Start by marking “Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners” as Want to Read:
Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners

Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Leonardo da Vinci once mused that “we know more about the movement of celestial bodies than about the soil underfoot,” an observation that is as apt today as it was five hundred years ago. The biological world under our toes is often unexplored and unappreciated, yet it teems with life. In one square meter of earth, there lives trillions of bacteria, millions of nematodes, ...more
Published October 15th 2007 by University Of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Life in the Soil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in the Soil

Adam
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been knee-deep in soil-science and ag-histories these past few months. The more I learn of soil's role in humans' ecological history, the more I realize that it is the missing culprit in both examinations of history and analyses of modern environmental challenges. And, from the opposite direction, the more I learn about soil ecology and the role soils play in the biosphere, the more I WANT to learn about it. Hence, this book.

The soil, or biomantle as Nardi sometimes calls it, mediates the
Michael Blackmore
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Liked it the sense of learning it imparted in covered an oft ignored topic. It certainly enhanced my sense of how abundant life truly is within the soil unseen.

I will admit reading it straight through got a bit repetitive since it is really guide and it cover so many species. Just the number of beetles alone is kind of daunting....

Still a good reference to have about and something to expand your thinking a bit.
Benjamin
This is more of a field guide than a sit-down-and-read book. I bought it a while ago and love it. It already taught me why I keep seeing little crayfish on the paved paths of Golden Gate Park.
Nancy F
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Soil ecology glorified. Great illustrations make the critters cuter.
Christian
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wow.. what a book.. what a topic.. it brings me back to my university Soils classes.. and adds a layer of wonderment about the "good earth".
Jelehla Ziemba
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically informative!
Jamie
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
This really is a very beautiful book. Nardi has produced very nice pencil illustrations of each of the major groups of animals that he covers. He also has put in some nice color illustrations and photos in the center of the book. It took me quite a long time to get through the entire book mostly because I spent a lot of time examining each illustration. They really are remarkable illustrations.

Nardi begins by giving an overview of how soil is formed, the various cycles of nutrients important to
Katie
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Meanigful reading given the rate at which the world is losing its topsoil. Soil capable of supporting plant life requires a complex array of biological and chemical processes made possible by the organisms that cohabit between the lifeless specks of pulverized rock and transform it into the medium we know as soil. When we've killed off these organisms, the remaining particles wash away, blow away, and leave formerly fertile ground barren. Erosion of topsoil is taking place faster than the earth ...more
Troy
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: environment
This is a thorough, informative book that provides good detail on a wide variety of organisms which call the soil their home. You will most likely come away from this book having learned some interesting facts about creatures. The book itself is divided endlessly into headings upon subheadings, so it reads more like a textbook than a novel. While interesting at times, there are portions of this book that will likely be of little to no interest to you.
Anna
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Life in the Soil is an excellent book if you're interested in how soil forms and how living things in the soil (especially invertebrates) influence that soil. The illustrations are beautiful, and it's a handy field guide to the major types of animals you'll find in the soil as well.

Read my summary of the best bits here.
Bonnie Lee
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Easy read. In fact the prose seemed aimed at young readers, not adult readers. That said, Nardi stays on topic and does provide useful information for those with green thumbs or seeking to acquire one.
Lindsay
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so infinitely readable.
Travissimo
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
read it.
Ed
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
good pictures of bugs, life underground
Eric Polley
Mar 28, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read so far. Not overly technical, yet enough to chew on. Mr. Nardi writes with almost a prose voice about the natural world in a way that evokes place enjoyably.
Ashley Millet
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very helpful and beautiful natural history book.
Deb
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I especially like the last section that tells how to catch and observe microscopic and tiny soil creatures.
Olga Volik
Dec 04, 2010
Robby Wrench
Feb 28, 2016
Ashleigh
rated it did not like it
May 24, 2012
Christine Olanio
Apr 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • The Soul of Soil: A Soil-Building Guide for Master Gardeners and Farmers
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?): A Visual Guide to Easy Diagnosis and Organic Remedies
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Greenhouse Gardener's Companion, Revised: Growing Food  Flowers in Your Greenhouse or Sunspace
  • The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way