Start by marking “The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep” as Want to Read:
The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep

The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
"If we cannot carry our practice into sleep," Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche writes. "If we lose ourselves every night, what chance do we have to be aware when death comes? Look to your experience in dreams to know how you will fare in death. Look to your experience of sleep to discover whether or not you are truly awake."

This book gives detailed instructions for dream yoga, incl

Published January 1st 1998 by Snow Lion

Ada Heath
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading this book was quite a bit like doing schoolwork – the text was dense and required concentration, and I was left with pages upon pages of jot notes by the end of it. The many assignments within the text can be difficult, too. Practicing this book requires that you’ve already developed some fundamental visualization skills, since the majority of Tenzin’s exercises use them. Also, since a relatively small amount of the book is dedicated specifically to lucid dreaming, and the technique he o ...more
Taylor Ellwood
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, buddhism
This book provides what I would consider to be the best practices of lucid dreaming and dream practice. The author doesn't focus on the psychology of dreams, though he does provide some insights on what dreams can reveal about issues you're working on. Instead the focus of this book is on how the techniques can be used to help you release attachment to those issues and achieve a state of connection with the universe, without being drawn back to samsaric existence. It's a very good book to read, ...more
Mark R.
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author of this book, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, is a lama of Bon Tibetan beliefs. Throughout "The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" he describes the nature of dreams, and, inevitably, existence, and provides methods for incorporating dreams and their importance into our lives.

That's probably about the worst possible summary a person could give of this insightful book, so I'll end my summarizing there. As with "Sri Isopanisad" the last book I read about spirituality, it's hard to assign a star
Nikmaack
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually finish the book. I just gave up on it. while I am fascinated by lucid dreaming, I can't get through all the mystic nonsense in this text. The odd thing is this book is probably more down to earth than most Buddhist/mystic texts. I just can't take chakras & energy flow seriously. Even trying to treat it as a metaphor is a stretch.
Owlseyes
Jun 29, 2017 is currently reading it

"When I was thirteen, my kind root master, Lopon Sangye Tenzin, a man of great knowledge and realization, prepared to teach one of the most important and esoteric teachings in the Bön religion: the Great Perfection (Dzogchen) lineage of the Oral Transmission of Zhang Zhung (Zhang Zhung Nyan Gyud)....
Some of the students remembered no dream, which was considered a sign of obstacles. Lopon had them begin appropriate purification practices and delayed the beginning of the teaching until each stude
Paul
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't help but feel lucky every time I put down a book like this. Lucky that Tibetan Buddhist writings are so available and varied so far away from their place of origin, and in my own language. I rate many of these books as "amazing," not always because they read that way necessarily, but because the content is often so amazingly poignant, inspiring and deeply-rooted in years upon years of constant engagement. That is a little bit of a tainted rating system, but then, I really don't care to r ...more
Bernie Gourley
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in lucid dreaming and the subconscious mind.
Shelves: yoga
I stumbled upon this book in a used bookstore, and didn’t know what to expect--but was intrigued. It’s a book on the Tibetan Bön approach to dream yoga and sleep yoga, written by a Bön lama (monk.) Dream yoga is a term used in Buddhism and other Eastern traditions to refer to what is called lucid dreaming in Western scientific circles. My review will focus on the more than 3/4ths of the book that deals in dream yoga (lucid dreaming.) The 40-ish pages that deal with sleep yoga are outside my whee ...more
Ben
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No matter what your point of entry, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche has created a gem for practitioners, philosophers, intellectuals and spontaneous lucid dreamers alike.

With patience and openness, Rinpoche takes the esoteric topic of dream yoga, or conscious dreaming/sleep, and lays it open as an accessible aspiration for all practitioners without oversimplifying its very subtle complexities.

After an ample and inclusive philosophical walk through the the foundations of Buddhist/Bon practice, you'll sud
Gregory Peters
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find Tenzin Wangyal's books to be very well written, and this one is no exception. His explanations of dream practice are very clear, with much supporting information and additional practices that can be incorporated. A great supplement to transmission in order to dive into the practices and explore dreamlands.
John
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
outstanding. the most eloquent articulation of dharma i've come across yet. now to develop my dream yoga practice until non-duality is all that's left.
Nick
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has always been interested in Buddhism and Lucid Dreaming, this book was amazing for me. Though I had dabbled in these concepts it was not until I read this book that it all clicked together for me. The explanations of karma, dreams, and the realms of existence really made sense for me. I did take the more magical bits with a grain of salt, but that was easy because so much of the book is highly practical that it balanced out. It clearly showed how Lucid Dreaming can be a practica ...more
Kenny Sweet
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in using sleep as a way to push your spiritual practice this book is it. The spirituality is laden in this book, but you can throw most of it aside easily as the author does not gloat about it he is just teaching what he has been taught. The book is a quick read and well sectioned so you can gloss through what parts you're wanting to read first or reread. The advice is helpful in lofty ways and in simple practical ways. For instance laying on my side as the author suggested ...more
Tim
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating introduction to Bon Buddhism and Sleep Yoga. Good instruction on meditation, recognizing the different types of dreams, and how to better achieve lucidity.

I think the most important takeaway is learning how to control or recognize your dreams, so you can be better prepared to recognize the intermediary states of life between lives and not get lost in the journey.
Noah
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
While the author is clearly a master of dreaming, the overly technical practices he teaches are hard to understanding as a lay person. There were many interesting parts regarding cultivating awareness, yet this is not the book to help secular readers improve their dreaming techniques.
Bezaubernd
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
alles bloß geträumt, o bikkhus
Mina Panina
Dec 13, 2016 is currently reading it
planning to finish.
Jay Reynolds
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
"If we lose ourselves every night, what chance do we have to be aware when death comes? ... Look to your experience of sleep to discover if you are truly awake." -Tenzin Wangyal

'The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep' is a fascinating description of Tibetan philosophy, mysticism, and spirituality, specifically regarding the fusion of Dzogchen and Buddhism as they relate to the practice of dream yoga in Tibet.

