Start by marking “Hippie” as Want to Read:
Hippie

Hippie

Let your freak flag fly!

Climb on the psychedelic bus with the Merry Pranksters and take the Acid Test….Groove on the streets of Haight-Ashbury during the Summer of Love….Get experienced with Hendrix at Monterey and commune with the mud and 400,000 free spirits at Woodstock….From the mid-60s to the early 70s, the hippie counter culture burst upon the scene in celebration of
Published August 1st 2005 by Sterling (first published October 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hippie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippie

Rebecca McNutt
description
If there's one era that I wish I could've experienced, it was that time from the Sixties to the early Seventies, the hippie years, that time when people began to really question the world around them and rethink their priorities. Love, friendship, fun and travel reigned over money, technology, work and normality. This amazing book captures a glimpse of a nostalgic, sadly bygone time and gives readers a way to experience the hippie counterculture.
Jim Nail
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is basically just a big picture book with some accompanying text. The pictures are pretty interesting, capturing a lot of the vibe of the time, and we can be grateful to Mr. Miles and his elves for putting them together, especially since they spew from the pre-dawn world before digital photography. I also read every word of the text as is my compulsion, searching for detail and atmosphere as I struggle to create a work of fiction set during the period. I turned 21 in 1969. I was there. This ...more
Chris
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
A nostalgic look back at a moment in time when anything seemed possible. This is not a misty-eyed light-weight self-indulgent fantasist's tale. This takes a hard look at the good and the bad, but most of all underscores the level of commitment and organization that these people had that made it all possible. A lesson for the willing.
Anne L
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Full of gorgeous photos from the 60's and 70's, with commentary on the side.
Very enjoyable for anyone who has interest in the "hippy" movement and culture.
Alicia
Nov 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Went over the main topics of the 60s, but didn't really go into much depth. Some typos that bothered me, some things might not be so factual, most of it you've probably read before if you're as obsessed with the 60s as I am, but the pictures are great and it's a good place to start learning about the 60s and it's nice to have it all in one place. It talked more about politics and the L.A. and San Fransisco scenes and less about NYC and Paris and a bit about London, but not so much. Of course the ...more
Frank Taranto
An insightful look at the counterculture of the late 1960's, when long hair and drugs ruled the day. I hadn't thought in a long time about how crazy the US got at this time. I don't remember bombings of draft offices at that time either, though I think I would have agreed in principle to what they were doing; that seems stange to me as I spent 24 years in the US navy afterwards.
In this day of political activism, I think it is good to be reminded of what the western world went through at that ti
Jason
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent coffee table book.

Excellent photography and illustrations. Content was lacking though.
Sara
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish this book had a different title considering no one like being coined a hippie during this time period!
Martin Castle
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read and insight into the era. So many things we take for granted started in this era and this book brings them to life with great photos and narrative.
carl  theaker
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: artsy, history

'Hippie' is the perfect pop culture nostalgia trip for those
who lived through the '65 -'72 era or perhaps for those who
were alive, but due to psychedelic influences, don't remember
it all that well. If you are younger, it will give you plenty
of insight, and material to embarrass your parents, or
grandparents; Did you really wear clothes like that?
When was your first love-in Mom?

At first glance it's a photo book, but there are also plenty
of stories. Author Barry Miles touches on all the topics of
Laurie
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Barry Miles knows about what he’s written about here; he lived it. From the
Beat culture of the 50s to New Wave and Punk, he was there. The title is misleading in a way; while it’s about hippie culture, it is also about the Beats, Black Power activists, the start of Gay Pride, and musicians- lots and lots about the musicians; people I tend to think of as separate entities from the peace, love, pot, and granola hippies. Of course not all hippies were dropping out; many *were* activists; there is
Christopher
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Hippie is a nearly 400-page illustrated history of the 1960s counterculture, mostly the scene in the United States, with sparse mentions of the London underground, and one brief section on the events in Paris in 1968. The book is divided into innumerable vignettes of 2–3 pages each on some feature of the counterculture, e.g. descriptions of individual rock bands, important festivals and protests, drug use and fashion, etc.

The downside of the book is that it is generally not a firsthand account.
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Is this a history of the 1960's, a musical biography, or both? Can you really talk about one without the other? Apparently not. Hippie is a broad biography of an era that examines the clothes, the art, the politics, the bands, and the generation that tuned in, dropped out and changed the world in 1965-1971. Covering not just entertainment, Hippie is also a history of issues: womens rights, civil rights, gay rights, and the right to gather peaceably.

Interviews with Ken Kesey, Abbie Hoffman and Bo
Alden
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You would expect a book about hippies to be visually exciting, titillating even. After all, hippies were on the experimental edge of a '60s youth culture that rejected the black-and-white world of the '50s. Hippies came in colors everywhere. They danced naked in the streets. They took their trips on LSD. They launched a rock 'n' roll revolution. And they created vibrant, colorful, sometimes disorienting photographic and graphical styles to represent their experiences.

So it's no real surprise tha
Aurelia Lomena
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yippie, I have this book! Searching for long time and I got it from Periplus Indonesia. This book is so FANTASTIC! Barry Miles explain about every single things about Hippie. Started in 1965 and ended in 1971s.

The art work of Hippie; such as: graffiti. Their music; such as: The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Butterfield Blues Band (Blues Project), Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, and many more. Their music festivals; Monterey Internat
Erica Schwer
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hippie is a descriptive timeline of the variety of events occurring in the 1960s and 70s relating to the counterculture. Along with the re-telling of these events, many photographs are included to go with each topic. The topics covered include art, music, drugs and political movements of the decade. California during the counterculture is also a large portion of the book. I could easily call this a great coffee table book due to the large variety of photographs, but it is so much more than that. ...more
PennsyLady (Bev)
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rock-n-roll
Hippie provides an insightful look at the "hippie" counterculture from 1965 to 1971.

