Start by marking “Listen for the Whisperer” as Want to Read:
Listen for the Whisperer

Phyllis A. Whitney

Listen for the Whisperer

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  801 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Leigh Hollins was determined to find her mother--the famous Hollywood actress Laura Worth. She found her all right, but it was not a happy reunion. For Laura was being haunted by the murderer who had killed the director of one of her movies twenty years earlier. Laura was being stalked, harrassed, and frightened near to death. And because Leigh was her daughter, someone wo ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 421 pages
Published December 31st 2001 by Thorndike Press (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Listen for the Whisperer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listen for the Whisperer

Moonlight Reader
Read for Halloween bingo. Not one of Whitney's best efforts, IMO.
Kristina
I’ve read this book a number of times, but I read it again over the weekend after finishing A Dance with Dragons. I wanted something fluffy and light so I pulled this from my shelves. I’ve deducted two stars from my rating and I’m re-writing the review because I have more substantial comments to make.

Phyllis Whitney, Mary Stewart, Dorothy Eden and Victoria Holt—these are the writers that my mother indulged in when I was a child. Of the bunch, Mary Stewart is the best. Her characters are more fu
Frenchie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had just the right amount of mystery, suspense & romance. I thoroughly enjoyed it
Arismeire
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A protagonista deste livro teve como pai um famoso escritor, cujos livros foram adaptados para o cinema e uma famosa mãe, estrela de muitos filmes na época de ouro de Hollywood. Leigh cresceu sem conhecer pessoalmente a mãe, vendo-a através dos filmes que havia feito antes de se retirar do cinema no auge da carreira. A ausência desta mãe e o fato de saber que havia sido entregue ao pai logo após o nascimento fez com que a jovem se tornasse adulta com a amargura e o ressentimento cada vez mais fo ...more
Becky
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother loved her books and would buy them the second they came out...a new one each year. She would read them, then my sister Sue would read them, then I would read them. They were always a good read, suspenseful and always an interesting setting...like taking a trip to a new place.
I got a little frustrated with her heroines who always seemed unable to sleep and decided to venture into dangerous places no one would go in the daytime alone, let alone at night...and because they never could di
Gail Morris
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for Christmas I received a box set of 4 books by Phyllis, as well as several other books, and this book was the first one in the set that I cracked open and began to read: as always you suspect everyone of the murder by the time you realize who actually was the killer. She had me hating people, then falling for them; I wasn't sure who could be trusted except the main character since she is too young to have been the one to have gone to Hollywood and lifted a heavy object and dropped it onto a fu ...more
Dayna Smith
Leigh Hollins has always harbored resentment against her classic film star mother, Laura Worth, who never wanted her. Her father's dying wish is for Leigh to go to Norway and meet her mother. She goes, but with plans of her own, and then discovers herself in the middle of a decades old murder mystery. Can she save her mother or is Laura the murderess? Another great novel for lovers of Whitney's magnificent blend of mystery and romance. No one does detailed settings better than Whitney.
shery
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
This was my favorite and first book I read. I remembered way back in my elementary days when I searched in library and found out this book so interesting. I became a huge fan of Phyllis Ayame Whitney and still missing to read her whodunit or mystery type of story. The story was about a daughter looking for her mom after her dad died and even her mom was very mysterious and didn't really knew her mom well, she still stood up by her mom side.
Mare
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Phyllis A. Whitney. Leigh Hollins wants to meet the mother who gave her up as a baby, Hollywood actress Laura Worth. Leigh travels to Norway where Laura has retired to after a scandal stops her career dead decades earlier. Once there, Leigh discovers assorted that amoung the various characters there are further mysteries and dangers awaiting them both. Great atmosphere.
Julie
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book! Lots of twists and turns to keep the pages turning!
Megan
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[July/August?] 1996
[December/January] 1997/1998
December 24, 2003
Rita
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read it after 35 years. Not sure why I loved it so as a teen. Must have been a much less sophisticated reader.
Yacharms
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my top 3 fave phyllis a. whitney books.
Jane Starwood
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of romance and suspense.
Phyllis Whitney is one of my all-time favorite romantic suspense writers, and this is one of her best. I read it quite a while ago, but I still recall how it kept my heart-rate rising until the end.
Megan
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Phyllis A Whitney book that I read. After this book, I became a huge fan of Whitney's writing style... of course, I was 18 at the time.
Kshydog
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-already
Written like mysteries used to be written. A true classic style mystery.
Liz
Aug 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I love Ms Whitney's books, but this one was so bad I couldn't finish. Thoroughly unsympathetic heroine and a dull plot. Boo!
Nicole
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the very first books I remember reading. I was in elementary school and I fell in love with books after this. This is a very entertaining read!
Monica
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like watching a black and white movie. I love Phyllis Whitney's writing style, but I'm only giving this 3 stars because the subject matter wasn't very interesting to me.
Gail
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!!
Kay
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic...I first read this book when I was a teenager or young adult. I just revisited it, and I completely understand why I liked it so much.
Joanie
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A daughter finds her mom after her dad died and stood by her side even though she never knew her growing up.
Rae
A murder that took place decades ago could prove deadly to a newly reunited mother and daughter.
Linda
  • Thunder on the Right
  • The Grey Beginning
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...