Start by marking “Ramones: An American Band” as Want to Read:
Ramones: An American Band

Ramones: An American Band

The authorized story of an American band who shaped the history of music for generations. Today's new music-makers are looking back at the bands that broke the ground, and the Ramones are it: the original high priests of punk, the stars of rock 'n roll high school, the royal avatars of rock, raunch, and rebellion. 60 photographs and illustrations.
Published May 15th 1993 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ramones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramones

Greg
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
In 1995 Ben Weasel wrote a Maximum Rocknroll column about what was appropriate to wear as a punk, be it to a show or just to head out on errands. I won't give all of his rules, of which there are many, but the gist of them are that the only acceptable way to dress, if one must dress as a punk, is to dress like the Ramones. T-shirt, black leather jacket with no spikes and if pins must be attached then they have to be US pins on the collar, jeans, a sneakers, preferably Converse (this is before Ni ...more
Ajeje Brazov
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: musica, saggi
Too Tough to Die (Troppo duri per morire)

Mica tanto miei cari "fratellini".
I 4 della formazione originaria son tutti morti, prematuramente, ma le canzoni che ci avete lasciato stanno sempre più prendendo piede, soprattutto dopo la Vostra dipartita, chissà perchè poi? Forse eravate troppo avanti, seppur nella vostra semplicità, o era proprio questa semplicità, genuina a rendervi così autentici e poco digeribili dai palati delle masse?
Non lo so, quello che so di certo è che quando, nel 2003 o giù
Brian Balich
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. A solid read with a good overview of the history of The Ramones. Personally I would have liked it to be more in depth - this is fairly surface level. But it’s well worth the read especially if you, like me, love The Ramones.
Benjamin Duffy
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book: it's a very well-written account of The Ramones' career, with tons of exclusive anecdotes and interviews with the band, their friends, family, and crew (the author knew the band and was able to get access to a lot of their inner circle). It's full of humor and it pulls no punches - it's not afraid to attribute to the Ramones the historical significance that is rightfully theirs, but at the same time it paints their personal flaws and professional and artistic missteps ...more
Michael
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After my delicate neuronal structure had been completely altered after hearing the first Ramones album,
I quickly grabbed this book at the library, the Edgewater branch, ahhhh, home, memories, reading this book in about 3 days,
The life of a 13 year old boy
Shawn Birss
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-nonfiction
Only a corporately produced "official" biography could deliver such a breathless and banal image of any band. Here are The Ramones scrubbed clean for, let's say, thirteen year olds in 1995, if the dated design is an indication. It may admit their "dope habits", but the consequences of such are completely glossed over, as are the highs and lows of the actual scenes represented in each of the cities it passingly mentions in its Wikipedia-basic summa of their career. Most photos are among the easie ...more
Jonathan Pincek
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I LOVE the Ramones: let me start there. But this book is written like a passed note to your junior high crush. Exclamation marks ABOUND. Not your best, Jim Bessman.
Scott Holstad
Let me begin by saying I've liked the Ramones for a very long time. Since roughly 1980. And while I've enjoyed their music, I never thought they were musical geniuses or lyrical geniuses the way Lennon and McCartney were or even Trent Reznor. It was just fun, fast music. This book is about the music, but I'm downgrading it a couple of stars because the author thinks the Ramones are the world's greatest band, for all intents and purposes. He's a real fan boy. But since this is an authorized biogr ...more
Davide Genco
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Dettagliatissima ricostruzione che ripercorre la carriera della band attraverso i giudizi dei critici musicali dell'epoca e le testimonianze dei collaboratori. Il lavoro è nel complesso molto accurato e restituisce efficacemente l'idea "progettuale" che ha decretato l'influenza (perchè parlare di "successo" in termini commerciali non sarebbe appropriato) del suono dei Ramones e le motivazioni dietro ad ogni scelta artistica. Un percorso segnato in ogni sua tappa dalla tensione fra revival bubble ...more
Jeff
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Jeff by: Goodreads
I didn't actually finish this book. It was put together so horribly. It seemed as if the writer was so excited to write a book about The Ramones and getting to meet them that he put aside any education he had on writing and released this. The whole setup of the book was annoying; random pictures in the middle of pages, exclamation points at the end of every quoted Ramone sentence, run on sentences, changing subjects in the middle of sentences. This book was so promising, seeing as it was written ...more
Plaidlad
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Killer book on the Ramones. Whilst going through my punk rock purist phase, I read this book cover to cover in a matter of days. The only reason I didn't read it in one sitting, is because of my desire to relish every word on every page.
Music historians must own this, or at least read it. Actually...
Read it or die.
Mark Stalcup
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it
A nice piece of work, generally, that falls short solely because it just misses the band's break-up, seemingly never-ending farewell tour, and the deaths of Joey, Dee Dee and Johnny which followed all too soon. An updated version of this is probably in the pipeline and would be welcome.
Matt 2D
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
If you are a fan of the Ramones, or just 1970's punk rock in general, this is the definite biography of Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee, and Marky. From their early days playing at CBGB's, to the so-called end of their career, this book covers it all.
p
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the content a lot. The author did his research, was knowledgeable, and told some interesting stories. But it read like a really long newspaper article, had too many exclamation marks, and could have used an editor.
Jim
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
The story of a great band.
Keith
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
An authorized book, so don't expect to read anything too juicy here. Recommended for young readers.
George
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reagan Ramone
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
THE American band
Lisette Bustamante
Dec 06, 2009 is currently reading it
i just started to read this book and i am on page 12. So far they talk about the bands inspired them and how they meet each other.
Matt
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Awesome Band!
Patrick Bair
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Hey ho lets go! A punk bio of the greatest punk band ever to bleed on its guitar strings. Nice treatment of the Dee Dee issues. Could have been better only if it had been written later.
Mona Sheikh