Start by marking “On The Road With The Ramones” as Want to Read:
On The Road With The Ramones

On The Road With The Ramones

The Ramones' music has influenced nearly every power pop, punk, alternative, and metal band. Monte A. Melnick served as The Ramones tour manager from their early New York club days in the '70s to their farewell gigs in 1996. Filled with memorabilia including photographs and interviews collected along the way, this is his view of life on the road with the band as "babysitte ...more
Published by Sanctuary Publishing (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On The Road With The Ramones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On The Road With The Ramones

Tom
Jul 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pinheads (like me)
Monte Melnick tour-managed the Ramones throughout their career. He described this as 'driving the special ed bus for a living'. The Ramones kept their infighting, their drug addiction, their control freakery all tucked away - they seemed to be a Happy Family.

It's a great read, but sad, too.

We shall never see their like again.
Rachelle Black
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ramones fans
Recommended to Rachelle by: I found it myself
I loved this book!I learned so much about The Ramones!The story was written by those who right with The Ramones during their legacy. Monte Melnick does a great job writing the book and was a great manager of The Ramones.
Reagan Ramone
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. Full of things that make you want to laugh, cry, and barf.
Mike
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This Thanksgiving, I was at San Diego's main library, helping my brother and his friend locate books on California Bungalows, when I saw this little tome. I snagged it in order to have the word equivalent of a bag of chips or bowl of mixed nuts lying around the house, and it turned out to be perfect for that job. As others have noted, non-fans needn't bother, but for the rest of us it's ideal -- Monte Melnick, as their road manager, had insider access their entire career, plus he structures his ...more
Teric Darken
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun and entertaining read from a wonderfully dysfunctional, musical family. Some of the stories are simply hilarious, especially of Joey's OCD. It's also a bit sad to think of the rift between Joey and Johnny... and all that time spent in that van to make it right. May Joey, Johnny, and Dee Dee rest in peace.
Margaret
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Monte Melnick should get a medal for keeping the band together; I loved the insight, the strange brew of personalities, and the stories behind hundreds of gigs.
Mike
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
As a veteran of more Ramones show than I can remember,this book was great.Not a book in the traditional sense.More like each person in the band,friends,other musicians,etc making comments or telling stories about various events from start to end of the band.
The author was their tour manager,so a unique insight and inside view.
Kenneth Whiteaker
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book about The Ramones available, though Mickey Leigh's "I Slept With A Ramone" is very insightful concerning Joey/ But Monte's book is the most informative out there.
Steven
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great account from the tour/road manager for almost all of the Ramones' career. Funny and sad at times as well.
Allan Heron
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for fans of the Ramones. Collected from interviews current and past from all those involved including family and friends, this paints an eye-opening picture of the reality behind the legendary band.

Monte was the glue that held the group together for 22 years on the road. That is more astonishing when you read of some of the things going on which would seem certain to split any other group.

It's fascinating to get a better view of the real people behind the cartoon image. But perh
Gon Zalo
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
De los mejores libros para leer sobre la mejor banda de todos los tiempos. Muy llevadero y con perlitas únicas. La versión argentina cuenta además con un capítulo extra de Mariano Asch sobre los Ramones en Argentina. Espectacular.
Joe
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The kind of book I will always read - writing is sort of cheesy but the vast majority is oral history anyway, and I love everyone tells the same story in different ways. What a weird thing the Ramones were.
Matt
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Date by date, story by story, the whole story.

Cheers.
Fabrizio Pedrotti
La traducción tiene varios errores de escritura y pifies. 4.5 estrellas.
Heavy Miel
Mar 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
Robin Ramone
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On Tour with the Ramones is a wonderful book full of memories. It's a must for any diehard Ramones fan. It dove into the painful reality of the band - Dee Dee's out of control substance abuse, Joey's OCD, Johnny and Joey's feud over a woman, and the untimely deaths of all three. It covers the timelines and personalities of the rest of the band members, Tommy, Marky, Ritchie, Elvis, and CJ. There is also a list in the back of the book from Johnny's personal notes of the date and location of every ...more
East Bay J
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music-bios
I lived most of my life under the impression that The Ramones were, in fact, a happy family. I mean, I read Dee Dee's autobiography but didn't take it too seriously. The bruddahs were alright, as far as I knew. My happy vision was shattered in 2003 when I saw End Of The Century and found out they all hated each other.

On The Road With The Ramones came out around the same time, but I've only now gotten around to reading it. Road manager, Monte Melnick, dishes the dirt on the band he kept alive and
Neil
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not too fanatical about my love of the Ramones, but I certainly have enjoyed their music for quite some time. This book provides a great deal of insight to the inner workings and turmoil of the band... there are a lot of interesting revelations for casual fans, yet I wonder if the most hardcore fans will already know about most of the details already.
Ultimately, I find the "oral history" style to be punchy and interesting. Several times little snippets of text are revealed to be parts of co
Andrew
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
this book was pretty dumb, but I read the whole thing in a night after Joseph went to bed because i am a sucker for anything related to the Ramones. The Ramones road manager wrote it, so it has alot of interesting stories, but also a bunch of dumb stuff where he talks about the minutia of being a touring rock band and how hard his job was. please, you got to drive around with the Ramones for 20 years. your life is incredible, dont tell me how hard a job it was. the greatest thing about this book ...more
Charles
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a conversational book, easy to read with many pictures. There was a lot I didn't know about the Ramones.

