Start by marking “A Season in Hell” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,396 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Widowed American socialite Sarah Tolbert loses her son in a mysterious drug-related death. She travels abroad to investigate the matter and is plunged into a sinister European underworld of murderous organized crime. Reissue.
Published January 1st 1989 by Simon & Schuster (first published December 28th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Season in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season in Hell

L.M. Mountford
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's books like this that are really turning me into a fan of Mr. Higgins.

True, the summary is a bit misgiving. I was expecting a dark and gritty story of a former SAS soldier now working as a assasin, dealing bloody vengeance to the mom who murdered the stepson of a wealthy American Woman.

No, this book has a lot more heart than that and is gripping from the first page to the last. The only reason i have given it a 4 star opposed to a 5 star is because i wanted to see a showdown, the minibattle
Kris
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical military/spy/English thrill a minute, action packed book. Plenty of twists and turns with the story moving right along. This certainly is not a book for deep reading or thinking and that is as it should be. Every book does not have to rise to the heady heights of "literature."

This is just a ripping yarn where a wealthy woman with pockets deep enough to fly all over the European continent, teams up with ex-military and current intelligence operatives to pursue the truth behind her step
Paula Murtagh
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and action packing. Lacks all of the interesting but unneeded detail of many books of this genre which is refreshing. Going to put all his books on my reading list. Loved seeing my name on the book!
CW Crollard
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Higgins thriller.

Again, the complicated situations and characters keep the reader hooked. Twists and turns kept me sticking to see what happens next.
Kathryn
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining, quick read. I can't say it was particularly memorable, but there are some interesting characters and some fun plot twists. At first it was difficult to keep all of the different characters straight (which was also true in the other Jack Higgins book that I read this year) but things settled down in the second half.
stevekeiretsu
After randomly finding the early and relatively little-known Higgins East of Desolation and enjoying it more than expected, I said to myself, I'll have to go and reread some of his more blockbuster works sat on my bookshelf, so I plucked this one out to start with. It's kind of put me off any further nostalgic Higgins binging, because I honestly found this one a bit lame.

East of Desolation didn't exactly have the deepest, most three-dimensionsal characters ever but somehow the simplified sketche
Henri Moreaux
Written in 1989 prior to the Sean Dillon books this novel contains the base characters for what morphed into those in the Sean Dillon books.

This book's Sean Egan basically is the same as Sean Dillon; both grew up in England, moved to Ulster where disaster struck and their parents were killed. Egan's died to the IRA and joined the UK military, Dillon's died to the UK military and joined the IRA. Both are 'super' assassins. Both drive Mini Coopers. They're so hard to distinguish that many people i
Katie
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not going to lie, I didn't particularly enjoy this story. It was a wanna-be gangster tale that was sprinkled with spies and rainy weather on the docks. There were too many clichces in such a small work that I couldn't get over that fact. Technically, it was well-written. The style that Higgins used was classical, matter-of-fact, and there was nothing wrong with that. It seemed a little monotone to me, considering the plot was centered around drug deals and murders, but what do I know?

I reco
Lee
This early book by Higgins seems to be a precursor to his current Sean Dillon/Charles Ferguson novels. A member of the Sas Sean Egan who is leaving the service is recruited by the top secret group run by Charles Ferguson. he rejects there overtures but through one of Ferguson's men he becomes involved in the case of Sarah Talbot who is searching for her sons murder. the case goes from the UK to Sicily to Ireland before the final conclusion. Not as good as the later Sean Dillon books but an okay ...more
Carol Hale
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lifetime of Higgins

I rated this book highly because as with all Higgins books, I am never disappointed. He developed his characters, makes them likable, keeps the timeframe short , builds the suspense and keeps the plot tight. I love the attention to location and details. Jack Higgins has had me as a perennial fan since "The Eagle Has Landed ," an d has never failed to deliver suspense and entertainment.
Jamie
A university student is murdered by a drug ring so his body can be used to smuggle heroin from France into England. His Stepmother will not let go until justice is served. She enlists the help of former SAS soldier Sean Egan, whom has a personal stake in the matter. Bit by bit they take apart the drug ring until they close in on the elusive Mr. Smith.

