Start by marking “The Man Nobody Knows” as Want to Read:
The Man Nobody Knows

The Man Nobody Knows

Bruce Barton's 1925 effort to reconfigure Jesus for the Roaring Twenties turned into one of the great best-sellers of the century. In The Man Nobody Knows, Barton depicted Christ as a man's man, not the meek, effeminate figure he had encountered in Sunday School. No Puritan or Prohibitionist, this Jesus turned water into wine and was "the most popular dinner guest in Jerus ...more
Published April 25th 2000 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher (first published January 1st 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Nobody Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Nobody Knows

Kerrie
Dec 10, 2011 marked it as even-if-its-the-last-book-on-earth
Shelves: religion
According to Barton, Jesus was the greatest businessman who ever lived, who had "picked up twelve men from the bottom ranks of business and forged them into an organization that conquered the world." Jesus was the supreme executive, molding the disparate apostles into a well-oiled staff, a great outdoorsman fishing on the Sea of Galilee and socializer (today we'd say networker) as "the most popular dinner guest in Jerusalem."

But Jesus as personal advertiser, in the form of his parables and those
Joseph Kumar
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Almost done. Radical.
Nothing religious. Gives a deeper and different insight to what you come across in your Church and Faith formation classes. A realistic and stronger view of the man that is Jesus.
Michael David
It uses quite a bit of literary freedom with the Bible, but it has its good points and quite effectively transposes Jesus as a modern man everyone should look up to. This is no Dostoevsky's Idiot, however.
David Owen
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love reading people's opinions and readings of the Saviour. As the author himself notes, we see far more of ourselves in the Saviour than we probably see the Saviour but that too is revelatory and interesting.
Jim Tucker
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring historical reference to "leadership" is found in the remarkable book The Man Nobody Knows By Bruce Barton. One reason why this book is remarkable is that the word leadership was not in common use in 1924, when the book was first published. Furthermore, the book is written by a well-known advertising executive; and the book is about Jesus.
Bruce Fairchild Barton, a descendent of John Davenport (founder of Yale University) established one of the most prominent advertising firms in the
Rick Vanmeter
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I've kept this book in my library ever since my freshman year in Bible college. That was 44 years ago. When I read it then, I was not very impressed with it. But as time has progressed, I found myself reading particular chapters for various reasons. Now that it's 2012, I wanted to read the book one last time before I put it into the archives. A new appreciation for its message came over me. In a culture that has largely kicked Jesus Christ to the curb, Barton's book was surprisingly refreshing-
Henry Sturcke
Barton was one of the giants of the fledgling advertising industry when he wrote this portrait of Jesus to counteract what he experienced as a sentimentalized distortion of the presentation in the four Gospels. His take on Jesus is well-summarized by setting a quotation from the Gospel of Luke at the beginning of the book: "Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?" The result can be imagined by the chapter titles: The Executive; The Outdoor Man; The Sociable Man; His Method; His Ad ...more
Ancient Weaver
Guarenteed to be one of the weirdest biographies of Jesus you will ever read.

The Man Nobody Knows was written in 1925 by a man in the advertising business who claimed (among other things) that Jesus was the founder of modern business, that he was a success due to a strong "personal magnetism," that he was a tough guy and a lady's man instead of some kind of "sissified" (spiritually minded?) girly-man, and that he was a blue-eyed (Anglo-Saxon?) sales dynamo with superior organizational techniqu
Joe Rodeck
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A look at Jesus Christ as a macho man with strong executive ability.

Although there is a rough draft quality & incomplete feel to it, there are gems to be found.

Parables as advertising? Many Christian reviewers are offended. But why not? A picture says a thousand words.

There are references to great American politicians, inventors, and businessmen. Lincoln lovers especially will be pleased.

A Man Nobody Knows will be more cordial to readers familiar with the Gospels, as others just won't
JOHN HARP
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a fine book that sets a good picture of Christ in a different perspective than you might have pictured in any of your studies before.

Many view based on paintings made down thru time because its natural for any beloved to want a picture in third mind. But hits obvious that Christ didn't care for you to have su h an image but instead Christ wanted you to see the father thru himself which is more important. For many have portrayed an incorrect perception. But it's obvious here that Christ t
Joshua
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was written during the 1920s by Bruce Barton (no relation to me), who was an ad salesman. It's a very interesting take on the life of Jesus from the perspective of Jesus as an organization and advertising mastermind. His image of Jesus is an outdoorsy, bronzed muscled man, who ended up sounding like a cross between the Brawny Paper Towel Man and Teddy Roosevelt. There are some characterizations and interpretations of stories from the New Testament that I definitely didn't agree with, b ...more
Theo
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-school
Surprisingly enjoyable? I didn't think it would be good - I expected to be laughing derisively throughout - but it really wasn't /so/ off the mark that I couldn't like it. Barton had a few interesting points to make. I don't think I really agree with him on his interpretation (he seems to be reaching a few times) but hey, his idea of Jesus' personality was a fun change from what I normally hear from religion.

Of course, take it all with a grain of salt: I've never read the Bible.
Jody
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. It was loaned to me by a friend and I read the whole thing in one sitting. Not only do I want to buy my own copy, but I'm tempted to buy copies for several friends. This is one of my favorites; it's inspiring and thought-provoking and something different from my usual catalog of books.
Peter
A commendable attempt to rescue a muscular Christianity from an anti-bourgeois clergy, by a shameless self-promoter. The marketing skill shows in the highly readable prose and the easy to follow story telling. An inspiration for my nascent novel, in which I attempt to do the opposite (i.e., rescue anti-bourgeois Christianity from the muscular capitalists).
Lauren
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Quickly looked over this book after I had read about it in a article regarding business. It was a popular title in its day. Reminded me of The Jefferson Bible. One man's version of the story of Jesus in the New Testament. It was OK.
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, books-i-own
A must for everyone!!!!!!
Donnie
Jul 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: most people
This isn't a good book, but it is interesting. The author tries to sell Jesus to us as a business man.
Brigid
Nov 04, 2016 added it
This is one that truly needs to be read to be believed.
Will
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Some points were interesting. The author downplayed Jesus's claims of divinity. It's hard to claim Jesus was only a great teacher when he identified himself as much more.
David
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this many years ago. Unintentionally hilarious. Jesus
as a businessman...
Andre
Mar 01, 2010 added it
I have the 1926 hardcover.
Jody Law
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • To Love and Be Loved
  • The Best Poems Ever: A Collection of Poetry's Greatest Voices
  • Chicken Soup for the Girlfriend's Soul: Celebrating the Friends Who Cheer Us Up, Cheer Us On and Make Our Lives Complete (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Sex-Starved Marriage: Boosting Your Marriage Libido: A Couple's Guide
  • The Vampire Princess
  • A Child's Anthology of Poetry
  • The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time (In Two Lines or Less)
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Thumb Index))
  • Which Witch? & The Secret of Platform 13: Two Magical Adventures in One
  • The Innocent Libertine (Heirs of Acadia, #2)
  • To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise