Start by marking “Defying the Diva” as Want to Read:
Defying the Diva

Defying the Diva

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
For Haley Patterson, freshman year of high school boils down to having a good time with her two best friends and making a name for herself at the school newspaper. But when Haley reveals one too many juicy details in her gossip column, superdiva and queen bee Camilla Quinn makes sure that Haley's life changes...for the worse. Completely ostracized by everyone at school, in ...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Defying the Diva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defying the Diva

Janey S
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shivangi Zala
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
In my book Haley has the biggest problem. The problem in the story is that Camilla a girl in my book is really rude and she has turned the whole school against her. In the end the problem was solved. How the problem was solved was that Haley stood up for her self.
Megan
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-my-possesion
This book was boring!! it was the typical realistic fiction book: girl is bullied she goes on vacay meets a boy gets dumped meets another boy stands up to bully and happy ending!!
Dominique
Jan 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
To start this off, as soon as I finished this book in 9th grade, I threw it where it belonged (it was a copy I owned)... in the GARBAGE. This was the worst book I've ever read in my life. The most obvious issue with the book is that you get a serious situation with some teenage girls thrown at you, not knowing who in the entire world these people are or how this conflict started. Why were these girls bullying her? Other than being "popular", who are they? Who is Haley Patterson? What in the fudg ...more
Amy
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book about facing your fears and learning to trust again. I really only picked it up because it was on my reading list and it was really only on my reading list because I had compiled a list of books which were nominated for the same award as The Hunger Games. And since it’s impossible to top The Hunger Games, I’m trying to read all the books on that list (with the exception of some that I know I’m not into that kind of story). This one was definitely a go ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Breanna F. for TeensReadToo.com

Haley Patterson is a 14-year-old freshman in high school. She has two great best friends and is planning on making a name for herself by writing for the school paper. But when one of her articles gets the queen bee (Camilla Quinn) of the school in trouble, Haley's life takes a turn for the worse.

All of a sudden, her best friends have turned on her, thanks to Camilla and the whole school basically thinking she's easy (info that Camilla has spread around)
The Library Lady
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay stop me if this sounds familiar: troubled girl goes to small town to recover from some sort of trauma. There she lives with her eccentric grandmother/aunt/family friend, finds a cute, off-beat boy who really appreciates her for what she is and finds her place in the world. Home she goes to deal with her problem--or she settles into a new life in the small town. The end.

Read this book before?
Well, if you're a YA or Children's librarian, or someone who reads lots of YA books , it should. This
Alison Paulette
Haley Patterson makes the mistake of turning down an invitation to a party being thrown by the most popular girl in school, Camilla Quinn. From that point on, she is a victim. Camilla steals her friends, gives her the name "Haley the Ho", covers her locker with condoms, and finally sends her a vicious email urging her to kill herself. Abandoned by her friends and afraid to tell her parents, it's all she can do to survive the school year. Her parents send her to Copper Ridge to stay with her aunt ...more
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember the 1st day I read this book...I don't remember the day exactly, but I remember that I loved it and couldn't stop reading. But, this wasn't any can't-put-down read...this way something special.

I loved the title...and I loved the characters and the plots.

The bad girl was really a bad girl and got what she deserved but, she was also a REAL villian.

The heroine was a real one...although she was saved by several people, she saved herself in the end which made me smile.

