Start by marking “Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)” as Want to Read:
Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)

Song of Susannah

(The Dark Tower #6)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  112,252 ratings  ·  3,186 reviews
Stephen King
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah with 10 full-color illustrations by Darrel Anderson

The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is at once a book of revelation, a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower, and a fast-paced story of double-barreled suspense.
To give birth to her "chap," demon-mother
Published June 8th 2004 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Song of Susannah, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sean I began the DT series understanding King places himself in the books at some point. When I first heard about this I assumed it was a bad idea.…moreI began the DT series understanding King places himself in the books at some point. When I first heard about this I assumed it was a bad idea. Breaking the fourth wall can be a cool device, but is seldom beneficial to the story... unless you're talking about Deadpool.

After I read this part of the story I understood King placed a slightly fictional version of himself in the books, not his true self. The idea to be conveyed here is how truly important the Dark Tower is. It's the linchpin holding together ALL worlds, including ours, where there is a Stephen King who writes the Dark Tower series.

If I was the editor I would probably advise against this aspect of the Dark Tower series. It does take you out of the books initially and is distracting from the plot. In the end it was not as bad as I assumed it would be.(less)

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: Nothing remarkable, but nothing terrible. Just a light aperitif to cleanse the palate and set the stage for the final tome.
Bookwraiths
I'm going to sit down and write reviews on the whole Dark Tower series after I finish, but I just have to say these books are becoming more and more tiresome. It just seems as if King has lost the vision of Roland the Gunslinger, so he - in order to have something to write about - constantly tinkers with the lore, changes history around, blames things on this multi-timestream concept, or spends whole novels describing an event merely to snap his fingers and change everything the next book so as ...more
Kara
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story wasn't bad, some of the new characters were interesting, but I cannot give it a higher rating because of the author himself.

Stephen King has indulged in the ULTIMATE form of ego stroking in this volume and it pissed me off. The plot could've been structured some other way to avoid what he's doing right now - you *can* adjust plot, much as it sometimes hurts to do so - and the fact that he went ahead and wrote what he wrote is annoying and... well, gross. It's gross.

I had hoped, by the
Kemper
“Would’ee speak a word of prayer first, Roland? To whatever God thee holds?”

“I hold to no God,” Roland said. “I hold to the Tower and won’t pray to that.”

Damn, I love that line. It so perfectly sums up Roland, his quest to find the Tower, what it’s cost him, and how he knows he isn’t done paying yet.

For years, it seemed like Dark Tower had been walking in aimless circles during the long breaks between the third, fourth and fifth books. We knew that King had finished the final three volumes after
Jeff
Upon coming to, Stephen King registered a mixed expression of fear, anger and puzzlement. Perhaps being bound and gagged had something to do with it. His face was contorted and purple and his hair was standing up with much of it covering his forehead and bulging eyes.

The tall, ungainly gunslinger was standing over him, concerned and apologetic.

“Sorry that I hit ya, Sai. If I take off the duct tape, will ya promise that ya won’t scream?”

King vigorously nodded.

“You was running away and shoutin’ an
Dan Schwent
The 2011 re-read:
Susanna/Mia uses Black Thirteen and flees to New York to have her baby. Roland, Eddie, Jake, and Callahan get the Manni to open the Unfound Door and end up in the wrong places. Can Roland and Eddie convince Calvin Tower to sell them the lot where the Rose grows? Can Jake and Callahan find Susannah before she has her baby?

Song of Susannah was my least favorite book in the Dark Tower series the first time through. Susannah has never been my favorite character in the Dark Tower sag
Richard
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, western, sci-fi
7/10

Well played Mr. King, well played. Very clever of you to lower my expectations going into the final book with this less than stellar attempt. Clever indeed. Now I’m not going into the final book with my expectations set at “best series finale ever!” and more hoping for “nicely wraps up the series”.

Whilst not the strongest in the series (possibly the weakest, if you can really call it weak) this was still an exciting read in places. Certain parts of the story actually were really good and mad
Markus
Roland was looking fixedly at the already diminishing flickers of lightning in the east, where the land of Thunderclap waited for them, and the Court of the Crimson King, and, at the end of End-World, the Dark Tower itself.

Extraordinary! I almost cannot wait for the ending, no matter how controversial.

Full review to come.

#6 Song of Susannah
#7 The Dark Tower
Stepheny

3.5

Approximately 800 years ago I began a quest; a quest to take some much-loved friends of mine on a journey like no other. I enjoy doing things like this. I enjoy people reading books that I love so much I am willing to bludgeon them with said books until they agree to read them.

