stacks the hay, and Duck lines the crib with eiderdown, Mary and Joseph are on their way by donkey. All the animals welcome the baby Jesus to their home."

My Review: I loved this book. It was a cute and different take on the story of Jesus' birth. The animals know and make sure the stable is prepared for Mary and Joseph. The pictures are bold and vivid. A great story for the countdown
Jana
This sweet picture books tells young readers how the farm animals all prepared to welcome their special guests - Mary and Joseph and the night of the first Christmas. Lovely illustrations and simple, rhyming text will help young readers realize just how special the birth of Jesus was, making this a nice read aloud for bedtime or to share with church groups during the holidays.
Asho
This is a pleasant variation on the story of the birth of Jesus, focused on the manger animals who are anticipating His arrival. I found the illustrations charming, my one-year-old enjoyed pointing to the animals, and my three-year-old liked this so much that he asked to take it to school one day to share it with his class.
Roberta
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Rhymey story of Mary and Joseph coming to the manger. There are a couple pictorial clues as to who it is that's coming even though Mouse says only, "Someone, someone": a village that looks suspiciously like Bethlehem and a man and a woman riding on a donkey. Nicely illustrated by Ashley Wolff.
Danette
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love pulling this book out every Christmas and reading to whomever will listen.

2016 Read with Naomi & Julia
12/21/17 Naomi read to Julia & me.
12/3/18 Read with Naomi & Julia
12/24/19 Read with Julia
Tessa
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
A lovely little book that's great to read any time of year, not just Christmas. The text is simple and the illustrations are wonderful.
Janet
Lovely illustrations with a lyrical text as we see the animals in the barn preparing for the arrival of guests. Who will it be. . .Mary and Joseph of course.
Zoey
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audrey Widjaja
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Who is coming to our house"
"Someone, someone," says Mouse.
The animals in the stable are preparing for the arrival of baby Jesus.

Hen lay an egg, Peacock spread its tail....

Us? open our heart and make room for him to enter.
Allyson
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this sweet, sweet little board book. Mia and I read it all year round. It always makes me tear up. The sweet gestures of the animals show such reverence for the birth of the Savior.
Tara Choate
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mildly amusing, but nothing special.
Arjhay Serpa Juan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Childrens book are best and I love the story and make me say wow when my girlfriend said to me to read this short story on Booksale. Someday I will buy this for my children.
Nora Towner
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Sharon
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story of the First Christmas written from the barn animals' point of view.
Miss Sarah
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The animals in the barn are preapring for a very special visitor. Awesome. Love the reglious overtones. toddler and up
Melissa Lavely
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute; Grayson loved all the animals.
Shorel Kleinert
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m all about artistic liberty, but...a pig? So, you have to ignore that Mary and Joseph were Jews. Which is a pretty major point to ignore.
Karin
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, rhyming story.
Kate Urban
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
This is one of my favorite books and has been since I was a very young child. It is a rhyming book about the story of Christmas told from the perspective of the animals found in the stable. It is a very simple story with easy to read words and amazing pictures.
Joe
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It would be very easy to over-read this book, and see too much meaning in the actions of the different animals, but I will try to avoid doing so.
Joseph Slate's simple but effective reading of the traditional nativity story is succinct and accessible, and forces the reader to reconsider their approach. Unlike The Story of the Other Wise Man, this story does not spend extensive paragraphs in painting different landscapes, but tells its message, with wide but basic illustrations, and leaves the
Peacegal
This book boasts beautiful artwork that resembles a combination of stained glass and wood cutting. I was actually surprised when it turned out to be a religiously-themed Christmas story, as the cover does not hint at this aspect. However, I was pleased to see the religious story includes animals in a positive way—a variety of farm animals prepare their manger for the arrival of Mary and Joseph. This might be a good starting point for discussions about the role animals play in many Bible stories, ...more
Madeline Huhta
In the book Who Is Coming To Our House? There is a mouse who knows that someone special is on their way to the house. All the animals get ready for this someone special. Soon they will find out.
This book is short and sweet. It shows the compassion for someone when they don’t even know who is coming. I think that is a good rule of thumb. It doesn’t matter who is coming over, but to accept them.
This historical book is a story of the story of Mary and Joseph. It makes it easy for children to
Christie rdg3320
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for kindergarten or first grade because it is simple for them to read and it is a neat way of telling a part of the story of Christmas. I know its probably not a book you can use in public school. I think its a good example of writing because it gives each animal a voice and make the students wonder who is coming. I would use this story in my classroom to have them write about who is coming to there house using a similar form of the book.
Lisa Rathbun
A sweet read. A couple of the rhymes are awkward (a goose spreading the manger with eider, for example), but overall I enjoy this simple rhyming book with a variety of animals as they eagerly anticipate someone coming to their "house" -- a stable. Young children may even be surprised the first time they hear this book to realize that the visitor coming is JESUS!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Carrot Seed
  • If Jesus Came to My House
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • What Do Babies Do?
  • When It's Time For Bed (Collins Baby & Toddler S.)
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story