As explained in the book (and to the best of my recollection), the purpose of dream yoga
Kakyn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wishing to learn about sleep and dream yoga
Most book of this nature is very tantric and difficult to explain in plain language in a book (especially without a transmission) that secular people can understand. Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche teaches the sleep and dream yoga in very clear language that secular person with open mind can understand.

Although I'm from different tradition (Buddhism) than TWR (Bon), the book is written such that I can follow everything. There are explanation on tantric experiences like Clear Light which can be meaningle
Isil
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Efendim çok rüya gören biri olarak, rüyalara meraklı biri olarak zaten kitabın başlığı yeterli. Kitabın başında doğu felsefelerine inanılmaz bir giriş yapılıyor. Rüya ve uyku yogasından farklı olarak, günlük yaşamda kullandığımız "karma" benzeri terimlerin aslında ne olduklarını tez elden öğrenebilirsiniz.

Kitabın temel konusu, meditatif hali uyku sırasında ve biraz emekle ulaşılabilecek "lucid dream" halinde devam ettirmek. Reankarnasyona inanan bir kültür
Andrew
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very thorough and well written. The author seems to have an excellent understanding of the Buddhist method and ideas concerning lucid dreaming, and a solid grasp on the confusion of a westerner's common viewpoint toward that and how to assuage it. Though he did seem to repeat himself when attempting to explain duality and non-duality throughout, but I suppose the nature of comparing the two with words leads to difficulty. And for how thorough he is, I am, admittedly, still confounded on some ide ...more
Ania
Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Buddhists
Recommended to Ania by: goodreads
Shelves: lucid-dreaming
I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. I found it far too religious and instructional for my liking. Not being a Buddhist I found the first 40% of the book a hard trek through Buddhist ideology, as the first 40% are just that. What I ultimately was hoping for was to read about experience which for me is always the greatest teacher. Religion and religious instruction, I find, impede my learning.

In the end I didn't get much out of the book at all to improve my lucid dreaming, which is the
Kevin
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This is a great book that helps individuals explore the nature of Dream Reality. Though it does point out that the practice needs to become personal, the training that is provided in this book does appear to be useful.

My experience? That maintaining awareness while entering sleep is a difficult process, and that only with diligence and dedication is it possible to maintain. I would point out that I do remember my dreams upon waking, but my ability to maintain lucidity appears to need more culti
Jim Parker
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A truly fascinating book. This book offers a rather complete, I assume, explanation of Tibetan dream yoga. I will assure you that I did not understand everything I read. Several techniques are presented for beginning a dream yoga practice. I feel like only the very basics should be attempted without the guidance of a teacher.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the more esoteric practices of Tibetan Buddhism.
Gergana
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Едва ли ще дочета този "труд". Ужасен превод на български език,издание пълно с правописни грешки и свободна интерпретация на текста.В някои изречения,смисъла си противоречи,дали от авторска разсеяност или заради свободно съчинения превод,трудно е да се гадае.Да не говорим ,че този е поредния Тендзин заламтял за западна слава.Давам две звезди,само заради думата Тибет в заглавието и оставам на мнение ,че светостта на Хималаите е сериозно засегната от "курса на щатския долар".Жалко
Keith
Jul 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Keith by: Michael Sage
Only made it halfway on the first pass, and two years later am still distracted from finishing. This is hardly surprising, and matches my previous experiences of trying to read texts about practices for which I have not yet had the proper introductions. I will return to it eventually, when the time is right.
Björn Norralt
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book kind of 'came' to me once, hopped into my face and said: 'Read me!' I'm interested in lucid dreaming and the book has actually at least inspired me to try this time to time, but it's time to time too Buddhist for me, as in not that spiritual, but more like too religious with the specific amount of hells and so forth.
Nicholas
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not disciplined enough (see: evans wentz translation of the book of the dead) or crazy enough (see: ESP self help books, or Autobiography of a Yogi, which has other merits). Just sort of boring. I suppose this is suitable. Does not offer enough historical background into these yogas (very interesting indeed), nor are the adequately described for someone wanting to perform them.
Bart
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
It begins with promise but eventually succumbs to the rote reductions every religion does: lists of names and numbers and hierarchies and analogies - somehow the universe's divine light of omniscience must only be accessed by closing the left nostril while exhaling.
Daria
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting book, but could be translated better. There is many words which can be replaced with simple one, which would give more clarity. At the end it's not scientific text to use complicated language.
Nick Mather
A nice little book that gave me some ideas for a possible doctoral dissertation. The description of Tibetan Buddhist psyhology has striking parallels with the theories of Carl Jung, though the focus of this book is a practice that is closer to lucid dreaming.
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • The Life of Milarepa: A New Translation from the Tibetan
  • Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • The Serpent Power: The Secrets of Tantric and Shaktic Yoga
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • Mind Beyond Death
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Volume 1)
  • The Heart Sutra
  • Crazy Wisdom
  • Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche (བསྟན་འཛིན་དབང་རྒྱལ་ bstan 'dzin dbang rgyal) is a teacher (lama) of the Bön Tibetan religious tradition. He is presently based in the United States of America, where he founded the Ligmincha Institute in 1992 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, in order "to preserve the ancient teachings, transmissions and practices of the Bön Buddhist tradition."

The degree of "Gesh
More about Tenzin Wangyal...
“When in the body of a donkey, enjoy the taste of grass.” 3 likes
“We do not ignore the use of the meaning in dreaming. But it is good to recognize that there is also dreaming in meaning.” 1 likes