Start by marking “Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)” as Want to Read:
Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)

Song of Susannah

(The Dark Tower #6)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  128,682 ratings  ·  3,718 reviews
Stephen King
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah with 10 full-color illustrations by Darrel Anderson

The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is at once a book of revelation, a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower, and a fast-paced story of double-barreled suspense.
To give birth to her "chap," demon-mothe
Published June 8th 2004 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Song of Susannah, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sean I began the DT series understanding King places himself in the books at some point. When I first heard about this I assumed it was a bad idea. Breakin…moreI began the DT series understanding King places himself in the books at some point. When I first heard about this I assumed it was a bad idea. Breaking the fourth wall can be a cool device, but is seldom beneficial to the story... unless you're talking about Deadpool.

After I read this part of the story I understood King placed a slightly fictional version of himself in the books, not his true self. The idea to be conveyed here is how truly important the Dark Tower is. It's the linchpin holding together ALL worlds, including ours, where there is a Stephen King who writes the Dark Tower series.

If I was the editor I would probably advise against this aspect of the Dark Tower series. It does take you out of the books initially and is distracting from the plot. In the end it was not as bad as I assumed it would be.(less)

·  128,682 ratings  ·  3,718 reviews

Start your review of Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: Nothing remarkable, but nothing terrible. Just a light aperitif to cleanse the palate and set the stage for the final tome.
megs_bookrack
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH. MY. WORD. CHILLS!!!

The last few sentences of this left me speechless!!!

I cannot believe I am using this many exclamation points, but seriously, have you read this?!?!

I am so in love with this series. I just want to stare at the gorgeous covers all day and ponder its meaning; its true to the guts meaning.

It's bloody EPIC.

As a continuation of the overall series, this was pure perfection. As a reader, you know the end draws nigh.

The pace of the story is like a quickening heartbeat racing towar
Mario the lone bookwolf
After enjoying some short, not really peaceful, time together, the ka-tet has to be separated to accelerate the plot.

Close to everything is related to the other novels, so we have:

Susannah Mia is internally torn apart and a bit indecisive about the best (view spoiler). Just take all the average fantasy races, aliens, r
Bookwraiths
I'm going to sit down and write reviews on the whole Dark Tower series after I finish, but I just have to say these books are becoming more and more tiresome. It just seems as if King has lost the vision of Roland the Gunslinger, so he - in order to have something to write about - constantly tinkers with the lore, changes history around, blames things on this multi-timestream concept, or spends whole novels describing an event merely to snap his fingers and change everything the next book so as ...more
Kara
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story wasn't bad, some of the new characters were interesting, but I cannot give it a higher rating because of the author himself.

Stephen King has indulged in the ULTIMATE form of ego stroking in this volume and it pissed me off. The plot could've been structured some other way to avoid what he's doing right now - you *can* adjust plot, much as it sometimes hurts to do so - and the fact that he went ahead and wrote what he wrote is annoying and... well, gross. It's gross.

I had hoped, by the
Kemper
“Would’ee speak a word of prayer first, Roland? To whatever God thee holds?”

“I hold to no God,” Roland said. “I hold to the Tower and won’t pray to that.”

Damn, I love that line. It so perfectly sums up Roland, his quest to find the Tower, what it’s cost him, and how he knows he isn’t done paying yet.

For years, it seemed like Dark Tower had been walking in aimless circles during the long breaks between the third, fourth and fifth books. We knew that King had finished the final three volumes after
Johann (jobis89)
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It got so I couldn't tell if you were the hero, the antihero, or no hero at all.”

The sixth book in King’s Dark Tower series, wherein the ka-tet are split up and sent to different “whens” and “wheres” to achieve their goals.

Song of Susannah was one of those instances where a reread proved to be very informative... as what I thought happened in this book did not actually happen in this book... I was getting ahead of myself. And for that reason I understand the complaints that not much really happ
Jeff
Upon coming to, Stephen King registered a mixed expression of fear, anger and puzzlement. Perhaps being bound and gagged had something to do with it. His face was contorted and purple and his hair was standing up with much of it covering his forehead and bulging eyes.

The tall, ungainly gunslinger was standing over him, concerned and apologetic.

“Sorry that I hit ya, Sai. If I take off the duct tape, will ya promise that ya won’t scream?”

