Start by marking “The Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  355 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
All the best flavors from all the Earth come to life in a soulful celebration of tasty and inventive food. From Didi Emmons, a terrific young cook who combines a passion for culinary adventure with a love for the honest pleasures of home cooking, these 350 recipes - with more than 150 main dishes - spell an end to boring and bland meatless meals. Full of farm-fresh produce ...more
Published May 7th 1997 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about The Vegetarian Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegetarian Planet

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,119 books — 1,055 voters
Cradle to Cradle by William McDonoughSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly CoyneThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Story of Stuff by Annie Leonard
Being "Green"
282 books — 203 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am not a vegetarian. However, using this cookbook, I could be!! I have only had this book for 3 weeks, and already I have tried several of the recipes. Every one of them was good, and most have been fantastic!! I have 2 loaves of 3 Seed Bread in the oven right now, and they smell heavenly! Even if you are not a vegetarian, this cookbook is worth owning!

I gave the cookbook only 4 stars because a good 20% of the recipes contain difficult to get ingredients. Other than that, it definitely deserve
Sondra Casario
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has definitely been one of the best vegetarian/vegan cookbooks I’ve owned and keep referring back to. My favorite recipe is her Strawberry Guava Jam and I’ve made it numerous times. It’s delicious! It uses some guava paste with a bit of lime rind for punch and is a stellar take on the traditional strawberry jam. I’ve made the Irish Soda Bread and Portabello Burgers and they were delicious. There are lots of helpful hints with menu suggestions and cooking guides. There are still quite a few ...more
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
An introduction to a different way to cook; I liked the menus at the end of the book that demonstrate how to make a meal from the recipes included. That the author is a chef and often evident in the long lists of ingredients which include items not usually in my pantry.
Jan 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: almost no one.
Recommended to Dianne by: people who can tell, just by reading the recipe, what is wrong w
Shelves: food
I am not sure why this book has garnered such rave reviews. While many of the recipes are interesting in theory, they are so negligently written and so poorly tested that they simply cannot be trusted to turn out edible food. Let us take two examples.

The Sweet Potato Latkes recipe instructs the cook to form a mixture of grated sweet potato, minced onion, beaten egg, flour, and seasonings into two disks approximately 5 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick and cook in oil or butter on medium-high h
This encyclopedic cookbook is stocked with recipes more suited for the bourgeois cafes in Boston the author works at than for a typical weeknight meal at my house. So I tend to use it as a reference. Forgot how long to cook quinoa for? Want to check a template for baba ghanoush without going online? Need ideas for what to include in the filling for stuffed shells? Go to the index of Vegetarian Planet .

There's a few annoying aspects of the cookbook as well. For one thing, Emmons seems to think t
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vegetarians and the People who Love Them
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook. The recipes are all very good. I have only had one or two so-so meals (and I think I might have messed them up). It is important to know that her portion estimates are for starving lumberjacks. So, a 4 person serving really feeds like 8. Which isn't bad...just good to know.

The recipes are easy to follow and delicious. Even omnivores like them (or at least that is what they tell me when I am feeding them...they know which side their bread is buttered on).
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dave by: Tona Hangen
Shelves: cookbooks
Chock full of deliciousness! Among our faves:

- Creamy tomato soup
- Dirty Rice
- Roasted New Potato Salad
- Masa cakes with salsa verde

And lots more. There are whole sections we still haven't delved into, but I'm sure they're just as good as the stuff we've tried. My sister gave this to us for our wedding as I recall, and it's been serving us well ever since. Whether or not you're vegetarian (we are most definitely NOT), this book is worth picking up and cooking from.
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie-stuff
Given to me by a dear, dear friend who I now value even more for having opened my eyes to this wonderful resource! Emmons filled her book with amazing & inventive--yet not too complicated--recipes, has a great knowledge of world cuisine, and included tons of interesting sidebars to help illuminate the lesser known spices, veggies, grains, and little extras that make a vegetarian diet fantastic. LOVE it. Thanks, YB #1!
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
When I picked this book up I immediately thought, 'it's too big! i don't have room for it! I'll never make enough in it to justify keeping it!'.... and then I went through it carefully. My next thought was 'Well i'm just gonna have to FIND room for it because it's stayin.' It's like a 'Joy of Cooking' for vegetarians, lots of extra charts and how tos and helpful ideas make it worthy of it's sheer heft. (and the recipes aren't bad either!)
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I have not had a chance to try very many recipes. The recipes I did try were pretty tasty, however, the index is not helpful at all, only listing the names of the recipes. It does not break it down into separate ingredients, therefore, I would have to search the whole book to find a recipe I might want to try.
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
The first non-Moosewood vegetarian cookbook I bought. So good! Love the ethnic recipes, esp. the tamale pie and the Thai tofu. The calzones are all excellent, and the All-American Pot Pie has replaced our Thanksgiving turkey. This is a huge cookbook with something for every course and palate.

Not the quickest recipes, but super tasty. Very convivially-written to boot!
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've held many cookbooks dear over the years, but this is the one that i would never want to be without. The recipes are innovative and surprising, but comprised of ingredients that tend to be in the kitchen.
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I am giving this four stars only because I've only made a handful of recipes from it so far. I've loved what I have made, but many of the recipes do take planning and a trip to the store. I recently fed the Smokin' Beans to a group of friends who LOVED me for serving it. Yum!
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I bought this book because I had received a bunch of beets from a farm share, and it had a recipe for beets that actually sounded worth trying. It turned out to be a tasty recipe (if you like beets, that is). And I love it almost as much as Emmons' "Entertaining for a Vegetarian Planet."
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I'm still finding new treasures in this surprisingly dense gem of a vegetarian cookbook. You definitely have to be in the mood to "cook" to use the recipes -- they're not the simplest ones around -- but they're inventive and the ones I've tried have been tasty. Overall, a well designed book too.
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Lots of tasty vegetarian recipes of all kinds.
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
If I could only keep one cookbook currently on my shelf, I think this one would be it.
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seem to have a lot of vegetarian cookbooks for an omnivore who loves a good steak.
So I suppose this is a vegetarian cookbook that even a non-veg can love. Kind of high praise.
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Made a delicious strawberry cornmeal bundt cake. want to make tamale bake next.
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
one of my favorite cookbooks. If you're in Harvard Square in Cambridge MA, check out Veggie Planet, her resturant. It's little, but mighty.
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: earthing
I LOVE this book!
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, favorites
This is my very favorite cookbook. I use it so often the pages are getting crusty!
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent source of recipes but not for the light cook. Some of these recipes are for the more kitchen oriented person.
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Laura M
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the best cookbooks that I own...everything I've tried in it has been very tasty.
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best cookbook EVER, hands down, no competition!
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Fun, delicious fusion recipes. Gets me thinking outside the box!
Jesse Edsell-vetter
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great cookbook. You can use recipes as they are or a a jumping off point for new ideas
Carlos Santos
Jan 20, 2015
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Vegetable Love
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99