Start by marking “The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep” as Want to Read:
The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep

The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep

"If we cannot carry our practice into sleep," Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche writes. "If we lose ourselves every night, what chance do we have to be aware when death comes? Look to your experience in dreams to know how you will fare in death. Look to your experience of sleep to discover whether or not you are truly awake."

This book gives detailed instructions for dream yoga, incl

Published January 1st 1998 by Snow Lion

Start your review of The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
Ada Heath
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading this book was quite a bit like doing schoolwork – the text was dense and required concentration, and I was left with pages upon pages of jot notes by the end of it. The many assignments within the text can be difficult, too. Practicing this book requires that you’ve already developed some fundamental visualization skills, since the majority of Tenzin’s exercises use them. Also, since a relatively small amount of the book is dedicated specifically to lucid dreaming, and the technique he o ...more
Taylor Ellwood
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, buddhism
This book provides what I would consider to be the best practices of lucid dreaming and dream practice. The author doesn't focus on the psychology of dreams, though he does provide some insights on what dreams can reveal about issues you're working on. Instead the focus of this book is on how the techniques can be used to help you release attachment to those issues and achieve a state of connection with the universe, without being drawn back to samsaric existence. It's a very good book to read, ...more
Mark R.
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author of this book, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, is a lama of Bon Tibetan beliefs. Throughout "The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" he describes the nature of dreams, and, inevitably, existence, and provides methods for incorporating dreams and their importance into our lives.

That's probably about the worst possible summary a person could give of this insightful book, so I'll end my summarizing there. As with "Sri Isopanisad" the last book I read about spirituality, it's hard to assign a star
Nikmaack
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually finish the book. I just gave up on it. while I am fascinated by lucid dreaming, I can't get through all the mystic nonsense in this text. The odd thing is this book is probably more down to earth than most Buddhist/mystic texts. I just can't take chakras & energy flow seriously. Even trying to treat it as a metaphor is a stretch. ...more
Ben
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No matter what your point of entry, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche has created a gem for practitioners, philosophers, intellectuals and spontaneous lucid dreamers alike.

With patience and openness, Rinpoche takes the esoteric topic of dream yoga, or conscious dreaming/sleep, and lays it open as an accessible aspiration for all practitioners without oversimplifying its very subtle complexities.

After an ample and inclusive philosophical walk through the the foundations of Buddhist/Bon practice, you'll sud
Ania
Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Buddhists
Recommended to Ania by: goodreads
Shelves: lucid-dreaming
I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. I found it far too religious and instructional for my liking. Not being a Buddhist I found the first 40% of the book a hard trek through Buddhist ideology, as the first 40% are just that. What I ultimately was hoping for was to read about experience which for me is always the greatest teacher. Religion and religious instruction, I find, impede my learning.

In the end I didn't get much out of the book at all to improve my lucid dreaming, which is the
Paul
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't help but feel lucky every time I put down a book like this. Lucky that Tibetan Buddhist writings are so available and varied so far away from their place of origin, and in my own language. I rate many of these books as "amazing," not always because they read that way necessarily, but because the content is often so amazingly poignant, inspiring and deeply-rooted in years upon years of constant engagement. That is a little bit of a tainted rating system, but then, I really don't care to r ...more
Bernie Gourley
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in lucid dreaming and the subconscious mind.
Shelves: yoga
I stumbled upon this book in a used bookstore, and didn’t know what to expect--but was intrigued. It’s a book on the Tibetan Bön approach to dream yoga and sleep yoga, written by a Bön lama (monk.) Dream yoga is a term used in Buddhism and other Eastern traditions to refer to what is called lucid dreaming in Western scientific circles. My review will focus on the more than 3/4ths of the book that deals in dream yoga (lucid dreaming.) The 40-ish pages that deal with sleep yoga are outside my whee ...more
Owlseyes
Jun 29, 2017 is currently reading it

"When I was thirteen, my kind root master, Lopon Sangye Tenzin, a man of great knowledge and realization, prepared to teach one of the most important and esoteric teachings in the Bön religion: the Great Perfection (Dzogchen) lineage of the Oral Transmission of Zhang Zhung (Zhang Zhung Nyan Gyud)....
Some of the students remembered no dream, which was considered a sign of obstacles. Lopon had them begin appropriate purification practices and delayed the beginning of the teaching until each st
Cian Kenshin
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most comprehensive books I've read on dream and sleep yoga, and I've read a lot of them. For dream yoga it focuses more on lucidity than OBE, but it's still very good if you like the Tibetan slant. The practices on sleep yoga are next level, and having tried them have found that they are very powerful and will continue to use them. Definitely an advanced book, you should probably be at a later stage in Samatha or concentration meditation before expecting anything to work.

I lov
Gregory Peters
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find Tenzin Wangyal's books to be very well written, and this one is no exception. His explanations of dream practice are very clear, with much supporting information and additional practices that can be incorporated. A great supplement to transmission in order to dive into the practices and explore dreamlands. ...more
John
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
outstanding. the most eloquent articulation of dharma i've come across yet. now to develop my dream yoga practice until non-duality is all that's left. ...more
Rachel
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tenzin Wangyal is a Bon teacher. Bon is a religion that has been in Tibet way before Buddhism was introduced to Tibet in the 9th century by Padmashambhava. Even though Buddhist and Bon practitioners don’t like each other and both think their own religion is better than the other, they are essentially the same. They have so much in common. Bon also has a buddha that they can the primordial enlightenment. Dzogchen practice of Bon and Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism is the same.

When I first read
Hilary Whatley
A guidebook that explains the nature of reality. Very good.

