Start by marking “100 Characters from Classical Mythology: Discover the Fascinating Stories of the Greek and Roman Deities” as Want to Read:

Dating back roughly 3,000 years, the gods of the ancient Greeks--and later, of the Romans--have figured prominently in legendry, poetry, drama, and the visual arts. But today's readers are often confused when they encounter the myriad names of those deities and try to understand their roles in mythology. This entertaining and mind-expanding book charts 100 of the most prom ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by B.E.S. Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Characters from Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Characters from Classical Mythology

Start your review of 100 Characters from Classical Mythology: Discover the Fascinating Stories of the Greek and Roman Deities
Felipe Alfaro
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was wonderful!
I greatly enjoyed the Renaissance artwork and photographs of classical sculpture. The visual accompaniment to the text really brings the stories to life and demonstrates how deeply Greek mythology is ingrained in our cultures and societies.

The family trees attached on each page made it much easier to understand the dynamic relationships between gods, humans and creatures.

I was pleased to see that the author provided examples of mythological influence in our lexicon: Elect
Heather
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Greek mythology more and more every day, this is a great resource, informative, easy to read, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Toe
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Objective Summary
This compendium lists the major gods and heroes from Greek / Roman mythology with one-page summaries of their exploits. Myths explained nature, emotions, and history. They touched on all aspects of the human condition: life, death, fear, fate, rape, revenge, incest, adultery, anger, and more. Given the ubiquitous concepts explored, their influence on modern culture is perhaps unsurprising. The following is an incomplete list of characters from the book, roughly in chronological
Abra
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This useful book offers thumbnail descriptions of many characters from Greek and Roman mythology. There are very useful family trees so you can keep each one straight plus photos of classic art to give you a mental picture of each character. Most of the characters are gods, but there are also important individual mythological beasts as well as the men and women appearing in the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid.

I enjoyed the no frills style of the writing plus the fact that, as far and I can t
Alicia Luchetti
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this book and I think it gives a great overview of all the characters, which is what I wanted and expected from this book. But if you want something more detailed this isn't for you.

My one complaint is the organization of the book. There are a lot of characters with names I can't pronounce let alone remember. I understand the classifications, but I think that could have been done with a few pages in an appendix. I would have much preferred a setup as was done for the Trojan war, where it
Richard Sansing
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did you know that Zeus and Prometheus were cousins, or that Prometheus and Atlas were brothers? This entertaining volume provides a quick biography of major mythological figures, along with a family tree of the Greek & Roman gods. ...more
Timothy Pitkin
I liked how they did talk about gods and figures that are not usually talked about in books and stories like Nyx, Selene, and others. As it does get kind of boring to read about Zeus, Apollo, Heracles again.
Qin Li
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used this book as a dictionary for reading Joe Campbell. Quite interesting and potentially useful in picking up girls - by talking about their names in Greek/Roman myths. Lol
Alice
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good overview of Greek Mythology. It's a good book for reference.
Victoria
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good reading, gives some connection with other philosophies.
Ella
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed learning about the characters in Greek mythology. I liked the fact the book had family trees.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ancient-history
Crazy Ladies Book Bingo)

So far so bad......I'm dying here....and so utterly confused, As if I'm gonna remember any of this, and then it's like all these people are related so it's all very incestuous, redundant, and violent (all these Gods & Goddesses killing everyone out of Jealousy,. It is amazing that any of them lived at all)
. I'm so very glad there is no test on this, because you know, I'm not going to remember too much of this information.