Luckily, with the Gunslinger I did not need to do too much convincing. That crazy MahFah Jeff joined on willingly enough with Delee and I.

(Little did he know, he’d be spending the rest of his pitiful life in my basem
R.K. Gold
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the series continues. It's something special when you read a book that has so much of the author's heart and soul laced into the pages. This series is so much a part of King that he had to make himself a character in it (that scene with King talking to Eddie Dean and Roland was something else.

Like with all books in the series thus far, the journey has been infinitely more important than the destination. His mind truly is an amazing thing, the way he doesnt see himself as a great architect,
megs_bookrack
Announcement: I am putting this on hold for the moment.

I know, I know. It has nothing to do with the book. It is a great book and I love my journey to the Tower, I am just a little overwhelmed with other things right now. I feel like I am not giving this the attention it deserves so I will come back to it when I can.

Doesn't this feel like a break-up letter?

Dear Dark Tower Series,

It's not you, it's me.

No, seriously. I love you. I am low-key obsessed with you, I just don't have the time to dedicat
Timothy Urges
Song of Susannah could have been 100 pages and held the same amount of information. Almost nothing happened and maybe four questions were answered. Come on, King.

I’m ready for book VII and the end.
Stacey
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed this series immensely, all the way up until this book. Now I am reading the last one just to see if he can straighten out the mess he made here. What was he thinking? This is the ultimate in mental masturbation an author can produce. I liked the parts Eddie and Roland right up until they left Tower, and I kind of liked the bits with Jake, but the rest? Crap. It's crap!

I know authors of serials sometimes put themselves in the story (Clive Cussler comes to mind,) but it's usually don
Emily
Aug 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just disgusting in it's narcissism and lack of story advancement. Once again we have a 400 page book where nothing at all really happens for 95% of the book. Also it's a book that is all about Susannah - who I have hated since I first "met" her.

The entire story diverges from the "rules" of the established world that has been created in all the previous books. (view spoiler)
Char
Song of Susannah was not as enjoyable for me this time around. I deducted one star from my original rating.

It seemed like there were a lot of words, (especially the word "chap", enough already!) but the story didn't seem to move very far.

What I really enjoyed about this audio were the diary entries from SK himself, which were read by the narrator after the story was over. In these entries, he talks about his drinking, about how some of the DT stories came about, and about how he and his wife
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DTProject2017 | Book 6

This used to be my least favourite book of the series. Now it's just one of the least favourites of the series, probably in the same level with the #2 book The Drawing of the Three

Reading it for the second time after 5 years I feel that things are clearer and I know what's going on.
What confused me the first time and it's still unclear are the places that Susannah visits. Are there in her mind, she travels with her mind, I don't know and that's what makes this book the le
C.W.
I can't describe how happy certain events in this one has made me. It's SO good. I never expected early on that it'd go in this direction, and I love it. This literally could've only ever been written by Stephen King, and within the exact time frame that he wrote it in. There are still so many ways he could take this, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out in the next one. If you've just begun this series, or are thinking about starting it - DO IT AND KEEP GOING! Looking back, the earlier ...more
Kathryn
I just finished Song of Susannah, and it's ending has made me want to immediately dive right into the last book of The Dark Tower series, The Dark Tower. For the past few weeks while I've been reading SoS, I've really been eager to find out if Roland makes it to The Tower. Now, I'm a little sad to be starting the last book, the final journey.

I give SoS four stars. For me, it was a great installment, no doubt, to the series. However, I can't give it the extra star to make it a five star installm
Justin Brendel
I have such a "like"/hate relationship with this book. I like the story of Tower and Deepneau in hiding and signing over the property to the Tet Corporation. I like the Dixie Pig and all that transpires there. The gathering of the taheen, vampires, and Can Toi, is a fascinating scene.

I struggle with Susannah/Mia. It feels so stretched out. They ultimately go to a hotel, spend some time in the crazy castle, and go to the Dixie Pig. But it is spread over so many pages!