King vigorously nodded.

“You was running away and shoutin’ an
Dan Schwent
The 2011 re-read:
Susanna/Mia uses Black Thirteen and flees to New York to have her baby. Roland, Eddie, Jake, and Callahan get the Manni to open the Unfound Door and end up in the wrong places. Can Roland and Eddie convince Calvin Tower to sell them the lot where the Rose grows? Can Jake and Callahan find Susannah before she has her baby?

Song of Susannah was my least favorite book in the Dark Tower series the first time through. Susannah has never been my favorite character in the Dark Tower sag
R.K. Gold
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the series continues. It's something special when you read a book that has so much of the author's heart and soul laced into the pages. This series is so much a part of King that he had to make himself a character in it (that scene with King talking to Eddie Dean and Roland was something else.

Like with all books in the series thus far, the journey has been infinitely more important than the destination. His mind truly is an amazing thing, the way he doesnt see himself as a great architect,
Markus
Roland was looking fixedly at the already diminishing flickers of lightning in the east, where the land of Thunderclap waited for them, and the Court of the Crimson King, and, at the end of End-World, the Dark Tower itself.

Extraordinary! I almost cannot wait for the ending, no matter how controversial.

Full review to come.

Richard
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, western
7/10

Well played Mr. King, well played. Very clever of you to lower my expectations going into the final book with this less than stellar attempt. Clever indeed. Now I’m not going into the final book with my expectations set at “best series finale ever!” and more hoping for “nicely wraps up the series”.

Whilst not the strongest in the series (possibly the weakest, if you can really call it weak) this was still an exciting read in places. Certain parts of the story actually were really good and m
Stepheny

3.5

Approximately 800 years ago I began a quest; a quest to take some much-loved friends of mine on a journey like no other. I enjoy doing things like this. I enjoy people reading books that I love so much I am willing to bludgeon them with said books until they agree to read them.

Luckily, with the Gunslinger I did not need to do too much convincing. That crazy MahFah Jeff joined on willingly enough with Delee and I.

(Little did he know, he’d be spending the rest of his pitiful life in my basem
Timothy Urges
Song of Susannah could have been 100 pages and held the same amount of information. Almost nothing happened and maybe four questions were answered. Come on, King.

I’m ready for book VII and the end.
Alina
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Conclusion: King is either a genius or crazy, most probably both - "That is the truth"
Emily
Aug 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just disgusting in it's narcissism and lack of story advancement. Once again we have a 400 page book where nothing at all really happens for 95% of the book. Also it's a book that is all about Susannah - who I have hated since I first "met" her.

The entire story diverges from the "rules" of the established world that has been created in all the previous books. (view spoiler)
Lyn
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chamber western, not a lot of action but oodles of internal dialogue and back room machinations.

Many reviewers have called this one the weakest of the books and I’ll go along with that, King was eating up the long back miles towards the end.

For me the most appealing aspect of Song of Susannah was the inclusion of Stephen King himself! The idea of a multiverse that includes literature has been done before (see Heinlein’s spectacular mess The Number of the Beast) but to add in a certain New Engl
Dan Schwent
Stacey
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed this series immensely, all the way up until this book. Now I am reading the last one just to see if he can straighten out the mess he made here. What was he thinking? This is the ultimate in mental masturbation an author can produce. I liked the parts Eddie and Roland right up until they left Tower, and I kind of liked the bits with Jake, but the rest? Crap. It's crap!

I know authors of serials sometimes put themselves in the story (Clive Cussler comes to mind,) but it's usually don
Bradley
This book is much more wonderful the second time around. Who knows, maybe it'll jump another notch by the third or the fourth. :)

This is a series that only gets better when you're swimming in the massive loads of details that combine Stephen King's life, the amazing worldbuilding of his bibliography, and add the little idea that Stephen King has put his SOUL into the DT.

What do I mean by that? Well, by his own admission, this is his magnum opus, his breathtaking, soul-stealing epic that ties tog
Char
Song of Susannah was not as enjoyable for me this time around. I deducted one star from my original rating.

It seemed like there were a lot of words, (especially the word "chap", enough already!) but the story didn't seem to move very far.

