Start by marking “Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)

Second Helpings

(Jessica Darling #2)

Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in an ...more
Published April 22nd 2003 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Second Helpings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Helpings

Janina
Reasons I enjoyed Second Helpings more than Sloppy Firsts:

Reading it in English. Really, the humour – and especially the play on words – just doesn’t translate too well. I had much more fun reading the original. Jessica’s voice felt more authentic.

It had more Marcus Flutie. Enough said.

I loved that Jessica started to make friends with someone she only felt mild annoyance for in book one. Her relationship with Bridget grew and she acknowledged that while it wasn’t the same as with Hope, it was s
Jessica
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

This was fun fun fun! I had trouble deciding on a rating, though.
I kept changing it from 4 stars to 5 stars to 4 stars to 5 stars and now, finally, I settled on a 4 stars rating which is actually more like a 4.5 stars rating ;-)

To my surprise, I liked Second Helpings better than Sloppy Firsts. It was funnier somehow and there were more swoon worthy moments. Boy, am I crushing hard on Marcus Flutie! ♥

When I checked the reviews for this book (and the Jessica Darling series in gene
Keertana
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit it: Sloppy Firsts was better. Yet, that doesn’t mean that Second Helpings wasn’t a brilliant follow-up novel, because it was! Jessica Darling is back and this time, she’s about to start her senior year of high school. Hope, her best friend, is still miles away from her, her mother still wants her to find a boyfriend, her sister is now expecting a baby, her relationship with her father continues to get worse, and to make matters worse, it’s time to apply for college. If that w ...more
Heidi
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars.

Originally reviewed here.

If I’m ever found dead and all signs point to the cause being extreme anxiety, and everyone keeps saying “I don’t know what happened, she was always so laid back”, you insist on searching all end tables and my Kindle to find out what I was reading when I keeled over. Chances are, it was a Jessica Darling book.

Second Helpings may not have left me on the verge of a panic attack in its ending like Sloppy Firsts managed too, but there was enough angst leading up to
Tatiana
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
As much as I loved "Sloppy Firsts," as much as I admired Jessica Darling and identified with her in that book, I just couldn't bring myself to give this sequel more than 2 stars, simply because I didn't like how this story unfolded.

For one, I thought Jessica digressed in this installment. I no longer found her funny and spazzy, I found her immature, whiny, and, for all her school smarts, dumb. I didn't like her relationship with Len, I thoroughly hated her sudden obsession with losing her virgin
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
As I found myself with very little time lately and therefore being unable to concentrate my poor brain on anything, including a new book, I decided to go back to an old classic (so fear not, Joe Abercrombie, the only reason I put your delicious book on hold is because I don't want to ruin it by reading one sentence out of two).
It's been some time I wanted to go back to Jessica Darling's tremendous high-school years and the planets finally aligned to permit that blissful reunion this summer!

The t
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This was as good as the first book in all the right ways. I enjoyed Jessica's voice and her frank and often witty observations. I liked even better her growing maturity without having to regress from the progress in the first book. Marcus' development was as engaging, even if most of it was off-screen. And I particularly liked that Megan McCafferty took some interesting turns and difficult decisions in the course of the book that denied easy answers or simple options.

It wasn't perfect. The indec
Alexia
If the first and second book had been written into one (without so many pages), I'd make that book into my chick lit fav of all time.

The second one has considerably more Marcus Flutie, but I rated it 1 star less than Sloppy Firsts. If we were to compare the chemistry in both, Second Helpings has a great deal more. Then what contributed to the demise of that one star?

That effin' obsessive talk about the protagonist's virginity.

What is wrong with chick lit? From The Princess Diaries to Perfect Che
Nicole
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I haven't wanted to stop reading to write a review for a while, but I feel these books deserve my attention.
My lord, do I love Jessica Darling! This girl has such a fresh and entertaining voice, I'm amazed at Megan McCafferty's writing skills! I know the concept of this series is nothing new, (girl writes in journal a la Bridget Jones)...but I couldn't put it down. Jess's take on life is so refreshing and funny, here's a couple of quotes that had me giggling:
On her sister's extravagant life
Kelly Costa
I loved the book so much more than the first one. Marcus is so sexy!!! I want him badly. Damn fictional characters why can't they be real and why can't this be my life.
Sophie
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014-books
Most of my Goodreads friends have loved this book/series (lots of 4 and 5 star reviews!) so I'm disappointed at giving this book 1 star. I wanted to love it, I really did, and the writing was definitely catchy.