I usually take notes as I read, but I didn't in this case so my strongest impressions are from the end of the book when they start dying off. The eulogies were good. One of the road crew I think it was said something about how Joey truly lived the American dream. If he hadn't hit it medium big with the band he probably would have wound up dead a lot sooner surrounded by cans of food and f
Amber Woolner
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't reckon much on this book, I found it very basic and general.
In fairness to Monte.M, his book was out before Mickey Leighs, I Slept With Joey Ramone, which I had read first and was very detailed, so there was very little new in On The Road With The Ramones.
I also didn't like the books format , written in conversation form, with everybody chipping in, lot's of space taken up by this format and not enough written text, also, lot's of pages taken up with posters, hotel and passport documen
Tlingit
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like an extended interview. I enjoyed it. It included most things, wasn't glossed over and at the same time didn't go into deep details of many of the issues. Do yourself a favor, put a Ramones' disc on the record player and play some of the songs as you read. Remind yourself of Tommy's drumming, Johnny's guitar and Joey's singing styles. Hen go back to the beginning and read it again making sure you pay attention to who is saying what. Many people who were part of the scene then have burbs all ...more
Al Young
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this on sale, but it's worth the $17 price on Amazon.

I am generally not a fan of "interviews-as-biography" books. However, there's a lot of material here (words and pictures), all of the important people are included, and a lot of stories you probably haven't heard. It is definitively the story of the Ramones on tour.

If you didn't know better, you might skip over it. However, if you are a big Ramones fan, I am telling you to buy this book (or at least keep an eye out for it in the discoun
David
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A delightful little book. It's sometimes a bit chaotic as there are LOTs of people talking as the book is built mostly on quotes, and there are roadies, other musicians, the band members, almost anyone involved with the band. It was funny to have CJ appear in some of the early chapters, but he had relevant things to say. Lots of cute pictures and a complete list of ALL the show they performed. If you don't know or don't care about the Ramones, skip this book. If you are a fan, it's a nice look i ...more
Gerry LaFemina
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another oral history (which I wasn't expecting--was expecting more a tour diary), but this one made me laugh out loud at times, and gave some context for what I feel are the Ramones "forgotten" albums of the mid 80s (I'm listening to ANIMAL BOY right now). Beyond getting some words from old friends about the Ramones, what's great is how well focused this book is: unlike some oral histories that seem to wander all around, there's a sense of focus to each chapter while maintaining (for the most pa ...more
Dan Lee
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A surprisingly honest account of the history of the Ramones, written by their longtime tour manager.

It often seems like these sorts of books are self-serving and full of fluff, but Melnick told the story with warts and all: Dee Dee was a mentally ill junkie, Joey was an unstable socially awkward obsessive, Johnny was a borderline racist taskmaster. Even so, you can tell that Melnick loves these guys and what they accomplished together.

An excellent read if you're into punk rock.
Garrett Cash
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, nonfiction
Read this one many moons ago, I remember it being astoundingly good. Very informative on The Ramones. I still remember a lot about it. I got my copy signed by Marky Ramone too, when he signed it he talked about how much he loved the book! He even elaborated on some stories as he flipped through it. Fun times.
J.T.
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oral history style, from the fifth Ramone, their tour manager who stood by and saw it all from the early days to the bitter end. Good, the bad and the ugly. It's all here. Effortlessly readable, copiously illustrated, full of inside information and opinion.
J.T.
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and respectful of the Ramones. Presented as a series of casual conversations with members of the band, members of the road crew, friends & family (and Monte himself) chiming in on that chapter's topic.
Ben
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Ramones book I've read, not that that's saying a whole hell of a lot. It's got great stories, and was much better than I thought it would be. If you love this band you'll want to read this book, if not you shouldn't have bothered to read this paragraph.
  • Ramones: An American Band
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Let Fury Have the Hour: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer
  • Spray Paint the Walls: The Story of Black Flag
  • Destroy All Movies!!!: The Complete Guide to Punks on Film
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • The Best of Punk Magazine
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
“There was this one show in Green Bay when this kid was booing us loud and aggressively. Then The Ramones came on and he was booing them too. We went over to White Zombie’s tour manager and said, ‘This guy was booing us and that’s one thing, but now he’s booing The Ramones, and if you boo The Ramones you’re booing rock ‘n’ roll.’ So the tour manager went and plucked this kid out of the audience and kicked him out of the show for booing The Ramones. The poor kid had to wait in the cold without his jacket on and wait for his mommy to come and get him, all because he didn’t realize what he was doing. Monte:” 0 likes