Start by marking “Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions” as Want to Read:
Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions

Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions

This book, approved by Synod 1988 of the Christian Reformed Church, contains the Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian creeds, as well as translations of the Belgic Confession (1985), Heidelberg Catechism (1975, updated 1988), and Canons of Dort (1986).
Published January 15th 1989 by Faith Alive Christian Resources (first published June 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions

Start your review of Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions
Phil
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This little paperback contains three early Church ecumenical creeds: The Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasius Creed; followed by three Reformation-era Confessions: The Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dort. Brief historical summaries are given for each.

I have been meaning to work through these classic Reformation confessions since reading Carl Trueman's 'The Creedal Imperative.' I enjoyed all of them. They are remarkable documents. It was the Belgic
Nick Roark
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Beautiful
Mar
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Version is 1979, but it is a helpful volume of 3 creeds and 3 confessions used by Reformed Churches
Matthew Swett
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic resource for anyone interested in the reformed tradition. Well organized and easy to use.
Joe
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although nothing can replace our study and meditation on the Scriptures, I think the reading of these creeds and confessions from time to time can help strengthen for us what we believe and why we believe it. The text of each creed and confession has been updated and modernized, which helps laypeople like myself to understand these better. The NIV is often used instead of the King James for Scripture texts. I particularly enjoyed the Heidelberg Catechism, which I read here for the first time. Th ...more
Rod
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
" contains the Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian creeds, as well as translations of the Belgic Confession (1985), Heidelberg Catechism (1975, updated 1988), and Canons of Dort (1986)."

Good to read, It served a purpose. Most Christians wouldn't know what to make of this nowadays. I recommend simply reading and studying the entire Bible repeatedly instead. But this tightens things up nicely.
Olga
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A compilation of the three creeds and three of the standards of the reformed tradition, Ecumenical Creeds & Confessions is helpful in growing deeper in our faith and in grasping a greater understanding of reformed theology. ...more
Patrick
This is a great little collection of the three classic creeds as well as the "three forms of unity" (Belgic Confession, Heidelberg Catechism, and Canons of Dordt). I've read and re-read this many times.
Tommy Morgan
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Although all of these creeds and confessions are available in various forms online, having them in an easily referenceable print volume is nice - the "harmony of the confessions" index at the back is also a useful addition for study and cross-reference.
Stephen
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A collection of the three ecumenical creeds and three reformed standards in the Dutch Reformed Churches. A helpful entryway in reformed theology.
Nile
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
This is a good compilation of historical creeds and confessions. These are all freely available online, but it is nice to have them in a small book to see, underline, write in the margins.
David Meye

• On Free Choice of the Will
  • Evolution: The History of an Idea
  • Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • On Being Black and Reformed: A New Perspective on the African-American Christian Experience
  • Joining the Mission: A Guide for (Mainly) New College Faculty
  • The Letters of Paul: Conversations in Context
  • Chasing Lava: A Geologist's Adventures at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
  • Nazi Nexus: America's Corporate Connections to Hitler's Holocaust
  • Abraham Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction
  • War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race
  • The Galapagos Islands: A Spiritual Journey (On Location Book 1)
  • The Lost World of Adam and Eve: Genesis 2–3 and the Human Origins Debate
  • Ender's Shadow (The Shadow Series, #1)

News & Interviews