The main problem was that Jessica was such an unlikeable character in so many ways.
I didn't like her in the first book and was hoping there would be some improvement, but nope.

She's so negative towards women: Other than her best friend Hope, who seems to be about the only woman she's po
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: awesome people
I will do my best to refrain my flailing and fangirling in this review, but it's going to be really difficult, because this series gives me so many feels. SO. MANY. FEELS. Seriously, if you like contemporaries at all and are not easily offended, then you really need to read the Jessica Darling series posthaste. Second Helpings follows Jessica through her senior year of high school, and had me even more on the edge of my seat than the first one.

As I mentioned in my review for Sloppy Firsts, I lov
Jen
So this book is obviously the best of the series. No, I haven't read them all yet... but it's just obvious. If it was 1998 and the Jessica Darling series was N*SYNC, Second Helpings would be Justin Timberlake, in all his curly-haired, bleach blond glory. I really can't put my love for this book into words. I felt like my heart was exploding when it ended, in both a good and a not-so-good way.

Jessica is obviously growing up. That was one of the main factors the allure of this series. Most books-
Mindy
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, ya
I enjoyed this book so much more than the first one. I felt Jessica, the MC, was less annoying and whiny in this one. Some reviews seemed to think just the opposite, but I'm so glad I continued with the series. There were still some moments that made me want to smack Jessica up side the head though. All in all a fun series and I look forward to finding book 3 at my favorite used bookstore.
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens to Young Adults
Recommended to Brittany by: Anna M
How I Came To Read This Book: My friend Anna insisted I read it.

The Plot: After a rather explosive time in Jessica's life - including the burning of her precious journals - everyone's favourite darling is back and ready to tackle senior year with more biting, raw commentary on the happenings at Pineville. The problems are just as realistic and dramatic - for a teenager - as ever in Jessica's life, ranging from boyfriends to sex to friends to family to expectations for college.

The Good or Bad: Th
Michelle
Dec 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, contemp, 2010
After learning of Marcus' betrayal and vowing to never speak his name again, Jessica prepares for her senior year by getting the heck out of dodge...er...Pineville by enrolling in a teenage writers camp called SPECIAL. SPECIAL doesn't really turn out to be the escape Jessica hopes. As if lusting after her writing mentor weren't enough, Jessica is now stuck for the next six weeks dealing with a bunch of hormone-crazed or suicidal teens she has nothing in common with. That is until she accidentall ...more
L.E. Fidler
i am mentally prepping myself for summer books by starting off with this series.

i enjoyed "second helpings" - even if the cutesy, mildly double-entendred titles aren't really doin' it for me.

the perks:

1. same ole jessica d., same ole marcus flutie (my soft spot for brilliant redheaded male poets in literature is legendary), same ole clueless crew, same ole letters to hope marking the end of each month, all good as far as i'm concerned
2. more emotional-based storylines, less stupidly overhyped d
Lexi
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read Second Helpings because I wanted an easy read. Although I was really surprised to find that the main character and I shared a sense of humor with a lot of similar feelings thus making this book not only easy but enjoyable.

I liked the book most for its style. Jessica, the narrator who tells the story in first person, is smart, witty, and has a talent for writing. We see her true thoughts and feelings as the story is told through the pages of her journal. Even from the very beginning it is
Filipa
I was so very convinced that the second instalment of Jessica Darling series couldn't possible be better than the first. I seem to continuously underestimated these books. Yes, because this book to me was...
Perfect.
Way better than the first because now that I know Jessica and her world I am hopelessly compelled to it all. I really wasn't expecting things to turn out as they did and so the surprise was so much sweeter than I could ever hope for.
This book has touched so many things inside of me
Crystal
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
The first book left me wanting more, but this one left me going "huh". I think what I liked about Jessica was lost in this one. She turned into a boy crazy, sex starved, mouthy girl. The whole Len situation ticked me off too. I applauded her for not giving in to Scotty, but then she turned around and dated Len for all the wrong reasons. I just didn't get why she went in that direction. Throughout most of the book I was bored until Marcus walked in. Don't get me wrong he annoyed the poo out of me ...more
Natalie Williamson
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Marcus Flutie, you have stolen my heart. You. Yes. You. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Sarah Hadd
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Have you ever pulled an early 2000’s teen lit book off your shelf, not even sure why because you had better options you could have been reading, then read it and really liked it but felt like the world’s biggest loser because it wasn’t exactly Shakespeare but it was a super fun guilty pleasure anyway??