What I really enjoyed about this audio were the diary entries from SK himself, which were read by the narrator after the story was over. In these entries, he talks about his drinking, about how some of the DT stories came about, and about how he and his wife
John
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Number six. I have been getting reading the series. Really looks forward to reading the conclusion. Song of Susannah brought together the strands of the previous novel. What I liked about it was the appearance of Stephen King and how he mentioned his demons. Addiction is a theme running through the books. Drugs, smoking, killing, religion and greed with Tower and his lust for books.

The wolves have been vanquished. Mia has taken over Susannah and escaped through the door in the cave with the Cri
Jessie (thatchickwithabook)
4.5 stars. A lot of people dislike vol. 6 of The Dark Tower novels but I really liked this! No matter how meta it got, I still couldn't put it down. Really fantastic. I can't honestly review it because anything I say could be construed as a spoiler, but if you're reading the novels - this is a good one. Has more of a The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands feel to it (coincidentally, my favourites in the series so far).
Kathryn
I just finished Song of Susannah, and it's ending has made me want to immediately dive right into the last book of The Dark Tower series, The Dark Tower. For the past few weeks while I've been reading SoS, I've really been eager to find out if Roland makes it to The Tower. Now, I'm a little sad to be starting the last book, the final journey.

I give SoS four stars. For me, it was a great installment, no doubt, to the series. However, I can't give it the extra star to make it a five star installm
Justin
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not gonna mark this review as spoilery because there are two things I know: 1. You have already read The Drak Tower series or 2. You are never going to read it. Yep, those are the two camps my friends fall into these days. If, by some strange, unexplained cosmic mystery, you haven’t yet read these books but plan to one day, you should probably stop reading here. Just a warning in case you exist.

Anyway, spoilers...

Coming right up.....

I love that Stephen King made himself into a character in
C.W.
I can't describe how happy certain events in this one has made me. It's SO good. I never expected early on that it'd go in this direction, and I love it. This literally could've only ever been written by Stephen King, and within the exact time frame that he wrote it in. There are still so many ways he could take this, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out in the next one. If you've just begun this series, or are thinking about starting it - DO IT AND KEEP GOING! Looking back, the earlier ...more
Kyriakos Sorokkou
DTProject2017 | Book 6

This used to be my least favourite book of the series. Now it's just one of the least favourites of the series, probably in the same level with the #2 book The Drawing of the Three

Reading it for the second time after 5 years I feel that things are clearer and I know what's going on.
What confused me the first time and it's still unclear are the places that Susannah visits. Are there in her mind, she travels with her mind, I don't know and that's what makes this book the
Justin Brendel
I have such a "like"/hate relationship with this book. I like the story of Tower and Deepneau in hiding and signing over the property to the Tet Corporation. I like the Dixie Pig and all that transpires there. The gathering of the taheen, vampires, and Can Toi, is a fascinating scene.

I struggle with Susannah/Mia. It feels so stretched out. They ultimately go to a hotel, spend some time in the crazy castle, and go to the Dixie Pig. But it is spread over so many pages!

Then there is the matter of
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I... really liked this book? My immediate reaction is to give it five stars but after looking at the top reviews I’m feeling self-conscious.

Anyway, I feel like my whole “yeah I’m going to space these last few books out” plan was total bullshit so I guess I’ll hit at least one of my reading goals this year. Lol

Proper RTC because I actually have notes.
The Constantly Re...: Song of Susannah 1 7 Feb 05, 2020 11:58AM
Goodreads Librari...: Replace Cover 4 19 Jul 12, 2019 10:15PM
Reading with E.: Dark Tower Reread: SONG OF SUSANNAH! 1 6 Sep 18, 2018 11:01PM
Stephen King Fans: Dark Tower #6- Song of Susannah - Mar 2018 25 80 Jul 21, 2018 09:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Song of Susannah alternate cover numbering off 1 17 Feb 04, 2018 10:34AM
Book Club: Song of Susannah 1 2 Sep 27, 2017 09:23PM
2020 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Song of Susannah (Dark Tower #6) 16 159 Jun 30, 2017 06:10PM

• The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
  • NOS4A2
  • Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • Thinner
  • Blaze
  • Sword of Destiny (The Witcher, #0.75)
  • The Body
  • Doors - Vorsehung
  • Белый хрен в конопляном поле (Приключения Жихаря, #4)

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)