Then there is the matter of
Jessie (thatchickwithabook)
4.5 stars. A lot of people dislike vol. 6 of The Dark Tower novels but I really liked this! No matter how meta it got, I still couldn't put it down. Really fantastic. I can't honestly review it because anything I say could be construed as a spoiler, but if you're reading the novels - this is a good one. Has more of a The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands feel to it (coincidentally, my favourites in the series so far).
Emma
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed how King wrote himself into the story. Also enjoyed the dialogue between Mia and Susannah. My heart was in my mouth for Oy a couple of times and that scene where Jake has to leave him, the tears...oh my! Stephen King, you naughty man playing with me like that!
This volume did feel a little like filler for the final instalment but that's ok because I enjoyed the ride. Have a lot of questions that need answering before the end of this series. I'm not sure whether they'll all be answe
Wilier
Viajes inter-dimensionales al mejor estilo de Stephen King sin spoilers

Abrí este libro con las expectativas mas bajas que haya tenido con libro de Stephen King alguno, debido a las malas criticas que ha tenido no solo de la gente experimentada sino también del publico común como yo, la mayoría coincidían en que este es el punto mas bajo de toda la saga y pues dejen que les diga que me ha gustado mucho, si es ese el caso el punto mas bajo de toda la saga debería de ser lobos del calla.

En este lib
taarak
Apr 16, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi and Fantasy Buffs
Steven King's magnum opus. I've given a short review of all the books below. Based largely on the strengths of books 1, 2 and 4, I rate the whole series of seven books a three.

On "THE GUNSLINGER" His first book in a very long series starts out well enough.

On "THE DRAWING OF THE THREE" Gotta chuk!? Gotta up-chuk!? Okay, not so bad but not as good as the first.

On "THE WASTELANDS" The series improves with fast-paced, difficult to follow forays into alternate realities.

On "WIZARD AND GLASS" The best
Melissa Chung
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Well... one more book to go before I’m done with this series. This book was my least favorite. It wasn’t badly written, I just despise Mia daughter on none.

This book is quite short compared to the others excluding the first book, ‘ The Gunslinger ‘, and surrounds one event. I can’t speak of the event because that would be a spoiler. This event takes place in 1999 and the Ka-tet have been separated into 3 groups. Eddie and Roland, Jake, Callahan and Oy, and lastly Mia and Susanna. They must go th
Ashley Daviau
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know a lot of people aren’t fans of this instalment in the Dark Tower series. I however, am definitely not part of those people. I honestly think this is my favourite book out of the whole series. Something about it just resonates with me!

I think part of the reason I enjoy it so much is that it mostly focuses on Susannah and the farther we get into the series, the more I fall in love with her. She was my favourite character after my first read of this series and this remains true so many year
Wayne Barrett

I think this one is the most difficult to rate out the series. There were parts that I enjoyed immensely, and there were sections that I abhorred.

What part didn't I like? every section of this unassembled jig-saw puzzle of a book that involves Susannah and Mia. I know this might sound sacrilegious to some hard-core Tower fans, but Susannah has always been my least favorite character and all too often she just annoys the hell out of me. So, not only was I disappointed when I found that an entire
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Juggling between 3.5 or 4 since there have been so many deux ex machina shit going on lately. Despite it all though, I was entertained.
Thanos
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Προσοχή! Ακολουθεί κριτική μόνο για όσους έχουν διαβάσει το βιβλίο και θα καταλάβουν την παρακάτω στάντζα! :-P

ΣΤΡΟΦΗ: Έλα-κομάλα-έλα
Πάει το 6ο βιβλίο της σειράς.
Σαν κάτι να χάθηκε σ’ αυτή την πορεία
Και μπλέχτηκαν όλα, συγγραφείς και μαγεία.

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΗ: Έλα-κομάλα-έξι!
Το τέλος είναι πλέον πολύ πιο κοντά!
Μακάρι να μην απογοητεύσει του Πύργου η ιστορία
Κι ας χάθηκε κάτι σ’ αυτή την πορεία.

Εν ολίγοις, θεωρώ πως είναι το πιο αδύναμο μέχρι τώρα. Θα μπορούσε να είναι πολύ καλύτερο. Η ιστορία δεν προχώρησε
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Journey Begins
  • Blaze
  • The Stand: The Night Has Come
  • Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Necroscope: Resurgence, The Lost Years Volume II (Necroscope, #10)
  • The Face
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Sacrament
  • Night Visions 5
  • Legends
  • The Throat

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
“Anger is the most useless emotion," Henchick intoned, "destructive to the mind and hurtful to the heart.” 64 likes
“In the Land of Memory the time is always Now.
In the Kingdom of Ago, the clocks tick... but their hands never move.
There is an Unfound Door
(O lost)
and memory is the key which opens it.”
51 likes