I love how this author presents views not often shared in this part of the world. Most of the teachings he presents resonate with me. I love the tips for lucid dreaming that he provides. It is a fascinating subject.

That said, I found the dream yogas hard to follow. It's definitely something that will need re-reading and a lot of practice. I would like more material on the breathing techniques.

The main area where I stopped resonating with
David Clapper
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the clearest book on Tibetan Dream Yoga that I have come across. Tenzin does not hold anything back when explaining the context and techniques of his tradition. Some of the other authors I have read on this subject excel in obscurity, which leaves you feeling like you have just participated in a power play, or that you really need "initiation" by the teacher concerned if you want to get to the meat (oops, is that appropriate idiom in relation to Buddhism?). Tenzin starts the book with an ...more
Nick
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has always been interested in Buddhism and Lucid Dreaming, this book was amazing for me. Though I had dabbled in these concepts it was not until I read this book that it all clicked together for me. The explanations of karma, dreams, and the realms of existence really made sense for me. I did take the more magical bits with a grain of salt, but that was easy because so much of the book is highly practical that it balanced out. It clearly showed how Lucid Dreaming can be a practica ...more
Kenny Sweet
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in using sleep as a way to push your spiritual practice this book is it. The spirituality is laden in this book, but you can throw most of it aside easily as the author does not gloat about it he is just teaching what he has been taught. The book is a quick read and well sectioned so you can gloss through what parts you're wanting to read first or reread. The advice is helpful in lofty ways and in simple practical ways. For instance laying on my side as the author suggested ...more
Movsar Bekaev
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Despite being a little bit too religiously oriented for a book aimed to address mass publicity, this is one of the most practical books I have ever read. A lot of useful practices and techniques are given with detailed instructions and theoretical background. If I had hard copies of my favorite books, I would place it near to Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming by Dr. Stephen LaBerge. If you are interested in being aware in your dreams, this is a great book for you!
Tim
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating introduction to Bon Buddhism and Sleep Yoga. Good instruction on meditation, recognizing the different types of dreams, and how to better achieve lucidity.

I think the most important takeaway is learning how to control or recognize your dreams, so you can be better prepared to recognize the intermediary states of life between lives and not get lost in the journey.
Michael Kilman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book

This was a fascinating read the encompasses not only the practice of dreaming in Buddhism, but also covered some of the core concepts in a unique and accessible way. Great read, but it’s not something you can breeze through. Slow and steady wins the race with this one.
Z
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Second pass.

First time reading this book was 6 years ago, all I remembered was this book was really good. Re-reading it now, and I'm now amazed by how good this book is.

This book not only covers deep practices of lucid dreaming, but a lot of other practical matters of reaching Dharma. The author revealed a lot of golden nuggets.

I will do a third pass soon.
Akshunya
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our mind has so much more to offer than what we usually take from it. This book is the guide for exploring those vast territories.

A comprehensively detailed method of practicing sleep and dream yoga. The world of darkness is not supposed to be left on its own. We need to enter it consciously to be able to guide our lives towards the ultimate path of non-dual awareness.
Tina
Dec 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: shamanism
I got about 40% into this book and realized that the exercises he wanted the reader to do would require me to get up every 2 hours one night so...I wasn't going to do that. I chose these book to become more familiar with Bon or Tibetan Shamanism because of my Reiki training...but alas couldn't finish it. ...more
Elliot Riley
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lucid-dreaming
Hard to rate this one. So much is being culturally translated.

“This is how the mystic lives: seeing the magic, changing the environment with the mind, and allowing actions, even actions of the imagination, to have significance.”
James Winans II
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Resource for Authentic Lucid Dreaming

Following these practices, I’ve achieved productive lucid dreaming on each night I’ve used them. Even more important is the clarity with which Dzochen concepts are described.
M
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on dream yoga. Clear and well written by a great teacher. Enjoyed his personal anecdotes in between instruction which made it easy to read.
Debbie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good book on the topic, but to read it, you should at least be familiar with buddhism. A lot of religious terms
Jeff
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very compelling. 7/10
Alex Hall
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Started out as lot of seemingly grandiose nonsense, but ended up being a very special and beautiful way of perceiving life itself. A gem, this book!
Lace
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The sheer lyricism! The reverence! Holy mackerel.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming
  • Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation
  • Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
  • Dream Yoga: The Tibetan Path of Awakening Through Lucid Dreaming
  • The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
  • Dream Yoga: Illuminating Your Life Through Lucid Dreaming and the Tibetan Yogas of Sleep
  • Dreams of Light: The Profound Daytime Practice of Lucid Dreaming
  • Meditations on Living, Dying, and Loss: The Essential Tibetan Book of the Dead
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead
  • Man and His Symbols
  • The Tibetan Yoga of Breath: Breathing Practices for Healing the Body and Cultivating Wisdom
  • Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • Not For Happiness: A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practices
  • The Dhammapada
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche (བསྟན་འཛིན་དབང་རྒྱལ་ bstan 'dzin dbang rgyal) is a teacher (lama) of the Bön Tibetan religious tradition. He is presently based in the United States of America, where he founded the Ligmincha Institute in 1992 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, in order "to preserve the ancient teachings, transmissions and practices of the Bön Buddhist tradition."

The degree of "Gesh

News & Interviews

“When in the body of a donkey, enjoy the taste of grass.” 6 likes
“We pass through elementary school, high school, and maybe college, and in one sense every diploma is an award for developing a more sophisticated ignorance. Education reinforces the habit of seeing the world through a certain lens. We” 4 likes