It goes from the simple to the outrageous; but, I would not call Mile's effort sensationalized.
It just gives you the facts of what was going on at that time.

Chapters are years and each is brimming with highlights of historical, political, social and cultural transformation.
Narratives, illustrations and photographs vividly capture an age of change.

I believe the author visits the whole cultural experience and prov
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
As someone with more than a passing interest in this subject, I found the book somewhat disappointing. While it clearly focused on San Francisco, it totally ignored NYC's East Village, the east coast counterpart to the Haight. In fact, the book virtually glosses over NYC, instead putting a lot of attention on London. While London may have been the epicenter of the British Invasion and Mod scene, it was hardly a hippie haven. In fact, Amsterdam would haev been more appropriate.

There are many pho
Jeannie
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in this era, old hippies
Shelves: i-own
This was a wonderful book especially for someone who grew up in the 60's and 70's as I did. Chock full of so much information on the political views of that time, the Vietnam war and the anti-war protests, Woodstock!!, famous musical groups, popular drugs of the time, Make Love Not War!, communes, even Charles Manson. This book done a great job of covering anything and everything pertaining to the era. Full of more full color and black and white great glossy photos than I could count. This broug ...more
Connie
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be the end all on the Hippie era. Instead it was more of an encyclopedia of events that happened over several years. It just kind of gave me the basics of everything but went into detail about nothing. There were a few items then, that tied everything in to the timeline now and why this generation of kids are they way they are. But other than that, I was pretty disappointed in the book.It does have a lot of nice photos from the era but just didn't go into enough detail for m ...more
David Ward
Hippie by Barry Miles (Sterling 2005) (799.7) is sort of a hippie scrapbook from the years 1965-1971 with all of the important events and personalities included. It's crammed with photographs and artwork; the dense text goes to great lengths to place the various entries into historical context. Put on your favorite music, make sure you have plenty of your favorite mind expander on hand, and settle back to enjoy a trip back to the days of The Fillmore, the Weathermen,the Grateful Dead, the Trips ...more
Peacegal
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a massive coffee-table book, and a celebration of all things hippie. As with most books of this ilk, it relied far more on pictures than text to tell the story. I recognized many of the photos from the superior I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969.
Ellen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great historical perspective from someone that lived it. amazing photographs.
Explanation of not only the "sex, drugs, rock & roll" aspect but of all the cultural social & political changes that occured during this period.

Interesting revelations for those that came on the tail end and didn't really understand what was actually happening. the "Hippies" are not the main focus of the time period but a visual offshoot of what was going on.
Jon
Nov 13, 2008 marked it as to-read
Saw this book in Elliott Bay Books in Seattle (ah, Pioneer Square...) the year after college, down from Whidbey for a weekend to see Nate, Steph, and Matt VW.

Hope to read and own someday.

I feel like my fascination with all things hippie stems from knowing my parents were anything but, though lived through the times.
Daisy
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for any 60's loving hippie/mod/rocker etc :) lovely photography from Woodstock, The Beatles, The Stones, it feels like you're there, taking the journey with them.

Recommended for anyone who loves rock 'n roll
AskHistorians
An excellent, detailed history of the counter culture from 1965-71 in both England and the U.S, from Ken Kesey and the Magic Bus, to the music scenes, to hippies, and Vietnam protests, he covers a lot. Also, there are a lot of pretty pictures and it looks great on a coffee table.
Samn Ford
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutley love this book. Probley because i have a fascination with hippies. I think everything about this book was great. Amazing pictures, bands, and all that good stuff. Definitely check this out.
Kipahni
Sep 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-books
This psychedelic book is a filled with amazing photographs. It reads like a newspaper with short insights to each year.
The main themes surround Drugs sex and Drugs, which kind of burst my idealic idea of Hippies.
Donna
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More or less, a "coffee-table" book, Can't wait to really get into this. Let your freak flag fly. Far out, man!!!
Jordan
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
E - thanks for the gift; best coffee table book I've ever received.

Also, there is the cocaine residue left over from the unfortunate habit of friends.
  • The Haight-Ashbury: A History
  • There's A Riot Going On: Revolutionaries, Rock Stars, and the Rise and Fall of '60s Counter-Culture
  • The Portable Sixties Reader
  • Flashbacks
  • Bohemian Manifesto: A Field Guide to Living on the Edge
  • Growing Up Dead: The Hallucinated Confessions of a Teenage Deadhead
  • Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD and the Sixties Rebellion
  • Back to the Garden: The Story of Woodstock
  • Wild Child: Girlhoods in the Counterculture
  • Smoking Typewriters: The Sixties Underground Press and the Rise of Alternative Media in America
  • Can't Find My Way Home: America in the Great Stoned Age, 1945-2000
  • Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World
  • Weird Like Us: My Bohemian America
  • Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, a Concert, and a Life
  • Revolution for the Hell of It
  • 1968 in America: Music, Politics, Chaos, Counterculture & the Shaping of a Generation
  • A Blue Hand: The Beats in India
  • Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And Out
Author of several books and biographies, most pertaining to musicians and the sixties.

Miles has written biographies of Paul McCartney, The Beatles, William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, Frank Zappa, Charles Bukowski and Allen Ginsberg, in addition to books on John Lennon, The Beatles and The Clash.

He is occasionally inaccurately credited as "Miles Mabbett" due to his co-authoring a book with Andy Mabb