My first Jack Higgins book. I would definitely read more of his many books.
John Lybrand
To me, Jack Higgins is famous for The Eagle Has Landed, which I read back in high school. I've read a couple of his other books, and he has a definite style. He writes spy thrillers often with a military or ex-military connection. This book tries to take an ex-SAS soldier and pair him with an American woman from Wall Street. For me the combination did not work. I didn't care about any of the characters, except perhaps for one of the bad guys. In the end, the book was a disappointment.
Al Warner
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seasonally Adjusted Drama

Who the heck is this Mr. Smith anyway? You won't know until the end. Layer after layer is peeled away and the answer just doesn't want to reveal itself until the very end. Almost nonstop action kept me turning the pages. All of the elements worked together and it tied up nicely in the end.
Yulia
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Talbot really knew what she really wanted. She capable of got into the hell of a drugs world just to find out about the truth of her step son's death. But she's in the good hand of Sean Egan, he got a big connection to every big man in military. That's all Sarah needed to survive in her battle with the Don from Sicily beside her famous Wall Street Lawyer title.
Frank Barfod
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written but a surprise

Well written but a surprise

Patterson writes well of intrigue and murder. his characters draw you in and continue to.develop, as did Mrs. Talbot. following the death of her stepson, she flew to England, encountered violence and murder, and provided the winning shot to solve it.

well done!
Luvinthislife
Good enough, I guess

Good enough, I guess

This read moved along fast and had plenty of action. Otherwise it was nothing special. There was never really much doubt about the protagonist's action at the ending and the entire grand finale was quite fabricated. I really doubt I'll remember much about it once I submit this review.
Leigh-anne Ayres
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading Jack Higgins! In fact there are not many I haven't read. This did not disappoint. He knows how to keep a book moving and are great for escaping for a while. This is a good, easy read.
David Kruse
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY AN UNDERSTANDING

A well written, well thought out read. Characters were well managed and descripted quite nicely. After reading these types of books for many years I found the ending crisp and imaginary.
Frank L. Mattox Jr.
Higgins as you like him

I don't know if it's true, but Sean Egan and Sean Dillon bear a remarkable resemblance to each other.
Well written and just what you would expect from
Jack Higgins.
Bob
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Jack Higgins with Brigadier Fergusan, Sarah Talbot Egan and Jago as Sarah goes in search of the people responsible for her stepson’s Murder. They take on a well organized drug gang in the process and bodies fall by the wayside before the conclusion.
nola durant
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson's plots and words flow naturally. He gives you an understanding of his characters personality

That makes them very real. He provides an accurate portrayal of the political and military systems in place at that time.
Sergio ruocchio
sicuramente l'autore merita un plauso per questo testo ben costruito e nel complesso molto interessante... certo non si puo' non ricordare la similitudine con i testi di McNab, questo ricercare un contatto con un autore simile ne riduce la qualità.
Daniel Walker
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was my first time reading this author I thought it was pretty good very fast paced I guess the plot is similar to many books of this genre but other than that it was pretty good takes place in England if you like that
Walt Mccluskey
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Season in Hell

Continuous action from start to finish and several curves in between. A totally unexpected ending that made sense when viewed in retrospect. The ending left room for several different follow-ups as future books and I plan to see if they exist.
Carol Creason
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found another Author I enjoy.

I have found another Author I enjoy.

I enjoyed the pace and especially the ending. The characters were genuine, well developed, reminded me of people I have known. I look forward to reading more of his works.
Douglas Cook
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First sentence, "Just after four, as first light started to seep through the bamboo slats above his head, it rained again, slowly at first, developing into a solid drenching downpour from which there was no escape."
paul kstzenberger
Great read!

Great read!

hard to put this book down, non-stop action with a different twist from my usual reads. totally enjoyed every chapter and will definitely read more of his work!
Louann
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!!!

Read this book!!!

Lots of action. Always kept me guessing until the end.
Characters were well developed, so much so even I was kind of sympathizing with one of the bad guys.
Darren
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. This was not the first Sean Dillon book I read, but it is by far the best. This was one book I had to make sure I had several hours of free time before I began reading it because I had to force myself to put it down... it was that good.
Ben
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time meeting Ferguson and to see where his mind is at, and how he'll come to develop his team for the Prime Minister private army
  • The Bannerman Effect
  • Games of the Hangman
  • Fantastic Worlds: Myths, Tales, and Stories
  • Volcano Watch (Forensic Geology #3)
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • Timothy's Game
  • Extreme Denial
  • Bahama Crisis
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • By Stealth (Tweed & Co. #9)
  • Blood Makes Noise
  • Running
  • The Drowner
  • The River
  • Doppelganger Experiment
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Bone Dry (Gina Mazzio #1)
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...
“International terrorism needs money to keep going,” Villiers said. “A great deal of money, not only for arms, which are expensive, but to fund operations. Drugs are a ready source of that kind of money,” 0 likes