Start by marking “The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy” as Want to Read:
The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy

The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy

The first American edition of this staple of the American household during the Revolutionary War. How to market. How to roast and broil and fry. Gravies, sauces, hashes, fricassees, ragouts.
Published June 1st 1998 by Applewood Books (first published January 1st 1747)

Start your review of The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy
Debbie
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy" is a cookbook with recipes, but it requires some cooking experience and the willingness to do a bit of experimenting. I had hoped it might give hints on how to cook over a hearth fire, but the author assumed the reader already knew these tricks. She says to cook "over a slow fire" or "a quick, clear fire," but not how to achieve this. You're to cook the food until "it's enough." She described what seasonings to add ("season it with nutmeg, ....") but left ...more
Idyll
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someday, I hope someone will find and publish all the reviews that this book received right after it was published. In the mean time, enjoy these classic reviews of other works by other authors. https://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs...
Amy Kay
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting, quick read.
Eileen Hall
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book from 1805 charting the history of food and eating.
The array of ingredients mentioned, most not used today, are mindblowing.
Jesuit powder - not sure what that is, Cod's head, Cardoons, Larks.....
The sections on how to cook ingredients are wonderful!
How to tell if certain foodstuffs are fresh is eyeopening!
There is so much comprehensive advice on cooking, serving food, plus menus and recipes, too much to comment on here.
Please read and enjoy!
I was given a digital copy of this book
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-tbr
I love to collect and read cookery books and this has got to be one of the more unusual and interesting ones that I have read. A lot of the recipes are not for todays home cook, but it was so interesting to see just how life was in the kitchen in the 18th and 19th century (boy am I glad things have been made so much easier for us, especially preparation wise.) I particularly liked the section on pies, sweet and savoury and have copied some down to make sometime.
I can highly recommend this and
Penmouse
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy reading historical cookbooks, you'll like reading The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy by Hannah Glasse. Glasses cookbook reminded me a lot of the old Fannie Farmer cookbooks when it comes to style.

As to being able to use this cookbook in modern cooking: You might be able to update some of the recipes to use in modern cooking. As for me, I think I'll enjoy reading this cookbook as it gives me a window into the past and helps me learn about how cooks prepared meals during the 1700s
Elizabeth Scheller Williams
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for us female re-enactors trying to show how food was gathered, cooked and served...of course it >IS< a cookbook from the American Revolutionary time period.
Primadonna
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: recipebook
It's always interesting to view recipes from the old times.

Some instructions can be confusing, and the measurements and all that aren't complete, but I believe experienced cooks can eyeball it. I'll try some recipes later on, they seem doable.
Nancy
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was enjoyable to try to read
but it was difficult to follow
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Dover Publications for a free ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an open and honest review.

Why arent cookery books written like this anymore? I LOVED this book! I OWN books published up to one hundred and ten years ago as the old cook books have some of the best tips and tricks that will be forgotten if we dont keep reading them. I will admit to being mean by not giving the full 5 stars, but I couldnt bring myself to do so for a reprint. And I should, I really
DelAnne Frazee
ISBN: 9780486795768
ASIN: B0188FBZN4
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley

If you are looking to cook over an open hearth like our colonial ancestors did then this may not be the book you are looking for without further researching the subject. This
Critterbee❇
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-g, cookbook, f
A very interesting glimpse at everyday cooking in the daily life of 18th-19th century England, with many helpful tips, tricks and recipes (for the day). The language is enjoyable and the information contained is substantial.

The book starts off with a comprehensive guide to choosing healthy, fresh produce and animal proteins (there are a lot of animal proteins discussed in this book, as that was how people ate). Following the market guide are a variety of plainly written recipes for standard
Melissa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately drawn to this cookbook because of the historical aspect with my history buff being rewarded in regards to the time period and the speech pattern evident in the writing style.

I can easily see this book being one used to demonstrate cooking, kitchen operations, and general living conditions of times past for various history classes. In the opening pages, Ms. Glasses mentions selection of meats, butters and cheeses. I raised an eyebrow to her caution of checking for mites and
Michelle
If you enjoy historical home making and cookbooks you'll like this edition. As with similar books of the era, it assumes the reader is already very familiar with food preparation methods of the day. Recipes are long blocks of text rather than organized by ingredient and preparation steps familiar to modern cooks. The book's organization and featured topics provide an excellent glimpse into daily life in the kitchen. This is an excellent addition to any historical home making library.

I received
Apryl Anderson
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, what-s-cookin
I truly appreciate this as insight for how my ancestors cooked over a fire. Skills! The only thing missing for a 5-star review is a glossary to define the antiquated cooking terms. Apart from that, I want a copy for my cookery book collection, for who knows when this could make the difference between post-apocalyptic fine dining and caveman cuisine?
Aurore Boréale
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a cook book full of nice ideas for discovering new things.
Matt Arthur
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a cookbook so it's not like you can't put it down but a great resource.
Cate
One of the bibles of 18th century cooking available today, Mrs. Glasse's receipts are fun, lively, often delicious, sometimes strange, always delightful to interpret.
Margaret Blackwell

• The First American Cookbook: A Facsimile of "American Cookery," 1796
  • Born Criminal: Matilda Joslyn Gage, Radical Suffragist
  • Marbury v. Madison: The Origins and Legacy of Judicial Review
  • Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • Sisters in Spirit: Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Influences on Early American Feminists
  • The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
  • Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language
  • Thanksgiving Recipes: 30 recipes for family
  • The Martha Washington Cook Book
  • Christmas in the Country: Family Recipes, Merry Gifts from the Kitchen and Sweet Holiday Memories to Celebrate the Simple Joys of the Season.
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Outfox
  • The Zane Grey Frontier Trilogy: Betty Zane, The Last Trail, The Spirit of the Border
  • The Marriage of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #2.5)
  • Anne of Green Gables Collection
  • The Christmas Barn
  • Mary Russell's War And Other Stories of Suspense (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes)

News & Interviews