This book made me smi
Alexis
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-books
I am just going to say I am currently reading this because I am going to the library today to get it and I KNOW i am going to start it as soon as I get it. I am super excited about it.
3/22: I got this on SATURDAY night and I finished it this morning, monday. and i wasn't allowed to read this book on sunday, so i hurried and read it this morning! I LOVE IT! But the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of five was becasue there was like 3 swear words in it that bothered me. Other than that, loved it!
Taylor
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. One reason why this because the tones in this book really made me want to keep reading and see if the tone would change throughout the book. Which the tone did change throughout this book. In the beginning of the book I felt like the tone was happy because school was almost over with. At the end of the book I felt like the tone was angry because she just got away for the summer and the bully from school had to go where she was away for summer. If I were Haley I would have ...more
Israa
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Israa by: Samar
Shelves: books-i-loved
Honestly I didn't want to read this at first but my cousin convinced me that I should read it and that I wouldn't regret well she was right I loved
I thought this would a boring depressing story about bullying and awareness and how to stop it and it would just end up with the main character winning the fight or so but it wasn't like that at all it was a lot more interesting and fun too read I loved every part of the book it wasn't one bit boring I struggled to leave the book and I didn't want th
Grace
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I think this would be a good book to read if you have been bullied or are going through bullying. It is a about a young girl who is in the school newspaper, she gets the opportunity to be the gossip column and she writes something that her other classmates did not like. Because of this she starts to get bullied by the mean girl of the school. She goes away for the summer animist people that help her with what she is going through.
Catherine Richmond
Haley Patterson's work on the school newspaper draws the evil attention of superdiva Camilla. Haley suffers in silence as her friends fall away and Camilla torments here. Wounded, Haley escapes to a her aunt's for the summer. Her new friends show her how to weather relationships storms - male and female - and stand up for herself.
An excellent young adult read, especially for anyone dealing with bullying.
Makagbehc6
This book is very interesting.It all about the girl name Haley Patterson. Haley was a freshman in high school,when two of her best friends abandoned her friendship because of the girl name camilla.Camilla was the superdiva in high school.She hated Haley because she think haley wrote about her during her newapaper project reporter.If you read this book,you with get to understand everything about this book.
Marissa
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I thought that this was a fantastic book. The author did a great job of illustrating how much impact a bully has on someone's life. She also did a great job of showing how, even though it may be hard, it is possible to recover and overcome a bully with the support of friends and family. Overall, a really good read.
Anne Shealy
A good story that teens need to hear, but I think the author could have been more assertive with her message. I'm also concerned that Haley threw herself into the arms of too many guys. So . . . if it doesn't work out with our friends, a guy will save you?? This book needs a stronger message for teen girls.
Heather
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenfiction
Defying the Diva is definitely an "issue" book. Hally is brutally bullied (verbally) by the diva of her school, but over the course of a summer, learns to stand up for herself.

It's predictable, it pulls no punches about bullying, but it's enjoyable enough. Still, I'd recommend "Evolution Me and Other Freaks of Nature" for a better bullying book.
Abigail
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this a lot, but it felt like it kind of built up to nothing. I was expecting some big showdown with the mean girl, but it was over in, like, 2 sentences. It was kind of cute, though, so I'm willing to give it 3 stars, but barely.
Teresa Garrett
I learned that girls and boys in high school can be vicious to one another. I also learned that bullying can be hidden from parents and other adults and can often have tragic consequences. Sometimes the one being bullied can triumph.
Crystel
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Londa Kever
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Good read for teens finding their identity apart from peers.

Emma the Dork
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
a great book, really emotional and awesome
Eden
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
:D 4.5
Emily
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This is on our high school's summer reading list. It is a quick read and pretty good treatment of dealing with bullies. I recommend it for jr high and young high school ages.
Yudelmis Lanfranco
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
It was boringgg
Gabriella
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was okay. It was a good book, and I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't really capture my attention. Still, it was a good read, and I did like it.
Alexis
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it was a really great book. anyone who is getting should read this book. anybody should read this book.
Rachel
Mar 21, 2008 marked it as to-read
Released March 2008
Sunshine
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
great book, about bullying and how to overcome it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • My Neighbor Totoro 1
  • Plus
  • Notes on a Near-Life Experience
  • The Debutante
  • Fall Forever (Fall For Me, #2)
  • What I Meant...
  • The Secrets of Married Women
  • Wish
  • My Not-So-Still Life
  • See What I See
  • Sharks & Boys
  • Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
  • Face Value (America's Next Top Model, #1)
  • Disenchanted Princess
  • Confessions of a Not It Girl
  • After
I was born in western Tennessee, the eldest of four children. My father was a lover of books who taught me to read even before I started school. My mother was (and still is!) the world’s best mom and a lover of music who sang in the kitchen as she taught me to cook.

I enjoyed playing games and riding bikes but my favorite activity was reading. Among my favorite authors were Lois Lenski, Louisa May
More about D. Anne Love

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I'm saying it's totally oblivious to how people feel. Take the ocean, for instance. You can love it, but it doesn't love you back. It will suck you under and steal your breath and beauty can make you cry, or that the sound of the tide coming in at night is the best lullaby you ever heard.” 3 likes