Start by marking “Marauders of Gor (Gor, #9)” as Want to Read:
Marauders of Gor (Gor, #9)

Marauders of Gor (Gor #9)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  782 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
'Tarl Cabot has struggled to free himself from the control of Gor's powerful Priest-Kings, but to no avail. Now he finds that mission challenged by a threat emanating from the planets forbidding northern lands. There, a menacing alien force waits for Tarl, who faces an awesome choice: protect his own position as a rich merchant-slaver, or risk everything to defend the free ...more
346 pages
Published February 14th 1978 by Universal Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Marauders of Gor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marauders of Gor

Matt Sears
Aug 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, pulp
“Tarl Cabot's efforts to free himself from the directive of the mysterious priest-kings of Earth's orbital counterpart were confronted by frightening reality when horror from the northland finally struck directly at him.

Somewhere in the harsh lands of transplanted Norsemen was the first foothold of alien Others. Somewhere up there was one such who waited for Tarl. Somewhere up there was Tarl's confrontation with his real destiny- was he to remain a rich merchant-slaver of Port Kar or become agai
Christian West
Oct 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tarl (who has had many names, but is again called Tarl) travels to the Viking north to avenge his woman (well one of them). Along the way we get a lesson in being a Gorean Viking and many many lessons in how you should just rape your women until they start enjoying it.

At least a third of this book appears to just be about women aching to be slaves, but that could have just been my perception as I glossed over some of the rambling in the book. Other reviews seem to indicate that at least the figh
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Just when I thought Norman had lost it, he came back with "Marauders," which is pretty much tied with "Raiders" as my second favorite of the series. At times it outranks "Raiders." In this one Tarl runs into counter-Earth Vikings and there are some great fight scenes, including one large scale one in particular that I thought was just about the best I'd ever read. I loved the characters here and the tie-in with the Beowulf legend. Norman was back on top.

Not sexist, at least not much.
Rick
I remember liking the Gor series well enough in junior high and high school when I read them but I don't think I would enjoy them as much 25+ years later so I will recuse myself from rating any in the series.
Brandi Hinson
Too bad he did not write anymore about the North.
Alex
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my quest to read and review every Gor book, even if it kills me, here is Marauders of Gor in all its absurdity (no spoilers until the obvious spoiler warning).

The 2 word review... Not good.

The 10 word review... It has its moments and its charm, but it fails.

The long review... Mauraders of Gor sees our "hero" Bosk (aka Tarl Cabot, aka Tarl Red Hair, aka Red Hair) heading north to Torvaldsland, a very Nordic and Viking-like setting in the northern reaches of Gor. If you have read the bo
Frank
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of several Gor novels that I read back in the 70s
David Mann
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some respects the real hero of the Gor series is the world of Gor itself. Many of the books so far (this is the 9th in the long series) explore the many cultures of the world through the contrivance of having the hero, Tarl Cabot of Earth, join up with a band of folks from a part of Gor we haven't really explored yet, and then in the course of the adventure we along with him uncover the mysteries of this up to now terra incognito. Tarl must be an awfully likeable guy since he seems to get alo ...more
Shane
40% in and I just can't do it any more. There's simply too much slave-girl description and not nearly enough story. Having got to book number 9 in this ongoing series I almost feel like I'm letting myself down by not ploughing on through these slave sections, but then I remind myself that they do tend to be taking up more and more of the novels, and so I'm learning to forgive myself.

I'll almost certainly read the odd one here and there, if only to reassure myself that I've made the right decisi
John Lawson
Tarl Cabot's all butthurt and pouty because of reasons... until one of the Others, the bestial alien foes of the Priest Kings, kidnaps one of his honeys for... other reasons. So now he journeys to the icy north, and its not even remotely veiled Norse allegory, on a mission of bloody vengeance. Snugglebunnies ensue. Oh, and rape and sexual torture. Lots and lots of rape and sexual torture also ensue.

The Others are these giant, toothy meatgrinders with wings, so it's a good thing during one of the
J.L. Day
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the entire series, there simply isn't anything else like it; they are decadent and addictive, completely and wholly something everyone should have on their MUST READ list.