..... uh.... Yeah, um, me neither..... 🤥
Janean
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. You are wearing on me a bit. My sentiments about your "horrible" life were only compounded after this book. And I'm starting to think you are a bit of a hypocrite, in light of your conversation with Paul. And really, it took you a whole year to figure out Marcus, Taryn, Bridget and Pepe...aren't you the salutatorian?
Why do I feel like I'm reading an better version of Twilight?
Yet, I stand by my 3 stars. It took me about 3 days to finish this book, and that's got to co
Evey
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Is it too weird that Gladdie is one of my favorite characters? No, I guess not. She's just that awesome. And so are the Silver Meadows residents.

Still as funny as the previous ones, Jess keeps as clueless as some of us still are. Because life is hard... And then you get to college.
Jackie Bromagin
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads, 2015, 2019
I was feeling the need to re-read some Jessica Darling. I cannot even remember how many times that I've read this series. I just love it. It's so nostalgic for me.

I started reading it when I was 16. I still adore it and love to go back to it every so often.
Trina (Between Chapters)
Despite there being several things in this book that unfolded in a way I didn't like, or thought were cheap plot devices, I REALLY liked this book. And I enjoyed it much more than the first book. I'm glad I'm finally reading this series and can't wait to see where it goes.
Triss
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
Puh-leez, I need more of Jessica's ramblings. Me. Yes. Me.
Faith Wisniewski
Jan 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
R
Name: Faith Wisniewski

Book title: Second Helpings

Personal Response:
Personally, I really enjoyed reading this book. I normally do not enjoy reading, but I couldn't put this book down. Second Helpings is the second book in the series. I did not read the first one and I understood what was going on in this book, so you do not need to read the series in order. Megan McCafferty is a very good author. Her writings are very descriptive! I would definitely read Second Helpings again.

Book Summary:
Sec
AurelyaRose
This book continued to be an overall fun, enjoyable and distracting experience for me.

That being said this series contains so many problematic... Words and elements it is kinda amazing the book is only what 16 years old? Haha as old as Jessica Darling around the beginning of the series.

As I have read others say, it's ... Achievable to let Jessica Notso Darling's anti-pc language and agenda slide given she is a dumb teenager. I too was once a dumb teenager and had my own slut shaming tendencies,
Ashley
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't hate and I didn't love the second installment to this series. Again, it really spoke to me in the way that Jessica Darling is pretty much me when I was in high school, but in this book she was a little too unsure and up/down about her feelings which got annoying to a point. I felt as if J.D.'s indecisiveness was a detriment to the book. I'm not going to say she was hyper-aware and confident in herself throughout the first book, but she at least was resolute in what she felt. In this boo ...more
Jessica and Marcus 6 75 Feb 27, 2014 05:21AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Second Helpings 1 2 Aug 29, 2012 08:59AM

• The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Tap & Gown (Secret Society Girl, #4)
  • Speak
  • The Year of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2)
  • Love and Other Four-Letter Words
  • Shrimp (Cyd Charisse, #2)
  • The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2)
  • Something, Maybe
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #3)
  • Hold on Tight (Hold on Tight, #1)
  • Hold On Tight (Insiders, #5)
Megan McCafferty writes fiction for tweens, teens and teens-at-heart of all ages. The author of eleven novels, she’s best known for SLOPPY FIRSTS and four more sequels in the New York Times bestselling Jessica Darling series. She's got two new books coming out in 2020: TRUE TO YOUR SELFIE (MG, Scholastic, 2/20) and THE MALL (YA, Wednesday Books, 7/20). Described in her first review as “Judy Blume ...more

Jessica Darling (5 books)
  • Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1)
  • Charmed Thirds (Jessica Darling, #3)
  • Fourth Comings (Jessica Darling, #4)
  • Perfect Fifths (Jessica Darling, #5)
“It's so much easier to convince yourself you're madly in love with someone when you know nothing about him.” 407 likes
“You, yes, you, linger inside my heart
The same you who stopped us before we could start.”
213 likes