Start by marking “Portraits of Guilt” as Want to Read:
Portraits of Guilt

Portraits of Guilt

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Inside the investigations of the deadly crimes that have shocked our nation -- the Polly Klaas kidnapping, Susan Smith's drownings of her own children, the Oklahoma City bombing -- one woman is the investigative world's secret weapon. You've seen her work: it was her composite drawing that revealed the face of the Unabomber, her hand that put a profile on Oklahoma City's J ...more
Published June 3rd 2003 by Pocket Star Books (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Portraits of Guilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits of Guilt

Catten
Dec 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember the hooded, sunglassed, seemingly generic picture of the Unabomber?

That's the work of forensic artist Jeanne Boylan, author of Portraits of Guilt. This amazing woman, who is also an America's Most Wanted correspondent, has been used to help identify suspects in many high-profile cases, including the drowning of Susan Smith's children, the kidnapping of Ruth Mayer, and the Oklahoma City bombing.

One of the problems with witnesses, Boylan points out in her book, is that police tend not to
William S.
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I write mysteries, so I was an easy sell for this book, by a crime insider - she understands the difficult art of portraiture of suspects, from the often scatterbrained accounts of frightened eyewitnesses. Several cases where her efforts made the difference between catching a criminal or not are given, as are cases where injustice was averted. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for those seriously interested in crime detection, this belongs on your shelf!
Melissa Hedges- Rankin
An interesting read about a woman who is a crime sketch artist.

At a time when it was unique to have a woman lead the field, we as readers are taken through her right and left brain methods of interviewing witnesses for recall of information to get the perfect sketch of perpetrators. Other subplots that went along with the storyline included: her own self doubts, her personal involvement and alignment to the families of the victims, as well as her personal life. Good read!

Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this as an interesting read, if not particularly well written.
Whitney
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book about a lady with a fascinating job. The writing can be a bit dry at times but it's honestly worth it. Jeanne isn't necessarily the best writer or a great storyteller, but her insights on her job and the process of doing crime sketches (at least at the time) make it worth sticking through.
Batsap
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, non-fiction
Maybe I just didn't get it, but to me this memoir seemed a little trite, sensationalised and self-congratulatory.

I got this book on the assumption that it would provide behind-the-scenes insight into the procedure of criminal profiling, but instead I got 300 plus pages of Boylan complaining about the system and preaching her own method over and over again. I admit that it was interesting the first time to read about how the traditional methods of coming up with a composite face can contaminate e
Diana
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A top forensic artist and interviewer gives some of her most lauded cases, including the Polly Klaas case, the Oklahoma City bombing, and the Susan Smith case.

Different from Gibson's book, but just as enthralling. There is no explanation for her artistic abilities though. It's also a little disjointed at times.
Shea
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy, interesting summer read. though i read it to specifically understand the benefit of deep listening when interviewing, it was also very entertaining and informative about the criminal justice system.
Dorcas
Read too long ago to write a review but I remember finding it a fascinating read.
Juanita
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers' Digest abridges version
Vikki
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is about the woman who profiles America's deadliest criminals. I enjoyed it.
Anciana
Feb 17, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How Did I get It?
Lboylan
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: set-aside
I think it was a little silly of me to think that this book would be insightful regarding mechanisms of memory. It's very schmaltzy in style, even if it is written by someone named Boylan.
David Lemons
Good book for those of us who some day would like to write a crime story.
Jen
rated it did not like it
May 06, 2010