Edgar Rice Burroughs BARSOOM series would be a faint comparison, I suppose; but Norman carries his characters to a depth of depravity that is reminiscent of a D/s or BDSM fetish fanatics dream. At the same time, they are not written in a way as to be entirely sexual, he merely casts about components and subtle subt
AmbushPredator
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To avenge the supposed death of Telima, and to give the author another thinly-veiled Earth culture to write about, Tarl Cabot ventures to the lands of the Vikings, or the men of Torvarldsland, as they are known on Gor.

This book takes us back on form, with some wonderful examples of Norman's dry wit, and culminates in a spectacular battle scene that would film well, should any director ever take his life in his hands and defy the feminist lobby to commit it to film.

Next stop - the desert of the T
E.D. Martin
Dec 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, these just keep getting worse and worse. I think I skimmed at least half this book because I don't care about the description, or the philosophy.

Don't read this; it's a complete rip-off of Beowulf (he even makes a reference at the end to Grendel).

I did find it amusing, however, that once again Tarl is betrayed by some girl. Is it that everyone he loves is weak, or is it that he himself is the one with the flaws that makes him incapable of a relationship?
Christopher Walls
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read this whole series in a marathon session, while stationed in England. The depth and volume of the stories is humbling for any writer and I consider this series very influential in my own approach to writing and world building in general; generic post for all the books in this series as I am finally getting around to recording my reading list in Goodreads.
Butterflykatana
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i found this volume to be a rather fun and refreshing Gor adventure. People tend to get all critical of the slave girl and the roles of women in it, but its a story of another culture with different views from our own and we all know this.
So I enjoyed the book and the battles that take place with in where written very well.
Jack
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was right around the time I read this book that I began to lose interest in the series (even though I read 3 or 4 more of the books). I kept looking for Norman to explore the Priest-Kings more. I may go back and re-read this some 20 years later, though.
Timothy Boyd
Ever read the old John Carter of Mars books? Well here is the more adult version of a man transported to a more savage world. Great adventure reads, but not for the faint at heart. Very adult material dealing with sex. Recommended
Allen Smith
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of the series I read. I read it for an english project and loved it, I then purchased the previous 8 books and within a month I was all caught up. Tarl Cabot is a great character, frightened, brave, flawed humble and proud all at once. His actions in Marauders got me hooked.
Groot
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The best book of the series, with one of the best denouements in the history of fiction. What mastery of suspense.
Kate
Nov 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Utter crap, didn't finish it
George David Moon
The return of Tarl

good addition to the saga of Tarl Cabot. a man battles hardship and his own demons and finds strength again. on to the next chapter
Jack Teague
science fiction,gor
Kimmarie
Oct 22, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
want to re-read some of these
Kione
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one rocked.
Kione
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion.
Norman's 2nd best Gor book after Nomads.
John
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1976 grade B-

Series book G9
Robert
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked these books until the author's "women should be slaves" ramblings outweighed the adventure.
Almustafa Couch
A fine read and addition to the counter-earth chronicles. The battle descriptions were really compelling.
Dahlia
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is my favorite of the Chronicles of Gor. Something about the setting of Torvarlsland just click all the right buttons.
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 added it
GOR
  • Wizard Spawn (The Sword of Knowledge, #2)
  • The Demon Hand (Greyhawk Adventures, #5)
  • The Witch Goddess (Horseclans, #9)
  • Fear Cay (Doc Savage, #11)
  • Return to Mars (Barsoom, #4-6)
  • Come Endless Darkness (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #4)
  • Champions of the Sidhe
  • Resonance

John Norman, real name John Lange, was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1931. His best known works, the Gor novels, span 31 books written 1967 to 2012, plus three installments of the Telnarian Histories, two other fiction works and a non-fiction paperback. Mr. Norman is marrie
More about John Norman...

Gor (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Tarnsman of Gor (Gor #1)
  • Outlaw of Gor (Gor #2)
  • Priest-Kings of Gor (Gor #3)
  • Nomads of Gor (Gor #4)
  • Assassin of Gor (Gor, #5)
  • Raiders of Gor (Gor #6)
  • Captive of Gor (Gor #7)
  • Hunters of Gor (Gor #8)
  • Tribesmen of Gor (Gor, #10)
  • Slave Girl of Gor (Gor, #11)