Actually,this book got better mid way through. I en
Courtney Herondale
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
lots of information and i loved the set up of the different categories. i am a sucker for greek mythology.
David Gwartney
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I had read a couple other books recounting many of the Greek myths and even listened to an iTunes U class on the subject. This book was a perfect way to tie all those other resources together in a way that gave an overview to each story, the characters involved, and the relation of those principle characters to other stories and the Greek gods. Before reading this book, it was difficult to remember different personalities and why their involvement was important in a given myth, but this book rea ...more
Robert
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was disappointed in a variety of aspect. THe orientation by characters did not always work, and towards the end: where he did the Trojan war felt the characters were not the major ones I would want to hear more about in this type of summary.
And sometimes I did not need the conflicting myths - when important to the myth I wanted to hear it - but not when a detail of siring and claim.

BUt still worked as a readable summary.
Jlebreton
This was a very interesting book! It opened my eyes to the tragic world of the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses, who fought together, slept together, and ate each other like it was any regular day. It was a little challenging at times to understand because some key characters were not explained until quite later in the book, and I would have liked to hear more specifically about how Medusa came to be (by Athena). However, the artwork was really beautiful and the stories quite detailed
M
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was super super bored attempting to read from cover to cover. This book would probably be okay for referencing. I think it was a difficult way to leart about deities, I read it to learn, as I never took a mythology class. I think maybe I will try reading the mythological stories instead now, it's GOT to be more interesting than this book.
Kristi
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved the set up this of the novel and how all the information is presented. The family tree aspect with the Ancestry. The images were beautiful. The information was presented in more of a reference style but I still really liked it!

This is definitely a great addition to mythology collection!
jamie
Not what I was expecting. I wanted more about the characters and the myths themselves. This was really just a very short overview of some characters. Nothing about the myths, and a lot of the summaries just repeated themselves. Like this character killed his father, now let's read about the father who was killed by his son, now let's read about the mother who watched her son kill his father.
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This isn't a book you want to read cover to cover, but it is a fun, concise guide for refreshing your memory on the many characters in Greek mythology. I've found it to be a great companion while reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
Bumblebeebookworm
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek-mythology
Fantastic book when you need to look up something regarding Greek Mythology among other things. I do this every so often when I write stories about it. It's brilliant when it comes to facts, pictures and whom was related to whom.
Marialacey4
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I continue to use this as a reference when reading the Rick Riordan; Percy Jackson series and the latest Heros of Olympus series. I love Greek and roman mythology! This book is easy to look up the gods and has great ancestry diagrams.
Nicki
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this and thought the myths were very intriguing, especially regarding the hero's. I wish it went more in depth at some parts but I suppose that's why you read the Iliad or the Odyssey. Well I think I am going to go watch Troy now and understand the references a whole lot more.
Brianna
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a fascinating book about mythology but I did not read it all, just parts.
Ariel Murray
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! I love Greek Mythology! ^ _ ^
Mayuko
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't think I'll be reading any more Greek mythology books after this... Greek gods are not fun...
Alyssa
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting. I loved the way it overlapped stories instead of assuming you remembered everything about everyone in the book.
Kim
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for those with little knowledge of Greek and Roman mythology. In other words, it's a good start. The sections are small and informative, but the book is a bit repetitive.
Clara
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
2.5 stars. Detailed, but better used as a reference for someone who's read the myths than as an introduction to the myths.
Emelie Johansson
It was really good and interesting, it contains a lot of stories and myths. If you are interested in mythology it´s definitely worth to read.

• Shadow of Time
  • Homebody: A Guide to Creating Spaces You Never Want to Leave
  • Cunningham's Book of Shadows: The Path of An American Traditionalist
  • Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me
  • Kamikaze Diaries: Reflections of Japanese Student Soldiers
  • The Sexy Book of Sexy Sex
  • Dodging Energy Vampires: An Empath’s Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Restoring Your Health and Power
  • Only Love Is Real: A Story of Soulmates Reunited
  • 鬼滅の刃 6 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 6] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #6)
  • En attendant Bojangles
  • De kunst van het kiezen
  • The Wave
  • L'enfant et la rivière
  • La Tresse
  • Gates of Fire
  • The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt: The History of a Civilisation from 3000 BC to Cleopatra
  • Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes